BigDHornfan

The Gun Owner’s thread

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

a never fired Garand

It's so sweet.  The snap of the bolt shutting when loading.  That distinctive ping of the ejected clip.  Greatest battlefield rifle ever devised.  

uNj2JQIeSRY4HLTbV7XV4_kHu7ZXn7kNxxRIu4kf

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I have the trifecta. My Garand is the CMP Special, completely restored, she's a beauty 

I have a trifecta from the CMP.  Luckily got drawn in the 1911 lottery very early.

Edited by Reagan1k

One of my brothers has an M1 that he picked up years ago.  It's in great condition.  Been working on him for a long time to sell it to me, but he will not budge.    

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

One of my brothers has an M1 that he picked up years ago.  It's in great condition.  Been working on him for a long time to sell it to me, but he will not budge.    

Ask him to let you shoot it.....;)

m1a2-abrams-battle-tank-02.jpg?itok=RZSw

@Armybrat I have a 9 year old SR9 that I like. Comfortable, reliable. Is the quality still the same on today's production? My uncle is looking for a entry handgun. Thought I might have him try one out. Thanks. Hope I didn't wake you from your nap.😉

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

@Armybrat I have a 9 year old SR9 that I like. Comfortable, reliable. Is the quality still the same on today's production? My uncle is looking for a entry handgun. Thought I might have him try one out. Thanks. Hope I didn't wake you from your nap.😉

Yes it is. Bought my first one in 2008 (paid $430 at a gun show) and two more late last year  ($300 & $250 online.- both new). Of course prices jumped this spring with the craziness. Fit, & finish are excellent.
The 1st one suffered a bunch of light strikes with WWB ammo at the initial range session. Cleaning all the gunk out of the striker channel did the trick. No more failures In the several hundred subsequent rounds I put thru it before gifting it to my son 5 years ago. Have not shot the two new ones yet, but they came a lot cleaner from the factory than the first one.
Extra magazines are hard to come by nowadays, but did see that GrabaGun today has the 2-pack of 17 rounders in stock (at the moment) for $46.99 plus tax & shipping. Last pair I ordered two months ago were $39.99.

The SR9 is no longer regular production, but is sold as distributor editions, from what I understand. Good luck on finding one. 
My last one bought in December from Sportsman’s Warehouse... still has the tag. The other one is fixing to get fired for function check as is my new Ruger PC Carbine, which uses the same 17 round magazines.

0B13E02B-4DCD-4A5D-83BE-7790BE4A4A25.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

On 7/31/2020 at 1:22 PM, BabaYaga said:

Ask him to let you shoot it.....;)

m1a2-abrams-battle-tank-02.jpg?itok=RZSw

Oh, that has happened.  When it did, I entertained fleeting thoughts of hightailing it out of there with the gun in hand (I am younger and faster . . . even when toting a 10 pound rifle),  but that would have made future family get-togethers a little awkward. 

15 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Big difference between a Garand and a tank!

A Garand that identifies as a tank?

Man, ammo is tight.  Wanted to go light, 100rds of Hornady 9mm Critical Defense 115gr.  Couldn't even do that.  In the period from checkout to entry of payment, my order of 4 boxes had to be reduced to 3.  I hear .45acp is even worse?  

Posted (edited)

You were lucky to score 3 boxes. 

Federal ran out of all their 9mm AE range stuff yesterday. That’s the direct factory outlet. 😲

Edited by Armybrat

Posted (edited)

Just looked at the Federal site.... they have available at the moment 9mm AE 124 gr. Fmj for $18.99/box of 50. (Double usual price).

Free shipping for purchases over $99.

Right now, SGammo has 27 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115 grain HP for $27.95/box of 25, plus tax & shipping.

Edited by Armybrat

I should buy a .243. Ammo is everywhere.

Edit: plz don’t post a picture of a Wilson combat AR in .243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I agree. I have several. They are fun to shoot and you can do anything from varmint to deer well. 

If I had notched the stock on my Rem 788 .243 for every deer it killed there’d be no wood left......Just barrel and receiver. 

Love the Mohawks too.  Takes me back.....I’d love to pick one up myself. 

51 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Edit: plz don’t post a picture of a Wilson combat AR in .243.

That’ll last until Sept. or Oct. when the casual deer hunters each grab a couple boxes for their annual sight in and deer season.  

Once it’s gone it’ll be slow to restock bc the mfgs will still be playing catch up on the volume stuff.  What’s available now- .243, .270, ‘06 and 7mag will be scarce by December. 

I’d agree with that. Although right now it’s plentiful and I could buy 3000 rounds in an hour.

I’ve been scooping up 300BO, 6.5C, and 9mm like crazy.

Before my folks moved out of state, helped Dad downsize his deer rifle to a sweet Savage 114 American Classic Stainless with a decent Cabelas-brand 3x9 scope.  Perfect round for shooters getting older or with smaller frames.  Anyway, it's a safe queen and he mentioned giving it to my son this year who went through the ROOF when he heard.  He was so excited.  In Texas, .243 is an all around fantastic round.  As mentioned, varmints, deer, pigs.  Flat and fast with a short-action rifle.  I might use it more than him....;)

243 is one of my all time favorite cartridges.  Flat shooting and fast.  Then again, I love anything 6mm or 6.5.  

243 is one of my all time favorite cartridges.  Flat shooting and fast.  Then again, I love anything 6mm or 6.5.  

Bought the kid a 7mm-08, and I steal it often. Great light tree stand gun that shoots great. Was between .243 and 7mm-08 for his first deer gun, but don’t regret it.

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Bought the kid a 7mm-08, and I steal it often. Great light tree stand gun that shoots great. Was between .243 and 7mm-08 for his first deer gun, but don’t regret it.

Same parent cartridge, short-action, and can load a heavier grain pill.  Both are great.  

My local SO picked up one of these 5.7 handguns in a drug dealer arrest this week. First time I have read about one on the streets. (Street crime is my career.) Interesting.

31 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

My local SO picked up one of these 5.7 handguns in a drug dealer arrest this week. First time I have read about one on the streets. (Street crime is my career.) Interesting.

Had to have been stolen.  Dealers and street criminals don’t go on wait lists at FFLs for a 5.7 and pay that cost for Ammo. 

Finally got to get my Keltec CMR30 out to the ranch last weekend to sight in the red dot optic.  Shot 30gr, 40gr, 45g, and 50gr.  It seemed to be most accurate with the 45 and 50gr and feed completely problem free with everything but the 30gr.  Their manual says that 30gr isn't enough to really cycle the action.  

For being a cheaply made, semi auto 22 magnum, the thing is almost laser gun accurate.  Many of the groups I shot at 25 yards were cloverleafs and at 50 - they were less than 1" (shooting in a benchrest)

Edited by krevo

On 8/7/2020 at 8:18 PM, Armybrat said:

Wouldn’t mind one of these in .243 for $1,199.

DDBB576C-B54B-4E19-860F-2F96CCD2F178.jpeg

I had a chance to pick one up in 22-250 from a old coworker of mine.  Still kick myself every time I see a picture of one.  I will own one some day.  Just has to be the right caliber.

37 minutes ago, krevo said:

I had a chance to pick one up in 22-250 from a old coworker of mine.  Still kick myself every time I see a picture of one.  I will own one some day.  Just has to be the right caliber.

Bet it wasn’t $1,199 either.

My oldest brother bought one for under $500 a few decades ago. .30-06.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, HRSchenker said:

Blah blah blah supply and demand free market whatever. I still can't believe this is real

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/dfw-glock-g17-gen-2.99118/

It’s not real, but Cheaper Than Dirt is really selling 9mm for $1.00/pop in 50 round boxes.  That blows my mind that they must have takers at that price. 

It’s not real, but Cheaper Than Dirt is really selling 9mm for $1.00/pop in 50 round boxes.  That blows my mind that they must have takers at that price. 

Of course they are.

And that linked thread is like California off roster prices right there

I have a 660 in 6.5 Remington magnum learned to hunt with it, still have the same Nikon scope since 1990, I have inherited it when my dad passed, Ammo is hard to find and expensive and not easy to reload. The damn gun kicks like a mule too and is loud I know there are better options but I can’t bring myself to hunt with anything else, it has anchored everything I’ve ever shot with it within 10 feet and is an absolute laser, serial number has it from the early sixties.

I can't remember if I posted this earlier or not, but I finished this holster last month just in time for our four week tour of the western US. The gun is a Rossi .44 mag snub nose I picked up cheaply at Academy several years ago before a trip to Montana. I wanted something that I could carry while wearing our Osprey Poco Plus while hiking in bear country. If I wear it just above my front left pocket, it is actually very comfortable with the pack waist belt on and fairly easily accessible. 

spacer.png

It also conceals pretty well under an untucked T shirt with just the bottom sticking out.

10 hours ago, BrickTop said:

I have a 660 in 6.5 Remington magnum learned to hunt with it, still have the same Nikon scope since 1990, I have inherited it when my dad passed, Ammo is hard to find and expensive and not easy to reload. The damn gun kicks like a mule too and is loud I know there are better options but I can’t bring myself to hunt with anything else, it has anchored everything I’ve ever shot with it within 10 feet and is an absolute laser, serial number has it from the early sixties.

That's really cool.  A lot of people have no idea that the 6.5 Rem. Mag even existed.

Those 660's in 6.5 are pretty hard to come by.  Not many made relative to the more popular calibers at the time (like .243).

Honestly there aren't many "better options" as aside from ammo being a challenge, you can put that round up against any whitetail cartridge and not play second fiddle to any one.

Thanks for sharing that.!  

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Of course they are.

And that linked thread is like California off roster prices right there

Some of the replies to that were pretty funny - people offering to trade acres of land, etc. 

Guy had fun with it - even posted this 

hey everyone, thanks for your interest. So many people have messaged me, and honestly, it's overwhelming.
I've raised the price by just $150 to see if that will slow down the offers.
Thanks for understanding.

Sad thing is there are so many new guy buyers around right now they probably thought that was the going rate not knowing any better.  If left in a vacuum without the other posters turning it into a comedy routine, he'd have probably accidentally sold it for that to someone who didn't know any better.

That's really cool.  A lot of people have no idea that the 6.5 Rem. Mag even existed.
Those 660's in 6.5 are pretty hard to come by.  Not many made relative to the more popular calibers at the time (like .243).
Honestly there aren't many "better options" as aside from ammo being a challenge, you can put that round up against any whitetail cartridge and not play second fiddle to any one.
Thanks for sharing that.!  

5094c7b8e056ac6ed8e29f324c80c0f8.jpg
My apologies it’s a 600, always mix those up, stubby little thing 75076e6685b6048a45e41af7657886d8.jpg99c524a3db35dd82cb32aa26073367ff.jpg

Just now, BrickTop said:

My apologies it’s a 600, always mix those up, stubby little thing

Kissing cousins.  Both are cool little rifles.  The 600, 660, and 788 were all excellent rifles (especially considering their price points at the time) that have recently been more appreciated by shooters and collectors.  Sort of a cult following since their production numbers were a fraction of the 700.

I wanted a 600 carbine in .308 for a nostalgic truck gun to take until I got serious about it last year and saw the prices.  I wouldn't want to bang one around these days.

Edited by Reagan1k