2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

TEAM

If you look closely you can see a team developing where the pieces to develop are in place -- that's mainly at positions that are still young or inexperienced, but also talented. Wide receiver, linebacker, and the secondary come to mind.

Early signs are already encouraging in the secondary, but given the amount of competition going on, they'll only continue to improve. With Kitan Crawford looking good early at field safety, the staff will look at JD Coffey at boundary to compete with Anthony Cook.

It's not there yet, but the secondary is close to having a viable two-deep.

On the flip side, the ability to develop along the lines is somewhat stunted. Texas went very big on the O-line and D-line in recruiting for a reason. Unfortunately, many of those key pieces aren't on campus yet. That ties into issues we continue to hear about edge play and the offense's inability to get the run game going.

Along those lines, Inside Texas talked to a source about the offensive line and what it means for next season. Essentially he said Texas is going to have to become more varied on offense. They need more intermediate passing game / option routes. They have the receivers to be dangerous at all three levels and need to get those guys in space. They won’t have the O-line to run it then throw it over the top, even with Bijan. They’re a year away from having the OL to do that. The young linemen will play and get better throughout the season but you can’t expect to start off the season dictating a play-action offense.

How Texas starts the season and finishes the season was a topic with a Big 12 source, one that does not want to see Texas succeed. This source thinks the Big 12 will come down to Baylor and Texas. He sees those two schools, albeit in a down conference, as a cut above. That's quite interesting if you look at the schedule, given UT and Baylor play the last game of the season. The source continued it would be best to get Texas early in the season.

The tier 2 teams were seen as Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Kansas State.

keeping shit internally has worked out like shit for the last decade. leadership can take many forms. if calling out mofos who are coasting is what's needed, then hop on board. if they don't like, then don't motherfucking coast. don't like being called out for being selfish, don't be motherfucking selfish. don't want your name publicly called out by fellow players, quit being a motherfucking shithead.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I get the whole new qb koolaid, but considering Texas a "tier 1 team" in the big 12 and OU and Ok St tier 2, a year after which Texas didn't even make a bowl game and lost to both teams is a bit silly. 

Its early to look up, but didnt OSU lose most of their defense? 

29 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I get the whole new qb koolaid, but considering Texas a "tier 1 team" in the big 12 and OU and Ok St tier 2, a year after which Texas didn't even make a bowl game and lost to both teams is a bit silly. 

Especially considering a good chunk of that write up was about how our OL is going to suck and our offensive game-plans will have to account for that all season. 

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

How Texas starts the season and finishes the season was a topic with a Big 12 source, one that does not want to see Texas succeed. This source thinks the Big 12 will come down to Baylor and Texas. He sees those two schools, albeit in a down conference, as a cut above. That's quite interesting if you look at the schedule, given UT and Baylor play the last game of the season. The source continued it would be best to get Texas early in the season.  The tier 2 teams were seen as Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Kansas State.

This reads like someone from okie lite or blOU is the source -- just trying to put more propaganda and pressure out there on the Longhorns.

Most folks expect baylor, okie lite and blOU to probably be the 3 teams fighting it out for the 2022 B12 Championship...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Each to there own, but honestly a senior that may not start telling me how to work doesnt carry the same weight as a Junior that is a sure fire day one pick telling me how to work. 

Are you suggesting there is a sure fire day one pick Junior on the team?  Or that only sure fire day one picks have the right to call out teammate work ethic?

2 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Are you suggesting there is a sure fire day one pick Junior on the team?  Or that only sure fire day one picks have the right to call out teammate work ethic?

I guess its up to you to convince us why Bijan isn't a day one pick.

4 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

I think its fair to say Bijan is a sure fire day 1 pick baring injury, feel free to argue with that. I am saying if you play like a jag, I dont think your words carry much weight. 

Edited by Codaxx

47 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

because *nothing* has changed with OU on a player, coach, system level at all...right? and OK State lost their DC and one of the most experienced defenses in CFB last year

the last time OU didn't have a smooth handoff was John Blake to Stoops in 99. let's see how well they handle it this time (and the massive outflow of talent through portal + recruiting class)

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think its fair to say Bijan is a sure fire day 1 pick baring injury, feel free to argue with that. I am saying if you play like a jag, I dont think your words carry much weight. 

Fine I should have specified on the defense, I don't think an RB no matter how impressive will have much to say to a DL or DE about how to go about their jobs.  Or do you think he should be yelling at his OL?  An RB ain't shit by himself and Bijan is smart enough to know that.

Every guy on the DL and OL is playing like a jag because they're not holding each other accountable to the standard of a championship unit.  Bo Davis and Kyle Flood likely do not disagree

• Hook 'Em 1

So a senior, good head on his shoulders, calls out a team full of players that lost to Kansas and somehow it turns into he should tell them to their face that they are entitled pussies who need to take the next step and play like they belong at Texas. I’m sure he’s never had that talk with any of them prior to this rant. I personally think it was awesome and I bet some of them finally wake up and for those that don’t…well fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

because *nothing* has changed with OU on a player, coach, system level at all...right? and OK State lost their DC and one of the most experienced defenses in CFB last year

the last time OU didn't have a smooth handoff was John Blake to Stoops in 99. let's see how well they handle it this time (and the massive outflow of talent through portal + recruiting class)

I dont have a problem with discounting OU and OkSt given the questions for each after changes in personnel and coaches, but to say that Texas is somehow without some of those same issues is dumb. 

It’s sad that as sports fans we’re programmed to receive nothing but non substantive platitudes, so people get upset when a player actually gives honest answers to the press. 

Regardless of how effective a leadership tactic this is, I’m at least grateful he gave his real opinions about players, and the team’s ability to win. There needs to be more of this in sports 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Shon Mitchell was a much more polished and better RB than K Rob. Just stop

Was he? But go ahead and quote me how Mitchell had over 1,000 yards more than Robinson has to date. Almost 200 yards were against 1995 SMU. Another 100+ was when we scored 71 versus OSU. He played Rice once. 14-44. Pretty sure his best year was against SWC defenses. Wow.

I do/did like Mitchell. FYI, my comment had some lighthearted intent. As was my original post. At the same time, it’s certainly consideration for being reasonable. When your top 4 rushers average 5.8 or better, with a supposedly a terrible Oline then the backs must be doing something good.

Robinson was recruited by current day Alabama. That says something. If you think Mitchell would, then ok.

Perhaps Mitchell’s best attribute was his speed/quickness. Robinson’s best attribute is his speed. I would put money on Robinson to be faster.

Mitchell’s role, if he were on this team, would be similar to Robinsons. He’s not taking carries from Bijan and probably not Roschon. In that role, yes, I’d take Keilan.

Keilan is our #3 back that largely serves a role. He is as talented as anyone we’ve had for that role except for maybe a Ramonce Taylor.

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s sad that as sports fans we’re programmed to receive nothing but non substantive platitudes, so people get upset when a player actually gives honest answers to the press.  Regardless of how effective a leadership tactic this is, I’m at least grateful he gave his real opinions about players, and the team’s ability to win. There needs to be more of this in sports 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

So a senior, good head on his shoulders, calls out a team full of players that lost to Kansas and somehow it turns into he should tell them to their face that they are entitled pussies who need to take the next step and play like they belong at Texas. I’m sure he’s never had that talk with any of them prior to this rant. I personally think it was awesome and I bet some of them finally wake up and for those that don’t…well fuck them. 

I think the issue is his lack of production. On field performance has been as mediocre as the rest of the scrubs he calls out. He had like 3 tackles for loss and zero sacks last year.  Meanwhile Perrin Winfrey at OU put up 11 TFLs and 5.5 sacks.

Edited by 6th Street

11 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s sad that as sports fans we’re programmed to receive nothing but non substantive platitudes, so people get upset when a player actually gives honest answers to the press. 

Regardless of how effective a leadership tactic this is, I’m at least grateful he gave his real opinions about players, and the team’s ability to win. There needs to be more of this in sports 

I am not sure anyone is upset about what he said, outside of perhaps some teammates 

32 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Was he? But go ahead and quote me how Mitchell had over 1,000 yards more than Robinson has to date. Almost 200 yards were against 1995 SMU. Another 100+ was when we scored 71 versus OSU. He played Rice once. 14-44. Pretty sure his best year was against SWC defenses. Wow.

I do/did like Mitchell. FYI, my comment had some lighthearted intent. As was my original post. At the same time, it’s certainly consideration for being reasonable. When your top 4 rushers average 5.8 or better, with a supposedly a terrible Oline then the backs must be doing something good.

Robinson was recruited by current day Alabama. That says something. If you think Mitchell would, then ok.

Perhaps Mitchell’s best attribute was his speed/quickness. Robinson’s best attribute is his speed. I would put money on Robinson to be faster.

Mitchell’s role, if he were on this team, would be similar to Robinsons. He’s not taking carries from Bijan and probably not Roschon. In that role, yes, I’d take Keilan.

Keilan is our #3 back that largely serves a role. He is as talented as anyone we’ve had for that role except for maybe a Ramonce Taylor.

Yes. 100%.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think the issue is his lack of production. On field performance has been as mediocre as the rest of the scrubs he calls out. He had like 3 tackles for loss and zero sacks last year.  Meanwhile Perrin Winfrey at OU put up 11 TFLs and 5.5 sacks.

Oh I see, Ojomo should refer to the defensive/offensive players who put up the monster stats. Bold strategy cotton. Let’s see how that has worked out, checks notes, since 2010 we have sucked shit through a straw and our stat monsters were all morons. The Acho brothers, case McCoy, Dylan Haines lol, swoopes, that numb nuts foreman, Malik, fucking hager, deshon Elliot, Holton hill, omenihu, Kris boyd, sterns and foster. There’s a trend here that’s alarming. You don’t want any of those guys leading a group to restart a culture. Fuck their stats. 

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Oh I see, Ojomo should refer to the defensive/offensive players who put up the monster stats. Bold strategy cotton. Let’s see how that has worked out, checks notes, since 2010 we have sucked shit through a straw and our stat monsters were all morons. The Acho brothers, case McCoy, Dylan Haines lol, swoopes, that numb nuts foreman, Malik, fucking hager, deshon Elliot, Holton hill, omenihu, Kris boyd, sterns and foster. There’s a trend here that’s alarming. You don’t want any of those guys leading a group to restart a culture. Fuck their stats. 

That is the point. Even Sark said that during the year. That their were guys talking, but he was not sure they should be. It is 100% part of the issue. It would nice to have a VY on campus. I would love to have a guys Studdard and Sendlein that did their jobs and would kick your ass in the locker room. I just think its ballsy to call out OTs and DEs, when you dont have a single sack. Personally, if an average to below average co-worker told me how to do my job, I would laugh in his face. Been a long time since TExas has had productive guys that were out-spoken leaders. Seems lately Texas has one or the other. I hope it works, I just have my doubts his words are going to inspire people. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Nobody is going to listen to a JAG like Ojomo who can't back up his talk with production on the field.

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Nobody is going to listen to a JAG like Ojomo who can't back up his talk with production on the field.

Dam I guess the players are a reflection of the fan base.  Coddled man babies.  If you aren't willing to accept the truth no matter who is giving it then that's a reflection on you and explains why we stick shit through a straw.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

keeping shit internally has worked out like shit for the last decade. leadership can take many forms. if calling out mofos who are coasting is what's needed, then hop on board. if they don't like, then don't motherfucking coast. don't like being called out for being selfish, don't be motherfucking selfish. don't want your name publicly called out by fellow players, quit being a motherfucking shithead.

death-stare-black-snake-moan.gif

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Dam I guess the players are a reflection of the fan base.  Coddled man babies.  If you aren't willing to accept the truth no matter who is giving it then that's a reflection on you and explains why we stick shit through a straw.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just because a guy doesn't produce doesn't mean he doesn't work hard or play his ass off or take shit seriously. If you tally 8 sacks on the season but could have had 12 you're just as much a part of the problem as anyone else. 

How many guys - especially on D - have we seen underperform year after year? If a less talented guy tells you you need to work harder and quit dicking around and he's right - then what the fuck does it matter how good he is on gameday? You need JJ Watt or LT to come slap you upside the head before you listen? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Everyone is also operating under the assumption that he hasn't said this privately. He probably has, and it hasn't worked out, so hes going this route on his way out. I love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Ojomo was the only good starter on the defensive front last year.  He's arguably the best returning player on defense.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Ojomo was the only good starter on the defensive front last year.  He's arguably the best returning player on defense.

Ojomo sucks and the players he criticized all suck. What he said can't possibly have a negative impact on the team because the criticized players couldn't possibly play worse. It is surreal that we are in the portal era and Sark thinks it is fine to start 5 of the worst o-linemen in the history of our program. Hopefully, after we get humiliated in Lubbock, we'll roll out the freshmen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

46 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Ojomo sucks and the players he criticized all suck. What he said can't possibly have a negative impact on the team because the criticized players couldn't possibly play worse. It is surreal that we are in the portal era and Sark thinks it is fine to start 5 of the worst o-linemen in the history of our program. Hopefully, after we get humiliated in Lubbock, we'll roll out the freshmen. 

Jesus, take a midol and walk away. Aren’t you the poster that wanted to fix the OT problem by getting the guard from Vanderbilt? That was pure genius. I can imagine anyone who has watched Texas the last decade saying the 2021 OL was the worst in history. That is one of the dumbest post on I have seen on Surly, which I a serious accomplishment 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, GTNY said:

Everyone is also operating under the assumption that he hasn't said this privately. He probably has, and it hasn't worked out, so hes going this route on his way out. I love it. 

Haha the part where I said “I’m sure he’s never had this talk with any of them personally” was sarcasm. I agree with you 100%. I’m sure he’s talked shit to them about their work ethic, priorities and maturity. This is just a culmination of him watching talented athletes waste their opportunities and being sick of it. I like the kid whether or not he stuffs the stat sheet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Jesus, take a midol and walk away. Aren’t you the poster that wanted to fix the OT problem by getting the guard from Vanderbilt? That was pure genius. I can imagine anyone who has watched Texas the last decade saying the 2021 OL was the worst in history. That is one of the dumbest post on I have seen on Surly, which I a serious accomplishment 

You edited your post and it still reads like someone who majored in English at Texas Tech. Congratulations. As for the G from Vandy, or any option we could get from anywhere, I would embrace any short term change that keeps us from starting 4 of the 5 from last year. Unlike you and Sark, I don't have a psychotic devotion to losing.

32 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You edited your post and it still reads like someone who majored in English at Texas Tech. Congratulations. As for the G from Vandy, or any option we could get from anywhere, I would embrace any short term change that keeps us from starting 4 of the 5 from last year. Unlike you and Sark, I don't have a psychotic devotion to losing.

Cool. If you are into grammar on a sports board that tells me all I need to know about you and your station in life. Guard is not a problem. Unfortunately, I do not think critical thinking is one of your strengths. You want to bitch, moan, and bring in 22 players from the portal. That is just moronic. A portal player that doesn’t work not only robs the current year, but also hurts the future. I find it interesting you don’t like Sark and think he will be gone in a year or 2, but you want him to mortgage the future for today. I love that you think an OL with no QB that finished 2nd in rushing in the league is the worst OL ever at Texas. Feel free to tell me what makes this OL, which sadly is one of the better Texas OLs over the last decade, is the worst ever 

Edited by Codaxx

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic