Texas Opens -20 Vs. Tulsa

Wally Pryor

If we score anything less than 40. We are proper fucked.  If this game remains close at half time. We are beyond proper fucked. If this game ends 50-42 type of game. Calling a 2 win season at best.  We should realistically win 50-7. But I see Tulsa scoring first and making it a game 

20 points is way too high....in "reality" that is where it should be, but in REALITY with the offense they run it only takes a few fuck ups on D (like the first series against Maryland) and Tulsa scores 7

and with the offense Texas is running you can count on some 3 and outs.....shit Northwestern State put several sacks in aggy and with "as much as the Texas players want to win" who knows how bad they can step on their own dicks and if they can get their shit together and start taking control of the game like aggy did against a much shittier opponent

Tulsa may have sucked last year, but they were 10-3 the year before and played the Mensa Coogs pretty close in Houston in one of those losses and that was "da season" for tommy and the gang....and so far I see nothing that says this Texas team can play like that 2016 UH team and clearly they are not getting coached the same

the line on this game should probably be Texas by 9.5 based on the shit that Texas ran out there against Maryland

On 9/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, ClubWhatever said:

craig way mentioned while at pluckers that teams generally improve the most from week 1 to week 2.  I am not sure how that applies to this line however. 

I've heard this said many times, but the first time I heard it was John Mackovic after a solid but unimpressive win over a Rutgers team was would go on to a 0 11 season.   Unfortunately for Mackovic our second game was against UCLA.

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Possible trap game for Tulsa, as they're maybe looking ahead to Arkansas State next week. Longhorns have a shot. 

Yup.  They have their eyes set on Arkansas state championship.  They beat Central Arkansas, then need to beat Arkansas State in Week 3, and Arkansas in Week 7.  They'll definitely not give you guys much thought.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Rewatched that abortion through a quarter and a half.  Takeaways:

1.  Several of our upperclassmen just killed us:

--It can't be understated how bad Beck's blocking was in the first half.  He gave us no chance when we went to his side. 

--Another guy who didn't block for shit was Colin Johnson.  Watching him try to block someone is like watching a mime trying to break his way out of a fake glass case.  Thanks for costing us five yards on the first play from scrimmage because of a uniform violation, dumbass.  There hasn't been more wasted potential on the 40 Acres since Taylor Bible.

--Can someone tell me what the hell Davante Davis has ever done other than disappoint?  I'd rather put Cook in over there and get him the experience.  Boyce didn't impress, either.  

--Kris Boyd.  Holy hell.  I can't.  Catch the damn ball.

--Charles Omenihu is a JAG.

--Hager isn't nearly as good as some on this board were stating before the season began. 

3Third downs on defense were a complete disaster.  We had them in third and 6+ so many times.  Pass interference calls (Davis, Boyd), eyes in the backfield (Boyd), bringing pressure at the absolute wrong time.  Over and over and over, they extended the drive on third and long.  Orlando isn't catching enough heat for how bad our defensive calls were in the first half.  Why the hell are we bringing pressure on a mobile quarterback who has questionable accuracy in third and long?

6.  Sam was just awful.  Just terrible.  No accuracy at all, poor decision making.  He was worse than I remembered.  I don't know how much of that to lay on the wide receivers, but hell.  After the rewatch, I'm read to see Shane Rising. Even with the improvements on the offensive line, Shane would have to get out of trouble several times a game.  He'll self-sack out of instinct.  I understand why Tom doesn't want to put Shane in.  We are just screwed at quarterback.  

7.  The positives?  Stearns and Foster.  Keontay Ingram.  McCulloch played decent.  Gary Johnson is still a beast.  Brandon Jones on punt returns.  We didn't have to attempt a field goal.  Chris Nelson played well, and Taquon Graham did some good things.  Jamison is going to be good.  

I had a pretty substantial worry about Omenihu and Hager over the summer. Omenihu has never taken over a game or even over a series, and I was confused why so much stock was being put into his development (he *looks* the part, like Naashon did). Unlike Chris, Hager actually has made a few splash plays during his time at UT, but not enough to warrant me penciling him in as an All-Big 12 pick. He showed the same undisciplined approach on the first drives against the jet sweep that he showed us 2 years ago. Neither of these guys are the 2nd coming of Brian Orakpo, which is understandable, but neither are they the 2nd coming of Sergio Kindle. Ok, 2nd round pick, that's understandable too, but are they the 2nd coming of Jackson Jeffcoat or Alex Okafor at least? No. Them neither. I think we've forgotten what a caliber DE looks like.

Boyd is still the exact same headcase he has always been. Davante has always been a solid tackler and lost as shit in coverage. Guess what he showed Saturday? Nothing new. These are the things that disappointed me most. All this talk of development but they looked the exact damn same on the field. Same 'inflatable flailing arm man' act when the ball is in the air, with the head turn always a count too late to avoid the flag. It's bullshit.

Pick: We might cover the spread, and I'll be assuaged for a week, but if we lose close to USC again with a valiant effort, we won't be jacking each other off this time, because then MENSA's claims of us not being the same team as last year look even worse.

Edited by BurdineBandit

6 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

--It can't be understated how bad Beck's blocking was in the first half.  He gave us no chance when we went to his side. 

--Another guy who didn't block for shit was Colin Johnson.  Watching him try to block someone is like watching a mime trying to break his way out of a fake glass case.  Thanks for costing us five yards on the first play from scrimmage because of a uniform violation, dumbass.  There hasn't been more wasted potential on the 40 Acres since Taylor Bible.

--Can someone tell me what the hell Davante Davis has ever done other than disappoint?  I'd rather put Cook in over there and get him the experience.  Boyce didn't impress, either.  

--Hager isn't nearly as good as some on this board were stating before the season began.  

2.  The Cowart guy for Maryland had his way with our right tackles.  The kid was a five star out of college, and showed why against both Kerstetter and Cosmi.  

3Third downs on defense were a complete disaster.  We had them in third and 6+ so many times.  Pass interference calls (Davis, Boyd), eyes in the backfield (Boyd), bringing pressure at the absolute wrong time.  Over and over and over, they extended the drive on third and long.  Orlando isn't catching enough heat for how bad our defensive calls were in the first half.  Why the hell are we bringing pressure on a mobile quarterback who has questionable accuracy in third and long?

4.  Maryland held us all day on those jet sweeps.  Not that it matters, but they got away with so much holding.  I actually admire how they were able to do it just slightly enough to not get called, while highly affecting our ability to defend the play. 

5.  Punting.  Holy hell.  

6.  Sam was just awful.  Just terrible.  No accuracy at all, poor decision making.  He was worse than I remembered.  I don't know how much of that to lay on the wide receivers, but hell.  After the rewatch, I'm read to see Shane Rising. Even with the improvements on the offensive line, Shane would have to get out of trouble several times a game.  He'll self-sack out of instinct.  I understand why Tom doesn't want to put Shane in.  We are just screwed at quarterback.  

7.  The positives?  Stearns and Foster.  Keontay Ingram.  McCulloch played decent.  Gary Johnson is still a beast.  Brandon Jones on punt returns.  We didn't have to attempt a field goal.  Chris Nelson played well, and Taquon Graham did some good things.  Jamison is going to be good.  

Good post. 

I thought Calvin Anderson was very good.

23 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

Doesnt matter how bad we beat them or how good we perform, we will try to be perfect and shit the bed against better competition.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

The team "trying to be to perfect" is the most asinine thing I have ever heard a coach say.  

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

The team "trying to be to perfect" is the most asinine thing I have ever heard a coach say.  

It’s right up there with “ scares you to death”

the fact that a head coach getting pId millions of dollars per year would publically say any of these things 

should b e grounds for dismissal if there was a “ no confidence” clause in their contacts.

Knowing the way Herman operates he'll most likely screw up his chance with a slut. He'll show up with flowers, take her to a nice seafood dinner, then proceed to bore her to death talking about literature. In an effort to seal the deal, he'll ask to look at her pee to see if she's hydrated enough to get on the Mensa train. 

• Haha 1

This game is exactly where it should be on our schedule. Unfortunately it tells you that when the schedule was put together, there was already concern in the room about which team would follow the Maryland game. 

You can also count on a much better rhythm from both the offense and defense. I expect production from the RB, along with some nice catches sprinkled around.

What we can’t count on is more of the same strange substitutions, play calls and inconsistent QB play. And that bothers me.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Ghost of Shag said:

2.  The Cowart guy for Maryland had his way with our right tackles.  The kid was a five star out of college, and showed why against both Kerstetter and Cosmi.  

4.  Maryland held us all day on those jet sweeps.  Not that it matters, but they got away with so much holding.  I actually admire how they were able to do it just slightly enough to not get called, while highly affecting our ability to defend the play. 

5.  Punting.  Holy hell.  

About the only thing I agree with on this is that the game was an abortion, Sam was really bad, and the upper classmen killed us.

Cowart had two tackles....that's it, no hurries, no sacks, no TFL. Not sure how you call that having his way with our RT.

Bringing pressure on the QB was not the problem, because we almost never got home on our blitzes. Our DL was non existent in the pass rush.

Maryland didn't even block Hager at all on most jet sweeps. There is holding on every play, but our D beat itself on that play by being out of position and taking shitty angles.

Punting...Holy Hell...try and remember Dickson's first few games. I saw enough to be encouraged by our punter, but horrified by our blocking on the punt team.

The positives...the freshmen were pretty good, but Gary Johnson was non existent until he was ejected, then he was really non existent. Agree on Brandon on punt returns. Kicker was good on kick offs and extra points. Jamison touched the ball twice on offense and lost yards on each play, so not sure what you saw there.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 10:38 AM, Ghost of Shag said:

5.  Punting.  Holy hell.  

Should have watched more than a quarter and a half.  You'd have seen probably a 1/2 dozen more of that ill-fated WR screen by us,  thrown by a QB with limited arm strength, often thrown inaccurately, and thrown to a WR who instantaneously has a DB on top of him 3 yards behind the LOS because a pathetic attempt was made to block him.

I'll give Beck/Herman/Bozo or whoever the fuck is calling plays pretty much anything if they promise not to call that thing for the rest of the season.  Or at least until some attempts are made to remedy the shit that makes it a clusterfuck from the get-go. 

9 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

About the only thing I agree with on this is that the game was an abortion, Sam was really bad, and the upper classmen killed us.

Cowart had two tackles....that's it, no hurries, no sacks, no TFL. Not sure how you call that having his way with our RT.

Bringing pressure on the QB was not the problem, because we almost never got home on our blitzes. Our DL was non existent in the pass rush.

Maryland didn't even block Hager at all on most jet sweeps. There is holding on every play, but our D beat itself on that play by being out of position and taking shitty angles.

Punting...Holy Hell...try and remember Dickson's first few games. I saw enough to be encouraged by our punter, but horrified by our blocking on the punt team.

The positives...the freshmen were pretty good, but Gary Johnson was non existent until he was ejected, then he was really non existent. Agree on Brandon on punt returns. Kicker was good on kick offs and extra points. Jamison touched the ball twice on offense and lost yards on each play, so not sure what you saw there.

Stop being lazy and go watch the game, then tell me Cowart wasn't a problem.

Did you seriously just say, "Bringing pressure on the QB was not the problem, because we never got home on our blitzes..."  That's a problem in itself.  

I don't give a shit what happened in Dickson's first few games.  That has nothing to do with this game.  Stay on topic. 

You obviously didn't see Jamison almost bust a punt return for a touchdown, or see that he has an elusiveness nobody else on our team has.  

Finally...

Did you actually watch the game?  If so, were you drunk?

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Should have watched more than a quarter and a half.  You'd have seen probably a 1/2 dozen more of that ill-fated WR screen by us,  thrown by a QB with limited arm strength, often thrown inaccurately, and thrown to a WR who instantaneously has a DB on top of him 3 yards behind the LOS because a pathetic attempt was made to block him.

I'll give Beck/Herman/Bozo or whoever the fuck is calling plays pretty much anything if they promise not to call that thing for the rest of the season.  Or at least until some attempts are made to remedy the shit that makes it a clusterfuck from the get-go. 

Not sure what I'm missing here.  I saw the whole game.  Then rewatched the first quarter and a half.

Totally agree with you about the WR screens.  I just think we might have a little success there if, a) the ball is placed properly and b) it isn't Johnson trying to block.  

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Stop being lazy and go watch the game, then tell me Cowart wasn't a problem.

Did you seriously just say, "Bringing pressure on the QB was not the problem, because we never got home on our blitzes..."  That's a problem in itself.  

I don't give a shit what happened in Dickson's first few games.  That has nothing to do with this game.  Stay on topic. 

You obviously didn't see Jamison almost bust a punt return for a touchdown, or see that he has an elusiveness nobody else on our team has.  

Finally...

Did you actually watch the game?  If so, were you drunk?

I watched it, twice, and I was sober both times-Maybe that was the problem.

You said that Orlando should not have blitzed a mobile QB, and I said that didn't cause any issues, because they rarely got to him anyways. Our punter had one horrific punt, but he also had a great one that led directly to a safety.

Jamison didn't return a single punt, that was Brandon Jones...Were you drunk?

27 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I watched it, twice, and I was sober both times-Maybe that was the problem.

You said that Orlando should not have blitzed a mobile QB, and I said that didn't cause any issues, because they rarely got to him anyways. Our punter had one horrific punt, but he also had a great one that led directly to a safety.

Jamison didn't return a single punt, that was Brandon Jones...Were you drunk?

Ahh my apologies, it was a kickoff he returned.  I stand by the statement that his elusiveness and quickness is something nobody else on our offense has.  

We'll agree to disagree about blitzing the quarterback.  I absolutely believe it caused issues, because it emptied our backfield against a quarterback who isn't that accurate, anyway.  Why give him bigger lanes to throw into?  

Regardless, maybe I should have been drunk.  

For those saying that beating Tulsa won’t mean shit are clinically insane. I’ll write it off that you are all suffering from beaten dog syndrome.

Every win counts towards getting to a bowl game. Remember how good beating Mizzou felt even though it was a minor bowl? This program needs a shot in the arm to keep apathy from setting in before conference play.

A victory would be huge in restoring confidence in the players, I look at this as a very important game for the rest of the year.

3 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

For those saying that beating Tulsa won’t mean shit are clinically insane. I’ll write it off that you are all suffering from beaten dog syndrome.

Every win counts towards getting to a bowl game. Remember how good beating Mizzou felt even though it was a minor bowl? This program needs a shot in the arm to keep apathy from setting in before conference play.

A victory would be huge in restoring confidence in the players, I look at this as a very important game for the rest of the year.

A defeat would be a disaster that is for sure.

I will say that beating up on...um...San Jose State last year did seem to give the team some confidence for next month or so, so maybe you are right.

When I say it won't mean shit, I mean it won't indicate that the team has improved. They could play with the same level against Tulsa that they did against Maryland and still win. Obviously it might mean something for the team's psychological state.