2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

In 3 years of Card being here, he’s never dominated a game or practice and a kid that should still be going to prom right now apparently lit up the scrimmage with the 2nd team OL.  This is going to play out like last year but I hope Sark gives Ewers all the first team reps on August and looks for any transfer QB this summer so we can have a capable backup as pretty much everyone is certain Card will transfer.  Card played completely scared last year and would just sulk on the bench by himself last season.  I’ve watched enough football to know that guys don’t rally behind QBs like that.  Start Ewers and let’s try to get him as many reps as possible before conference play.

• Hook 'Em 8

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

In 3 years of Card being here, he’s never dominated a game or practice and a kid that should still be going to prom right now apparently lit up the scrimmage with the 2nd team OL.  This is going to play out like last year but I hope Sark gives Ewers all the first team reps on August and looks for any transfer QB this summer so we can have a capable backup as pretty much everyone is certain Card will transfer.  Card played completely scared last year and would just sulk on the bench by himself last season.  I’ve watched enough football to know that guys don’t rally behind QBs like that.  Start Ewers and let’s try to get him as many reps as possible before conference play.

Maybe Card will go Woody Harrelson in Wildcats.

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Ewers should not be at Prom, he is 19 years old and is right where he is supposed to be, a Freshman in college.

Guys rally behind….winning. Players respond to guys who help them….win.

Everyone convinced themselves the team was going to “rally behind” and “respond” to Casey Thompson last year because Xavier Worthy got excited after a garbage time TD from Thompson against Arkansas and he took his WR’s to Miami last summer to shoot cool Instagram videos and have throwing sessions and then 3 months later Worthy was openly recruiting Thompson’s replacement while Casey was still on campus.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

You can show happy feet even when protected against contact 

If thats the case he's a lot further back in development than we need him to be. He should be calm and cerebral in these practice reps

I'm banking on this is bullshit 9.95 fiction

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I've watched exactly zero seconds of women's sports that my family wasn't directly involved in during my life so I'm sorry if you're offended by my ignorance but I just remember he married some athletic track lady NCAA Champion/National Champion/World Champion/Olympic Gold Medalist

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Half the Big 12 either has new coaching staffs or are starting at bare cupboards...  Texas is running the same scheme ( not real sure it's a good thing yet) on both sides of the ball, two year in a row.  That hasn't happened for most of the players on the team.  That has to help...

Unless PK fucks us again. 

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

I’m with you here. Starter needs to be named right before fall camp and all reps given to them. Splitting reps in fall camp doesn’t seem like a good decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

That Ewers throw was the best throw I've seen a Texas QB make since Colt was on campus, so there's that. 

Sark had to like that. He is getting pressure, steps up in the pocket, keeps eyes downfield, and delivers a catchable ball downfield for a big play. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

Sark had to like that. He is getting pressure, steps up in the pocket, keeps eyes downfield, and delivers a catchable ball downfield for a big play. 

Sam did that, but he couldn't make that throw the actual quick release tight spiral on the outside shoulder in stride plus all those other things. 

More notes

While it was universally agreed the offense won the day, it didn’t sound like the defense played too poorly. Those two notes can coexist in a zero sum world when the coaches elect to go 1s vs 2s more often than not.

The story of the day was Ewers and the receivers, but another star of the game was De’Marvion Overshown. It was said he had an amazing scrimmage, making linebacker plays, not just cleaning up from depth thanks to athleticism. He had a couple tackles for loss.

The other linebackers played okay, but had quiet days compared to Overshown.

From the defense’s perspective, receivers were finding more space than usual. IT asked if the defense was working on new coverages but was told they weren’t, receivers just had a good day. This undoubtedly coincides with the QB buying more time for them to get open.

Much of the competition in the secondary continued apace — Jahdae Barron and Jerrin Thompson at nickel (Barron is the favorite), Kitan Crawford, JD Coffey, and Thompson at field safety (Crawford is the favorite but Thompson and Coffey are solid).

Crawford is one of the storylines of camp and he “had a good day, continues to get more comfortable.” He’s communicating a lot more which highlights his increased understanding of the position.

There was some solid give and take between the O-line and D-line on the day. Keilan Robinson, pretty quiet to this point, found pay-dirt and Roschon Johnson had a nice run as well.

On the defensive side, Alfred Collins was highlighted for getting in the back-field and Byron Murphy earned mention, too.

Saturday was a day some of the team’s highest upside players shone. Now, let‘s hear about consistency from that same group of players.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Nivek said:

One? Just one? Some one needs to talk to them about their commitment level.

Fwiw it's real hard to be a world class 400m runner with a bun in the oven. Waited for her competitive years to be over before starting a family. 

Tl;dr: being a female athlete seems to suck 

It's all well and good that we use this forum to laud Ewers and a few other players who seem to be standing out. Moar kuhlade, mighty fine.

At this point, it's looking 100% for Card in the portal, unknown when, but not whether. Concomitantly, surly appears to be spending 100% (close enough) of its posting about QB on denigration of Card and crying for a backup from the portal, even while we have several on the squad right now. Card shows as better than anyone but Ewers, but that is because Sark likes his throws, and that is because he, Sark, is discounting Card's proclivity for skipping  open reads and dawdling around the pocket until he gets sacked, or throws a pick... and then going catatonic the next possession. 

I'm hoping we see Maalik move up to QB2, with mostly the same playbook as Ewers,  but with an addition of Marion's go-go book, featuring RPO/TripleOption. Maalik is a fascinating prospect, closer to Blessed Vince than to the 18-Wheeler. At least, he appears to put his 6'5" 225 # frame to good use as an actual run threat that D's absolutely must account for. I think, were I in Sark's position there, I'd be looking at Maalik for the backup role. Maalik is not the passer Ewers is, but he's a much better runner, less likely to get injured, changes the opponents' D (or iff they don't change, shreds that D).

A QB2 like that is literally a game-changer, as many are, but not many in such a good way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It's all well and good that we use this forum to laud Ewers and a few other players who seem to be standing out. Moar kuhlade, mighty fine.

At this point, it's looking 100% for Card in the portal, unknown when, but not whether. Concomitantly, surly appears to be spending 100% (close enough) of its posting about QB on denigration of Card and crying for a backup from the portal, even while we have several on the squad right now. Card shows as better than anyone but Ewers, but that is because Sark likes his throws, and that is because he, Sark, is discounting Card's proclivity for skipping  open reads and dawdling around the pocket until he gets sacked, or throws a pick... and then going catatonic the next possession. 

I'm hoping we see Maalik move up to QB2, with mostly the same playbook as Ewers,  but with an addition of Marion's go-go book, featuring RPO/TripleOption. Maalik is a fascinating prospect, closer to Blessed Vince than to the 18-Wheeler. At least, he appears to put his 6'5" 225 # frame to good use as an actual run threat that D's absolutely must account for. I think, were I in Sark's position there, I'd be looking at Maalik for the backup role. Maalik is not the passer Ewers is, but he's a much better runner, less likely to get injured, changes the opponents' D (or iff they don't change, shreds that D).

A QB2 like that is literally a game-changer, as many are, but not many in such a good way.

Card isn't transferring. Stop it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If you looked up the definition of project in the dictionary, a picture of Murphy would be there. There is so much in his game that has to be cleaned up and on top of that he isn’t even a full participant in spring practice. He shouldn’t see the field at all this year unless we are up by 40 or more.

He’s also not close to the runner Swoopes was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Murphy is far less of a runner than you think. He’s probably in the 4.9 range

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you looked up the definition of project in the dictionary, a picture of Murphy would be there. There is so much in his game that has to be cleaned up and on top of that he isn’t even a full participant in spring practice. He shouldn’t see the field at all this year unless we are up by 40 or more.

Explain/expand on the bolded part please. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Murphy is far less of a runner than you think. He’s probably in the 4.9 range

Just admit you're only comparing Maalik Murphy to Tyrone Swoopes because they're both large and black. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Explain/expand on the bolded part please. 

Tyrone Swoopes played 2A football and was asked to carry the ball a crap ton because he was the best/only athlete on his team. He was an actual “dual threat” in the sense that he had used his legs a lot in HS.

Murphy is a pocket passer who does not posses the desire to take on LB’s 1 and 1 in the hole like Swoopes did once the 18 wheeler package was introduced. As was pointed out above, Murphy’s straightline speed is um, not good. If we are using his in any type of short yardage instead of Roschon our coaches are complete idiots.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

The only thing similar about Murphy and Swooped is their size.  Besides both being 6/5… they couldn’t be more different.  Swoopes an insane athlete with no arm talent.  Dude has been on an NFL roster despite playing TE.  Murphy has a NFL arm but lacks experience and consistency.  If Sark can develop him, he’s 1st round type of guy.  He’s boom or bust.  

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The only thing similar about Murphy and Swooped is their size.  Besides both being 6/5… they couldn’t be more different.  Swoopes an insane athlete with no arm talent.  Dude has been on an NFL roster despite playing TE.  Murphy has a NFL arm but lacks experience and consistency.  If Sark can develop him, he’s 1st round type of guy.  He’s boom or bust.  

Swoopes had arm talent. He had a big arm. He just didn’t know where it was going. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Swoopes had arm talent. He had a big arm. He just didn’t know where it was going. 

Swoopes could throw it hard and far.  That’s where his arm talent ends.

Malik has much better touch and can make difficult throws on top of having a strong arm.  

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Just admit you're only comparing Maalik Murphy to Tyrone Swoopes because they're both large and black. 

Actually the original take was the lazy take.  Black QB = Great athlete. Swoopes is definitely more in-line. Best athlete in the QB is Card and it isn’t particularly close 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic