Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our last handful of fired coaches ended up at Purdue, Arizona, North Carolina, and South Florida.  Not exactly the murderer's row of job promotions unless you consider grifting a misguided athletic department/fanbase to be financial murder.  So yeah...

I've seen you post this a few times. I'm trying to understand its relevance here. Is it that you don't think Herman will wind up with a P5 job? Or you do? Beyond that, it appears as though you're harboring some premise in your head that after failing (or languishing in Brown's case) at Texas, a head coach should wind up somewhere better than the schools you referenced. Is that correct? It's a bizarre premise but I can't follow what other than that you're trying to convey.

Irrespective of whatever it is you're trying to say, Akers winding up at Purdue happened, what, 33 years ago? Mack Brown didn't have to do jack shit after leaving Texas. He sniffed around some other jobs, but didn't make any real pushes and enjoyed the spotlight on camera in a studio and doing color. UNC was actually a choice role for the guy. It's unclear to me what mentioning a school move 33 years ago does for any part of the discussion, or what implying that Mack Brown had to take an allegedly shitty role somewhere is accomplishing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He failed here and was slightly better than Strong who ended up at USF and failed there again.  I think his immaturity and his behavior at previous stops may hinder a program from touching him.  When you choose from two unproven candidates and one has a history of hitting up strip clubs, getting drunk, and sleeping with co-eds.... you're probably going to go with the safer candidate.  

Also, keep in mind... I'm sure the AD and everyone at Texas did everything to help Strong find a landing spot in the sense that most people didn't have anything bad to say about Charlie outside of the fact that he simply couldn't win here.  With Herman, I'm not sure you will find many people in the AD that will vouch for him or have anything good to say about him.  He'll end up at a G5 program.  I'd be shocked if a mid tier power 5 program touches him. 

Didn't Charlie fuck us over on the USF contract?

Sorry, every post on here, without fail moves the conversation forward in clear, concise, and productive manners.  There is absolutely not one wasted word on the Tom Herman thread, except mine. 

My point is simply we have a long-standing habit of giving guys the job and they end up fucking it up and moving on to less green pastures.  Obviously, to your point, what happened 33 years ago, is not terribly relevant today.  But you can look out over decades with a college football powerhouse fanbase and see a trend.  Our fanbase, while older and more diverse...simply does not care as deeply about championships as they pretend they do.  We say we care but our results do not bear that out over the last 35 years, nor do the coaching decisions we've made.  

Fine, it accomplishes nothing.  I'll let you get back to changing the football landscape at Texas, sorry for my wasted 1/1,000,000,000th kilobyte of data on this site.  High five.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Sorry, every post on here, without fail moves the conversation forward in clear, concise, and productive manners.  There is absolutely not one wasted word on the Tom Herman thread, except mine. 

My point is simply we have a long-standing habit of giving guys the job and they end up fucking it up and moving on to less green pastures.  Obviously, to your point, what happened 33 years ago, is not terribly relevant today.  But you can look out over decades with a college football powerhouse fanbase and see a trend.  Our fanbase, while older and more diverse...simply does not care as deeply about championships as they pretend they do.  We say we care but our results do not bear that out over the last 35 years, nor do the coaching decisions we've made.  

Fine, it accomplishes nothing.  I'll let you get back to changing the football landscape at Texas, sorry for my wasted 1/1,000,000,000th kilobyte of data on this site.  High five.

I think you're confusing the fanbase with the people who make these hiring decisions.

• Like 1

Didn't Charlie fuck us over on the USF contract?

Either he fucked us over or we fucked ourselves over, or maybe a bit of both. Would love to hear one of the surly lawyers interpretation of how that was able to go down.

After the shit he and Wickline pulled with his title and the osu contract, no one should really have been surprised.

Edit to add, the only thing that gives me slight joy from the while usf/Strong contract debacle is that they probably thought they were taking advantage of us, but later learned Strong was taking advantage of all sides. No matter how cheap he seemed when they hired him, they still massively overpaid. That's what they get for trying to fuck over another school with a shitty contract arrangement like that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

The IT Scoop today was

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

Basically seem like if Urban wants it the job is his. Money shouldnt be a problem although the optics will look bad. 

My favorite quote "Some of the most instrumental people in bringing him to Texas are out on him for much the same reasons the fans are. It’s hard to overstate the level of frustration with Herman from people who have influence over his immediate future." Firing him mid season is definitely not off the table. 

So we’re all Baylor fans this weekend?

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Either he fucked us over or we fucked ourselves over, or maybe a bit of both. Would love to hear one of the surly lawyers interpretation of how that was able to go down.

