Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

Based on what? Fox News fixations about her? You may disagree with her politics but she's far more prepared and logical than many other congresspersons because, let's face it, she has to be. I've never seen her say anything close to "dizzy." 

This is a stupid and sexist take. 

Nah man, you’re right. But seeing as how you don’t know what I based my comment on, you lobbed out Fox News. The sexist part of my take was meant as a joke. The dizzy portion was based on my opinion, one of which you immediately incorporated to a news entity.

I’m pretty sure that my post, albeit opinionated, might have been one of the shortest ones on this thread, but it was a tongue in cheek response. And it really helps me understand why I should leave the politics thread alone, knowing you’ve got it under control because you know I obviously sought out Fox News in order to influence and formulate my opinion, and that “my take” is stupid according to you.

I’ll wear the sexist portion of it because this is Surly and I was kidding. And if it offended anyone, I’ll be in my bunk.

2 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Nah man, you’re right. But seeing as how you don’t know what I based my comment on, you lobbed out Fox News. The sexist part of my take was meant as a joke. The dizzy portion was based on my opinion, one of which you immediately incorporated to a news entity.
I’m pretty sure that my post might have been one of the shortest, and obviously opinionated ones on this thread, but it was a tongue in cheek response. And it really helps me understand why I should leave the politics thread alone, knowing you’ve got it under control because you know I obviously sought out Fox News in order to influence and formulate my opinion, and that “my take” is stupid according to you.
I’ll wear the sexist portion of it because this is Surly and I was kidding. And if it offended anyone, I’ll be in my bunk.

k.

I'm genuinely curious how the fuck you arrive at "dizzy" as an adjective though. My opinion is that is an obviously lazy opinion not based in factual analysis. 

k.

I'm genuinely curious how the fuck you arrive at "dizzy" as an adjective though. My opinion is that is an obviously lazy opinion not based in factual analysis. 

Your opinion is all yours. But my opinion is anything but lazy. ‘Dizzy’ is totally based on something my high school football coach use to call one of us if we fucked up or said something stupid (or something he deemed stupid). It’s a word in common usage (to me anyway) to describe someone who I feel IN MY OPINION, might say something stupid, stepped on, or that doesn’t make an ounce of sense.

Is it lazy? Probably, but I’m not lazy by nature, just when I make mistakes like engaging in threads like this when I should see myself back to the funny pictures, sports, and dick & fart joke thread.

4 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Your opinion is all yours. But my opinion is anything but lazy. ‘Dizzy’ is totally based on something my high school football coach use to call one of us if we fucked up or said something stupid (or something he deemed stupid). It’s a word in common usage (to me anyway) to describe someone who I feel IN MY OPINION, might say something stupid, stepped on, or that doesn’t make an ounce of sense.

Is it lazy? Probably, but I’m not lazy by nature, just when I make mistakes like engaging in threads like this when I should see myself back to the funny pictures, sports, and dick & fart joke thread.

AOC is the third rail around here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I'm pretty fucking sure your opinion about AOC s, in fact, pretty lazy if you think she's dizzy and that opinion is informed by the same narrative that informs Fox News viewers. I'll admit  didn't take her seriously or pay close attention when she was first elected because she wasn't my congresswoman and she wasn't that relevant in progressive politics, but by any objective account she has performed her job a at a very high level and she should be recognized as such. That's exactly why Fox and Friends fear her so much and want to make a boogeyman out of her--she knows what she's talking about, she knows what working class Americans deal with on a daily basis, she has empathy, and she can't be bullied by assholes like Roger Williams. 

Think about it--not only is she a woman, but she's a woman of color not from the same occupational class as 99.9% of the rest of Congress. If I'm putting my money on any one particular lawmaker to come to work prepared, that person is AOC because she's the one with the target with on her back. She's the one who is a true outsider as opposed to the asshole narcissist failed businessmen the GOP loves to trot out as heroic saviors. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Scottish ones are my favorite.  It doesn't hurt that it may as well be their national motto: "Oh yah?  Well...FOOK YEW!!!!"  Then you fight, then you make up and drink whisky together.  It's a fine culture, and I admire it.

Ha.  Reminds me of this guy.

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

k.

He’s a sexist moron is how. The explanation that it came from his BY GAWD HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBAW coach hammers that point home.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty fucking sure your opinion about AOC s, in fact, pretty lazy if you think she's dizzy and that opinion is informed by the same narrative that informs Fox News viewers. I'll admit  didn't take her seriously or pay close attention when she was first elected because she wasn't my congresswoman and she wasn't that relevant in progressive politics, but by any objective account she has performed her job a at a very high level and she should be recognized as such. That's exactly why Fox and Friends fear her so much and want to make a boogeyman out of her--she knows what she's talking about, she knows what working class Americans deal with on a daily basis, she has empathy, and she can't be bullied by assholes like Roger Williams. 
Think about it--not only is she a woman, but she's a woman of color not from the same occupational class as 99.9% of the rest of Congress. If I'm putting my money on any one particular lawmaker to come to work prepared, that person is AOC because she's the one with the target with on her back. She's the one who is a true outsider as opposed to the asshole narcissist failed businessmen the GOP loves to trot out as heroic saviors. 

Maybe I know her personally, and have for some time. Maybe I hung out with her in Boston once or twice.

Would that sway anything? I don’t watch Fox and Friends.
  • Like 1

Maybe I know her personally, and have for some time. Maybe I hung out with her in Boston once or twice.

Again, y’all don’t know me IRL, and hopefully we might meet someday at a tailgate. But my sense of humor and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Oh my god get over yourself.

You said something sexist and misogynistic. Own it, apologize, learn from it, and move on.

Doubling and tripling down and pulling the “HAHA I JUST JOKING! WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS SO SERIOUS?” makes your comment seem less misguided and more intentional.

• Like 4

You said something sexist and misogynistic. Own it, apologize, learn from it, and move on.

Doubling and tripling down and pulling the “HAHA I JUST JOKING! WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS SO SERIOUS?” makes your comment seem less misguided and more intentional.

I’m sorry, I actually was joking, Roll Tide, and I own it.

Apparently he taught you how to spell as well you sexist piece of trash.

Well I guess my spelling was off, but it was due to my grammatical use of the apostrophe and the addition of the letter ‘e’, is where I made my error. I think I’ve apologized enough. Do you want to attack my parents on my upbringing as well?

I have obviously stepped into an area where people are way too serious, and I apparently really upset y’all. For that I AGAIN apologize.

That said, you should probably stop as well. Or keep white-knighting. You’re call.

But if you’d like to continue talking shit, I’ll gladly stay right here.

2 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Well my spelling wasn’t off, it was just my grammatical use of the apostrophe where I made my error. I think I’ve apologized enough. Do you want to attack my parents on my upbringing as well?

Stop. I have stepped into an area where people are way too serious, and I apparently really upset y’all. For that I AGAIN apologize.

That said, you should probably stop as well. Or keep white-knighting. You’re call.

Did you mean to type "your'e"? 

55 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Were you in the shit?

JIP1jk.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Well I guess my spelling was off, but it was due to my grammatical use of the apostrophe and the addition of the letter ‘e’, is where I made my error. I think I’ve apologized enough. Do you want to attack my parents on my upbringing as well?

I have obviously stepped into an area where people are way too serious, and I apparently really upset y’all. For that I AGAIN apologize.

But if you’d like to continue talking shit, I’ll gladly stay right here.

She’s my representative and you’re a worthless piece of trash.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

I bet that "dizzy bitch" knows the difference between "your" and "you're". 
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

She is a problem. Her agenda is unrealistic and not based in reality. I also see her as unwilling to compromise or build a coalition to get shit done.

She is tooting her own horn on the Faircloth stuff. How about instead of building new public housing, we make the current public housing units are up to standard (they are not, and for the most part they are absolute vermin infested shitholes) and that the people who live in them actually should be (i.e. ensure no fraud is occurring).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

She’s my representative and you’re a worthless piece of trash.

Username does not check out. 

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

We all know “Haha, I was just joking” guy.

She is a problem. Her agenda is unrealistic and not based in reality. I also see her as unwilling to compromise or build a coalition to get shit done.

She is tooting her own horn on the Faircloth stuff. How about instead of building new public housing, we make the current public housing units are up to standard (they are not, and for the most part they are absolute vermin infested shitholes) and that the people who live in them actually should be (i.e. ensure no fraud is occurring).

So there's a significant problem with peopke who have the knowledge/ resources to commit fraud doing so to live in vermin infested shitholes? Interesting premise.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, y’all don’t know me IRL, and hopefully we might meet someday at a tailgate. But my sense of humor and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Aggy victim complex strong to quite strong. 8/10.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

PW, the point is her intelligence. Do you believe you're making a case that AOC doesn't know the difference between your and you're (at least as a metaphor for her not being very bright)?

Obviously, it's fine to disagree with her political ideas and agenda, but that doesn't make her dizzy in and of itself.

On public housing, the soaring tenements seem to have been built to give the poor a smaller footprint on the land. Further, I've heard more than once from various informed sources that they lack community that the poor once shared prior to moving to them. Ideally, we'd do both things you mention: bring the extant up to code while coming up with something better. It's hard enough to get funding for either as it is, so perhaps AOC's focus on one solution is the more realistic approach.

I don't know AOC's stands that well. I only know her at all because of raging right-wing rhetoric that amusingly blew up in their faces because she's more adept than they are. I, as said above, like everything I do see. She seems likable on top of everything else.

Edited by RomaVicta
words. added words. words are good. words are our friends.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I don't have a disagreement with any of these concerns.  I'm pretty moderate for a Dem and I'd prefer she keep a low profile until December or so, but then again, I have no problem with zealots as long as they don't upright the whole ship.  More importantly, I wouldn't classify women who hold this position as bitches, which is really what this is about.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

So there's a significant problem with peopke who have the knowledge/ resources to commit fraud doing so to live in vermin infested shitholes? Interesting premise.

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. Simultaneously claiming that public housing is nearly all vermin-infested shitholes and also that well-to-do people are committing fraud in order to live in them is, uh, interesting. I mean I get that real estate is expensive in NYC, but come on.

• Like 1

I don't have a disagreement with any of these concerns.  I'm pretty moderate for a Dem and I'd prefer she keep a low profile until December or so, but then again, I have no problem with zealots as long as they don't upright the whole ship.  More importantly, I wouldn't classify women who hold this position as bitches, which is really what this is about.
The rep that addressed her like that was totally out of line. I don't see how that's even up for debate.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Username does not check out. 

It was not supposed to. My favorite museum is on the UWS and when we could go to the movies I would often go to the AMC near Lincoln Square or the one off 84th. Not a whole lot more to having chose the name than that. I am in her district in Astoria. Not my favorite neighborhood.  

18 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It was not supposed to. My favorite museum is on the UWS and when we could go to the movies I would often go to the AMC near Lincoln Square or the one off 84th. Not a whole lot more to having chose the name than that. I am in her district in Astoria. Not my favorite neighborhood.  

In 1981 a NYC cabbie told me he could tell a good neighborhood from a bad one by looking down to see how many metal bottle caps were embedded in the asphalt. If he saw a lot, hey, look out.

With plastic bottle caps now, I suppose they don't embed as easily. So now more neighborhoods are nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

PW, the point is her intelligence. Do you believe you're making a case that AOC doesn't know the difference between your and you're (at least as a metaphor for her not being very bright)?

Obviously, it's fine to disagree with her political ideas and agenda, but that doesn't make her dizzy in and of itself.

On public housing, the soaring tenements seem to have been built to give the poor a smaller footprint on the land. Further, I've heard more than once from various informed sources that they lack community that the poor once shared prior to moving to them. Ideally, we'd do both things you mention: bring the extant up to code while coming up with something better. It's hard enough to get funding for either as it is, so perhaps AOC's focus on one solution is the more realistic approach.

I don't know AOC's stands that well. I only know her at all because of raging right-wing rhetoric that amusingly blew up in their faces because she's more adept than they are. I, as said above, like everything I do see. She seems likable on top of everything else.

Well, since she got confused on who's or whose, I would not be shocked if your and you're causes her problems. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, since she got confused on who's or whose, I would not be shocked if your and you're causes her problems. 

Does she do this often?  I honestly don't know.  She typically speaks well, and I don't see her tweets except when someone posts them here.  Nothing about her strikes me as anything less than reasonably intelligent.

The only reason that AOC has any clout at all is that Fox News talks about her incessantly.  Of course it's propaganda and misrepresentation of facts when making assertions of her "influence and power" but without lies and misrepresentations of fact what can the GOP do?  Imagine if the non-Fox news stations all decided that Louie Gohmert is the "real" power and influence int he GOP.  It would be laughable, but that's how Fox and the GOP work, creation of boogeymen via misinformation.

I have been listening to Fox News for over an hour. Mainly because I want to know what the truly ignorant are having their opinions formed by.  IN fact if you watch Fox New, here is what you know about.  Trump is trying hard to help the Mayor of Chicago, but she just wont be reasonable.  There is a reason mayor Lightfoot is now on the tips of the tongues of your least factually informed neighbors.  Joe Biden, is being pulled to the extreme left with bat shit crazy ideas like universal access to healthcare. Of course we are sill waiting for the outlines of the DECADES in the making Republican healthcare plan.

What you you haven't heard a peep about?  ANY question regarding the dilemma that is putting 1000 Americans a day into body bags.  Instead the focus?  !5 body bags were filled after a gang shootout at a funeral.  Let that sink in a second.  1000 dead Americans and what is important on Trump TV? Portland, Chicago, Hillary clinton, Joe biden's extreme pull to radical leftism, and now the China embassy in Houston.  This is in an hour and a half of watching foreign controlled Fox News.  Meanwhile Trump's pathetic "chinese virus" response another person dies of the "disease that cannot be mentioned" every 90 seconds...

But yes.... AOC... AOC... AOC...  NEVER EVER has a true freshman been elevated to the level of AOC.  But without imaginary boogeymen, who can the GOP fight valiant battles against?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does she do this often?  I honestly don't know.  She typically speaks well, and I don't see her tweets except when someone posts them here.  Nothing about her strikes me as anything less than reasonably intelligent.

Her grasp of macroeconomic principles is shaky at best.

To be fair, I do not think she is a moron, however, it is my opinion that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.  Further, she lacks any meaningful real world experience.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

To be fair, I do not think she is a moron, however, it is my opinion that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.  Further, she lacks any meaningful real world experience.  

You just described 2/3 of surly, 90% of Congress, and probably 75% of Americans.

23 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

doubtful.

and i know what comes next, the video where she says of course employment is high, everyone has two jobs. which caused fact checkers to breathlessly run around saying, no alexandria, not everyone has two jobs, and no, having two jobs doesn't get you counted twice.  which completely misses what she said and assumes she's an idiot instead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

She is giving Yoho the business on twitter this afternoon and it's awesome. 

Because he's a gutless, nutless coward.  First, he calls a female colleague a "fucking bitch."  Then, he's not man enough to even apologize to her (that speech wasn't an apology in any way).

Remember, if you're looking for men -- you know, men of honor, integrity, courage, the ideals we apply to men -- don't waste any time looking in the GOP.  They are sniveling cowards....at best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because he's a gutless, nutless coward.  First, he calls a female colleague a "fucking bitch."  Then, he's not man enough to even apologize to her (that speech wasn't an apology in any way).

Remember, if you're looking for men -- you know, men of honor, integrity, courage, the ideals we apply to men -- don't waste any time looking in the GOP.  They are sniveling cowards....at best.

I would go with racist assclowns as being the nicest description of them.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez