Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, jinx said:

That's good enough for me.

But, I will say that he stepped down from UF due to medical issues and didn't know if he would coach again.  He stepped down at OSU for completely different reasons, although I think his "health" helped cushion the departure for OSU.  I think if the Zach Smith stuff never happened, he would still be coaching there.  I have always expected him to take another job, I just didn't expect it to be Texas.

The FCB podcast was definitely worth the listen (The Flagship from 247 posted last Friday).  I rarely listen to it, so hat tip to whoever recommended it.  It was basically 30 minutes of a lead OSU reporter talking about Urban.  My takeaway was that Urban would likely be interested as long as we were.  He talked a lot about LA vs Austin and seemed to lean toward Urban liking Texas better than USC if it came down to that.

Say what?  A certain neutral observer hinted that Shelley preferred LA.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The IT Scoop today was

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

Basically seem like if Urban wants it the job is his. Money shouldnt be a problem although the optics will look bad. 

My favorite quote "Some of the most instrumental people in bringing him to Texas are out on him for much the same reasons the fans are. It’s hard to overstate the level of frustration with Herman from people who have influence over his immediate future." Firing him mid season is definitely not off the table. 

Oops. Posted this about the same time as the IT report was. Carry on.

200.gif

Edited by C-Man

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

OSU has done so well for 80+ years that it's enviable on any level. Everybody else deals with the same shit, and it's not because fanbases don't care. 

77% winning percentage since 1950, which is equivalent to 10-3 every season for 70 years.

84% winning percentage since hiring Tressel, which is equivalent to 11-2 every season for 20 years.

6 minutes ago, jinx said:

That's good enough for me.

But, I will say that he stepped down from UF due to medical issues and didn't know if he would coach again.  He stepped down at OSU for completely different reasons, although I think his "health" helped cushion the departure for OSU.  I think if the Zach Smith stuff never happened, he would still be coaching there.  I have always expected him to take another job, I just didn't expect it to be Texas.

The FCB podcast was definitely worth the listen (The Flagship from 247 posted last Friday).  I rarely listen to it, so hat tip to whoever recommended it.  It was basically 30 minutes of a lead OSU reporter talking about Urban.  My takeaway was that Urban would likely be interested as long as we were.  He talked a lot about LA vs Austin and seemed to lean toward Urban liking Texas better than USC if it came down to that.

Yeah we aren't getting any definitive confirmation of interest as long as Herman is under contract. There seems to be plenty of insider rumors and assumptions you can make with context to believe that at the minimum both sides are open to the possibility (if not further along). 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

My guess is Fuente who was an assistant at TCU but could be

When Texas went all-in on hiring Herman, I was disappointed and didn't want the guy for various reasons I've articulated over the years on the boards. The guy I wanted at the time? Justin Fuente. He hasn't exactly covered himself in glory at VaTech. I guess I'd be pretty down on that hire this time around. Same for Sonny Dykes, Fickell, and any other guys mentioned above. Another G5 hire would probably be a pretty terrible set-up for the school and our enthusiasm. Geez. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

When Texas went all-in on hiring Herman, I was disappointed and didn't want the guy for various reasons I've articulated over the years on the boards. The guy I wanted at the time? Justin Fuente. He hasn't exactly covered himself in glory at VaTech. I guess I'd be pretty down on that hire this time around. Same for Sonny Dykes, Fickell, and any other guys mentioned above. Another G5 hire would probably be a pretty terrible set-up for the school and our enthusiasm. Geez. 

Why the fuck would Texas want Fickell or vice versa.  His next job should be a mid-tier Big 10 job like Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

On mobile. Don’t know how to spoiler

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

A year ago, almost to the date, we wrote this to assuage any fears Tom Herman wouldn’t make substantial changes to his coaching staff.

The expected overhaul occurred and Tom Herman was given a new lease on life. Of course that lease didn’t last very long and now athletic director Chris Del Conte finds himself in a similar situation to last year, just this time his focus will be on the head coach rather than coordinators and below.

Del Conte was hired at Texas for two reasons, to raise money and hire coaches. He understands the two go hand in hand. Hire good coaches and raising money becomes much more easier, particularly in the $100k group. Hiring a big name coach would bring more financial support from that donating demographic. The million-dollar bunch is usually around the rim already, but they’re currently sitting on their wallets when it comes to athletic donations.

The current climate has made it much harder to raise money, so even if it’s not his fault, Del Conte is failing to do the #1 thing he was hired to do. Fundraising hitting the wall is a fait accompli for Herman, unless he pulls off a miraculous run of winning. And even then, his job is still in danger. Del Conte won’t be taking the blame for his inability to raise money.

Donors who don’t wield heavy influence, but who cut large checks, all ask the same question: What about Urban Meyer? In the past, Meyer's history would preclude being hired at Texas. We’ve probably never reversed course more quickly on something we were so adamant on. That’s because the donors’ appetite changed almost overnight. At the same time, Texas has a new school president in Jay Hartzell who is a friend to athletics in general and football in particular. While it wouldn’t be accurate to say he’s beating the drum for Meyer, we’ve heard he’s open to it.

We know Del Conte’s open to it because a hire like that fulfills both of his main obligations: raising money and making excellent coaching hires.

SCENARIOS

While you play A Tribe Called Quest in your head, we’ll update the current scenarios we outlined in the recent Humidor.

Here we go, yo.

1. Option #1: Not to confuse Meyer being likely, but we were early to say the hire is at least possible. Because of that, the early signals were coming through loud and clear. We were able to corroborate some key bits of news. As more catch on behind the scenes, the noise is starting to drown out the signal. Rumor SZN is upon us. Everybody has heard something it seems, but unfortunately the info doesn’t always align. Our best sources on the matter, however, are in a holding pattern. That is to say, the hire is still doable.

If top brass deems it’s time to move on from Herman, buyout money won’t be an issue for a quality hire. Funding a hire as ambitious as Meyer could be a bit more difficult. There are a lot of ways to make the numbers work, however, and if a realistic number is negotiated, the school will find a way to ante up. If this were to come to fruition, the politics wouldn’t look great for the school. A lot of people don’t understand ROI, sadly.

Aside the financial considerations, another question is if he would really take the job? That’s impossible to know, but we know he wants to coach again. He’s hyper-competitive and wants to win a fourth National Championship at a third school. Could he find a situation better than UT? With a talented roster, new facilities, a defensive coordinator he’s won a trophy with, as well as an accomplished running backs coach he’s familiar with, Texas sets up quite well. If he doesn’t want the job, we’ll have to question whether he truly wants to work again, and that’s not Texas arrogance talking. UT really does have a solid foundation in place.

We know he wanted the Dallas Cowboys job even though his heart belongs to college football. He wants to coach again.

Some have speculated Oklahoma could come open. That would be a great situation for him but it’s unlikely there will be a vacancy in Norman. We heard last year Lincoln Riley turned down the Cowboys. We never corroborated it but we find it plausible. There’s also some fear OU would be more proactive than Texas. We don’t know why there’s an assumption now that Del Conte isn’t already being proactive.

In short, Meyer likely won’t have a better option than Texas. This will likely come down to money, and, well, there being a job opening.

3. Comprehensive process: If Meyer isn’t the guy, and if Herman doesn’t save his job, Del Conte and Hartzell will have a difficult decision on their hands. There is no clear alternative to Meyer but there are numerous potential candidates. Just whittling that group down to a manageable number will be difficult.

Last week we hinted at one common name becoming a plausible candidate. We’re still not putting his name out there but he and Del Conte have some familiarity with each other. You might leap to Sonny Dykes, but no, that’s not him. This is a more high profile coach.

Over the weekend we heard a couple of Tier 3 names: Billy Napier at the University of Louisiana and Luke Fickell at Cincinnati. That isn’t to say these coaches have already been back-channeled, just that there are people who consider them rising stars in the industry. The most telling thing is, the school seems to be operating on two tracks should a change need to be made. The names aren’t important, at least not yet.

Bolded point #1: It will take making Urban the highest-paid CFB coach in history? This shouldn't be a concern. Paying Urban $10M/year until he wants to quit is going to look like a bargain compared to what Charlie Strong and Tom Herman have been paid. I'm sure my numbers are off slightly but ...

• Strong cost Texas nearly $30M for three piss-poor seasons (including his Louisville buyout)
  • Herman does not survive this year it looks like we'll pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $42M for four seasons of Herman with no hardware

Please correct if my figures are incorrect. Gathered the info from quick Google search to refresh my memory on what they likely earned -- or are earning -- from us.

Bolded point #2:  It's Patterson?

Edited by C-Man

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Just fire him now...honestly this may be the best news. If CDC says its mandatory and the players leave the field then....

will smith college GIF

Truly. Herman's (and CDC's to an extent) handling of the EOT has been a disaster of leadership every step of the way. Nothing he has said or done has served either side and allowed it to linger and spiral out of control.

He failed his players on the issue and he failed the alumni. And he's a shitty coach who's also a dickhead. What are we even doing here at this point? Short of Michelle, he isn't bringing much to the table.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I would not at all be surprised to see the team run the table on the regular season, believe it or not.

It's really amazing that running the table in either direction -- winning out or losing out -- does not seem out of the realm of possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I would not at all be surprised to see the team run the table on the regular season, believe it or not.

That's lazy. After the first 3 seasons and these 4 games you would not be surprised? GTFO. You fear that scenario and all of us would be very surprised to see Tom lead an 6-0 run over the best-shitty teams of our conference. 

38 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

No.  Fuck Baylor.

We want Yurcich to have to miss the game for whatever reason and Herman announces he will call plays, all of Baylor's scholarship players on defense to get food poisoning immediately after the coin flip forcing them to play all walk ons on that side of the ball, the Texas offense to rack up -49 yards of offense with Tom calling plays, and the Texas defense to get a last minute safety to pull out a 2-0 win. 

Fuck Baylor.  Fuck Tom Herman.

ah, the little known Negative Watson

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Fuck this asshole

To be fair, aside from the Sugar Bowl win, this team has never been in a really good place under Herman.  So if he means "start the season with a loss to Maryland" kind of good place, maybe he is correct.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's really amazing that running the table in either direction -- winning out or losing out -- does not seem out of the realm of possibility.

For sure. It would be the most Herman thing imaginable to win a close game against OSU, lose the next week against West Virginia, and then squeak by Kansas in overtime. Every game on our schedule is a true toss-up so we likely are looking at 3/4 more losses but depending how our desperate onside kicks go that could swing hard to either extreme. 

14 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Truly. Herman's (and CDC's to an extent) handling of the EOT has been a disaster of leadership every step of the way. Nothing he has said or done has served either side and allowed it to linger and spiral out of control.

He failed his players on the issue and he failed the alumni. And he's a shitty coach who's also a dickhead. What are we even doing here at this point? Short of Michelle, he isn't bringing much to the table.

From that Chip article that has 4 Texas coaches on public record stating the expectations were laid out and given but only one hasn’t followed. I’d say that’s on Herman as an undisciplined piece of shit coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Herman's team is going to trash Texas over The Eyes debacle after he is fired.  "Tom was just trying to have his players' backs over the racist Texas song and Texas fired him in response!"
He is definitely positioning things this way, and I'm quite certain purposefully. It's basically the only leverage he has, outside of $.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm bearish on Dykes at Texas. I also think the more he wins at SMU and the more checks we cut him under the table the less likely he would be to even want the Texas job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, I'll take CDC's silence about his hot seat as a positive sign.  Normally we've seen AD make a statement with a vote of confidence for the head coach.  Looks like he's staying quiet right now trying to figure out how to fix this mess.

Maybe read a book and give an 8min report about it at a press conference...

FIRE FUCKIN HERMAN NOW !!!

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From that Chip article that has 4 Texas coaches on public record stating the expectations were laid out and given but only one hasn’t followed. I’d say that’s on Herman as an undisciplined piece of shit coach. 

You won't get any argument from me about that, that's literally what I'm saying. CDC is the AD though, ultimately he is accountable. He has to get a handle on this one way or another and the longer it plays out the worse it reflects on his ability to lead this athletic department. Also, as always, fuck Chip Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UncleSonny said:

You won't get any argument from me about that, that's literally what I'm saying. CDC is the AD though, ultimately he is accountable. He has to get a handle on this one way or another and the longer it plays out the worse it reflects on his ability to lead this athletic department. Also, as always, fuck Chip Brown.

You mean aside from instructing the coaches the expectations dating back to the summer and personally laying out those instructions in a team meeting just last week while the head coach sits in a corner sucking his thumb

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Herman's team is going to trash Texas over The Eyes debacle after he is fired.  "Tom was just trying to have his players' backs over the racist Texas song and Texas fired him in response!"

But if we don't fire him then Strong's former players will say we are racist for not holding Tom to the same standards we held Chuck. So no big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Yeah, it was obvious in the press conference that all Herman really cares about now is covering his own ass... He knows his job at TEXAS is "Dead Mensa Walking"

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, I'll take CDC's silence about his hot seat as a positive sign.  Normally we've seen AD make a statement with a vote of confidence for the head coach.  Looks like he's staying quiet right now trying to figure out how to fix this mess.

Yes.  

Herman just extended a big finger to Del Conte in the presser.  And it wasn't his index finger. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas