2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

1.) He is likely right. 

2.) We just had a 5-win season and have 2 recent losses to Kansas. I'm fine with players karate kicking each other to the point of hospitalizations if it leads us to, finally, beating Iowa State. 

Of course he's right. I loved what he had to say. But he's clearly not self aware enough to know he doesnt have the skins to be calling teammates out. How does that motivate anyone? I hope a guy like Bijan called him out for it and then looked at the guys Ojomo called out and told them he's right. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, I bet Saban lets his players say anything they want to the media.

I'm pretty sure he's comfortable that what they want to say is in line with what he wants them to say. There is an important distinction between running your fucking mouth and having a team structure that promotes even if you run your mouth that it's fine because it's "in bounds" by nature.

No one is saying that what Ojomo said isn't true. It is. 

But you don't say that type of stuff in front of the media. I don't care what your record was last year or how big of a star you are. He called out individual players by name and talked about their buy-in level.

Imagine you just had a rough quarter at work and your co-worker sits down with you one day in the lunch room and you talk about what it will take to turn it around. They give you some guidance and encouragement. Then two weeks later during an all-staff meeting, the CEO opens up the floor and your co-worker stands up and talks about getting everyone in the company to pull in the same direction and shares that he had a heart to heart with you in the lunchroom a few weeks ago since you had a really tough quarter and how the company really needs you to turn it around. How would that make you feel?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hahahahahaha give me a break man. He literally said that Ewers didn't look as sharp today as Saturday and that Card was the more consistent TODAY. Never once did he or I say that "he's looking like the best we got"

We need a Ewers “We talkin about practice” rant. Either way, card seems to practice well and be a shell of himself in an actual game.

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm pretty sure he's comfortable that what they want to say is in line with what he wants them to say. There is an important distinction between running your fucking mouth and having a team structure that promotes even if you run your mouth that it's fine because it's "in bounds" by nature.

If one of Saban's players just said to the media what Ojomo said, that player would catch holy hell from Saban. 

If the Bama media followed up by asking Saban about a Bama player making negative comments, Nick would probably explode in a tirade and might talk about keeping stuff in house too.

I doubt Saban would catch as much shit about it as SARK is right now though. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Ojomo got caught up in the moment and he said a bunch of shit to the media he shouldnt have. I think Sark made it pretty clear Ojomo doesnt have the standing with the team to play that role. He's one rung above a JAG. Why some of you want a guy like that calling teammates out to the media is beyond me. 

That being said, I dont really see how Sark giving that answer helps the situation at all. It clearly caused some issues internally, why add fuel to the fire by giving the fuckfaces in the media more fodder? Shitshow, but what else can we expect from this program? 

This.. People are smiling, because they think this is the truth. I do not doubt it is the truth. This is not about the truth though. Outside of fans own selfish reasons, there is nothing good that can come from this. It is great negative recruiting fodder. "I told you the culture is a mess in Austin. Dont believe me? Here are Ojomo's comments.". I am sure a few players were not happy to be called out in the media. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

honestly that quote is even worse TBH. The fact that these guys are discouraged from actually talking to the media is extremely evident and is probably part of the culture problem.

The guys should feel like they can say anything they want to the media, it's up to the coaches to be comfortable with what they have to say not being putting teammates who fucking start on blast. Bench that mother fucker if he isn't taking it seriously, you are winning 5 fucking games not the god damned national championship, stop acting like it's some elite football team with world beaters at every position. There's a bunch of JAGs on this fucking team that get treated like superstars, that's the fucking problem. Losing to kansas with a 3rd string QB and missing a fucking bowl game. GTFO with your "don't tell the media about stuff" Sark you pussy ass bitch. He basically let the media know that they won't tell the truth and all the player interviews are effectively worthless, because the first interview that was actually good in fucking forever was too mean to players who sounded like they needed to get their shit together? I mean come the fuck on. 

After the Arkansas game I thought Sark was just figuring out how to get through a loss, and now I have realized that he's just a fucking loser - he didn't learn anything from Saban about building a culture of excellence. 

And today I learned that immamac is CTJ's sock

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

honestly that quote is even worse TBH. The fact that these guys are discouraged from actually talking to the media is extremely evident and is probably part of the culture problem.

The guys should feel like they can say anything they want to the media, it's up to the coaches to be comfortable with what they have to say not being putting teammates who fucking start on blast. Bench that mother fucker if he isn't taking it seriously, you are winning 5 fucking games not the god damned national championship, stop acting like it's some elite football team with world beaters at every position. There's a bunch of JAGs on this fucking team that get treated like superstars, that's the fucking problem. Losing to kansas with a 3rd string QB and missing a fucking bowl game. GTFO with your "don't tell the media about stuff" Sark you pussy ass bitch. He basically let the media know that they won't tell the truth and all the player interviews are effectively worthless, because the first interview that was actually good in fucking forever was too mean to players who sounded like they needed to get their shit together? I mean come the fuck on. 

After the Arkansas game I thought Sark was just figuring out how to get through a loss, and now I have realized that he's just a fucking loser - he didn't learn anything from Saban about building a culture of excellence. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If one of Saban's players just said to the media what Ojomo said, that player would catch holy hell from Saban. 

If the Bama media followed up by asking Saban about a Bama player making negative comments, Nick would probably explode in a tirade and might talk about keeping stuff in house too.

I doubt Saban would catch as much shit about it as SARK is right now though. 

Saban called out backup WRs after the national championship game, saying they weren't prepared and didn't have the right mindset. 

All of that said, all Sark needed to say is "We want to handle internal team issues, internally . Whether that's how a player is handling their preparation or how they interact with the media. We'll handle all of it internally."

This is like suggesting that North Koreans are free to say anything they want because whatever they say will be what Kim Jong Un wants them to say. 

Edited by Askew
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Ojomo got caught up in the moment and he said a bunch of shit to the media he shouldnt have. I think Sark made it pretty clear Ojomo doesnt have the standing with the team to play that role. He's one rung above a JAG. Why some of you want a guy like that calling teammates out to the media is beyond me. 

That being said, I dont really see how Sark giving that answer helps the situation at all. It clearly caused some issues internally, why add fuel to the fire by giving the fuckfaces in the media more fodder? Shitshow, but what else can we expect from this program? 

Yeah I can see the leaders/good players on the team looking around at each other with a “who the fuck is this guy preaching to?”   Now if Roshon said it that’s different but I don’t see Roshon saying that to the media.  That’s why he’s one of the leaders.  If you’ve ever had fellow coworkers who are low or mediocre performers get on a conference call and start telling everyone what they need to be doing you’ll understand that’s a poor way to handle that messaging.  Don’t be that guy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yeah I can see the leaders/good players on the team looking around at each other with a “who the fuck is this guy preaching to?”   Now if Roshon said it that’s different but I don’t see Roshon saying that to the media.  That’s why he’s one of the leaders.  If you’ve ever had fellow coworkers who are low or mediocre performers get on a conference call and start telling everyone what they need to be doing you’ll understand that’s a poor way to handle that messaging.  Don’t be that guy.  

the what?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Half speed routes on air and such, but that sure is an effortless release. 

2 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Fuckin' A right it is. 

Those effortless releases always amaze me. We had a 3rd string QB my senior year that could really air it out with seemingly no effort. Very impressive for someone who was 6'1" and MAYBE 120lbs.

sounds like something someone in the media would bitch about

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Of course he's right. I loved what he had to say. But he's clearly not self aware enough to know he doesnt have the skins to be calling teammates out. How does that motivate anyone? I hope a guy like Bijan called him out for it and then looked at the guys Ojomo called out and told them he's right. 

This, the most egregious one I thought was basically saying Christian Jones sucked and needs to figure his shit out. He's not wrong, but you just don't say that publicly. I am sure Jones turnstiled extra fast the next day in hopes of really laying a lick on Ojomo as he went by on the wrap around. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

But you don't say that type of stuff in front of the media. I don't care what your record was last year or how big of a star you are. He called out individual players by name and talked about their buy-in level.

We've had 12 years of kids saying the right thing and we've fucking sucked for those 12 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Saban would've facetimed his parents so they could watch him cut Ojomo's tongue out and eat it in front of them. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

So you just realized 7 win(or loss) Steve is actually 7 win Steve?

His players should never feel like they can say anything they want to the media.  "don't say shit that isn't completely positive about your teammates to the media" should have been #2 on the list after "be fucking on time(meaning 15 minutes early)" and before #3 "do not fail on the piss test".  If 7WS had to use this as a teachable moment(christ I hate that phrase) he failed for over a year in the easiest part of the job.

you and I are in agreement that 7WS is a loser but it has nothing to do with him not letting his players say whatever they want to the media.  It has to do with the fact that he is a barely average D1 head football coach.

I have been thinking about those comparisons a page or so back between Aikman and Ewers. At first I was thinking ...wow!...if only......

Then I remembered that Aikman at Ewers age was a 3rd string wishbone QB whose coach liked him so much he helped him transfer....

53 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

I wonder what @closetojumping thinks about seven win Steve’s comments 

Very little. The guy is a loser without a clue how to build a culture or a winning program. I'm hoping for 7 wins and will be whiteknuckling with everyone else here while this dildo butterfucks a second half lead against UTSA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/04/12/steve-sarkisian-suspends-players-media-availability-after-sharing-family-business/

By Bryan Clinton          Posted on April 12, 2022

Steve Sarkisian Suspends Player’s Media Availability After Sharing ‘Family Business’

Last week, Texas senior defensive lineman Moro Ojomo made headlines with some comments concerning the state of the Longhorns’ program in recent years.  On Thursday, Ojomo was asked to elaborate on his comments about only a couple of guys on the team receiving his message, and whether or not the team listens to him as a leader.

“They’re 18-to-22-year-olds that want to chase women, want to chase money, want to chase alcohol and they don’t see the future,” Ojomo said. “They’re very distracted by what is in front of them. it’s such a hard thing, especially guys that haven’t been in a winning culture. That’s why it’s very easy for a lot of these powerhouses to keep going, because it’s established. The new guys just come in and they’re like, ‘oh shit, this is how we do have to do it. Oh shit, this is what we do.’ It’s so much more difficult.

“They always talk about coming here and changing stuff. Coming here changing stuff, like it’s ingrained. You’re uprooting, what? 10 years of shit that’s just been let go and go by. They’re more worried about being on Sixth Street than, like, balling and making $50 million as crazy as hell. I don’t know why.

Ojomo went on to talk about how the culture change at Texas would happen and what needs to change in order for Texas to be “back.”

“Players have to make a stand, ” Ojomo said, “basically [say] ‘enough is enough’. 7-6 B.S. [at] Texas isn’t happening anymore. We have the ability. We have the talent. Get your mind right. We’re gonna go win.”

He’s right; there isn’t a good reason for Texas to have an 83-67 record since 2010. As profitable and recognizable as the Texas brand is, they have found a way to underachieve in nearly every year over the last decade and Ojomo is deadset on his class being the one that turns things around for the Longhorns.

Unfortunately for Ojomo, he may have been a bit brash for his head coach’s liking.  On Tuesday, Steve Sarkisian discussed his distaste with Ojomo’s comments and how things should’ve been handled differently.

"You know, culture is always challenging,” Sark said during media availability on Tuesday. “Culture is organic. I think that Moro [Ojomo] would be the first to tell you that he’d love to have some of the things he said back.

“We have to be careful to speak about everybody when maybe there’s an isolated one or two guys that are having issues. Preferably, I would like for our guys to speak about what they’re doing, what’s their buy-in, and be careful speaking on what others [are doing] and where they’re at.

“It’s a little disheartening that one guy makes a statement, and ll of a sudden we’ve got a team full of guys that like to do things outside of the program that we don’t adhere to, and that is unacceptable, but it was said and it was written, so, that’s okay. What we do internally, what we do in-house is more important to me.”

Sarkisian was then asked how he felt about Ojomo’s comments and his desire to have a player-led team.

“I thought the forum was really poor, he should not have done that in public. [With] a really good player-led team, those issues get taken care of in the locker room, get taken care of in the meeting room. If you’re really a family, you don’t go out and talk about family business. You take care of things internally.

“I think [Ojomo’s] intentions were right, but the delivery and the forum that it was used was poor. In the end, you have to make sure you mow your own lawn first. You gotta make sure your own house is in order first, before you start to discuss what somebody else is doing, or how they’re doing it.

Finally, Sarkisian was asked if he would discipline Ojomo for his comments, to which he answered quickly, “He won’t be talking to you guys for a while.”

From an outside perspective, I can see where both sides are coming from. Sure, Sarkisian doesn’t want the team’s dirty laundry out there for the world to see, but from Ojomo’s perspective it sounds like things behind the scenes still need to change. Either way, Ojomo was speaking from the heart about turning the Texas program around, and it’s hard to argue his logic.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Why Steve Sarkisian's reaction to Moro Ojomo's comments is a non-story

Tarik D. LaCour          April 12, 2022 5:52 pm CT

Last week, Texas defensive lineman Moro Ojomo made a number of comments about the current state and culture of the football program. Among other things he said, he mentioned that he was tired of losing and that players needed to take accountability for that to change.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, Ojomo went even further, calling out several players by name and saying what they need to do in order to improve. Fans and media loved it. At last, someone was saying what was wrong.

Not everyone was duly impressed. Among them was head coach Steve Sarkisian. While not disagreeing with what Ojomo said in principle, Sark made it quite clear that such problems should be addressed within the team and not externally. He also commented that Ojomo would not be allowed to speak to the media for some time.

Of course, because this is Texas, the national media began talking about the issue. Andy Staples summed it up well with this tweet:

To quote Luke Skywalker, every word of that is wrong.

Sark, as mentioned previously, did not disagree with what Ojomo said; he disagreed with how he said it. Going to the media and talking about issues (which they can see anyway, as Staples points out) does not help the team get better or produce more wins. It just gives the media more ammunition to write stories that are a distraction.

Ask yourself this question: If Alabama star Will Anderson had made similar comments to the media, what would Nick Saban have done? Answer: Exactly what Sark did. Sarkisian is trying to improve the program and limit the distractions, which any coach worth his salt would do. This is the definition of a non-story.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why Steve Sarkisian's reaction to Moro Ojomo's comments is a non-story

Tarik D. LaCour          April 12, 2022 5:52 pm CT

Last week, Texas defensive lineman Moro Ojomo made a number of comments about the current state and culture of the football program. Among other things he said, he mentioned that he was tired of losing and that players needed to take accountability for that to change.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, Ojomo went even further, calling out several players by name and saying what they need to do in order to improve. Fans and media loved it. At last, someone was saying what was wrong.

Not everyone was duly impressed. Among them was head coach Steve Sarkisian. While not disagreeing with what Ojomo said in principle, Sark made it quite clear that such problems should be addressed within the team and not externally. He also commented that Ojomo would not be allowed to speak to the media for some time.

Of course, because this is Texas, the national media began talking about the issue. Andy Staples summed it up well with this tweet:

To quote Luke Skywalker, every word of that is wrong.

Sark, as mentioned previously, did not disagree with what Ojomo said; he disagreed with how he said it. Going to the media and talking about issues (which they can see anyway, as Staples points out) does not help the team get better or produce more wins. It just gives the media more ammunition to write stories that are a distraction.

Ask yourself this question: If Alabama star Will Anderson had made similar comments to the media, what would Nick Saban have done? Answer: Exactly what Sark did. Sarkisian is trying to improve the program and limit the distractions, which any coach worth his salt would do. This is the definition of a non-story.

Wrong. Will Anderson wouldn't do this because those people would have already had their asses chewed so hard it would be pointless to tell the media about it. 

• Like 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic