Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me help all of you out. It's a man-bun. He'll blame it on Covid, but he loves that fucking thing. 

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me help all of you out. It's a man-bun. He'll blame it on Covid, but he loves that fucking thing. 

Fucking knew it. 

A little weird for such a tough talker to be the Covid scaredy cat still afraid of getting a haircut 7 months in. 

Is he still wiping down his Amazon grocery delivery with Clorox wipes like it’s March? What a vag. 

Edited by GRHorn

Just now, RGBIII said:

BJ Foster has a cast on his hand...guess that’s how Herman handles penance internally

B1D4E27F-5EB9-4C68-9D50-58CB20A866BA.png

Uh, you do see the date plastered all over that post, right?

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

ask and thou shall receive

Haha, someone had already created an account with that name, so you had to delete/change their profile too

19 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

To be clear, I’ve made fun of CTJ’s choice of language on a football board as well. You two actually do have a lot in common: arrogance, using language we have to google, and a history of  bold, but true, predictions.

i would like to take this time to apologize im a woo i can admit when i was wrong

i thought u were the opp who met ctj in real life but i have been informed it was @SydneyCarton

6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Welcome back, Halas. I was going back through some visitors from this time last year. Any sense in giving Brett Canis another look?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10084144/5f53c792b535ba0b3451dcc5

Sorry...tend to post less during football season. Don’t have the time.

i don’t see much there to get excited over. He’s a white Erick Cade. 

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Leyrer was the last guy on UT’s radar I thought was even worth a take, and missing on him sucked that much worse because of it.  Are you aware of any guys in state you think we should be looking at? 

Some will emerge but no one off the top of my head. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Couple things:

• Nahlin is suggesting that Mukuba is not currently a take for Clemson and the pendulum may be swinging back to Texas. Abridged, but: "If he had to choose today, Clemson wouldn't be an option"
  • Our very own @Fud has his ear to the streets and the LSU boards are not lighting up like they expect Cooks to commit or is currently a silent. He's said this before but they have decent insiders at TigerDroppings
  • Communication between Texas and Jaylon Williams has dropped off this past week and he's hearing from LSU and Georgia regularly. Eric posits that the LSU communication is good for Texas and Cooks

Also, incoming butthurtedness from 9.95ers with the Cooks/LSU flirtation. Absolutely none of them read the the leaves correctly because they thought this one was over months ago. Joe Cook is over there defending IT, "sounds like recruiting to me". Fuck off, Joe. If you had an inkling of an idea that he was open to other schools, you would have said something about it instead of TERRENCE COOKS IS THE MOST LIKELY NEXT COMMIT over and over and over and over and over again since December.

The Boston College kid?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tobias-hair-plugs-arrested_400.jpg

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Fucking knew it. 

A little weird for such a tough talker to be the Covid scaredy cat still afraid of getting a haircut 7 months in. 

Is he still wiping down his Amazon grocery delivery with Clorox wipes like it’s March? What a vag. 

tenor.gif

15 hours ago, Halas said:

Fucked yo by not prioritizing him earlier. Big time. Unlike what’s still left out there he can stay at tackle. 

What do you think of Max Merril? He looks pretty athletic on film. He'll need to bulk up though.

9 hours ago, TXpride said:

What do you think of Max Merril? He looks pretty athletic on film. He'll need to bulk up though.

Can you post his Hudl? I can’t seem to find it. 

1 minute ago, Halas said:

Can you post his Hudl? I can’t seem to find it. 

He looks to have good feet, but he seems pretty small and not particularly strong. Seems like a good interior guy. I personally like these kind of guys inside verses some of the slow, gentle giants that we seem to be going after. I don't see a future moving guys like Cade inside.

(Posted this to the Aggie thread.  It was a mistake.)

image.thumb.png.fec5edf49361db239b15c6bad00f9273.png

image.thumb.png.7dfdfd0b011ca4d1897ac01ea0957872.png

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Thoughts on a few upcoming decisions

Glizzy up.  Me likey.

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts on a few upcoming decisions

MikeRoach

—Terrence Cooks recently put on social media that he was close to making a decision. This isn't exactly a surprise since Cooks originally was aiming for an early October commitment. To be frank, there have been several times during the past few months we heard Cooks was close to a decision and I believe it would have been Texas at that point. I think Texas has been the front-runner since the spring, but the offer from LSU definitely shook things up. I believe the family is a bit split as one side is from the Baton Rouge area and they prefer the Tigers. As I've maintained, the relationship with Coleman Hutzler is very strong, and it's hard to see any other coach overcome that. It will likely come down what Cooks considers the most important factors in his recruitment. At this point, my pick is still on Texas, but the biggest thing the Longhorns will have to overcome is the perception that highly ranked players don't get developed in Austin.

—Nick spoke with Andrew Mukuba earlier today. He'll have a full story on Friday, but it sounds like Mukuba could be nearing a decision as well. This has been one of the hardest recruitments I've ever had to read, and the information around Mukuba has been a bit all over the place. While Mukuba claims a top four of Texas, Clemson, Missouri and LSU, I think this is truly a heads-up race between Texas and Clemson. Over the past month, I got the feeling that Clemson was opening up a bit of a lead, but lately, I think that Texas might have the momentum. Texas is the only school he's visited at this point, but he recently told Horns247 that he was prepared to make a decision regardless. The information coming out of his camp is pretty tight, and Mukuba isn't even divulging a lot to those closest to him. Nobody worked harder on this recruitment than Chris Ash and Mukuba has multiple factors pointing to him staying home. At this point, I'm going to lean towards Texas and the stock on the confidence meter is trending slightly up.

—I saw Texas commit Ishmael Ibraheem at practice today. I didn't get to see a ton because he had to leave early, but he looks to be in great shape heading into his senior season. He's even been able to put some weight on. Ibraheem told me schools are still after him but he's not even paying attention to them. He's locked into his commitment and he was happy with the way Texas played over the weekend.

—The dead period was extended until January 1 today. That officially puts an end to the hope of any visits in 2020. There's still a loophole for prospects to come to campuses for games. For years, the standing policy has been that any member of the Texas High School Coaches Association can request two tickets free of charge. That policy is still in place, and it's the reason Caleb Burton was able to attend last week with his father who is a head coach. I would expect recruits who want to visit to reach out to their coaches and ask if they can take them, but I'm not sure how widespread that will be. Of course, these prospects aren't allowed to have any face-to-face contact with Texas staff.

The Cooks stuff is making me nervous. Our $9.95ers have all had him as a done deal for months, but their version of the story is that he just keeps putting it off and now LSU is in the picture. I believe Scipio said in the middle of one of his rambling 20,000 word screeds once that a lot of times in recruiting it's the trendline that's indicative, not the absolute position.

Every $9.95er update on Mukuba says something slightly different. Someone was saying ASU was in the picture, now Roach says Mizzou out of nowhere. It wouldn't surprise me if Clemson and Texas are the top two but I think anything we hear beyond that is just a pure wild guess.

Can someone tell me why Mukuba is so underrated? The composite shows him at 43 just in the state of Texas, what are the evaluators missing on him? Thanks 

10 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Can someone tell me why Mukuba is so underrated? The composite shows him at 43 just in the state of Texas, what are the evaluators missing on him? Thanks 

NAILED the username, bruh. 

27 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

His composite issue lies in the Rivals OU bias. March 1 McCutching decommits from Alabama and silents to OU. He tells the OU staff that he will get Mukuba to commit as well. In this time period Mukuba's ranking goes from 64 in the state to 43 in the state on May 13th. Mukuba released a top 12 list on May 19th and did not include the Sooners. The next time that Rivals updated their rankings he fell to 56 in the state, unranked nationally.

247 has him as a 91 overall - 214 in the country. He started as an 85. 

ESPN has him as 33 in the state (194 in the country) and 83 overall (the same overall grade as Foster, Blackshire, Ketron, Quay, etc) a single point bump could move him as high as 15. 

I am bullish on Mukuba and think he should be a top 10-15 guy. So I think they all have him undervalued but it's Ferrell and Rivals that are doing him the biggest disservice and it's clear why. Fuck that guy. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

His composite issue lies in the Rivals OU bias. March 1 McCutching decommits from Alabama and silents to OU. He tells the OU staff that he will get Mukuba to commit as well. In this time period Mukuba's ranking goes from 64 in the state to 43 in the state on May 13th. Mukuba released a top 12 list on May 19th and did not include the Sooners. The next time that Rivals updated their rankings he fell to 56 in the state, unranked nationally.

247 has him as a 91 overall - 214 in the country. He started as an 85. 

ESPN has him as 33 in the state (194 in the country) and 83 overall (the same overall grade as Foster, Blackshire, Ketron, Quay, etc) a single point bump could move him as high as 15. 

I am bullish on Mukuba and think he should be a top 10-15 guy. So I think they all have him undervalued but it's Ferrell and Rivals that are doing him the biggest disservice and it's clear why. Fuck that guy. 

Do you see him as nickel, safety or lb?

Mike Roach: Where to find Texas commits and targets in action

The high school football season is in full swing. Texas commits are showing off their skills all over the country, and Horns247 has you covered. This will be the last week where just the lower levels of Texas high school football are on the field with an adjusted schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Longhorns currently hold 17 commitments in the 2021 class — five-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders, four-star Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman, four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner, four-star Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas, four-star New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., three-star Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell, four-star Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson, four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem, three-star Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, Pro Kick Australia punter Isaac Pearson, four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey, three-star New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain, three-star Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski, three-star Austin High quarterback Charles Wright, three-star Englewood (Co.) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm and three-star Everman athlete Juan Davis as current commits in the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class.

Let’s take a look at this week’s matchups.

Hallettsville RB Jonathon Brooks: The Brahmas (2-1) won big with a huge win over Ganado last week. Hallettsville will try to keep momentum rolling this week when they host Rice at Brahma Memorial Stadium on Friday at 7:30 PM.

Kennedale safety JD Coffey: Coffey and Kennedale (1-0) got on the board in their first week playing with a win over Sunnyvale last Friday. It will be a short turnaround for the Wildcats as they face off against Fort Worth Carter-Riverside at Handley Field on Thursday at 7PM.

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny OL Michael Myslinski: The Crusaders (0-1) lost a tight one last week. Myslinski and his team will try to reverse momentum when they take on Jacksonville (Fla.) Parker at Parker on Friday at 6 PM.

Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe WR Talyn Shettron: The Wolves (1-2) broke the losing streak with a win over Edmond (Okla.) North last week. They will be on bye this week before getting back into action against Edmond (Okla.) Memorial on September 25.

Spearman ATH Brenen Thompson: The Lynx (3-0) have been rolling on the back of Thompson’s strong performances. They will try to continue this week when they face off against Vega at Lynx Stadium on Friday at 7PM.

Lexington ATH Jarred Kerr: The Eagles (3-0) have been one of the most exciting teams in Texas in the early going, and Kerr is a big reason. Lexington will try to remain perfect this week against Cameron Yoe at Yoe Field on Friday at 7:30 PM.

El Campo RB Rueben Owens: The Ricebrids (1-1) lost a hard-fought game to Port Lavaca Calhoun last week. El Campo returns to action this week when they host Wharton at Ricebird Stadium on Friday at 7:30 PM.

Lots of good things to show to recruits from the UTEP game.

(Ian Boyd) Inside the gameplan: The Longhorns show off their schematic makeover

After a tumultuous offseason, we finally got to see the Longhorns take the field on Saturday night. Following the hiring of new coordinators on both sides of the ball, Texas received what proved to be a fairly extensive makeover and finally gave the reveal to their fans. The new look was striking.

Mike Yurcich has finally dragged Texas all the way into the world of pass-first offense, eschewing the option of trying to establish the run against a UTEP team clearly anticipating that approach and instead empowering Sam Ehlinger to fling the ball around. When Texas threw the ball on a vertical RPO to the wide side of the field for a touchdown on the first play of the game they broadcast a loud message to the rest of the Big 12.

Chris Ash’s defense wasn’t quite what I envisioned but was certainly in line with practice reports. They rarely gave the quarterback a clean pre-snap look but used a lot of clever, well-timed coverage shifts, achieving the “look complicated but be simple” model Ash emphasized in the offseason. After reviewing the game I was able to get a solid sense of how the base schemes work and what to expect from Texas in 2020.

Ash’s base defense

I was thrown off by how much cover 3 Ash played early in the game. They’d start from a two-high/quarters look but then always roll into a single high coverage. It was typically one you wouldn’t guess from the initial alignment.

I’ve been watching how teams rotate coverages for years now and sometimes you can tell pre-snap what’s really coming because of the offensive formation and alignment rules out all but one option. Not so with this unit, they’d show a coverage that would make sense against the formation only to shift into another one (that also made sense). Here’s an example:

Before the snap it looks like the sort of trips coverage in which the boundary safety helps rob the post from the boundary receivers while the nickel has to play like a corner to the field. Instead, the field safety rotated down late to help the middle linebacker with the slots and the boundary safety rotated deep, leaving the boundary corner in man coverage.

Eventually they played more of the press-quarters we expected, but they showed more in this game than just one base coverage. The apparent diversity and commitment to disguise should be encouraging to Texas fans. Philosophically it’s much closer to the approach by teams like 2019 Kansas State, putting an emphasis on having multiple options to leverage receivers rather than using valuable practice time to nail down a gazillion pressure packages. In the Big 12 you need options to clamp down on top receivers, if you’re utilizing a four-down front then you’ve already made a lot of concessions to the needs of the pass-rush. You don’t double down against an ace.

The big question every team faces is how to handle trips formations, a topic we’ve covered here extensively in the offseason. When the offense loads three receivers to one side of the field, then another (maybe the best one) alone on the boundary, how do you handle the spacing? Texas had three answers in this game. The base approach in their press-quarters scheme was “solo,” a coverage which asks the field safety to help the nickel over the top, the boundary safety to help over the top for the middle linebacker, and then leaves the boundary corner in man coverage on the backside.

If the boundary safety isn’t occupied by the need to catch that third receiver going vertical, or if he’s really good with his eyes, he might be able to help the boundary corner on a post route. He’s not helping on fades or comebacks though, that’s all on the corner. You’ll notice in both of these instances Texas had Josh Thompson on the boundary (he stays on the left side) and he made plays. UTEP took a shot on Thompson when he was left alone on a deep post to the wide side of the field as well. The boundary safety (B.J. Foster) wasn’t aware and didn’t get depth to help him out, but Thompson still shut it down.

Texas had two other trips coverages in this game. One was “cover 3-buzz mable,” which has the strong safety rotate down to help the middle linebacker, the boundary safety drop to the deep middle, and the corners and even nickel potentially isolated. Seattle’s “Legion of Boom” made this one famous, buzzing down Kam Chancellor and dropping Earl Thomas deep while asking Richard Sherman to hold up in man coverage on the backside. The other trips coverage was a more extreme version of the same thing, fire zone coverage with man or match coverage everywhere and then a single deep safety over the top. Texas brought a fire zone on the first defensive snap of the game, perhaps to troll me.

Those blitzes will be useful in attacking the Big 12 offensive lines that can’t handle 1-on-1 matchups. As defensive mastermind Bill Belichik says, you blitz bad lines and you drop eight against good ones. You want to attack the enemy on the worst possible turf for him. I’m sure Sun Tzu has some quote or another expressing this concept. You don’t want to blitz the better lines as much. I think we’ve all seen enough now to understand why not.

The next big question on defense should be pretty well answered by the Texas Tech game. The coverages Texas showed against UTEP usually gave corners help on the post route but they would concede the slot fade to the nickel in the single-high coverages (see the near touchdown against Chris Adimora) and they trusted Thompson and Jamison to hold up against fade routes. Texas Tech is going to go after those defenders and coverages with those exact routes executed by a big, dangerous receiving corps. We’ll see if Ash has some coverages in the playbook to help Thompson out or if the redshirt junior is simply good enough to play on an island regardless of the opponent.

Mike Yurcich’s offense

This was my favorite play of the game.

They hurried into this set, and you can see the UTEP strong safety struggling to figure out where he’s supposed to be. A now screen to the bottom might have been easy yardage for Texas, or at least it would be if they’d executed it properly. They’re also running inside zone and it’s right on the edge of being called for “ineligible man downfield” (Kerstetter). So Ehlinger has three options on the play, throw to the bottom, hand off, or throw to the top, based on where the defense aligns numbers.

What makes this design so effective is the three receivers loaded into the boundary. They create a lot of space for the single side receiver to the field, like an isolation clear out in a basketball game. UTEP, as most teams would in this situation, gives Brenden Schooler a lot of space to avoid getting beat over the top. Schooler runs a hitch route and then after a nice ball and a stiff-arm he’s running all alone with the rest of the Miners on the other side of the field. The better answer from UTEP would have been to surrender an easy run, but that wasn’t their gameplan.

We’ll call this one “touchdown play 2.0.” It’s an unbalanced sort of formation they can easily get into while moving at “warp speed,” just like they can with the 4x0 tight zone/bubble screen RPO they ran so often in 2019 (and used twice in this game). The defense has to figure out how to align to it very quickly and then Ehlinger is in position to make quick decisions and distribute the ball in space to playmakers.

There’s no reason Texas couldn’t mix in such schemes regularly and have a half dozen or more “touchdown plays” with wonky, perhaps unbalanced formations and multiple options attached to runs for Sam Ehlinger to choose from. Don’t be surprised if they do, what else is a senior quarterback for?

It’s hard to overstate how deadly such a dimension to the offense could be this season. Texas has never had an offense designed to use spread formations and tempo to generate space and options for their quarterback to distribute the ball to playmakers with room to make something happen. There are diminishing returns against top defenses with time to gameplan all your favorite “touchdown plays” but then Texas can fall back on the pro-spread, “isolate the top receiver” schemes they’ve been uniquely good at in recent seasons.

As for receivers, there are a few obvious options for getting looks on third-and-six. Tarik Black had a fantastic opening game, catching a few shallow crosses and hitch passes while narrowly missing a touchdown when Ehlinger slightly overthrew him on a post. Brenden Schooler hasn’t done much yet, except demonstrate great technique on his two hitch route catches and break tackles in both instances (one captured above). After another two weeks he might be able to greatly expand his role. Josh Moore is not only blazing fast but also went up for a catch in the seam on a four-verticals play and accepted the punishment that came from exposing his small body. Very promising showing from Moore. We’ve still yet to even see Jake Smith, who was reportedly developing a great connection with Ehlinger before the injury.

Brennan Eagles made a fantastic touchdown catch but also struggled with his assignments and once ran into another receiver while trying to run a snag route. Texas notably diminished their emphasis on RPOs when Eagles replaced Collin Johnson at the X a year ago. If he’s still not reliably in the right spots there’s more competition to keep him on the bench this year.

Texas also made some use of 12 personnel. This time instead of using it as a way to guarantee enough hats in the box to run the ball regardless of what the defense did, Ehlinger was empowered to throw the ball outside when the defense loaded the box and gave him 1-on-1 matchups outside.

There was very much a 2017 Oklahoma vibe to the Longhorn offense against UTEP. Those Sooners also had a senior quarterback executing a wide array of schemes designed to help inexperienced wideouts. Texas will need to find 1-2 players who can beat man coverage against top defenders and command extra attention to reach their ceiling as an offense, but I think the days of Texas struggling to blow away weaker Big 12 opponents are over.

Really the only significant concerns from this game were on the offensive line, where Texas wasn’t able to consistently impose their will against a loaded box. This offense isn’t necessarily designed to do that, which should be seen as a mercy for Texas fans, and the run blocking wasn’t really so bad anyways. Some of it was even a touch different than a year go. It seems Yurcich didn’t allow a pandemic to stop him from putting more emphasis on outside zone blocking like he had at Oklahoma State and Ohio State:

Texas’ lighter offensive line looked pretty comfortable moving laterally, was that the plan all along? At 6-foot-5, 310 pounds with enough athleticism to stick at tackle, Derek Kerstetter is a center in the mold of a Barrett Jones or Ryan Kelly who powered some terrific stretch blocking schemes at Alabama, or Josh Myers who did so a year ago at Ohio State. Denzel Okafor and Junior Angilau are also quick laterally and Texas’ tackles are much more athletic and powerful than two years ago when their quarterback stretch play with an extra lead blocker was the only way they could count on winning the edge. Outside zone is also a more effective way to run zone-read and Texas mixed in some midline reads (leave an interior D-lineman unblocked and release the tackle) on the play for their younger quarterbacks and ran it as a triple option scheme with the pitch/toss to the tight end twice.

On rewatch Christian Jones was better than it appeared live, most of the issues to his side related to Texas losing hard-charging defenders while trying to trade off blocks on these zone concepts. When you load the box you can cause problems for zone schemes with aggressive linebacker play, but you also might see your opponent house hitch routes. Wait and see how this looks against a team that prioritizes stopping Ehlinger and the passing game before getting overly fretful. Isaiah Hookfin was terrific off the bench. When he hit people there was a noticeable shock and displacement. Andrej Karic looked like the premier athlete Texas needs in the tackle pipeline.

It doesn’t appear Texas will lack for quality athletes on the line this season. Stay tuned for how well they can handle stunts and inside pressure.

The schedule sets up quite favorably for Texas. Texas Tech will test the defense with run/pass conflicts and outside receivers matched up on the cornerbacks, but their own defense will leave them overmatched against the Longhorns. Then TCU will stress test Texas’ offense and their ability to beat good coverage outside or handle well executed pressures. But the Frogs don’t have the offense to really challenge Texas. The upshot is a series of useful tuneups before round one in Dallas. This time Texas will be bringing more firepower into the shootout.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Lots of good things to show to recruits from the UTEP game.

(Ian Boyd) Inside the gameplan: The Longhorns show off their schematic makeover

I’d honestly rather shoot myself than try to read that whole thing. This is classic Ian Boyd. He just writes the most boring words imaginable going in an endless loop.  If we leave a CB alone on the boundary, other teams will attack that, and if we take the safety off the slot fade to help on the boundary, then teams will attack the slot fade.
No shit, dude. There’s no such thing as a perfect coverage, which is why teams disguise and mix up coverages and make coverage decisions based on opposing personnel, so obviously we’ll handle coverages differently against Tech than UTEP. He really is the epitome of missing the forest for the trees. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’d honestly rather shoot myself than try to read that whole thing. This is classic Ian Boyd. He just writes the most boring words imaginable going in an endless loop.  If we leave a CB alone on the boundary, other teams will attack that, and if we take the safety off the slot fade to help on the boundary, then teams will attack the slot fade.
No shit, dude. There’s no such thing as a perfect coverage, which is why teams disguise and mix up coverages and make coverage decisions based on opposing personnel, so obviously we’ll handle coverages differently against Tech than UTEP. He really is the epitome of missing the forest for the trees. 

You truly hate Boyd. Lol

You write pretty long winded posts. I think you should try blogging like him. Step into the arena. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Okay, but this time say it again and use 2,500 words.