2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clearly he was grooming you two for future massive personal loans or perhaps a vehicle theft. 

The fact that he would put together a trip that ultimately didn't end up happening b/c he didn't do the logistics right is not at all surprising to me.  He wasn't exactly a deft planner nor a guy to think steps ahead on what needed to be done vis a vis nailing down tickets, renting a bus, overnight accommodations (don't remember if they were planning on staying overnight or not) or the like so that isn't a big surprise.  The fact that he kept the money and ghosted certainly was to me.  I don't know how much money it was (I think something like maybe $500 a head and he had 100 people so maybe he walked with $50k- I don't remember the exact amount), but I can't believe he didn't spend, over the years, way more money than that on travel, drinks, setting up tailgates etc.  I just never saw him not pop for $1,000 plus at any kind of event that happened and he had tailgates and the like at every game, home and road- and baseball in Omaha, and bowl games etc.  He seemingly had a ton of time, money, effort and self worth wrapped up in being a super fan- for him to walk from that was really really weird. Maybe I was just a young impressionable idiot- but if someone was betting on me hitting it big in any kind of time frame to be helpful to them that was money poorly spent, obviously.  

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Even if you factor in home field, those lines seem pretty off base. Draft kings has Big 12 title odds as:

TEAM ODDS 5/4
TEAM ODDS 5/4
Oklahoma -125
Iowa State +250
Texas +350
Oklahoma State +700
TCU +2200
West Virginia +2200
Kansas State +2800
Baylor +4000

Thought tcu might be 4th instead of okie lite...

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fact that he would put together a trip that ultimately didn't end up happening b/c he didn't do the logistics right is not at all surprising to me.  He wasn't exactly a deft planner nor a guy to think steps ahead on what needed to be done vis a vis nailing down tickets, renting a bus, overnight accommodations (don't remember if they were planning on staying overnight or not) or the like so that isn't a big surprise.  The fact that he kept the money and ghosted certainly was to me.  I don't know how much money it was (I think something like maybe $500 a head and he had 100 people so maybe he walked with $50k- I don't remember the exact amount), but I can't believe he didn't spend, over the years, way more money than that on travel, drinks, setting up tailgates etc.  I just never saw him not pop for $1,000 plus at any kind of event that happened and he had tailgates and the like at every game, home and road- and baseball in Omaha, and bowl games etc.  He seemingly had a ton of time, money, effort and self worth wrapped up in being a super fan- for him to walk from that was really really weird. Maybe I was just a young impressionable idiot- but if someone was betting on me hitting it big in any kind of time frame to be helpful to them that was money poorly spent, obviously.  

Good synopsis.  Is anyone friends with Bob these days? 

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk where he’s getting those odds from, but some of them seem way off. I’d bet the house on Texas -1 vs. WVU. Like seriously, anyone know where I can find those odds to lay down some money? 
WVU’s had a ton of attrition and don’t have much at QB. 

We're a combined 21 point dog to OU and Iowa St. Yeah that's not going to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Good synopsis.  Is anyone friends with Bob these days? 

Nobody that I knew from that crew was.  I think everyone continued to tailgate in that general area for a while and then I got the sense everyone scattered.  But nobody knew what he was up to nor stayed in touch with him.  

Someone did find him on facebook a while later and it looked like he had re-invented himself as some hipster urban guy. He was posting "sunday funday" brunch pictures and the like the way I heard it- about as far removed from his rancher cattle guy persona as you could get, but nobody would claim being friends with him. 

@Bernard used to roll in that crew and I'm sure some others- Bernard- did you ever hear what happened with him or know anyone who was still in touch after the OSU bus debacle?

Also- as I recall one of the guys from that crew that had decent money was like- hey Wheeler- what's up man. If you need the money lets talk and I will help you make good after all the years of entertainment and food/booze I've gotten off you. He didn't even respond to that.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nobody that I knew from that crew was.  I think everyone continued to tailgate in that general area for a while and then I got the sense everyone scattered.  But nobody knew what he was up to nor stayed in touch with him.  

Someone did find him on facebook a while later and it looked like he had re-invented himself as some hipster urban guy. He was posting "sunday funday" brunch pictures and the like the way I heard it- about as far removed from his rancher cattle guy persona as you could get, but nobody would claim being friends with him. 

@Bernard used to roll in that crew and I'm sure some others- Bernard- did you ever hear what happened with him or know anyone who was still in touch after the OSU bus debacle?

Also- as I recall one of the guys from that crew that had decent money was like- hey Wheeler- what's up man. If you need the money lets talk and I will help you make good after all the years of entertainment and food/booze I've gotten off you. He didn't even respond to that.  

Like what happened to the money and did Bob just feel entitled to it? Also, I heard he and Cleve got into it one day.

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Like what happened to the money and did Bob just feel entitled to it? Also, I heard he and Cleve got into it one day.

I mean- nobody heard from him so nobody knows his rationale.  He sure as shit kept the money.  Did he justify that by saying it was payback for all he did?  I'm sure on some level he did- but it was basically straight up fraud/theft.  I think there might have been a couple people at some point in time talk about getting the law involved, but as nobody was out a large amount of money or anything they couldn't afford, and they were all on some level friendly with him or they wouldn't have signed up for the whole deal I don't think anything like that ever happened.

My guess is that he was just jammed up, needed the money, and took it. Which if that's true its a shame- b/c if he really was in need I feel like he could have put out the word and got what he needed ala "It's a wonderful life".  He had that whole splinter website from Honfans (longhornfanzone) pretty much on his side and that site wasn't insignificant. 

Matt who writes The week that will be and drew were in that group and a bunch of others that people who have been around for a long time would know.  I don't know who all has what handle anymore and this was all a really long time ago. 

Yes- he did get into it with Cleve one day I dimly remember. I think it had something to do with practice and camera's or notes or something like that.  This was all a lot of years and a lot of beers ago, so I'm pretty much at my limit of what I remember. 

The interesting thing about all of this is that Wheeler and Agnor's falling out started the splintering of Texas Longhorn internetdom that we still have today.  Texags consolidated and never lost their grip on the market and now they are the biggest and baddest college athletic site on the internet.  But once upon a time- horn fans was easily that big a deal before the split (which happed right after the bottom fell out of the ad rates for banner ads seemingly ovenight) happened- and could have gone the same way as Texags. Instead we splintered into a bunch of different boards all over the place while they remain a monolith.  It's not exactly news though that aggies shut up and get in line while we have a lot more individualism and schisms.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to print out those novel length matchup previews Longhorn Bob would do before every game and read them while taking a shit. I was pretty young so I can't speak to the quality of the writing or analysis but I loved diving into those things and getting deeper context about our upcoming games. Weirdly Bob is partially responsible for my Longhorn football obsession when I was in middle school/early high school to now.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I hung around the edges.  Not really a regular, but I was there a decent amount of time.  That whole deal was just fucking weird.  Looking back on it, the fact that Bob Wheeler and Katy Agnor were ever business partners is somewhat amazing to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- nobody heard from him so nobody knows his rationale.  He sure as shit kept the money.  Did he justify that by saying it was payback for all he did?  I'm sure on some level he did- but it was basically straight up fraud/theft.  I think there might have been a couple people at some point in time talk about getting the law involved, but as nobody was out a large amount of money or anything they couldn't afford, and they were all on some level friendly with him or they wouldn't have signed up for the whole deal I don't think anything like that ever happened.

My guess is that he was just jammed up, needed the money, and took it. Which if that's true its a shame- b/c if he really was in need I feel like he could have put out the word and got what he needed ala "It's a wonderful life".  He had that whole splinter website from Honfans (longhornfanzone) pretty much on his side and that site wasn't insignificant. 

Matt who writes The week that will be and drew were in that group and a bunch of others that people who have been around for a long time would know.  I don't know who all has what handle anymore and this was all a really long time ago. 

Yes- he did get into it with Cleve one day I dimly remember. I think it had something to do with practice and camera's or notes or something like that.  This was all a lot of years and a lot of beers ago, so I'm pretty much at my limit of what I remember. 

The interesting thing about all of this is that Wheeler and Agnor's falling out started the splintering of Texas Longhorn internetdom that we still have today.  Texags consolidated and never lost their grip on the market and now they are the biggest and baddest college athletic site on the internet.  But once upon a time- horn fans was easily that big a deal before the split (which happed right after the bottom fell out of the ad rates for banner ads seemingly ovenight) happened- and could have gone the same way as Texags. Instead we splintered into a bunch of different boards all over the place while they remain a monolith.  It's not exactly news though that aggies shut up and get in line while we have a lot more individualism and schisms.  

I remember Hornfans.  It was a great site.  Was.

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

JFC @JFKFC

I think this is the 2nd time these guys have tweeted out one of my posts. Let's all pray to Vishnu that they don't find any of my posts about Herman during the overtime against OU, or Surly could get shut down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was a regular on longhornfanzone. I actually miss that site 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

First of all, I don't think I have that book anymore. I've moved many times since then and I just can't imagine finding that book worthy of being lugged from site to site. It was pretty much unreadable. 

Second, while I understand some of y'all are nostalgic about good ol'Wheeler, the guy was a huckster, as evidenced by numerous actions, including the one you guys are freely acknowledging. He had solid streaks of narcissism running through his personality, had a napoleon complex, and used his folksy good ol'boy approach to dupe people into believing there was more substance to him than was truly there. You guys just fell prey to it while green and young. 

Finally, irrespective of how generous he came across at points, the dude absconded with a felonious amount of money. It's always been crazy to me that he wasn't pursued for that. 

His low quality write-ups and bullshit facade made him a fun and easy target of mockery and derision for a number of us who were young and carried longer knives at the time. Watching him lose his shit over it on the Internet was high entertainment. Is that petty and childish? Probably, but I'm not above either of those issues.

Also, I believe he currently posts on this site as @RGBIII.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

First of all, I don't think I have that book anymore. I've moved many times since then and I just can't imagine finding that book worthy of being lugged from site to site. It was pretty much unreadable. 

Second, while I understand some of y'all are nostalgic about good ol'Wheeler, the guy was a huckster, as evidenced by numerous actions, including the one you guys are freely acknowledging. He had solid streaks of narcissism running through his personality, had a napoleon complex, and used his folksy good ol'boy approach to dupe people into believing there was more substance to him than was truly there. You guys just fell prey to it while green and young. 

Finally, irrespective of how generous he came across at points, the dude absconded with a felonious amount of money. It's always been crazy to me that he wasn't pursued for that. 

His low quality write-ups and bullshit facade made him a fun and easy target of mockery and derision for a number of us who were young and carried longer knives at the time. Watching him lose his shit over it on the Internet was high entertainment. Is that petty and childish? Probably, but I'm not above either of those issues.

Oh I 100% agree with everything you said. He introduced me to the longhorn internet and I’ve enjoyed that for 20 years. I probably would have someday found it on my own- but I didn’t so I always will have a soft spot for him. It’s like an old girl friend that you had fun times with and the breakup wasn’t painful because it needed to happen that you can remember the good times. But yeah- everything you said was true in retrospect and played out that way with the felonious action.

Wheeler.jpg

From building fences to scoring touchdowns to making sales calls, the author shows you how everything in your life is a chance to show what you're made of, and these Texas tales of little league lessons and corporate challenges will show you how to excel the Lone Star way, with pride and determination. Reads like a backyard chat with that neighbor you always go to for advice, and is a must for any coach, teacher, parent, or employer. Wheeler spins yarns about everything from trips with Grandpa to boardroom fracases that will inspire you to win the game on the field, in the classroom, or in the courthouse, and you just might have enough fun reading it that you won't realize you're learning until you're done.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Walter White I Give Up GIF by Breaking Bad

Although I have absolutely zero clue who or what you guys are talking about but 

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

His low quality write-ups and bullshit facade made him a fun and easy target of mockery and derision for a number of us

this part speaks to me, just replace write ups with podcast

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm friends with Bob to this day. He's doing great. He been living a very domesticated, small town life for a decade plus now. He's 180-ed from seeking the spotlight to shunning it. He owns/runs several successful businesses. 

I've heard his version of the OSU bus story, which adds many other details than were publicly discussed. No doubt it was a giant clusterfuck. I really don't remember all the deets, so I'm not here to contradict anyone's version of the story either. I'm sure some folks directly involved in the situation rightfully feel like they got jobbed, but I don't believe any of their money went to line Bob's pockets. Bob has his share of shortcomings, just like the rest of us. He's never been short on cash though. He's full of big ideas, but the execution is sometimes lacking. His intentions were always good.

The last great Wheeler boondoggle I participated in was relief caravan to Moore, OK after the F5 hit in 2013(?). A dozen or so caravan-ed there to help out. We spent a whole day moving what remained of a smashed house out to the street literally brick-by-brink, bucket brigade style. Incredible amount of work. Homeowner was thrilled. We uncovered a few items he was really hoping to find. Was it fun? Yes. Was is well organized? No. Did we help people? No doubt. Did we spend hours being confused and uncertain and spinning our wheels at times? Yep. Typical Wheeler event. I'd do it again in a second. 

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I'm friends with Bob to this day. He's doing great. He been living a very domesticated, small town life for a decade plus now. He's 180-ed from seeking the spotlight to shunning it. He owns/runs several successful businesses. 

I've heard his version of the OSU bus story, which adds many other details than were publicly discussed. No doubt it was a giant clusterfuck. I really don't remember all the deets, so I'm not here to contradict anyone's version of the story either. I'm sure some folks directly involved in the situation rightfully feel like they got jobbed, but I don't believe any of their money went to line Bob's pockets. Bob has his share of shortcomings, just like the rest of us. He's never been short on cash though. He's full of big ideas, but the execution is sometimes lacking. His intentions were always good.

The last great Wheeler boondoggle I participated in was relief caravan to Moore, OK after the F5 hit in 2013(?). A dozen or so caravan-ed there to help out. We spent a whole day moving what remained of a smashed house out to the street literally brick-by-brink, bucket brigade style. Incredible amount of work. Homeowner was thrilled. We uncovered a few items he was really hoping to find. Was it fun? Yes. Was is well organized? No. Did we help people? No doubt. Did we spend hours being confused and uncertain and spinning our wheels at times? Yep. Typical Wheeler event. I'd do it again in a second. 

Bernard

I vaguely remember getting tickets through Wheeler to the Tulane game in New Orleans, maybe around 2003 or so?  I think he organized some deal where you got some pretty decent seats, hospitality suite and some other stuff I don't remember.  Am I remembering that correctly?

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know how much money it was (I think something like maybe $500 a head and he had 100 people so maybe he walked with $50k- I don't remember the exact amount),

The OSU bus trip has officially become an urban legend. I can assure you, the total actual losses involved were no where near that number. More like $1,000-$2,000 IIRC.

Bernard

7 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

I vaguely remember getting tickets through Wheeler to the Tulane game in New Orleans, maybe around 2003 or so?  I think he organized some deal where you got some pretty decent seats, hospitality suite and some other stuff I don't remember.  Am I remembering that correctly?

Not sure. I was at that game, but with a different group of friends. Fun weekend. I recall one of our guys was too hung over on Saturday to even get out of bed. He couldn't even rally for the 2:30(?) kickoff. We slid his game ticket between his cheek and pillow. He showed up at the Super Dome in the 4th Quarter.

Bernard

48 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Not sure. I was at that game, but with a different group of friends. Fun weekend. I recall one of our guys was too hung over on Saturday to even get out of bed. He couldn't even rally for the 2:30(?) kickoff. We slid his game ticket between his cheek and pillow. He showed up at the Super Dome in the 4th Quarter.

Bernard

no duck tape to tape it to his ass?

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

The OSU bus trip has officially become an urban legend. I can assure you, the total actual losses involved were no where near that number. More like $1,000-$2,000 IIRC.

Bernard

I wasn’t involved at that time. Was going off what everyone said. That makes me feel better. As I said- I always had a soft spot for him and that bummed me out. 

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

Yeah that’s my recollection too; not so much an intentional fucking as general fuckup-ery...

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

I recall thinking about going.  If it was $500/head I would not have been thinking about going at that particular point in my life.

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I recall thinking about going.  If it was $500/head I would not have been thinking about going at that particular point in my life.

I was thinking it was bus trip, ticket and overnight but it’s been so long who the hell knows. Trust Bernard on this and glad for his perspective. 

Bernard

It also inspired one of the board’s best handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, Bevo said:

Octavian, don't let him fool you. Awhile back ctj made a post praising Ian Boyd's description of the intricacies of Greg Davis' offense when he was OC at Texas, and I kind of joked about it. He went on to attack me and I made him feel really bad to where Sydney had to console him. Supposedly, to make him feel better Sydney purposely lost to him in golf. Anyway, my point is to not give up. He says it doesn't hurt "sometimes", but deep down inside he cries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1