2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

5 minutes ago, troph said:

You’re just mad you ran off Kelvin.  

LOL - I was as happy when Kelvin ran off to IN as you all were when Shaka left for Marquette.  He was an annoying MF who had a shitty brand of hoops.  We have been to final fours before and after his ass.  Fuck Kelvin Sampson.  Give me Moser 10 times out of 10.  

You probably were making a joke - but still too soon, fuck that MF.  

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

The Office No GIF

Texas hasn't had a coach of his caliber and circumstance in my life time - great, young up and comer who took the program all the way.  Yes Gus, Yes Augie, but by the time I was around Gus was a legend and Augie came in as a legend.  Nothing in football, not even close.  I guess maybe Mack but jesus Scott Drew is no Mack Brown, Drew maximizes his talent.  Penders? no.  Barnes? no. Shaka. l-fucking-o-l.  I just can't hate the guy. He's great.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

And there it is, One Firing Moment

usa_today_15768122.0.jpg

I'll always miss the year he drew the "+" sign on the back of his hand to remind him to stay positive(and on the back so that the TV would catch it and talk about it).  holy shit what a fraud.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'll always miss the year he drew the "+" sign on the back of his hand to remind him to stay positive(and on the back so that the TV would catch it and talk about it).  holy shit what a fraud.

I write shit on my wrist sometimes when I play a tennis match but one I suck and two I write it on the inside so only I see it. What a dummy.

• Haha 1

Sometimes, teams surprise and punch above and the other implodes.  This was not that time.  The better team won, dominated both halves, from the beginning tip.  Whatever happens in Waco, stays in Waco this week.  Joanna will probably pop out another of Chips babies sometime late December, early January to mark the occasion and some poor female students will get unsuspectingly rag dolled by a team to mark separate occasions.  Whatever, recruiting just got more difficult.  

This was probably Few's best chance to win.  He's at a split in the road--gamble like Roy Williams to win it all or stick.  

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL - I was as happy when Kelvin ran off to IN as you all were when Shaka left for Marquette.  He was an annoying MF who had a shitty brand of hoops.  We have been to final fours before and after his ass.  Fuck Kelvin Sampson.  Give me Moser 10 times out of 10.  

You probably were making a joke - but still too soon, fuck that MF.  

You're an idiot. Most doctors are. 

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I don't talk about this much, but there's a reason I don't even belong to Baylor sports message board. Such a beat down. I barely tolerate most Baylor people.

I'm really happy for this team. They earned this.

Yeah, I got banned from sicem365 for stating a fact about Briles that they didn't take kindly too. 

Prisoner of the moment shit, I know. But isn’t that the most impressive performance by a team in a college basketball national championship game? Consider all factors, remove all bias, and really think about it. I think it is. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Even though they're now 5 games deep into this tournament I'm still wondering if not having played a competitive schedule has covered up any deficiencies in the Zags game. Guess I won't have to wait long to find out.

I think what I saw in Gonzaga was a team that was not conditioned mentally or physically by a high end, rough and tumble conference schedule. Baylor benefits from playing in the BXII and Coach Few can't replicate that.

Congrats Bears, congrats Coach Drew! Sic 'em!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I think what I saw in Gonzaga was a team that was not conditioned mentally or physically by a high end, rough and tumble conference schedule. Baylor benefits from playing in the BXII and Coach Few can't replicate that.

That's exactly my thought. Go look at Gonzaga's schedule. They played virtually nobody except Iowa (and turns out the Big10 was way overrated). Their conference schedule was like if we played UTSA and Abiliene Christian 15 times... wait. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

That's exactly my thought. Go look at Gonzaga's schedule. They played virtually nobody except Iowa (and turns out the Big10 was way overrated). Their conference schedule was like if we played UTSA and Abiliene Christian 15 times... wait. 

They also played KU and WVU in their OOC schedule and won both. I think the WVU game was maybe early to mid December, KU was prior to that even and frankly I'm not sure what games at that point in a season will reveal about a team. 

And don't discredit that ACU team, yes they're a rabbit but a rabbit with a mean streak a mile wide.

9 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I feel like i'm watching that scene in Friday night lights when those grown ass men from Dallas carter come out to that much smaller almost prepubescent team from Permian.  

See the source image

See the source image

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

This scene always pisses me off. That god damned game was not in the dome. Which I can confirm because I was fucking there at DKR.

I attended this game.

I walked over from Castilian with a suitemate and we sat on the Carter side. (Far side from West Campus.) We were fairly easy to spot.

The roof over DKR-Memorial hadn’t been built yet...

Carter won and I celebrated. 

I believe that was overcast and a little windy that day. Oh, and...

FUCK BAYLOR!

It’s not their schedule. It’s called it’s basically impossible to go undefeated and win the title. It has nothing to do with the conference bullshit, Baylor played as perfect as you can hope and if they played again tomorrow Gonzaga would probably win. 

This should lay to rest though anyone’s thoughts that Texas should just be happy making a sweet 16 or EE run, if fucking Baylor can win a title literally any team in the country can and excuses are for pussy schools. 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Congrats Bears, congrats Coach Drew! Sic 'em!

Username checks out

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s not their schedule. It’s called it’s basically impossible to go undefeated and win the title. It has nothing to do with the conference bullshit, Baylor played as perfect as you can hope and if they played again tomorrow Gonzaga would probably win. 

This should lay to rest though anyone’s thoughts that Texas should just be happy making a sweet 16 or EE run, if fucking Baylor can win a title literally any team in the country can and excuses are for pussy schools. 

I don’t know how you can say that. Nothing about last night was even remotely fluky. I’m not saying Gonzaga wouldn’t win a game or 2 if they played a 7 game series, but the offensive rebounds, and wide open 3s weren’t a fluke at all. That was a worst case scenario matchup for Gonzaga, and honestly, if Baylor never got covid this year they might not have been underdogs in this game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So you think Baylor is gonna shoot the lights out like that every game? And based off the tourney then Arkansas was the second best team because they played Baylor the closest. One game of dominance doesn’t mean that’s how it would be if they played 7 times. 

They were getting wide open 3s all game. Unless you see an adjustment that Gonzaga can make that I don’t see, yeah I think they’ll hit their wide open 3s considering they were one of the best 3 point shooting teams in college basketball. 

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They were getting wide open 3s all game. Unless you see an adjustment that Gonzaga can make that I don’t see, yeah I think they’ll hit their wide open 3s considering they were one of the best 3 point shooting teams in college basketball. 

Lol yea I think mark few could make adjustments. I’m not downplaying the incredible game and dominate game Baylor played and I’m also not gonna act like Gonzaga couldn’t make adjustments but that doesn’t matter because it’s a one game winner take all game so it doesn’t matter.

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol yea I think mark few could make adjustments. I’m not downplaying the incredible game and dominate game Baylor played and I’m also not gonna act like Gonzaga couldn’t make adjustments but that doesn’t matter because it’s a one game winner take all game so it doesn’t matter.

Gonzaga rarely played zone all year. They felt forced to play it last night because they had no answer for Baylor’s athleticism, and Baylor killed them from 3. It was a terrible matchup for Gonzaga, but you’re right. I guess we’ll never know. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

It’s like when game 1 of the nba finals where one team dominates and all fans think it’s a sweep then the next game happens and it all changes. It’s part of sports, maybe Baylor would win every game by 16 and kill them in a 7 game series but I don’t think so. I think for one game Scott drew and Baylor played a perfect game and beat that ass and that’s all that matters. 

12 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s like when game 1 of the nba finals where one team dominates and all fans think it’s a sweep then the next game happens and it all changes. It’s part of sports, maybe Baylor would win every game by 16 and kill them in a 7 game series but I don’t think so. I think for one game Scott drew and Baylor played a perfect game and beat that ass and that’s all that matters. 

That may be true. My main point was in response to your original take of “if they played tomorrow Gonzaga would probably win.” 

Gonzaga shot 51% from the field for the game and still never got within 8 after the first 5 minutes of the game. I honestly didn't understand why Gonzaga was such a foregone favorite heading into the game given how well Baylor plays defense and was curious how well they'd function against Baylor's D going into last night. What I didn't anticipate was how dominant Baylor would be on the boards. They took 18 more FGs than the Zags and were physically imposing. I actually do think the newness of that physicality was a factor for Gonzaga and had they played in a conference where they saw that level of toughness and physical play night after night they would've been better served. It makes sense that Gonzaga's closest game heading into last night was against WVU and that was a WVU team with both Culver & Tshiebwe to contend with. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gonzaga shot 51% from the field for the game and still never got within 8 after the first 5 minutes of the game. I honestly didn't understand why Gonzaga was such a foregone favorite heading into the game given how well Baylor plays defense and was curious how well they'd function against Baylor's D going into last night. What I didn't anticipate was how dominant Baylor would be on the boards. They took 18 more FGs than the Zags and were physically imposing. I actually do think the newness of that physicality was a factor for Gonzaga and had they played in a conference where they saw that level of toughness and physical play night after night they would've been better served. 

I also feel like the refereeing was really inconsistent to their other games. I don't think the game within itself was inconsistent, but it was when compared to the other games they played. That can have a pretty big impact when the game is also substantially more physical instead of finesse 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So you think Baylor is gonna shoot the lights out like that every game? And based off the tourney then Arkansas was the second best team because they played Baylor the closest. One game of dominance doesn’t mean that’s how it would be if they played 7 times. 

lol this cat watched his first basketball game ever last night

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1