2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

It's all well and good that we use this forum to laud Ewers and a few other players who seem to be standing out. Moar kuhlade, mighty fine.

At this point, it's looking 100% for Card in the portal, unknown when, but not whether. Concomitantly, surly appears to be spending 100% (close enough) of its posting about QB on denigration of Card and crying for a backup from the portal, even while we have several on the squad right now. Card shows as better than anyone but Ewers, but that is because Sark likes his throws, and that is because he, Sark, is discounting Card's proclivity for skipping  open reads and dawdling around the pocket until he gets sacked, or throws a pick... and then going catatonic the next possession. 

I'm hoping we see Maalik move up to QB2, with mostly the same playbook as Ewers,  but with an addition of Marion's go-go book, featuring RPO/TripleOption. Maalik is a fascinating prospect, closer to Blessed Vince than to the 18-Wheeler. At least, he appears to put his 6'5" 225 # frame to good use as an actual run threat that D's absolutely must account for. I think, were I in Sark's position there, I'd be looking at Maalik for the backup role. Maalik is not the passer Ewers is, but he's a much better runner, less likely to get injured, changes the opponents' D (or iff they don't change, shreds that D).

A QB2 like that is literally a game-changer, as many are, but not many in such a good way.

Have you actually watched Maalik? 

On 4/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The one wild card with Sarkisian and his prior record is that he was descending/fully descended into alcoholism.

I guess normies think you just quit drinking and pick up right where you left off and you immediately improve everything because you aren't face-down-in-the-gutter all the time. It's not quite that simple. Sure, there's immediate improvement in everything just because you aren't fuckfaced all that time, but past the first six months or so, it becomes more of a grind, and that tends to be when relapses happen.  It takes a few years of sobriety, and working a program of recovery, to start to realize full potential. 

It's no guarantee that he'll fix everything that ails us, but based on his length of sobriety, Sarkisian has a lot of room to grow as a head coach, way beyond what he did at UW and SC, where the booze was definitely holding him back.  And, maybe his full potential is as something other than a HFC.  And maybe he relapses.  But there's a decent chance that he becomes a really good HFC in the next few years.

How do you know how long he's been sober?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Swoopes had arm talent. He had a big arm. He just didn’t know where it was going. 

I will never forget the first time he lined up in the 18 wheeler formation during the ND game and he launched a 70 yard bomb out of the back of the end zone. He was the definition of a scud missile.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bahaha this is incredible. The mix of utter stupidity and unintentional racism is truly exceptional, even for the Football board. 

what is the sign at the Store in Study Butte?.......something like....This is the place where brilliant minds pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to form absurd conclusions......

Sounds like Surly to me....

Bobby:

Following Saturday’s scrimmage where, by multiple accounts, quarterback Quinn Ewers had his best live-bullet performance of the spring and clearly outplayed Hudson Card, I received a few texts from some onlookers.

The one that I felt spoke best to the situation - the ongoing QB battle between Ewers and Card?

“If [Ewers] can just master the mundane, he’s going to be outstanding,” one source wrote via text.

But Ewers is still not there. Not yet at least.

While I feel there’s good reason to be excited about Saturday’s scrimmage not only for Ewers but for the potential he brings for unlocking Sark’s offense and all those skill position weapons at the Horns’ disposal, I also think anointing Ewers right now is still putting the cart well before the horse.

A few tantalizing throws are not the same as getting a team into the right plays or checking down to avoid eating the ball on a pass rush. There is still the “mundane” that Ewers needs to prove adept at.

Now, I’m not saying that Card is necessarily better than Ewers in all of those facets of the game. But I am told Card still knows the offense better and is still improving his own game. Although I think it’s also now just as clear that Card’s top-end ability just may not be on the same level as Ewers. If anything, that’s what Saturday showed.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

Following Saturday’s scrimmage where, by multiple accounts, quarterback Quinn Ewers had his best live-bullet performance of the spring and clearly outplayed Hudson Card, I received a few texts from some onlookers.

The one that I felt spoke best to the situation - the ongoing QB battle between Ewers and Card?

“If [Ewers] can just master the mundane, he’s going to be outstanding,” one source wrote via text.

But Ewers is still not there. Not yet at least.

While I feel there’s good reason to be excited about Saturday’s scrimmage not only for Ewers but for the potential he brings for unlocking Sark’s offense and all those skill position weapons at the Horns’ disposal, I also think anointing Ewers right now is still putting the cart well before the horse.

A few tantalizing throws are not the same as getting a team into the right plays or checking down to avoid eating the ball on a pass rush. There is still the “mundane” that Ewers needs to prove adept at.

Now, I’m not saying that Card is necessarily better than Ewers in all of those facets of the game. But I am told Card still knows the offense better and is still improving his own game. Although I think it’s also now just as clear that Card’s top-end ability just may not be on the same level as Ewers. If anything, that’s what Saturday showed.

lol, that's a lot of words to say "I'm sorry, Mr Card, but Quinn is the goods."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maalik Murphy reminds me of Matt Ryan.

Also, Wells thinks KRob was held back last year by being new to Texas and needing to learn the playbook. Wtf? I'm pretty sure he was the only one with prior knowledge in that department.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gaffords said:

It would've been interesting to see who would've been the top prospect between him and Ewers if Maalik was every bit as polished as Ewers.  I doubt either would've gotten the 1.000 rating.   

Umm.. Ewers did get the 1.000 rating. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

And clearly Card has mastered those skills

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Maalik Murphy reminds me of Matt Ryan.

Also, Wells thinks KRob was held back last year by being new to Texas and needing to learn the playbook. Wtf? I'm pretty sure he was the only one with prior knowledge in that department.

I think he also said something about him moving from Tuscaloosa to Austin was a big change (shocker)

10 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Maalik's arm might actually be a hair stronger than Ewers. Now his touch on the ball is better.  He is capable of making all the same throws with a better delivery.   He placed higher than Ewers at the Elite 11 and was the one player that had the coaching staff buzzing.

The only thing missing 8s his development...  And that is only because he didn't go to one of California's football factories.  It wasn't from the lack of those coaches or media trying to convince him to transfer into their districts, but he refused to abandon his teammates.   They weren't really considered championship contenders, but he carried them to one.   

It would've been interesting to see who would've been the top prospect between him and Ewers if Maalik was every bit as polished as Ewers.  I doubt either would've gotten the 1.000 rating.   

Nice thing about having him is that he is hungry to learn and according to those who have worked with him, he is extremely coachable.  Bright kid, hard worker, good personality that tends to mesh well with anyone's and everyone's. A natural leader, who does it by example that others follow, mainly because they find him so likeable. ~different coaches~  

As long as his development isn't neglected, he has all the tools to step in after Ewers 2 here and us not miss a beat (if we whiff on Arch). 

And he hurdles a dude (an upright, would be tackler) during their State Championship game.  

This is some wild revisionism right here. Maalik probably does have a stronger arm, but he struggles with accuracy more because he has heavy feet and a delivery that’s too long right now. He’ll need time to fix that stuff and it will take time. Saying Maalik has more touch and a better delivery is just flat out wrong. 

And while Maalik didn’t go to a powerhouse program, he’s had a ton of private training since as early as the 5th grade. He’s had very high level QB training for most of his life. He’s not some small town kid whose never received high level training, so it’s a pretty big assumption that he can fix all his issues and become as polished as Ewers. There are plenty of QBs with a huge frame and a massive arm that can never refine other parts of their game. 

Having said that, he was a good take and a perfect guy to come with Ewers so he can develop over time, but some of y’all really need to work on keeping things in perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 8

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic