2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s been 5 months and they still haven’t found the right house?

It’s a sellers market dude.  He’s waiting for the next downturn.  Chess.  But good luck with any downturn in the Austin real estate market.  

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, stork642 said:

It’s a sellers market dude.  He’s waiting for the next downturn.  Chess.  But good luck with any downturn in the Austin real estate market.  

not to mention the lumbar shortage.. then sheetrock shortage .. and now the sod shortage smh...

6 hours ago, stork642 said:

No way UT doesn’t win 9 games.  How do I bet this?

No way? Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways we don't win 9 games this year. Most ways (most logical scenarios). While I'm not a fan of the Sark hire, a sub-9 win season this year is not an indictment of him. New QB, o-line issues, lots of D issues.....just about any coach would have a tough time winning 9 games with this bunch, considering our schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

No way? Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways we don't win 9 games this year. Most ways (most logical scenarios). While I'm not a fan of the Sark hire, a sub-9 win season this year is not an indictment of him. New QB, o-line issues, lots of D issues.....just about any coach would have a tough time winning 9 games with this bunch, considering our schedule. 

2AFD2B0B-2962-4751-B4A9-09150EC311E4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

High School No GIF

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Memebase - bikini - Page 6 - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes -  Cheezburger

38 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Our schedule is not that hard for a P5 school. If our injury luck isn't horrific, a competent coach should get 9 wins out of this squad.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I am eagerly awaiting the looks they come up with...  

I would laugh my ass off if we end up seeing some diamond with Rojo, Bijan, and Whittington ... and then pass out of it...

4th and 2 on the 6 yard line

Line up those three guys in the backfield

Designed roll out left and deepish fade to the ghost of Collin Johnson

(Eric Nahlin) Sark Bytes: Fifth Edition

Spoiler

Everybody’s favorite undefeated head coach spoke at the Houston Touchdown Club luncheon on Wednesday. As he received a standing ovation upon introduction I thought, “wait until that first loss, Coach.”

Sarkisian has earned the level of excitement the room showed. His offense is on the cutting edge, he hired a very strong staff, especially at the two most important positions (“I think it’s the best staff in the nation”), and he’s recruiting as well as can be expected given Covid factors. He’s definitely done well in the Portal.

He also continues to say the right things and to the right people.

He opened by giving thanks to the lettermen in the room and explaining it was them who got him interested in Texas football when he’d turn on ABC years and years ago.

That segued to him recounting how he told his parents he was taking the Texas job “before they found out on social media” and how he and his dad talked about them watching Texas on TV decades ago. He again thanked the letterman he watched.

It’s easy to see how he’s found buy-in from the T-ringers.

He mentioned how five months has gone by fast, though there have already been plenty of obstacles. Just as he was settling into his office, Covid closed down football operations for a week. Then during offseason workouts, we had the Great Freeze of 2021. Finally spring ball arrived only to be suspended due to Covid after one practice.

This, he said, offered the team the chance to experience adversity. Sarkisian says the team has responded well each time and is proving to be a resilient bunch. Along these lines, he confirmed something we’ve suspected; he’s not taking over the typical program that just had its head coach terminated. You can tell he likes the mindset, work ethic, and order of the team. He mentioned they still need to install schemes and fundamentals, but this is a team that was very close to being good.

When it comes to leadership he mentioned the names you’d expect to hear. On offense: Derek Kerstetter, Roschon Johnson, Bijan Robinson (“quiet but leads by example”), and Cade Brewer. On defense: “Snacks” Coburn, Josh Thompson, Ray Thornton (he intimated how impressed he was with the way Thornton arrived ready to lead), and Jerrin Thompson.

He sort of threw in the quarterbacks late and said they’re both on the leadership council. He said they’re both great leaders, working hard, etc.

There were three humorous moments:

- He mentioned they have a difficult schedule. They open with the University of Louisiana then head to Arkansas for a big game, “especially for them.”

- One gentleman, who clearly knew the answer, asked Sark about his statistically most impressive game as a college player. Of course this was when he wrecked the Wrecking Crew by throwing for 536 yards in the Pigskin Classic.

- Sarkisian mentioned they just recently found a house and moved out of the AT&T conference center. He said there wasn’t much to do in the hotel room, the room kept getting smaller and smaller, and his wife kept receiving more and more s***. Thanks, Amazon! We’ve all been there.

He said the time spent in that room with a terrible TV allowed him to watch and follow Texas spring sports closely. The University had a great spring as he named sport after sport and said winning championships is the standard of excellence at Texas.

Like Chris Beard, he made it clear he’s not shying away from that standard, “that’s why I’m here.”

“I love to recruit. Recruiting is the lifeline.” - Nick Saban” - Pete Carroll”” - Steve Sarkisian”””

Recruiting is about to return to normal. You could tell he was excited for it.

As far as Sarkisian is concerned, there are three all-time greats coaching right now, and he’s worked for two of them — Nick Saban and Pete Carroll (Bill Belichick was named first). Saban and Carroll put a huge emphasis on recruiting and he does the same.

When the head man loves to recruit, it puts a positive downward pressure on the bottom line of landing guys they can win championships with. This keeps coaches engaged with the elites, even if they’re long-shots.

You can rest assured the staff will continue to try and lure the biggest fish, even if they have a fleeting chance to land them. If you can at least get them to campus, you have a chance to wrestle them in.

New QB, o-line issues, lots of D issues.....just about any coach would have a tough time winning 9 games with this bunch, considering our schedule. 

This always gets me about college fans. Ever buddy loses dudes. Every year dudes step up that did little the year before. Yeah ISU has ever buddy back. They beat us by a half yard. We have no idea about their depth. Ours is as good as it’s been in over decade. As to QB, we have a 4th year dude (or maybe 3rd but still) who has football in his blood and a dude that comes from a school that produce D1 QBs. That’s a solid depth chart when transferring that position.

We lose Ossai. OU loses Perkins. We lose Cosmi. OU loses Humphrey. Actually we had to replace Cosmi already. We lose Sam but we have a full season projection of Bijan. We’ll be better at Oline, RB, WR, TE on offense. On defense we’ll probably be better with the exception of Ossai. There’s considerable experience on that defense. Collins should start coming on.

System conversions could hurt us but we did it last year with no spring and Zoom calls.

9 wins minimum.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This always gets me about college fans. Ever buddy loses dudes. Every year dudes step up that did little the year before. Yeah ISU has ever buddy back. They beat us by a half yard. We have no idea about their depth. Ours is as good as it’s been in over decade. As to QB, we have a 4th year dude (or maybe 3rd but still) who has football in his blood and a dude that comes from a school that produce D1 QBs. That’s a solid depth chart when transferring that position.

We lose Ossai. OU loses Perkins. We lose Cosmi. OU loses Humphrey. Actually we had to replace Cosmi already. We lose Sam but we have a full season projection of Bijan. We’ll be better at Oline, RB, WR, TE on offense. On defense we’ll probably be better with the exception of Ossai. There’s considerable experience on that defense. Collins should start coming on.

System conversions could hurt us but we did it last year with no spring and Zoom calls.

9 wins minimum.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

They beat us by a half yard.

After Texas controlled the game for 55 minutes and Coach Turtle turtled.

ISU is good. They deserve respect and I’m sure they will be in the mix for the CCG down the stretch. But the trip to Ames is not some guaranteed L.

The only game where you have to concede a loss is likely is OU. They’re loaded this year, though of course, anything can happen in that game.

The rest of the schedule includes some good teams but nothing this Texas roster shouldn’t be able to navigate without three additional losses if coached well and not completely snake bit with regard to injury.

Also Arkansas is ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

ISU is good. They deserve respect and I’m sure they will be in the mix for the CCG down the stretch. But the trip to Ames is not some guaranteed L.

The only game where you have to concede a loss is likely is OU. They’re loaded this year, though of course, anything can happen in that game.

The rest of the schedule includes some good teams but nothing this Texas roster shouldn’t be able to navigate without three additional losses if coached well and not completely snake bit with regard to injury.

Also Arkansas is ass.

Oh and ya go beat blowU in Dallas and in this piece of shit conference you have to replay them in jerrywhirld

ever buddy loves watching us play blowU over and over I guess

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Also Arkansas is ass.

Quit being a pussy. We're going to skullfuck those dirt burglars. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

... you have to concede a loss is likely is OU.

Go fuck yourself.

Better, pm Fisterman. Lessons, with practice sessions... all for free.

Don't forget to add to your mantrasack: "Scares ya ta death!" Make sure to keep repeating it at least twelve times daily, at least 16 years should do.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

As to QB, we have a 4th year dude (or maybe 3rd but still) who has football in his blood

I owe you, and everyone else here, an apology. I did not realize our QB had football in his blood. 

How do I buy tickets for the national championship game? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

What would your expectation of Herman have been for this upcoming year if he was retained?

My expectation was nothing short of 10 wins and CCG appearance. No excuses. That was assuming the same NFL draft departures.

We didn't lose any our core to the transfer portal. Very little attrition. My expectation hasn't really changed with the new coach. Roster has 9+ wins in it. 

9 wins minimum.

This team’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Anapolis. They speak a dozen languages and know every form tackle. They’ll blend in, disappear and you'll never see them again. With any luck they’ve got the championship already.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

This team’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Anapolis. They speak a dozen languages and know every form tackle. They’ll blend in, disappear and you'll never see them again. With any luck they’ve got the championship already.

Does anybody here speak English, or maybe Ancient Greek?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Maybe I'm the minority here but I'm thinking fuck it why can't we win the conference this year? We've recruited better than nearly everyone in the conference for the past three years and we finally have some big swinging dicks as coaches so what's the issue? Will it be easy? Nah. Will there be ugly wins? Absolutely. Will I give a shit if we win by 1 point or three scores while I'm slamming Patron and stuffing my face with smoked meats? Absofuckinglutely not.

I will say, I'd almost prefer to take the loss in the Cotton Bowl and then come back and curb stomp those Norman fucks in the CCG.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quit being a pussy. We're going to skullfuck those dirt burglars. 

Go fuck yourself.
Better, pm Fisterman. Lessons, with practice sessions... all for free.
Don't forget to add to your mantrasack: "Scares ya ta death!" Make sure to keep repeating it at least twelve times daily, at least 16 years should do.

lol yes y’all are so tough and your attitudes absolutely make a tangible impact on the team’s performance. One day I hope to be like you
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Also Arkansas is ass.

They likely aren't ass. Probably the equivalent of a middle of the road Big XII team. 

"Arkansas went 3-7 last year" is a common comment used to disregard them, but the SEC gave them Georgia and Florida cross division, so they had Bama, Georgia, and Florida, probably the best three teams in the conference

Against the rest of the schedule, which was A&M, Auburn, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Missouri, they went 3-4, including losses by 2, 2, 3, and 11 points (on the road at A&M), which tells me they were about an average SEC team

It'll be interesting to see if they got better or worse at QB; they probably need pretty good QB play to beat us

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

They likely aren't ass. Probably the equivalent of a middle of the road Big XII team. 

"Arkansas went 3-7 last year" is a common comment used to disregard them, but the SEC gave them Georgia and Florida cross division, so they had Bama, Georgia, and Florida, probably the best three teams in the conference

Against the rest of the schedule, which was A&M, Auburn, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Missouri, they went 3-4, including losses by 2, 2, 3, and 11 points (on the road at A&M), which tells me they were about an average SEC team

It'll be interesting to see if they got better or worse at QB; they probably need pretty good QB play to beat us

They were ass. The SEC was complete ass. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol yes y’all are so tough and your attitudes absolutely make a tangible impact on the team’s performance. One day I hope to be like you

Got zip to do with "tough". The point is defeatism, as evidenced in your previous points. I thought my sarchasm alert was on, and not a peep or a spark. Just thinking about a broken meter is enough to gitcha scared to death, ain't it?

Good luck with your hopes, though.

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's reasonable to project them to get better this year, but they would have been a lower tier Big XII team just like they were lower tier SEC. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2020

72nd overall in S&P+, would be good for 9th in the Big XII, only better than Tech and Kansas.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Like 1

Lol at this site. Admitting OU is loaded is verboten but let’s pretend Arkansas is a quality opponent. Okay.

Middle of the road Big 12 team is not that good. Last year that’s TCU or West Virginia at the 5-6 spot. We literally just fired a coach because he made a habit of inexplicably finding innovative ways to lose to teams of that caliber.

The average/median SEC team is ass. The conference is as top loaded as anywhere. Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, and LSU were all hot garbage last year.

Arkansas sucks and does not have the bodies in the trenches to hang with Texas, particularly their OL vs Texas’s DL. If Texas loses that game, just get ready to fire Sark after 2023-24.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

It's reasonable to project them to get better this year, but they would have been a lower tier Big XII team just like they were lower tier SEC. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2020

72nd overall in S&P+, would be good for 9th in the Big XII, only better than Tech and Baylor.

And Kansas

So, middle of the road Big XII

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Lol at this site. Admitting OU is loaded is verboten but let’s pretend Arkansas is a quality opponent. Okay.

Middle of the road Big 12 team is not that good. Last year that’s TCU or West Virginia at the 5-6 spot. We literally just fired a coach because he made a habit of inexplicably finding innovative ways to lose to teams of that caliber.

The average/median SEC team is ass. The conference is as top loaded as anywhere. Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, and LSU were all hot garbage last year.

Arkansas sucks and does not have the bodies in the trenches to hang with Texas, particularly their OL vs Texas’s DL. If Texas loses that game, just get ready to fire Sark after 2023-24.

I think there's a difference between middle of the road Big XII/SEC and "ass", but that's just me

I'm not sure how Texas losing to middle of the road college football teams last year and over the past decade really helps whatever point you're trying to make

I think Texas wins that game and Louisiana, but a loss in either game isn't out of the question

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

And Kansas

So, middle of the road Big XII

Yep, noticed that mistake and edited. 

If you are 9th out of 11 it puts you at around the bottom 20% percentile or so (not a math major). Just how wide is your middle of the road?

Edited by UncleSonny

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Yep, noticed that mistake and edited. 

If you are 9th out of 11 puts you in around the bottom 20% percentile or so (not a math major). Just how wide is your middle of the road?

Wouldn't that be 8th out of 11? 

I think there's OU, ISU, and Texas at the top, Kansas, Baylor, and Tech at the bottom, and then a bunch of teams in the middle that might collectively win a couple of games against the top three; the middle games are individually likely wins for Texas, but are potential losses if the team doesn't show up

I don't think they'll be as bad as you'd typically expect a team coming off of a 3-6 season, and belong in the middle group vs the very bottom

Also, I don't think the 2020 models (SP+, FEI, FPI, etc) are as useful as past years for obvious reasons 

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think you're lumping a lot of very diverse intelligences into one blob with that statement.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Wouldn't that be 8th out of 11? 

I think there's OU, ISU, and Texas at the top, Kansas, Baylor, and Tech at the bottom, and then a bunch of teams in the middle that might collectively win a couple of games against the top three; the middle games are individually likely wins for Texas, but are potential losses if the team doesn't show up

I don't think they'll be as bad as you'd typically expect a team coming off of a 3-6 season, and belong in the middle group vs the very bottom

Also, I don't think the 2020 models (SP+, FEI, FPI, etc) are as useful as past years for obvious reasons 

I confused you in my original post by fucking up and saying Arkansas would only be higher than Tech and Baylor. They would only be higher than Tech and Kansas, Baylor scored better last year in the S&P+. So 9/11.

I agree the 2020 models will be flawed but it's fine to get a general idea of the relative strength of teams. Arkansas was a below average team last year no matter how you look at them unless that "SEC" patch just scares you to death. 

The Arkansas game will be interesting because it’s more volatile than just another Big 12 game against a comparable team like KSU. We’re definitely the better team and should expect to win, but they do return like 18 starters and added some quality transfers going into year two of a new regime. On the other hand, they lost some of their best players, including their QB. Franks isn’t all that good, but I’m not sure they have any QB better to replace him.  I tend to think they’ll be somewhat improved over their team last year, but we’ll still be significantly better than them.

It’s going to be an away game in front of a huge, angry crowd of toothless cousins who think anyone who makes as much money as greenspoint is a one percenter. Arkansas will think it’s a rivalry game but Texas not so much. 
Finally, I don’t think PK has ever defended the Briles system, which is known to give certain DCs fits. All that makes the game more of a question mark than just the teams’ overall talent level.

Having said that, we’re the better team and I’ll be cursing Sark’s name if we lose to those hogfuckers.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I confused you in my original post by fucking up and saying Arkansas would only be higher than Tech and Baylor. They would only be higher than Tech and Kansas, Baylor scored better last year in the S&P+. So 9/11.

I agree the 2020 models will be flawed but it's fine to get a general idea of the relative strength of teams. Arkansas was a below average team last year no matter how you look at them unless that "SEC" patch just scares you to death. 

Well, like I said, they were 3-4 against teams not named Bama, Georgia, and Florida, and barely lost three of those four games. I think that they're not a garbage team, and have two really good coordinators who'd fit in against the other cutting edge Big XII coordinators 

I'm not scared of this game or anything, but I don't think they're terrible 

The way I look at the Arkansas game is, if you have it circled as a possible loss, I think the only way you got there is because you think Sark wasn't a good hire. And that is a perfectly defensible position (even though not one I agree with).

Trying to temper expectations by playing up how perfectly average they are, our learning curve in picking new schemes, breaking in a new qb, or whatever else are just excuses. An Arkansas loss would be a major red flag for Sark's future success here and any justifications made after the fact would just feel like Maryland (2x) all over again.

• Hook 'Em 4

Any time I have a new QB and an unsettled OL, I'm concerned. Those are two things that basically define a football team. As they go, so goes your chances of winning. Bad OL play is just impossible to scheme around. Great OL play makes every other player better.

I believe Herman told Hand, "Here's what we're running. Teach your boys to block it.". I believe Sark asks Flood, "What do your boys do well? I'll build my offense on that.".

Further, I believe that the Texas roster is better than was shown last season. I believe player skills were misapplied and used incorrectly in haphazard combinations. Having a competent OL and Bijan Robinson on the field makes a defense scheme to stop him first. I'm not predicting unstoppable, Bama style play, but with that threat, an OC who wants to pressure a defense can link plays together that does just that. This can be a formidable offense.

First, though, the OL has to be beaten on by an angry defense. I've looked too foolish predicting success by previously well heeled OL coaches.

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

Well, like I said, they were 3-4 against teams not named Bama, Georgia, and Florida, and barely lost three of those four games. 

Which were the good SEC teams? Florida lost to aggy. They sucked.

Bama was THE lone good SEC team. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I have some disappointing news to tell you about the Big XII teams we lost to

Yeah, these lame ass arguments based on one game are the kind my Auburn dad would make. Maybe it's the data scientist in me, but football, and college football specifically, has a high noise to signal ratio.