After the shit he and Wickline pulled with his title and the osu contract, no one should really have been surprised.

Edit to add, the only thing that gives me slight joy from the while usf/Strong contract debacle is that they probably thought they were taking advantage of us, but later learned Strong was taking advantage of all sides. No matter how cheap he seemed when they hired him, they still massively overpaid. That's what they get for trying to fuck over another school with a shitty contract arrangement like that.

Yeah, I'm just trying to say Charlie may not be the best guy in the world.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You realize that photo is shopped, dont you? Or are you a complete moron?

Calm down Florence, no need to get all bent out of shape. Yes I know it was shopped but I did not think the date was shopped because there was no reason to think that was part of the joke when I looked at it. If you do not want people making assumptions about your pay stub one idea would be to say, not post your pay stub in the first place on a message board. Clownish behavior always gets treated accordingly on this site. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to say Charlie may not be the best guy in the world.

I think it was just a smart move by Charlie and USF just for how poorly Charlie’s contract was probably drafted up by Patterson and company. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So after getting fired by Texas you expected them to land an equal or better job than the one they were fired from? None of the guys mentioned by you were unjustly let go IMO. And if they'd gone somewhere else and kicked ass -- or simply done well -- then they might've been able to move to a better gig if they wanted. None ever accomplished that. Herman has youth on his side, though.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I just asked for clarity, which you provided, and disputed a couple of the examples you used. I don't remember saying you were wasting our time, and I don't see much thread policing going on with any of us except for running over Greenspoint, and backing up, and running over him again, from all sides. So, yeah, you seem a bit high strung right now. 

To your actual point, I guess I don't agree fully. If your point was the AD doesn't care as much about winning as we'd like to believe, I'm with you, but you're conflating the fanbase with the AD. Dodds figured out that he was going to be rewarded by the administration and big money if he was creating enough revenue to build whatever we wanted within the org. Somewhere along the way, the importance of revenue and political handholding took priority over winning, which empowered someone like Plonsky to become the insipid monster that she became. The serendipitous hiring of the trio of Garrido, Brown, and Barnes in a single year's time ended up being appropriate salves for the wounded fanbase by the late 90's, which cannot be ignored when you reference "35+ years". There's a pretty big break in the middle there, where we won as much as damned near anyone for about 12-15 years. 

That doesn't translate into the fanbase or alums being content to wallow in mediocrity in the big 3 sports into perpetuity by 2020. Texas is doing what any school should be doing when it comes to losing. Rinse and repeat on the coaching front until you find the right guy, and do so relentlessly. Recruiting cannot cover for bad coaching. Neither can revenue or ratings. Other schools face these same problems and hiring the right guy constantly proves harder than it has to be at most places not named Ohio State. Bama wandered in the wilderness for separate 10+ year stretches. USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Nebraska, so on and so forth. Miami had a fortuitous run that ended. OU has done better than most, Gibbs/Schnelly/Blake now far in the rear view. OSU has done so well for 80+ years that it's enviable on any level. Everybody else deals with the same shit, and it's not because fanbases don't care. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it was just a smart move by Charlie and USF just for how poorly Charlie’s contract was probably drafted up by Patterson and company. 

In my mind I imagine Steve Patterson balking at the idea of paying $10K-$20K in legal fees to have a third party review Strong's employment agreement to save money.  Then be on the hook for millions when they eff something up 3-4 years down the road because of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The IT Scoop today was

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

Basically seem like if Urban wants it the job is his. Money shouldnt be a problem although the optics will look bad. 

My favorite quote "Some of the most instrumental people in bringing him to Texas are out on him for much the same reasons the fans are. It’s hard to overstate the level of frustration with Herman from people who have influence over his immediate future." Firing him mid season is definitely not off the table. 

happy the office GIF

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

In my mind I imagine Steve Patterson balking at the idea of paying $10K-$20K in legal fees to have a third party review Strong's employment agreement to save money.  Then be on the hook for millions when they eff something up 3-4 years down the road because of it. 

Oh, but we had the genius of Steve Hank.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Charlie was going to get paid the same amount regardless.  His USF contract would just offset our buyout obligation.  I would guess it was more a move on USF's part than his.

Herman will be just fine at a G5 school, in fact he likely thrives there.  What he delivers is perfectly fine, if not better than fine in that venue.  Beat most of the teams most of the time, lose some what the fuck games that G5 schools don't care about as much because they are not trying to compete for the CFP realistically anyway and occasionally fire up the base by jumping up and beating a big dog.  

It's frankly why the hiring thought of "oh coach X upset team Y when he shouldn't have at a G5 school." should never even cross our minds.  If I had two G5 coaches I was looking at I would rather hire the one who went 8-0 in conference, and 1-2 in non-conference losing to two P5 schools then one who went 6-2 in conference and 3-0 in non conference with a big P5 upset.  Frankly we should never consider a G5 coach again UNLESS they are skull-fucking their conference over and over and over.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

What evidence do we even have at this point that Urban is interested? Id say that the only evidence we have is that we haven't heard outright that he isn't.

clearly you weren't watching Fox Big Noon Kickoff pregame show. He had an orange tie! Orange!

TLeTh9.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mack Brown didn't have to do jack shit after leaving Texas. He sniffed around some other jobs, but didn't make any real pushes and enjoyed the spotlight on camera in a studio and doing color. 

Didn't hurt that Texas continued paying him $500,000 year for doing absolutely nothing.  With the exception of an occasional sightseeing trip.

CDENjxrUEAE5ksJ?format=jpg&name=medium

11 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Id say that the only evidence we have is that we haven't heard outright that he isn't.

I'd say you are correct. Outside a few hints here and there from people saying he'd be interested, we haven't heard anything concrete (unless I skipped something/my brain has been formatted after Greenspoint Day yesterday). But it's something that there hasn't been an effort to shut that down, like there would be if it were false. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd say you are correct. Outside a few hints here and there from people saying he'd be interested, we haven't heard anything concrete (unless I skipped something/my brain has been formatted after Greenspoint Day yesterday). But it's something that there hasn't been an effort to shut that down, like there would be if it were false. 

He wore an orange tie...basically a lock. Also we have video of him at dinner. Contract is signed at this point

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

What evidence do we even have at this point that Urban is interested? Id say that the only evidence we have is that we haven't heard outright that he isn't.

That's good enough for me.

But, I will say that he stepped down from UF due to medical issues and didn't know if he would coach again.  He stepped down at OSU for completely different reasons, although I think his "health" helped cushion the departure for OSU.  I think if the Zach Smith stuff never happened, he would still be coaching there.  I have always expected him to take another job, I just didn't expect it to be Texas.

The FCB podcast was definitely worth the listen (The Flagship from 247 posted last Friday).  I rarely listen to it, so hat tip to whoever recommended it.  It was basically 30 minutes of a lead OSU reporter talking about Urban.  My takeaway was that Urban would likely be interested as long as we were.  He talked a lot about LA vs Austin and seemed to lean toward Urban liking Texas better than USC if it came down to that.

40 minutes ago, Brock Sampson said:

So we’re all Baylor fans this weekend?

No.  Fuck Baylor.

We want Yurcich to have to miss the game for whatever reason and Herman announces he will call plays, all of Baylor's scholarship players on defense to get food poisoning immediately after the coin flip forcing them to play all walk ons on that side of the ball, the Texas offense to rack up -49 yards of offense with Tom calling plays, and the Texas defense to get a last minute safety to pull out a 2-0 win. 

Fuck Baylor.  Fuck Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

We have a couple of fuzzy photos of somebody who may or may not be Urban at what looks like a backyard cookout over the weekeend, or maybe the phots were from a year ago.

What more do you want???  Jeez.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is doing what any school should be doing when it comes to losing. Rinse and repeat on the coaching front until you find the right guy, and do so relentlessly.

It would be nice if we would (just once) not fall all over ourselves to reward the latest hire with an extension at the very first sign of success (see Smart, Shaka and Herman, Tom). At least on the football front, we aren't losing somebody to another college gig. (I throw all this out the window if we're talking about Urban Meyer.)

• Like 1

On mobile. Don’t know how to spoiler

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

A year ago, almost to the date, we wrote this to assuage any fears Tom Herman wouldn’t make substantial changes to his coaching staff.

The expected overhaul occurred and Tom Herman was given a new lease on life. Of course that lease didn’t last very long and now athletic director Chris Del Conte finds himself in a similar situation to last year, just this time his focus will be on the head coach rather than coordinators and below.

Del Conte was hired at Texas for two reasons, to raise money and hire coaches. He understands the two go hand in hand. Hire good coaches and raising money becomes much more easier, particularly in the $100k group. Hiring a big name coach would bring more financial support from that donating demographic. The million-dollar bunch is usually around the rim already, but they’re currently sitting on their wallets when it comes to athletic donations.

The current climate has made it much harder to raise money, so even if it’s not his fault, Del Conte is failing to do the #1 thing he was hired to do. Fundraising hitting the wall is a fait accompli for Herman, unless he pulls off a miraculous run of winning. And even then, his job is still in danger. Del Conte won’t be taking the blame for his inability to raise money.

Donors who don’t wield heavy influence, but who cut large checks, all ask the same question: What about Urban Meyer? In the past, Meyer's history would preclude being hired at Texas. We’ve probably never reversed course more quickly on something we were so adamant on. That’s because the donors’ appetite changed almost overnight. At the same time, Texas has a new school president in Jay Hartzell who is a friend to athletics in general and football in particular. While it wouldn’t be accurate to say he’s beating the drum for Meyer, we’ve heard he’s open to it.

We know Del Conte’s open to it because a hire like that fulfills both of his main obligations: raising money and making excellent coaching hires.

SCENARIOS

While you play A Tribe Called Quest in your head, we’ll update the current scenarios we outlined in the recent Humidor.

Here we go, yo.

1. Option #1: Not to confuse Meyer being likely, but we were early to say the hire is at least possible. Because of that, the early signals were coming through loud and clear. We were able to corroborate some key bits of news. As more catch on behind the scenes, the noise is starting to drown out the signal. Rumor SZN is upon us. Everybody has heard something it seems, but unfortunately the info doesn’t always align. Our best sources on the matter, however, are in a holding pattern. That is to say, the hire is still doable.

If top brass deems it’s time to move on from Herman, buyout money won’t be an issue for a quality hire. Funding a hire as ambitious as Meyer could be a bit more difficult. There are a lot of ways to make the numbers work, however, and if a realistic number is negotiated, the school will find a way to ante up. If this were to come to fruition, the politics wouldn’t look great for the school. A lot of people don’t understand ROI, sadly.

Aside the financial considerations, another question is if he would really take the job? That’s impossible to know, but we know he wants to coach again. He’s hyper-competitive and wants to win a fourth National Championship at a third school. Could he find a situation better than UT? With a talented roster, new facilities, a defensive coordinator he’s won a trophy with, as well as an accomplished running backs coach he’s familiar with, Texas sets up quite well. If he doesn’t want the job, we’ll have to question whether he truly wants to work again, and that’s not Texas arrogance talking. UT really does have a solid foundation in place.

We know he wanted the Dallas Cowboys job even though his heart belongs to college football. He wants to coach again.

Some have speculated Oklahoma could come open. That would be a great situation for him but it’s unlikely there will be a vacancy in Norman. We heard last year Lincoln Riley turned down the Cowboys. We never corroborated it but we find it plausible. There’s also some fear OU would be more proactive than Texas. We don’t know why there’s an assumption now that Del Conte isn’t already being proactive.

In short, Meyer likely won’t have a better option than Texas. This will likely come down to money, and, well, there being a job opening.

2. Herman saves his job: At this time it’s hard to fathom this scenario. To his credit, his players still believe in him, but try as we might, we haven’t found much support for him otherwise.

Some of the most instrumental people in bringing him to Texas are out on him for much the same reasons the fans are. It’s hard to overstate the level of frustration with Herman from people who have influence over his immediate future.

It’s morbid to talk about, and for all his faults we hate writing it. But we can’t discuss the future of Texas football without this being in the record.

We don’t know the likelihood that Herman could be removed in-season, but we have heard it’s not off the table. Typically that’s a no-go but recruiting and roster considerations aren’t what they once were. A protracted search must begin much earlier in the calendar otherwise the carcass will be picked of what quality meat remains.

3. Comprehensive process: If Meyer isn’t the guy, and if Herman doesn’t save his job, Del Conte and Hartzell will have a difficult decision on their hands. There is no clear alternative to Meyer but there are numerous potential candidates. Just whittling that group down to a manageable number will be difficult.

Last week we hinted at one common name becoming a plausible candidate. We’re still not putting his name out there but he and Del Conte have some familiarity with each other. You might leap to Sonny Dykes, but no, that’s not him. This is a more high profile coach.

Over the weekend we heard a couple of Tier 3 names: Billy Napier at the University of Louisiana and Luke Fickell at Cincinnati. That isn’t to say these coaches have already been back-channeled, just that there are people who consider them rising stars in the industry. The most telling thing is, the school seems to be operating on two tracks should a change need to be made. The names aren’t important, at least not yet.

RECRUITING

Running back

L.J. Johnson, Cy Fair

Texas had surged to the top over Texas A&M, LSU, and Georgia prior to the season, and the Longhorns were extremely close to receiving a verbal. Now, the Longhorns are fighting to remain in the mix and delay Johnson's decision behind the work of Stan Drayton and Bryan Carrington. It’s imperative Drayton and Carrington keep their hooks in Johnson while the coaching uncertainty plays out.

Wide receiver

Dont’e Thornton, Mount Saint Joseph (MD)

The Longhorns were making headway in this recruitment prior to the back-to-back losses. Oregon has been considered the front runner over North Carolina and Notre Dame prior to Texas and Georgia jumping in with both feet. This decision will be getting away from home as much as football with a decision expected this week.

Keon Coleman, Opelousas (LA)

More below.

Offensive line

Savion Byrd, Duncanville

Texas has quietly continued to work to get Byrd to make a student visit to Austin, but remains behind Oklahoma, SMU, and LSU and is considered a long shot.

Byrd’s former offensive line coach Marcus Graham is now the head coach at Beaumont United and had this to say about Byrd last week.

“He’s going to play on Sundays. He’s gotten a lot bigger and is now more than a great frame. He’s an intelligent kid. He works at it.”

Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor

Heading into the season Oklahoma was considered the favorite with Texas quietly running second or third with Texas A&M and Oregon in the hunt. Both OU and UT have struggled, while A&M is off to a better than expected start. Given his good relationship with Hand, and Hand very, very unlikely to be retained, we’re barely watching this one.

Defensive line

Shemar Turner, DeSoto

Texas made up ground over the summer to the point of one person close to the recruitment placing the Longhorns in front, but the performance on the field this season has placed Texas A&M comfortably in the driver's seat with Alabama lurking.

Byron Murphy II, DeSoto

After missing on Albert Regis, Texas has made contact with the DeSoto staff about offering Murphy. To this point, Murphy hasn’t shown signs of budging off his commitment to Baylor.

David Abiara, Mansfield Legacy

The Notre Dame “soft commit” continues to be a target of the Texas staff, with continued communication with both Abiara and family. Abiara mentioned in September that Texas would likely be the pick if not the Fighting Irish. SMU’s Randall Joyner continues to be in contact as well, and the Mustangs continue to believe they have a chance for the flip.

Je’Lin Samuels, Sam Rayburn

The 6-foot-6, 225-pound senior defensive end surprised many by committing to SMU last week. The timing of his announcement happened to be literally hours before Texas planned to offer, and when the interest from Texas A&M was nearing that point, too. Arizona State, Colorado, and Houston had offered in recent days along with SMU. This is a recruitment that IT doesn’t feel like is a wrap.

Ike Iwunnah, Lakeview Centennial

With Regis committed to A&M, and Turner possibly following suit, Texas needs interior help in the class. We won’t be surprised if this recruitment heats up after Iwunnah was offered months ago.

Linebacker

Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek

Cooks is planning to announce his commitment in November, and the Longhorns continue to be squarely in the mix along with Baylor and LSU. This was a recruitment that IT felt strongly about Texas winning out in September, but the product on the field matters.

KEON COLEMAN

Texas continues to look for outside receivers in the 2021 class. It’s been a journey thus far.

UT offered the 6-foot-4, 200-pounder from Opelousas (LA) Catholic following his decommittment from Kansas. Coleman currently holds 40 offers, including Georgia, Auburn, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Miami.

In 2019, the four-star wideout had 1,143 yards and 22 touchdowns on 35 catches. That's 32.6 ypc. He added seven INTs on defense as well and excels on the hardwood as a Division I level point guard.

He has a lot of responsibilities in 2020, namely getting back to the playoffs.

"We are finding ourselves after losing nine of our defensive starters last year," said Coleman. "There isn't one school on the schedule we won't be ready for."

All the schools are in the "same boat" as others, according to Coleman, but he's got his eyes on a few programs.

"(Texas) is a great school," said Coleman. "They are good at getting the ball to their big receivers."

TCU is also on his mind.

"I've been listening to (Malcolm Kelly, TCU WR coach)," Coleman said. "We're supposed to chop it up again soon."

It's hard to gauge where UT stands early in this pursuit, but he's eager to listen to Texas and likes Andre Coleman. In most years, he'd probably attend LSU, but the Tigers have bigger fish on the line.

• Hook 'Em 3

What happens if we win out, including beating aggie in a bowl game by 35?

It could happen. I plan on taking Amber Heard to the bowl game. They can't be crazy enough for me. I'm going to have her give me an angry handy-j in the stands at the bowl game while the band play The Eyes. 

The IT Scoop today was

200.gif

He wants it. The question left is whether the money is right and the BMD’s will do it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas