2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Cool. If you are into grammar on a sports board that tells me all I need to know about you and your station in life. Guard is not a problem. Unfortunately, I do not think critical thinking is one of your strengths. You want to bitch, moan, and bring in 22 players from the portal. That is just moronic. A portal player that doesn’t work not only robs the current year, but also hurts the future. I find it interesting you don’t like Sark and think he will be gone in a year or 2, but you want him to mortgage the future for today. I love that you think an OL with no QB that finished 2nd in rushing in the league is the worst OL ever at Texas. Feel free to tell me what makes this OL, which sadly is one of the better Texas OLs over the last decade, is the worst ever 

I dunno, I feel like a username that contains "KFC" should tell you more about ones station in life

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Cool. If you are into grammar on a sports board that tells me all I need to know about you and your station in life. Guard is not a problem. Unfortunately, I do not think critical thinking is one of your strengths. You want to bitch, moan, and bring in 22 players from the portal. That is just moronic. A portal player that doesn’t work not only robs the current year, but also hurts the future. I find it interesting you don’t like Sark and think he will be gone in a year or 2, but you want him to mortgage the future for today. I love that you think an OL with no QB that finished 2nd in rushing in the league is the worst OL ever at Texas. Feel free to tell me what makes this OL, which sadly is one of the better Texas OLs over the last decade, is the worst ever 

If you don't care about grammar then why is every post you ever make edited? I don't want to add 22 players from the portal. I don't want to mortgage the future. We could add 2 players for one season and it wouldn't be the Apocalypse. You're right, I don't like Sark. He is ideologically aligned with your bizarre lust for starting incompetent players. It will cost him his job.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:07 PM, Eggo said:

God damnit if we can't win a conference championship with Quinn Ewers, Bijan Robinson, Isaiah Neyor, Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington, and Ja'Tavion Sanders on offense, we may never. 

*Note: joke post not to be taken seriously

We can always cheat. We’ve got the money to do it.  

23 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If you don't care about grammar then why is every post you ever make edited? I don't want to add 22 players from the portal. I don't want to mortgage the future. We could add 2 players for one season and it wouldn't be the Apocalypse. You're right, I don't like Sark. He is ideologically aligned with your bizarre lust for starting incompetent players. It will cost him his job.

That just is not true. I have said the TCU kid might be the most important recruit for the 2022 season. I have also said Texas should attempt to find a LT to bridge the transition to the recruits. I was quite vocal in the need to bring a new QB.  I just don’t look at the portal as the Panacea to cure all that ills Texas. I also don’t think Texas will be competing at the highest levels this year, so I am more concerned with recruiting and developing. The talent level needs to be upgraded for the future, if Texas is going to compete in the SEC. I try to acknowledge positives and negatives. Mostly it is the spring and whining now serves no purpose. You incessantly whine about an offense that was 25th in points per possession. I believe finished around 30 in OFEI. As previously stated finished 2nd in rushing yards per game in the Bug 12. That isn’t done with one of the worst OLs in the history of Texas. The defense finished 95th in points per drive. That should tell you the greatest concern is on the defensive side. That is where the greatest improvement can be made 

Edited by Codaxx

9 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Nobody is going to listen to a JAG like Ojomo who can't back up his talk with production on the field.

Listen to this guy. He’s been ignored his entire life.

7 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Ojomo sucks and the players he criticized all suck. What he said can't possibly have a negative impact on the team because the criticized players couldn't possibly play worse. It is surreal that we are in the portal era and Sark thinks it is fine to start 5 of the worst o-linemen in the history of our program. Hopefully, after we get humiliated in Lubbock, we'll roll out the freshmen. 

You’re a miserable SOB.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

We gave up 57 points to Kansas and a 3rd string QB at home.

People don't realize how bad this team really is. It's bad bad, they over perform because of some really elite skill players and a coach who can get those players open for explosive plays. If they shut down explosive this team is weak as fuck. Basically we have to have rojo put the team on his back (or bijan in the case of TCU) to win grindy games. 

This team for the most part lost 6 games in a row. The upgrades we got are good, but weren't where we needed them. If the freshman step up (unlikely) and show they are difference makers early, then maybe there is some hope. 

That is not to say that they can't win 8-9 games this year, it will just be like Texas tech circa Mike Leach. Those teams were trash (but better olines) and won games based on pure scheme and skill players. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

People don't realize how bad this team really is. It's bad bad, they over perform because of some really elite skill players and a coach who can get those players open for explosive plays. If they shut down explosive this team is weak as fuck. Basically we have to have rojo put the team on his back (or bijan in the case of TCU) to win grindy games. 

This team for the most part lost 6 games in a row. The upgrades we got are good, but weren't where we needed them. If the freshman step up (unlikely) and show they are difference makers early, then maybe there is some hope. 

That is not to say that they can't win 8-9 games this year, it will just be like Texas tech circa Mike Leach. Those teams were trash (but better olines) and won games based on pure scheme and skill players. 

We addressed roughly half of our weaknesses. We are better at QB, wide receiver, tight end and defensive back. We are equal or worse at o-line, linebacker, and defensive end. If we get Mathis, we will be fine at defensive end. An offensive tackle (preferably left tackle) and linebacker would fill our deficiencies and make us an actually good team. Without them, most teams can pick on our weak spots and kill our game plan. We aren't that far away and if the coaches saw what is obvious to some casual observers, we wouldn't have to fucking talk about next year.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Don’t disagree with any of that. We will have to win games 50-47 or 42-38. It can be done, but margin for error becomes slimmer when you are one dimensional.

My comment was mainly directed at the people who have been so beaten down by battered fan syndrome that they fly in here making comments like “Well we didn’t address our biggest weakness the OL so I’m expecting 4-8” like that was the only thing holding this team back. This team had about 8 biggest weaknesses heading into the offseason. Position groups took turns shitting the bed between the weeks where we couldn’t tackle, couldn’t cover, couldn’t set the edge, couldn’t block, couldn’t complete a forward pass or sometimes couldn’t catch a forward pass. 

Almost much all the issues were addressed in some way, shape or form. We will see if there is any improvement starting in September. Just frustrates the hell out of me when people waltz in here acting like if we just addressed this one area or one thing, they would be drinking the kool aid. This team is and was littered with weaknesses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Without them, most teams can pick on our weak spots and kill our game plan.

Well the bright spot is we had all those weaknesses last year, teams picked weak spots in our game plans and we still should have won 8 games if it wasn’t for just complete meltdowns (most of them self inflicted).

• Hook 'Em 2

If we have ANY Defense, we can win 10. 

Last year we had --f-ns- meaning nothing close to D at any of the 3 levels.

Yes, the OL was ass in pass pro, but we could get enough points to win (until the thumb went bad...)

We couldn't stop JV offenses.

PK needs to figure out his shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

Big 12 champs, Ion give a fuck about the bama raping. Quinn with Neyor and Worthy is magical. Bijan goes for 1200. The defense trips and falls into some big plays. CTJ promptly turns heel on sark and says he knew it all along. Haha. Put your ovaries on the table or as inVINCEible use to say, let your nuts hang out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Big 12 champs, Ion give a fuck about the bama raping. Quinn with Neyor and Worthy is magical. Bijan goes for 1200. The defense trips and falls into some big plays. CTJ promptly turns heel on sark and says he knew it all along. Haha. Put your ovaries on the table or as inVINCEible use to say, let your nuts hang out. 

Drunk before 10am on a Saturday. I like your style, man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What I'm about to say is incredibly aggy-like and I'm embarrassed that I'm even going to type this shit out but it is, unfortunately, the way I feel...

I will honestly just be happy if we could beat OU and Baylor and make it to a measly bowl that means absolutely nothing. After last year, that would be an improvement and if we can't beat OU after they lose their entire coaching staff and a big chunk of their team then things do not bode well for our short or long-term future. Of course, if we do beat OU, it'll just be a "congrats you beat a shell of a team" type of thing but still.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

What I'm about to say is incredibly aggy-like and I'm embarrassed that I'm even going to type this shit out but it is, unfortunately, the way I feel...

I will honestly just be happy if we could beat OU and Baylor and make it to a measly bowl that means absolutely nothing. After last year, that would be an improvement and if we can't beat OU after they lose their entire coaching staff and a big chunk of their team then things do not bode well for our short or long-term future. Of course, if we do beat OU, it'll just be a "congrats you beat a shell of a team" type of thing but still.

It would be an improvement if we could just get by Kansas

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s sad that as sports fans we’re programmed to receive nothing but non substantive platitudes, so people get upset when a player actually gives honest answers to the press. 

Regardless of how effective a leadership tactic this is, I’m at least grateful he gave his real opinions about players, and the team’s ability to win. There needs to be more of this in sports 

It's the effect of the 9.95 poison and coaching staffs using them to manipulate public opinion but at times to their own detriment when the product isn't as quality as the expectations. 

Last off season there was none of this from the 9.95 "sources". Not even anonymously. The season itself was proof the room was dysfunctional and large swaths of the team weren't on the winning at all costs mindset and path. You don't lose 6 in a row with that schedule and the level they demonstrated they are capable of playing at if everyone is bought in.

But I suspect the staff fed the 9.95s with BS to cover and give themselves time and instead should have thought about using them to blast some position groups that weren't on task to use as motivation. But you have to feel you're capable as a staff of correcting their issues and winning during the season if you do that otherwise the risk is you begin to take on an inept reputation with the fan base quickly. 

I'm guessing that risk is why we don't see any of these staffs here doing that. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We gave up 57 points to Kansas and a 3rd string QB at home.

I agree but we have a ton of horrific areas so I guess I should have said one of the most glaring needs is OL. True freshman are great for the next 2-3 years but not next year. Defense sucks and hopefully we don’t trot out the same group of guys or it will be rinse, repeat.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t disagree with any of that. We will have to win games 50-47 or 42-38. It can be done, but margin for error becomes slimmer when you are one dimensional.

My comment was mainly directed at the people who have been so beaten down by battered fan syndrome that they fly in here making comments like “Well we didn’t address our biggest weakness the OL so I’m expecting 4-8” like that was the only thing holding this team back. This team had about 8 biggest weaknesses heading into the offseason. Position groups took turns shitting the bed between the weeks where we couldn’t tackle, couldn’t cover, couldn’t set the edge, couldn’t block, couldn’t complete a forward pass or sometimes couldn’t catch a forward pass. 

Almost much all the issues were addressed in some way, shape or form. We will see if there is any improvement starting in September. Just frustrates the hell out of me when people waltz in here acting like if we just addressed this one area or one thing, they would be drinking the kool aid. This team is and was littered with weaknesses.

OL is the foundation of every offense. I think everyone realizes we have a shit ton of issues, OL and DL have to be good for both units to succeed. DL that can’t get any pressure is why our defense sucked and it exposed how bad the rest of the defense was. I’m glad we addressed wr and not the two up front units that make everything move. We aren’t winning shit without a good OL and DL. Just my opinion. Apparently anyone that “waltz’s” in here without your self proclaimed superiority in understanding football just drives you crazy. Must be tough being the smartest guy on the board dealing with all us dummies. Sorry bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, Enchubben said:

I get the whole new qb koolaid, but considering Texas a "tier 1 team" in the big 12 and OU and Ok St tier 2, a year after which Texas didn't even make a bowl game and lost to both teams is a bit silly. 

Half the Big 12 either has new coaching staffs or are starting at bare cupboards...  Texas is running the same scheme ( not real sure it's a good thing yet) on both sides of the ball, two year in a row.  That hasn't happened for most of the players on the team.  That has to help...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

OL is the foundation of every offense. I think everyone realizes we have a shit ton of issues, OL and DL have to be good for both units to succeed. DL that can’t get any pressure is why our defense sucked and it exposed how bad the rest of the defense was. I’m glad we addressed wr and not the two up front units that make everything move. We aren’t winning shit without a good OL and DL. Just my opinion. Apparently anyone that “waltz’s” in here without your self proclaimed superiority in understanding football just drives you crazy. Must be tough being the smartest guy on the board dealing with all us dummies. Sorry bro.

It's not just your opinion. Seems obvious that based on the way they recruited that the coaches see it that way too, as does just about everyone who knows a teensy amount about football. Shock and awe and blitzkriegs are cool I guess but if you want to really win a war, you've got to have infantry that do the dirty work.

11 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

It's not just your opinion. Seems obvious that based on the way they recruited that the coaches see it that way too, as does just about everyone who knows a teensy amount about football. Shock and awe and blitzkriegs are cool I guess but if you want to really win a war, you've got to have infantry that do the dirty work.

Yea true freshman are great for the future but a couple of portal OL or grad transfers(hopefully we get at least 1 by fall) would help this upcoming season. 

17 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Speaking of coaches... If we have any team (especially OU) doing a head stand in a porta-potty and there is even a hint of letting them come up for air before the end of the fourth, a coach or two needs to be canned on the 50 immediately.  

I get that we have crappy O linemen. However, I have to believe that with decent coaching even crappy O linemen ought to be able to act in concert to somewhat disrupt the defense. Last year every play looked like we had drawn in up in the dirt in the huddle and "sprung" assignments on the Oline. For that reason alone I think we might be a bit better. Surely in 2 years our vaunted coaching staff might be able to teach some basic skills.....

Jesus!.....what was I thinking?Our Line?....skills?....Doom!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Won't stop me from getting blackout drunk at the fair and puking all over a fat sooner who is unfortunate enough to be underneath me on the ferris wheel after I flipped off his grandma in the parking lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Texas Longhorns Football team is two weeks away from the annual Orange-White Springe Game and Steve Sarkisian's squad just completed an action-packed scrimmage less than an hour ago. Horns 247 spoke with a number of sources on-site for Saturday's scrimmage to get their take on the day's events.

—The consensus from all of the sources we spoke with was that Quinn Ewers was the MVP of the day. The Southlake Carroll product was spraying the ball vertically and horizontally across the field, including a 50+ yard TD to Xavier Worthy, A red zone TD to Jahleel Billingsley, another TD to Jordan Whittington on an orbit motion RPO, and a freaky sidearm throw to Ja'Tavion Sanders that reminded one source in attendance of Ewers' APEC training mate Patrick Mahomes.

Ewers started the day with the twos and rotated between the first and second team with Hudson Card throughout the scrimmage. While all of the sources we spoke to felt Quinn Ewers was better on the day, they made it clear that Hudson Card looks improved in his own right with the highlight of his day being a well-placed ball to Bijan Robinson on a wheel route against David Gbenda who was in great coverage.

—"I'd describe the passing attack as RPO and play-action heavy that attacked all levels of the field. I worry about how ball fake heavy they are considering the lack of push from the OL, but the run game seemed to get better as the scrimmage progressed."

—The offense ran a lot more 12 personnel today than the last scrimmage with Ja'Tavion Sanders working inline while Jahleel Billingsley worked at H in more flexed out looks. Both tight ends moved across formations and had big days, it seemed the staff was making it a priority to get both Sanders and Billingsley targets including in the screen game. One HS head coach in attendance felt like Sanders was one of the three best players on the day and another mentioned it was good to see the former Denton Ryan five-star stay consistent after a great practice last Saturday.

—"The offense struggled to run the ball at first but got better as the day went along. I thought Hayden Conner had a good day and he even worked some at left tackle. Bijan, Keilan Robinson, and Roschon all had good days but the defense just seems to consistently win in the run game against the 1st team O. I thought they looked a lot better in pass protection though, a ton of play-action and RPO concepts that they held up well on."

—One of the scrimmage periods was working situational 3rd downs and Jordan Whittington remained the reliable target for both QBs that he's been all spring. One source felt that J-Whitt did enough to share MVP honors with Ewers on the day. Casey Cain had another solid day and Kelvontay "Moochie" Dixon responded well after a tough scrimmage last week including a long catch and run on a dart from Hudson Card. Isaiah Neyor was quiet on the day after a monster showing last week, but still looked good with a few catches on a relatively light workload.

—Keilan Robinson was a big factor on the day and had a nice 10 yard touchdown run on inside zone towards the end of the scrimmage. Robinson and the other RBs featured heavily in the passing game and we were told Roschon Johnson notched a big gain on a screen.

—Overall the offense was fairly vanilla (understandably so considering how many people were in attendance) but one thing that caught a source's eye was how many empty sets the Longhorns deployed. Last year the Horns found quite a bit of success from empty formations and according to multiple people in attendance the 12 personnel empty looks were very successful on the day. Every source we spoke to felt like the offense won the day.

—The defense spent the majority of the scrimmage working in nickel and while our sources felt the offense got the better of them, weren't discouraged by their overall play. One thing that stood out that was music to my ears was the run fits by the entire linebacker group. DeMarvion Overshown, David Gbenda, Jaylan Ford, and Devin Richardson all were credited with tough open-field tackles in addition to workman-like every down run fits that prevented any busted runs.

—"Biggest surprise of the day for me was Jamier Johnson, man that kid can play. He had at least two broken up passes and was just flying around nonstop. Helm seemed to have position on him once but he got physical while staying disciplined to avoid the flag for the PBU. Pumped for fans to see him in the Spring Game."

—The defensive line was said to be one of the best position groups on the day, but we keep hearing similar feedback that they're fantastic against the run but aren't producing a consistent pass rush. One of the ways Pete Kwiatkowski started to generate a pass rush towards the end of practice was using "twists" with Moro Ojomo, Byron Murphy, and Vernon Broughton. Broughton tipped a pass while Ojomo forced Card to get rid of the ball early for an incompletion. T'Vondre Sweat and Devin Richardson had a 4th down stop on the goal-line where they chased down Keilan Robinson on an outside zone run that seemed sure to hit for a score.

—"DeMarvion Overshown smacked Jonathon Brooks and had a great come from behind tackle on a Keilan Robinson outside zone carry. Keilan hit a jet touch pass and has had a couple of other nice plays so it was great seeing DMO's recovery speed in action to save that one. Jaylan Ford also had a great tackle in space on Whittington for no gain."

—Sources felt that Ovie Oghoufo was again the best on the day, but true freshman Justice Finkley was said to be the second best on the edge for the Horns. Finkley had one major highlight where he dominated the rep against Jaylen Garth forcing Ewers to get rid of the ball early and overthrow Casey Cain for a long TD.

—In addition to Jamier Johnson surprising a source in the defensive backfield, we heard that true freshman Xavion Brice had a solid day with his former high school teammate and current Texas commit Jamel Johnson in attendance.

—Jahdae Barron has been one of the best defenders during spring ball and the defensive staff moved him around at corner and nickel during the scrimmage.

—Anthony Cook was solid on the day and got into a light scrap after a play with Jahleel Billingsley. "Coaches got fired up and gave a little butt-chewing for Cook, wasn't a big deal and the coaches that were with me commented on how well the staff/players handled it."

—Closing thoughts from a trusted source that's seen multiple practices this spring: "If Flood tinkers with the offensive line and gets the right personnel in place by Big12 play this offense has a chance to be lethal. They need Whittington to stay healthy and I realize I'm not making some brilliant point with that comment. He's been outstanding and I genuinely feel like they have 6-7 (including the RBs and TEs) dangerous weapons for the QBs to throw to." 

"Defense looks a lot better overall and they are looking good with their gap integrity and run fitting but I'm just not sure they have the pass-rushing personnel or the shutdown DBs to be dominant on that side of the ball. Hopefully I'm underselling Watts, Cook, and Barron on the backend and they prove me wrong."

Spring ball will conclude on April 23rd with the 2022 Orange-White Spring Game which will headline this year's 'Made in Austin' weekend, featuring UT sporting events the weekend of April 22nd through April 24th. The spring game is among the events to headline the weekend, but this year's 'Made in Austin Weekend' is also a Big 12 home series for No. 7 ranked Texas baseball when the Longhorns host Baylor for a three-game series starting on April 22nd.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic