¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

12 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
18 hours ago, immortal13 said:
Can someone id this snake?

237727440_10219179442173241_5369465501017959193_n.thumb.jpg.bab75b3425f8241645ccc0fcafadd8b4.jpg

I'm going with juvenile yellow-bellied racer.

Haha.  I immediately zoomed in on snek and lost all perspective as to how small that probably is.  And failed to consider juveniles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Patricio Swayze , @Jerry Callo or anyone else: I've killed I've killed 5 juvenile diamondbacks (about a foot long) in the last three weeks at my house in South Austin. Neighborhood children and our son play over at our house often. I've only killed one per year on average for the last 8 years, now all of the sudden I've got them all over the place. What's going on and can I hire someone to rid my place of any more of these killers?

(Came within 4 inches of stepping on one just now. Scared the shit out of me.)

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] , [mention=482]Jerry Callo[/mention] or anyone else: I've killed I've killed 5 juvenile diamondbacks (about a foot long) in the last three weeks at my house in South Austin. Neighborhood children and our son play over at our house often. I've only killed one per year on average for the last 8 years, now all of the sudden I've got them all over the place. What's going on and can I hire someone to rid my place of any more of these killers?

Hard to say really. Snakes being displaced from nearby habitat that has been developed perhaps. I’m not sure of a company or person that could provide a service like that. I just know of a couple of herper dudes that would likely relocate a snake or two if needed.

Find a speckled Kingsnake and let him go on your property and he should eat those baby rattlers.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

@Patricio Swayze , @Jerry Callo or anyone else: I've killed I've killed 5 juvenile diamondbacks (about a foot long) in the last three weeks at my house in South Austin. Neighborhood children and our son play over at our house often. I've only killed one per year on average for the last 8 years, now all of the sudden I've got them all over the place. What's going on and can I hire someone to rid my place of any more of these killers?

I agree with Patricio Swayze.  Don't waste any money on Snake Rid or any other products because they don't do anything.  Snake fencing can be helpful, but it obviously depends upon the property (topography and size).  The best thing you can do is address any places that make good snake (or prey) habitat.  Wood piles, overgrown beds, lumber lying on the ground, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Where do you live and lay pipe in South Austin, Shank? I've never seen a diamondback or any venomous snek near William Cannon and West Gate.

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Where do you live and lay pipe in South Austin, Shank? I've never seen a diamondback or any venomous snek near William Cannon and West Gate.

We are just east of the Wildflower Center and the Water Management Area near there. Also close to Slaughter Creek.

@Patricio Swayze, there has been some land clearing nearby. I had thought about that, but I'm finding these baby rattlers pretty much in the same location. If they were displaced from an area 150 yards away, would they still congregate in a small area? I guess if it's a good habitat for them, they'll find it. They've all been under hedges that line the house.

And where would one find a speckled king snake?

Edited by Steel Shank

We are just east of the Wildflower Center and the Water Management Area near there. Also close to Slaughter Creek.
[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention], there has been some land clearing nearby. I had thought about that, but I'm finding these baby rattlers pretty much in the same location. If they were displaced from an area 150 yards away, would they still congregate in a small area? I guess if it's a good habitat for them, they'll find it. They've all been under hedges that line the house.

They are going to stick around a place that has good and shelter. They love being under boards, limestone rocks, railroad ties, etc. probably hanging out in the shrubs to get a bit of Sun but easily get out of site. Plus they are likely eating lizards, frogs, maybe mice.

Doesn’t need to be a speckled. Over there you would more likely find a plains Kingsnake. Usually find them in fields under things like boards and logs.

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

@Patricio Swayze, there has been some land clearing nearby. I had thought about that, but I'm finding these baby rattlers pretty much in the same location. If they were displaced from an area 150 yards away, would they still congregate in a small area? I guess if it's a good habitat for them, they'll find it. They've all been under hedges that line the house.

It's a lot easier to find some stray cats instead of some stray kingsnakes. You just have to make sure you don't feed or start liking the cats. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's a lot easier to find some stray cats instead of some stray kingsnakes. You just have to make sure you don't feed or start liking the cats. 

The neighbors have some cats that come over. The Ginger cat is super friendly, so it may end up befriending the rattle snakes. The Ginger cat loves everybody.

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

The neighbors have some cats that come over. The Ginger cat is super friendly, so it may end up befriending the rattle snakes. The Ginger cat loves everybody.

See we don't want any friendly cats. We want the cat that has seen some shit, but hopefully has feline AIDS so that when it takes care of rattlesnakes it'll be weak enough to fall prey to the hawks that we find to kill the cats that were found to kill the rattlesnakes.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

See we don't want any friendly cats. We want the cat that has seen some shit, but hopefully has feline AIDS so that when it takes care of rattlesnakes it'll be weak enough to fall prey to the hawks that we find to kill the cats that were found to kill the rattlesnakes.

I'm going to ice down a case of Bud Light for this show.

5 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Purely anectdotal, but about 10 years ago, I built a garden and installed some cheap landscape netting around the perimeter to keep the deer out.  I inadvertently trapped a half dozen rat snakes.  They'd get tangled up in the netting and die.  I ended up doing the same thing (on purpose this time) around our chicken run at our last house.  I ran netting around the perimeter of the fence.  Caught all sorts of snakes in the same fashion, but never had issues with snakes in the coop.  You'll catch the good with the bad, but it seems to be a fool-proof way to keep snakes out.

41 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looks like a rough earth snek.

When I was a kid in Houston, I was catching lizards and came across an albino snake that was decently thick and looked like it didn't have eyes. I assume it was some kind of earth snake, too.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When I was a kid in Houston, I was catching lizards and came across an albino snake that was decently thick and looked like it didn't have eyes. I assume it was some kind of earth snake, too.

It looked something like this:

Albinism in a Yellow-bellied Earth Snake (Geophis godmani Boulenger, 1894)  (Serpentes: Dipsadidae) from Central Costa Rica

We were camping at Old Settlers this past weekend and found this guy in the middle of our campsite.  We had already been there 3 days when an 8 year old almost stepped on him, so no idea where he was hiding before that.  My 10 year old is a snake fan, so we managed to relocate him to the edge of the property.  Looks like he might have been injured before we found him, so don't know if he made it.  We heard there were a number of copperheads found throughout the campgrounds, most weren't lucky enough to be relocated.

PXL_20211023_144901564.jpg

PXL_20211023_144650081.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuggled said:

most weren't lucky enough to be relocated.

And a good damn deal. The sneakiest, low life, try to bite you bastards in the snake world. Fukers will lay perfect still in camo not making a move to lure your ass in and bite you. For those that say they are harmless, have a three foot one strike at your face, miss- and was striking so hard when he/she hit the brim of your hat they knocked it off your head. I cannot abide a copperhead.

Good snakes get a chance here, bad snakes (poison) do not.

Relocating a good one out of a tool shed.

IMG_20180630_154909098(3).jpg

IMG_20180630_155133048(2).jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Collection from Hamilton pool the last several months (using zoomed in phone up to binoculars). Water moccasin ×2, diamondback water snake, blotched water snake, rough green snake and red-striped ribbon snake.
I've stepped right over a juvenile water moccasin, and the adults are constantly by the pool, entirely ignoring visitors. Those things "aggressive" reputation is bullshit. 5f524215b77267d2e63c835e7bbcaab1.jpgc3680d0128f0081e423263d0b19b1117.jpgb07f64b201a2bb9d880c6a5e5e1fba9b.jpg39eb608f09454562c57bf227b84101b7.jpgf85270696bdf680ece6d0f6a23441093.jpga95ad743cc9163307c20e9db5c22a813.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 10/27/2021 at 10:20 PM, hookem2010 said:

I've stepped right over a juvenile water moccasin, and the adults are constantly by the pool, entirely ignoring visitors. Those things "aggressive" reputation is bullshit. 

Ive had a different encounter with them maybe 20 years ago swimming in Caddo Lake.  Bunch of friends swimming on the shore and somebody spotted one headed right towards us in the water.  We all jumped in the boat and he got hit with a boat paddle.  Maybe we were banked up near his nesting spot, no idea.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47es50uvvcv51gfdncq1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, markstanco said:

Ive had a different encounter with them maybe 20 years ago swimming in Caddo Lake.  Bunch of friends swimming on the shore and somebody spotted one headed right towards us in the water.  We all jumped in the boat and he got hit with a boat paddle.  Maybe we were banked up near his nesting spot, no idea.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47es50uvvcv51gfdncq1

Maybe them Austin snakes are a little more civilized than country snakes. Cottonmouths here are bitey, just have to be aware when you are in their territory. I'm on a plateau where you never see a cottonmouth unless its by total accident. 8 mile south of me on the river they are thick and they all seem to be ill mannered. The largest cottonmouth I ever saw was at the Fort Worth zoo. Head the size of a big mans fist. Sr. trip---years ago. We got to go to six flags and the zoo. First time I ever saw a live concert. Charlie Daniels in the Six Flags amphitheater. Most there were rednecks like us but a few were burning calf rope.