Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

Took a trip to Amarillo/Dumas to hunt Pheasants for the first time, first pic is lunch (because West Texas) and second pic is dinner tonight. Bet this noble bird assumed he would end up ‘under glass’ or consumed by a coyote, not as shredded crispy tacos.  Pheasant meat is awesome!!!

Second pic includes the newest Czervik family member which was waiting for Al upon his return. image.thumb.jpeg.aa5076ff8a10ad1f2bfd0f6a2016d917.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eb7b6323ce08f3dae26b59296d6f2bf1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8

Well, I decided to do the split, because I ain't 16 anymore.  Popeyes for dinner last night.  Did they screw up my order? Of course they did.  Ate it anyway.

Then, Whataburger green chile burger for lunch today.  Did they hand me the COMPLETELY wrong order at first?  Of course they did.  But got it straightened out.

And then dinner tonight will be something I pick up on the road and eat in my car.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, Al Czervik said:

Took a trip to Amarillo/Dumas to hunt Pheasants for the first time, first pic is lunch (because West Texas) and second pic is dinner tonight. Bet this noble bird assumed he would end up ‘under glass’ or consumed by a coyote, not as shredded crispy tacos.  Pheasant meat is awesome!!!

Second pic includes the newest Czervik family member which was waiting for Al upon his return. image.thumb.jpeg.aa5076ff8a10ad1f2bfd0f6a2016d917.jpeg

Was reading some Texas history and came across the name of First Sergeant Thomas H. Allsup. Was part of the Nolan Expedition. Not sure if he is related to the stores, but I imagine he would like the burritos just like the rest of us.

In 1877, he was stationed at Fort Concho, Texas with the second of his Discharge papers issued there, noting his character as “excellent” and that he was “a reliable and intelligent soldier.” It was in this same year that he played a significant role in the Buffalo Soldier Tragedy of 1877 (also known as the Staked Plains Horror), an ill-fated sortie of 10th Cavalry troops led by Nicholas Merrit Nolan in July 1877 in an attempt to catch Comanche warriors on behalf of a group of buffalo hunters who had been raided. The expedition occurred during a severe drought and the group may have been deliberately misled resulting in the “Thirsting Time” with most of the men going five days without water, resorting to drinking the blood of their dying horses. Four soldiers and one civilian died during the ordeal. During the calamity, Nolan demoted an officer, First Sergeant William Umbles who would then separate from the main group. Umbles would claim later during his trial that he was searching for water as ordered, while Nolan believed that he had deserted. During all of this, Allsup was in charge of the Bull Creek supply camp and was on duty when Umbles arrived and claimed that Nolan and the other men were dead. Allsup was skeptical and instead headed to Doubles Lake with a wagon of water and other supplies, reuniting with Nolan and the main group of men. There is no doubt that Allsup brought much-needed relief for his fatigued and dehydrated comrades and helped to prevent further deaths. Allsup would go on to testify in the October trial of Umbles.

Allsup continued to serve the 10th Cavalry with distinction with his further discharge papers reporting his character as “excellent.” He is known to have served at Fort Davis, Texas; San Carlos, Arizona territory; Fort Bayard, New Mexico territory; and his final post at Fort Assinniboine, Dakota Territory in what is now north-central Montana. In an August 1, 1988 LA Times article “The Proud Legacy of a Buffalo Soldier,” his grandson Thomas H. Allsup III recalls that “Black Jack Pershing was his commanding officer for his last two years. My grandfather had 17 children. He talked to Geronimo.” While it cannot be confirmed that Allsup conversed with Geronimo, it is not without possibility. And it is certainly true that John J. "Black Jack" Pershing commanded the 10th Cavalry at Fort Assinniboine in 1896 when Allsup was stationed there in his last years of service.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, and this is 100% real -- the boy is in his senior year, and the yearbook asked for his "senior quote."  He thought about some of the deeper, philosophical things he thinks of, like some thoughts on global society, or maybe even a quote in a global language.

In the end, he said "you know, I want to pick a quote that says 'me' -- something my classmates will read in 20 years and say 'yep, that's him.'"  So, he picked his senior quote:

"Love that chicken from Popeye's."  He told us the other night, we all chuckled and nodded our heads.  Great choice.

Holy shit that's great. We didn't have a senior quote, but if we did, I guarantee I would've picked something lame. He's gonna look back on that when he's 40 and laugh his ass off. 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Holy shit that's great. We didn't have a senior quote, but if we did, I guarantee I would've picked something lame. He's gonna look back on that when he's 40 and laugh his ass off. 

Me and a buddy went with "How do you keep an Aggie busy?  See (buddy's name).  And then visa versa on his.  Childish but still cracks me up

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2