2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Idk what to tell you if you think A&M isn't a good team. I almost said a floor of 10-2 but I could see a team like Ole Miss catching fire and making Jimbo compete in a track meet along with LSU eking one out at home. The Henson hire and their recruiting wins along the DL are really going to pay off for them.

My comment was that going 9-3 against that schedule would not be evidence of a good team. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Their OL and QB will get eaten alive even with their dog shit schedule. Their defense may be the saving grace. 

No they won’t. Their schedule’s a joke, and Henson’s a good OL coach. 

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

All A&M really needs from King is to match Mond's level from last year. Jimbo's schemes in the run game plus the Spiller/Achane duo are hell for teams lacking physicality/talent in their defensive fronts. Wydermyer is a great safety blanket that shouldn't be overlooked as well.

King as a first year starter won’t be matching the level of play of a 4 year starter who just got drafted in the third round. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I won't say they deserve it, but their '18 and '19 schedules meant they were due for forgiving ones afterward. '22 might be tougher if Diaz can actually turn Miami into something good (which I kind of doubt but Garcia will be a good QB). Auburn seems to be floundering, and I don't trust Harsin to match Malzahn's level (which isn't even high). Leach is going to let Mississippi St's d line tank imo so I think Jimbo beats them every year. I guess if LSU rebounds and avoids any tangible scandal or hires Napier then they have a shot of being formidable again. I actually think Pittman will elevate Arkansas further but Briles needs to find a better QB than their current awful duo for them to ever threaten A&M. I like some of what Kiffin is doing but I still don't trust him to build a program, and their receiver recruiting has been quietly underwhelming recently. 

Jimbo has carte blanche and their boosters have deep pockets to hire the right guys (Malchow from UGA and the recent analyst from UGA were telling). I don't think they'll ever beat Alabama or really even come close unless Jimbo fires Dameyune Craig and hires a competent replacement though.

• Hook 'Em 1

It definitely puts the writing on the wall if he's leapfrogged by Card. 
Thats a big if. Think a lot of people are underestimating Casey, and slightly overestimating Card. Of course I think Card will be the near future, just not sure he's the clear cut starter this year...at least not to begin the season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My comment was that going 9-3 against that schedule would not be evidence of a good team. 

No they won’t. Their schedule’s a joke, and Henson’s a good OL coach. 

King as a first year starter won’t be matching the level of play of a 4 year starter who just got drafted in the third round. 

That's fair, but I think Mond was drafted two rounds too early because the NFL blows Jimbo even though every QB he's produced has underwhelmed in the NFL. 

To get back on the thread topic, there isn't much definite talent among the upperclassmen. Idk how many players get drafted in '22, but you can probably only pencil in Overshown and Jamison rn, but (believe it or not) scouts currently think Cade Brewer is a late round talent. Coburn will be drafted if he keeps improving. 

15 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I won't say they deserve it, but their '18 and '19 schedules meant they were due for forgiving ones afterward. '22 might be tougher if Diaz can actually turn Miami into something good (which I kind of doubt but Garcia will be a good QB). Auburn seems to be floundering, and I don't trust Harsin to match Malzahn's level (which isn't even high). Leach is going to let Mississippi St's d line tank imo so I think Jimbo beats them every year. I guess if LSU rebounds and avoids any tangible scandal or hires Napier then they have a shot of being formidable again. I actually think Pittman will elevate Arkansas further but Briles needs to find a better QB than their current awful duo for them to ever threaten A&M. I like some of what Kiffin is doing but I still don't trust him to build a program, and their receiver recruiting has been quietly underwhelming recently. 

Jimbo has carte blanche and their boosters have deep pockets to hire the right guys (Malchow from UGA and the recent analyst from UGA were telling). I don't think they'll ever beat Alabama or really even come close unless Jimbo fires Dameyune Craig and hires a competent replacement though.

bored-gif.gif

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

They can move it out of the Cotton Bowl when they pry the Fletcher's out of my cold, dead fingers.

Clearly, Tyler, has never been to the game in Dallas and is bitter about it. Nothing beats the game and atmosphere of the Cotton Bowl at the State Fair. I hope it never changes.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, George Clooney said:

All A&M really needs from King is to match Mond's level from last year. Jimbo's schemes in the run game plus the Spiller/Achane duo are hell for teams lacking physicality/talent in their defensive fronts. Wydermyer is a great safety blanket that shouldn't be overlooked as well.

...all they need is for a guy who has never taken a snap that matters to play at the same level as a 4 year starter

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

...all they need is for a guy who has never taken a snap that matters to play at the same level as a 4 year starter

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

this.  King's best year in HS was his junior year due to better teammates.  When they were gone the next year, King wasn't so hot.  Lots of schools that needed a QB seemed lukewarm on him.  think that will be a significant drop off from Mond.  I'm also a little more  sanguine on the SEC West, but acknowledge that they are not great outside of Bammer.

33 minutes ago, cochamps said:

this.  King's best year in HS was his junior year due to better teammates.  When they were gone the next year, King wasn't so hot.  Lots of schools that needed a QB seemed lukewarm on him.  think that will be a significant drop off from Mond.  I'm also a little more  sanguine on the SEC West, but acknowledge that they are not great outside of Bammer.

King was their point guard. That’s it. If that’s all Jimbo needs from him, he’ll excel. 

Jimbo’s offense is “the safety valve offense,” IMO. Open TE or open RB is what he’s looking for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

King was their point guard. That’s it. If that’s all Jimbo needs from him, he’ll excel. 

Jimbo’s offense is “the safety valve offense,” IMO. Open TE or open RB is what he’s looking for. 

Yup. hit them underneath with the short pass and iso runs til they have to creep up then try a Med/deep shot if things look right pre snap. 

Jimbo would be able to print money if it were 1996

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yup. hit them underneath with the short pass and iso runs til they have to creep up then try a Med/deep shot if things look right pre snap. 

Jimbo would be able to print money if it were 1996

Really, I know there are a lot of reads to it, but it’s a caveman offense. 

18 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Really, I know there are a lot of reads to it, but it’s a caveman offense. 

True, but defenses aren't geared for it anymore and don't practice against it until that one opponent comes along. Same thing with the old Nebraska and Georgia Tech option which would be tough to stop with 1 week to prepare.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Zeus said:

Masters of science in marketing interesting

Normally means a completion with Thesis vs a standard MBA...

Regardless, great degree from one of the best business schools in the nation. Curious what his area is in marketing 

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

RIcky Williams

HARD MODE: CURRENT ROSTER ONLY

D'Shawn Jamison

He even wants us all to drink ourselves to death.

shark.0.png

Quentin Jammer for me because of childhood

Current roster, Roschon because of how hard and no fucks given he runs. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

RIcky Williams

HARD MODE: CURRENT ROSTER ONLY

D'Shawn Jamison

He even wants us all to drink ourselves to death.

shark.0.png

Vince Young. Saw both Rose Bowls in person.

Honorable Mentions:

Colt McCoy

Aaron Ross

Jordan Shipley

Current Roster: 

Bijan Robinson

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Earl Campbell and it’s not even close. 

Too bad Earl had to play with unlimited substitution rules. He'da been platooning, he'da made errbody fuhgeddabout Tommy Nobis on the D side and been the same Earl on O. He actually was the best on both sides in HS, just didn't get much (any?) linebacking under his belt as a 'Horn.

Given when I was an undergrad, if you backed me into a corner and required a truthful answer, the roughest, toughest, all-round best football player in those years was Nobis. All-time ever watched play? Yeah,  that would be Earl. 

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

you’re a fucking idiot if you think that’s a gimme win. 

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Earl Campbell and it’s not even close. 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Too bad Earl had to play with unlimited substitution rules. He'da been platooning, he'da made errbody fuhgeddabout Tommy Nobis on the D side and been the same Earl on O. He actually was the best on both sides in HS, just didn't get much (any?) linebacking under his belt as a 'Horn.

Given when I was an undergrad, if you backed me into a corner and required a truthful answer, the roughest, toughest, all-round best football player in those years was Nobis. All-time ever watched play? Yeah,  that would be Earl. 

For the record I love stories like this. I'm the only Longhorn in my family (fan or otherwise) and getting to hear stories like this are awesome. Of course, it's before my time so I wouldn't feel right in choosing them. But most definitely, I'd agree they were/are some bad mofos.

Hopefully y'all got some youngins you can pass these stories on to 🤘

Edited by BigHorn'13
  • Hook 'Em 1

Better be ready early in conference play-- @tcu/ou/okie lite tough stretch

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2021

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/4
vsULUL
TBD    
Sat, 9/11
@ARKARK
6:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 9/18
vsRICERICE
TBD    
Sat, 9/25
vsTTUTTU
TBD    
Sat, 10/2
@TCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 10/9
vsOUOU *
TBD    
Sat, 10/16
vsOKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 10/30
@BAYBAY
TBD    
Sat, 11/6
@ISUISU
TBD    
Sat, 11/13
vsKUKU
TBD    
Sat, 11/20
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 11/27
vsKSUKSU
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

SIAP...  @satyanash will love this optimism 😋

Sark won’t get a honeymoon at Texas

By Zach Barnett -   May 20, 2021

I don’t want to sound too hyperbolic and unfair considering the guy hasn’t coached a game yet, so let’s try this on for size and see how it fits: Steve Sarkisian is already on the hot seat at Texas.

Okay, okay, that’s too strong. Way too strong. Let’s dial it back a bit with this: To get Texas to the places he was hired to take the program, Sarkisian will have to do so against one of the nation’s most consistently difficult schedules. The treadmill slopes straight upward from the beginning and never really lets up.

The challenge begins in Week 1.

Difficult as it may be to accept at face value, Louisiana represents the most difficult debut game for a new Longhorn head coach since David McWilliams opened with No. 5 Auburn in 1987. (The Horns lost that one 31-3 and finished 7-5.) Billy Napier’s Ragin’ Cajuns finished 2020 at 10-1 and a program-record AP No. 15 ranking, and they’re ranked No. 16 in Mark Schlabach’s preseason Top 25. (Texas is No. 22, behind not only ULL but Sun Belt bunk mate Coastal Carolina.) The Cajuns rank No. 1 in FBS in returning production, brining back 93 percent of an offense that scored 33.6 points a game and 98 percent of a defense that rated 13th nationally in yards per play last fall.

The following week, Texas visits what is probably the most difficult road environment a Longhorn team can face: at Arkansas. Sam Pittman’s team did go just 3-7 in his all-SEC debut season, but that won’t matter on the evening of Sept. 11. It’ll be just Texas’s second trip to Fayetteville since 1989. In the only visit since then, in 2004, a Texas team that would go on to win the Rose Bowl needed a late touchdown to eek out a 22-20 win over an Arkansas team that finished 5-6. Considering the circumstances — the lingering new-car-smell of the Pittman era, that the stands should be full after the hell of last year — we’re talking about the most raucous atmosphere inside DWR Razorback Stadium since… LSU in 2010? Tennessee in 2006? Heck, maybe since that 2004 Texas game.

Moving on, Texas returns to Austin for home games with Rice and Texas Tech (if both aren’t wins, we’re having a different conversation) before a pre-Red River visit to TCU. Gary Patterson is 7-2 against Texas since joining the Big 12, winner of three straight in Fort Worth. TCU returns 87 percent of its offensive production (13th), including quarterback Max Duggan, and running back Zach Evans and wide receiver Quinton Johnston are among the most talented players at their position in the conference, if not the nation.

After that, the Longhorns jet across I-30 to face Oklahoma in Dallas. OU’s strengths and UT’s relative struggles need no explaining here. The Sooners have won three in a row; and five of six; and nine of 12; and 15 of 22. They’re currently jostling with Alabama for preseason No. 1 honors, depending on which outlet you read.

With a home date opposite Oklahoma State following Red River, anything from 7-0 to 2-5 is on the table heading into the off week.

Texas will then visit Baylor before a trip to Iowa State — No. 6 in Schlabach’s rankings and No. 4 in Connelly’s returning production ratings. It’s safe to say this will be the best Iowa State team ever, a statement you can make of what you will. The Cyclones bring back 94 percent of an offense (fifth in the nation) that threw for 312 yards on 8.7 an attempt in their 23-20 win in Austin last November, the nail in the coffin of the Herman era.

From there, Texas closes with Kansas, West Virginia and Kansas State. The KU game may be a gimme, but a 3-0 sweep isn’t. During this ongoing 11-year stretch through Death Valley, Texas has won three straight Big 12 games six times. Win enough games and Texas’s reward will be a berth in the Big 12 Championship, which likely means a rematch with preseason No. 1 Oklahoma or No. 6 Iowa State.

For all the reasons stated above, no one actively expects Texas to reach, much less win, the Big 12 title this year. It’s Year 1, after all, and the team has holes to fill at a number of key spots, most notably quarterback.

But Sark must win the Big 12 and reach the Playoff at some point, otherwise he wouldn’t be in burnt orange in the first place.

So how about in 2022 or ’23? Texas plays a home-and-home with Alabama in those years (in Austin in ’22, in Tuscaloosa in ’23), and we all know how Nick Saban treats his former assistants. He’s 23-0 with an average margin of 26 points. The backbone of those Crimson Tide teams will be the 2021 recruiting class, an all-time record-breaking haul that includes the No. 1 quarterback, No. 1 running back, No. 1 receiver, No. 1 offensive tackle, No. 1 center and No. 1 linebacker in the state of Texas. Included in that group are the Brockermeyer twins — tackle Tommy, in the running for the No. 1 overall player in the ’21 class, and center James — whose father and grandfather are former Horns, whose parents met at Texas, and whose older brother Luke is currently vying for snaps as a Texas linebacker. Saban and Sarkisian are currently locking horns over a number of players in the 2022 class, most notably Houston corner Denver Harris and Frisco receiver Evan Stewart.

Truth be told, any player anywhere is fair game for Saban, he’s just happened to take a particular interest in Lone Star prospects due to all the reasons Sarkisian was hired to fix.

Texas plays Michigan in 2024, and then Ohio State cycles on the schedule in 2025-26. It’s possible the Buckeyes are quarterbacked by Quinn Ewers in that ’25 game, a Southlake, Texas, product who’s listed as the No. 1 overall prospect in the class of 2022 — a player so highly regarded that his de-commitment from Texas and subsequent flip to Ohio State signaled the unofficial end of the Tom Herman regime.

We’re a long, long way from the end of the 2021 season, much less the beginning of the 2025 campaign, but the point is this: Texas will likely have to go 2-1 against Oklahoma and Alabama/Ohio State to reach the College Football Playoff (as it’s presently constituted) and undefeated against everyone else. It’s a high bar to clear.

The Buckeyes have joined Alabama in pillaging Texas’s top talent over the previous decade and into the current one. JT Barrett, JK Dobbins, Jeff Okudah, Baron Browning are all former Texans, as are current Buckeye wideouts Garrett Wilson and Jaxon Smith-Njigba, with Ewers and another 5-star receiver in Austin’s Caleb Burton slated to join them next year.

Texas isn’t going to beat OU, Alabama and Ohio State on the field until it does so in the living room, and it’s going to be really hard to beat the nation’s elite in the living room if they’re consistently losing on the field. Such is life in college football’s dog-eat-dog ecosystem, where Texas has been the eaten for a decade and counting now.

If Texas is not among the nation’s absolute elite almost immediately, we’ll all be in for another round of “Will Texas ever be back?” and “Is Sark the guy?” stories in 2022, ’23 and beyond. Playing Alabama and Ohio State is a double-edged sword. Either Sark plunges the blade directly into the crimson and scarlet giants, or they dive it through his own burnt orange chainmail.

It would be a false assumption to say Texas is running out of patience. It’s already out. Charlie Strong’s 3-year tenure was the shortest of any head Horn since the Great Depression. Tom Herman’s 4-year run was simultaneously A) the program’s high point since Colt McCoy hit the Rose Bowl grass in January of 2010 and B) not up to the school’s standards. Three AP Top 25 finishes in four years — including 2020 — were not enough to buy him a fifth season.

Sarkisian didn’t create any problems, but it’s now his job to fix them.  For his part, Sarkisian recognizes this. “I think there’s championship talent on this team. Clearly, there’s work to be done or a change wouldn’t be made,” he said at his Jan. 2 introductory press conference. “Now it’s it’s my responsibility to make the perception become a reality that Texas is a perennial powerhouse, that we are always in the discussion year in and year out for the College Football Playoff and a Big 12 championship.”

“I firmly believe it’s not going to take us as long as maybe some of the outsiders think,” he said in a call with boosters, via Inside Texas. “I think we’ve got a good, young roster to work with. I think we’re going to recruit really well. At the end of the day, we’ve got to find a way to win those close games in the end, which clearly has snake bitten this program here a little bit the last couple of years.”

The challenge begins in the very first game and never really lets up from there. All gas, no brakes, indeed.

The author of this article reminds me of Mack Brown. 
"Scared to death"
ULL: Oh no, not the mighty Rajin' Cajuns! I can see how this can be classified as a trap game, but if the whole planet has been talking them up because of their returning production and they're on everyone's radar, is it really a trap game?
Arkansas: Holy shit, Arkansas like to play Texas tough? Who would've known?!
TCU: This will actually be a tough game, since we're their super bowl and all. Let's see how a competent DC can stuff their offense and what kind of chess match Sark will engage in against Fatterson's defense. Keep in mind even the Mensa fuckfest was one KI fumble away from winning last year.
OU: Yeah they're built to win this year. We can all temper those expectations.
OSU: We have them at home and Gundy is still Gundy.
ISU: Best ISU team evarrrr! We may as well forfeit! Yes, this will be the second toughest game of the year. It will be interesting to see how well Campbell handles the pressure of frequently playing as a favorite. Looking forward to this game.
WVU: Lost a ton to the transfer portal. They will be overwhelmed.
KSU: Deuce is good. Our defense will be good, too. We have them at home.

Zach Barnett sounds like a bitch. 
Good points here, mirrors my thoughts almost exactly...especially the part about seeing if ISU can hold up when they arent the perrenial underdog team anymore. Any of the teams on our schedule can beat us if theyre having a good day and we're having a bad one, but I think this team is equally capable of running the regular season table if we string together good day after good day and catch some breaks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Better be ready early in conference play-- @tcu/ou/okie lite tough stretch

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2021

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/4
vsULUL
TBD    
Sat, 9/11
@ARKARK
6:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 9/18
vsRICERICE
TBD    
Sat, 9/25
vsTTUTTU
TBD    
Sat, 10/2
@TCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 10/9
vsOUOU *
TBD    
Sat, 10/16
vsOKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 10/30
@BAYBAY
TBD    
Sat, 11/6
@ISUISU
TBD    
Sat, 11/13
vsKUKU
TBD    
Sat, 11/20
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 11/27
vsKSUKSU
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

SIAP...  @satyanash will love this optimism 😋

Sark won’t get a honeymoon at Texas

By Zach Barnett -   May 20, 2021

Oklahoma State is going to be dog shit. so will TCU. 

• Hook 'Em 1