Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

19 hours ago, Pasken said:

I don't think any kingdom is itching to rebel since they just finished a decade of war they'll need to depend on their neighbors while resources are scarce in Winter. Since (for some dumb reason) winter can last years in GOT there might be a pretty long period of peace. In that time, Bran can build up the royal army out of those who choose to re-settle King's landing. There is also something that can be said about a king who can't be lied to or tricked if he can spy in on all your other conversations. It would be hard to surprise him. 

If resources are scarce, why would resource-rich kingdoms choose to share those resources when there is no powerful central authority to compel them to do so?  If you are a kingdom in a position of strength relative to the other five united kingdoms then it is in your interest to keep what you have and tell Bran he can go fuck himself.  

Edited by Fozzz

Jon actually left castle black with Tormund and the rest of the freefolk to go live north of the wall.  He didn't even obey his sentence for a day.  Being part of whatever is left of the nights watch doing whatever they are going to be doing for the rest of his life would probably suck a little.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Jon actually left castle black with Tormund and the rest of the freefolk to go live north of the wall.  He didn't even obey his sentence for a day.  Being part of whatever is left of the nights watch doing whatever they are going to be doing for the rest of his life would probably suck a little.

Agreed, I did like that he just blew them off.  His Watch is done.  Seeya.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

hes actually the 1000th lord commander so thats a pretty significant title

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

hes actually the 1000th lord commander so thats a pretty significant title

Yeah but they have no purpose.  He'd be commander of a pointless regime.  Their sole purpose now is to house the juvenile delinquents of Westeros.  Going north and finding another Ingrid to stick it in is better than lord commander of the nights watch.

So basically the “game” is over?  They will now just agree on new kings/queens?  That’s bullshit.  With the white walkers gone and no longer a threat, you’d think the game would be amped up. Drogon destroying the actual Iron Throne shouldn’t mean nobody still wants to fight for it at some point. 

And why would Yara agree to be a part of the now Six Kingdoms?  Her dad tried to secede and was killed, along with 2 brothers, by an army filled with Starks. And Theon was taken as a hostage by the Starks.  But now his daughter is gonna let bygones be bygones and agree to stay in the realm and allow a crippled Stark to be king? Come on. 

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah but they have no purpose.  He'd be commander of a pointless regime.  Their sole purpose now is to house the juvenile delinquents of Westeros.  Going north and finding another Ingrid to stick it in is better than lord commander of the nights watch.

Yes and no.  The job's easier without threat of white walkers or wildings migrating south.  Basically its just down-time in the barracks, and he gets to train and teach people.  Either way, being at the wall and north is better than south in the rats nest

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

So basically the “game” is over?  They will now just agree on new kings/queens?  That’s bullshit.  With the white walkers gone and no longer a threat, you’d think the game would be amped up. Drogon destroying the actual Iron Throne shouldn’t mean nobody still wants to fight for it at some point. 

And why would Yara agree to be a part of the now Six Kingdoms?  Her dad tried to secede and was killed, along with 2 brothers, by an army filled with Starks. And Theon was taken as a hostage by the Starks.  But now his daughter is gonna let bygones be bygones and agree to stay in the realm and allow a crippled Stark to be king? Come on. 

Iron fleet is gone.  shes not in a position to negotiate... yet.

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Jon Snow (Kit Harrington) ended up marrying Ygritte (Rose Leslie) IRL.  /csb

Edited by Sbbruin

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes and no.  The job's easier without threat of white walkers or wildings migrating south.  Basically its just down-time in the barracks, and he gets to train and teach people.  Either way, being at the wall and north is better than south in the rats nest

Iron fleet is gone.  shes not in a position to negotiate... yet.

I agree he'd end up in the north even if the unsullied let him free.  As far as the nights watch, I don't think they are allowed to take wives either.  We are just assuming what there day to day lives are going to be given their main purpose of protection has been eliminated.  It could be cool or it could suck.  Hanging out with Tormund is always cool.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

by this logic, there are no bad movies or scripts, only incapable mental gymnastics and imagination. 

the script should stand on it's own.  if you are having to create shit out of thin air to explain away a bad movie, then it's a fucking bad movie.

Movies ask us to make logical leaps and connect the dots all of the time.  Endgame had tons of thing like this and people love it.  

6 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Movies ask us to make logical leaps and connect the dots all of the time.  Endgame had tons of thing like this and people love it.  

endgame had a good script.  sure there were plot holes, but they didn't take away from the movie.

season 8 was a fucking mess.  if you don't believe that, you are lying to yourself.  nothing made sense.  d&d didn't build a case for any of it and especially how they handled the 180 degree changes in character arcs that they built for 7 seasons.  in a span of 1 or 2 episodes, 7 seasons worth of character development was undone.  that for me is the biggest injustice.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

endgame had a good script.  sure there were plot holes, but they didn't take away from the movie.

season 8 was a fucking mess.  if you don't believe that, you are lying to yourself.  nothing made sense.  d&d didn't build a case for any of it and especially how they handled the 180 degree changes in character arcs that they built for 7 seasons.  in a span of 1 or 2 episodes, 7 seasons worth of character development was undone.  that for me is the biggest injustice.

I"d just like to point out that you're debating with someone who a few days ago posted a thesis on why it made sense that the other 6 kingdoms were ok with the North being independent that he clearly put way more thought into than D&D could be bothered to since they are too busy with their new Star Wars movies.

Edited by elguapo

Just now, elguapo said:

I"d just like to point out that you're debating with someone who a few days ago posted a thesis on why it made sense that the other 6 kingdoms were ok with the North being independent that he clearly put way more thought into than D&D could be bothered to since they are too busy with their new Star Wars movies.

you're right.  and he just compared how marvel wrapped up 10 years, 21 movies worth of story lines in endgame vs what d&d did with season 8.

Most of the important houses are completely destroyed or severely depleted. The people who would be fighting for control have already lost. The misfits remain. Yara just wants to much rug.

I always thought a good ending would be to abandon the Iron Throne and break them up into individual kingdoms again, but I kinda expected all 7 would go separate, not just the North.

I’m good with the ending, just thought the delivery sucked.

48 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Most of the important houses are completely destroyed or severely depleted. The people who would be fighting for control have already lost. The misfits remain. Yara just wants to much rug.

I always thought a good ending would be to abandon the Iron Throne and break them up into individual kingdoms again, but I kinda expected all 7 would go separate, not just the North.

What about Dorne?  Their army is completely intact and they have no reason to bend the knee to Bran.   Particularly because they were fucked over by relatives of both Bran and his new Hand. 

32 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What about Dorne?  Their army is completely intact and they have no reason to bend the knee to Bran.   Particularly because they were fucked over by relatives of both Bran and his new Hand. 

who do they have to represent their house though?  most of princes and princesses died.  plus winterfell can get away with a secession because a stark is king of the seven six kingdoms

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

who do they have to represent their house though?  most of princes and princesses died.  plus winterfell can get away with a secession because a stark is king of the seven six kingdoms

This guy:

SEI_68448418.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

The new prince of Dorne was one of the guys at the council meeting.  

For me, the whole thing just highlights how incongruous the council ending was with a show that was, above all, about the complex political struggles in the seven kingdoms.   Each region had its own identity and motivations, and those things propelled much of the drama throughout the series.  Tywin went to some lengths to get Dorne on his side, precisely because that shit actually mattered.   Then, at the end, Tyrion talks about good stories and each of them just shrugs and decides to let Ned Stark's kid have a go at it.   Even though the Ironborn and Dorne were notoriously independent minded, and Dorne is in the strongest position of any of the kingdoms at the end.   The only remotely possible explanation would be that they are tired of war, except the North was able to leave peacefully because we need a happy ending for Sansa, so why would the other kingdoms feel compelled to fall in with Bran? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I fucking hated that Dorne guy. I could never understand his lines or motivations. His entire character was so god damn ambiguous.

i think part of that is they had noone strong to represent their house since doran died

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Ending has grown on me a bit.  Jon was never going to take the crown.

I know Jon didn't want to be king, but give him the opportunity to reject it.  Make his true heritage mean something.  It doesn't even get mentioned.  The more I think on this ending, the more unbelievable it gets.

Yes, I know he was a prisoner but that should have been rewritten.  

• Like 4

I know Jon didn't want to be king, but give him the opportunity to reject it.  Make his true heritage mean something.  It doesn't even get mentioned.  The more I think on this ending, the more unbelievable it gets.

c273fcfe475fec140518e77978ded8f7.jpg
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Agree.  And there's simply no reason he had to be a prisoner.  He had an entire army of northmen.  Bring the army with you when you have the chat with Dany. See if the unsullied still have the urge to take you prisoner.

Or alternatively, since it was pretty stupid and out of character to have Jon kill Dany at all, let it be Arya that offs her. It was obvious she wanted to at the end of Episode 5.  Yet another example of a ton of buildup that led to absolutely nothing.  

I'm with you, the more I think about the ending, the more head-scratching it becomes.

32 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Yeah, it would have been much better if Jon was set to be king by right, causing potential problems with the unsullied and Dothraki and Yara etc., and it was his idea to voluntarily abdicate and join the Nights Watch, putting the realm above his personal interests.   He could have also suggested Bran, which would have had more weight than prisoner Tyrion. 

6 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

That would have been much better.   Relatedly, they should have had killing the Night King only destroy the wights he controlled, not the White Walkers, who were created by a different process.  In the battle against the dead at Winterfell, they should have had Jon, Brienne, Jorah, Jaime, etc. take on and kill White Walkers, which would have been a much better story for them during the battle than magically surviving hordes of zombies crawling all over them.  And then the implication at the end would be that there is still a group of Craster's undead kids growing up beyond the wall, who were not destroyed by the death of the NK. 

It's not perfect, but on re-watch, END THE SERIES here.  You get the nice high school reunion episode that rolls into the WW war.  Fin..The rest was beyond pointless

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree.  Tyrion should have been dead, not nominating Kings while in shackles.

I'm fine with Tyiron living, since the only reason he's shackled is because he committed 'treason" against a dead tyrant who wasn't ever really a monarch of Westeros anyway.

But definitely think Jon Snow should have been the one nominating Bran, if we're forced to endure the kingsmoot plotline.  Or better yet, Jon just drops the mic and walks away to the North and lets the 7 kingdoms sort themselves out.  His Watch is done and everyone else can GF themselves.

What's really frustrating is that most of the ideas floated here over the past 2 months would have been better and more consistent with the first 5-6 seasons of the show than what we ended up with.  And we're just a bunch of assholes on an internet message board.

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That had been their purpose for centuries. At some point, the WW became lore and castle black stopped being manned by soldiers and became a prison camp for criminals and unwanted. The wall was doing a fine job of keeping the wildlings out.  

The place that needs to be staffed is eastwatch to keep an eye on boats using the sea to get south of the wall. 

where are all these motherfuckers on the council when the shit is going down?

Lady Mormont is out killin  an undead giant for the cause and when the dust settles all of the sudden these bitches show up and wanna make rulings over Jon and Tyrion?

Greyworm  having the upper hand over Jon was also pure horseshit.

Edited by slorch

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread