Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

One day this might matter half a shit, but for now everyone talks about punishing those that take big money but very few actually follow through with it.

It's the same deal with Congress having a 20% approval rate but incumbents win 99.9% of the time.  All talk... no follow through from the peasant class.

This is why I think Beto will do better in debates than people think. He has so many talking points that will be hard for Cruz to deflect. "All of my money has come from interested citizens. Why does most of your money come from corporations and PACs?" My prediction is that this race will become abortion-palooza 2018. Cruz sucks a fat one and will have to get his base motivated on an issue that Beto won't be able to talk his way out of. I expect him to hammer that issue daily. 

Yeah but Kennedy was politician hot himself.  He wasn't much of a looker when put in the proper context of the male population. He was just hot in comparison to most of his colleagues. He's like Jim Halpert hot.  Good looking guy in your office (comparatively), but you likely wouldn't even notice him if you passed him in the street and didn't know who he was.  

Her statement and your statement side by side — classic straight woman; gay man comparison. I don’t like dudes but she had me going yeah of course. I read yours and thought, I don’t notice really anyone I just walk right by. Lulzmao.

http://time.com/longform/beto-orourke-texas-democratic-senate-race/

In the past seven days, the 45-year-old Democratic Congressman has clocked nearly a thousand miles across the state. Tonight, after a town hall in Uvalde, an hour away, he gets to go home. Small towns have been O’Rourke’s favored terrain since he launched a bid to unseat Republican Ted Cruz as the Lone Star State’s junior Senator nearly 14 months ago....He has spent more time than any other Democrat in recent memory visiting towns across Texas, including all 254 counties.

I guess he's made it to all of the counties now.  That's fucking impressive, you have to give it to him whether you like him or not.  It's absolutely commendable that someone running for this position has clearly made such a point of visiting the entire place.

• Like 1

More and more Beto yard signs popping up in western round rock and cedar park. Could mean nothing, but I can’t remember seeing anything like this for a dem before.

I live in lakeway and the Democrats and liberal/progressives usually stay quiet, but what I think we are seeing is staunchly republican suburbs are moving a few percentage points more blue. Could be immigrants from Cali or could be the republicans are idiots when it comes to school safety, and other issues.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

My prediction is that this race will become abortion-palooza 2018. Cruz sucks a fat one and will have to get his base motivated on an issue that Beto won't be able to talk his way out of. I expect him to hammer that issue daily. 

Either abortion or guns or both. Hell, see El Wappo earlier in this thread, that's what had him freaked out.

Edit: Or the tired "Friend of Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi line", coming from a guy blowing the orange monkey.

Edited by relapse98

Cruz used to be my #1 most hated politician but the way he went from ultimate defender against the Trump takeover to a quisling in like a week has added an element of comedy about him that has softened my view. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I live in lakeway and the Democrats and liberal/progressives usually stay quiet, but what I think we are seeing is staunchly republican suburbs are moving a few percentage points more blue. Could be immigrants from Cali or could be the republicans are idiots when it comes to school safety, and other issues.

Probably not true for Lakeway but other burbs are getting people that vote like they live in Austin but just can’t afford the hip hoods. Wilco barely went for trump.

i'm presently stuck in a staunchly reactionary area, and i'm seeing quite a number of beto signs in yards and on pickup trucks.  can't remember when i last saw one for cruz.  i mean, this area you can usually throw a rock and hit a nutjob, but the public show, at least, is all beto.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Probably not true for Lakeway but other burbs are getting people that vote like they live in Austin but just can’t afford the hip hoods. Wilco barely went for trump.

western travis county was within 10 points I think.  lots of west coast folks here that can live central but want the hills and water.  school safety is becoming a wedge issue that works against the R's with suburban moms.  I don't know any mom that's happy with R's position on guns.

Edited by troph

8 minutes ago, troph said:

western travis county was within 10 points I think.  lots of west coast folks here that can live central but want the hills and water.  school safety is becoming a wedge issue that works against the R's with suburban moms.  I don't know any mom that's happy with R's position on guns.

The western Travis County vote, particularly college educated women, is where I think the action is. I believe college educated suburban women are going to play a large role in November.

The western Travis County vote, particularly college educated women, is where I think the action is. I believe college educated suburban women are going to play a large role in November.

Most here know my back story. I’ve met zero resistance out here. Everyone knows I’m gay and many know the rest of it. I’m sure some quiet haters but for the most part the moms I see are furious about guns, supporters of hashtag metoo and are sympathetic to social issues and opposed to discrim of at least gays generally. The Republicans are losing these otherwise conservative leaning moms - even in affluent conservative suburbs - at a break-neck rate. The men are another story. The number of male Trump supporters out here is astonishing, I think mostly on taxes. They love their recent tax break.

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Most here know my back story. I’ve met zero resistance out here. Everyone knows I’m gay and many know the rest of it. I’m sure some quiet haters but for the most part the moms I see are furious about guns, supporters of hashtag metoo and are sympathetic to social issues and opposed to discrim of at least gays generally. The Republicans are losing these otherwise conservative leaning moms - even in affluent conservative suburbs - at a break-neck rate. The men are another story. The number of male Trump supporters out here is astonishing, I think mostly on taxes. They love their recent tax break.

That’s more than anecdotal. 

Greenberg’s report provided a telling comment about how the Trump presidency has affected attitudes, particularly among college-educated women. 

“The anti-Trump voters are consolidated and motivated to resist the Trump presidency,” his report states. “They are seeking out tools and information to win arguments and maximize their engagement and are increasingly intent to vote. The college-graduate women seemed as much a base, anti-Trump group as the African Americans.”

The report also described the effect of these changes on men who supported and continue to support Trump. Unlike women, the attitudes of the men have hardly changed over time. They remain all in with the president.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/when-it-comes-to-trump-men-and-women-remain-far-apart/2018/05/21/61d32e52-5925-11e8-858f-12becb4d6067_story.html

9 minutes ago, troph said:

It's all fun and games until their banks get overextended.

4 hours ago, troph said:

I live in lakeway and the Democrats and liberal/progressives usually stay quiet....

Unless it involves screeching about the INHUMANE SLAUGHTER OF THE BEAUTIFUL PEACEFUL DEER BY THE FACIST CITY COUNCIL on nextdoor.

Oh, and no shit, the last nextdoor thread I saw on that topic devolved into some guy throwing bombs about abortion and democrats killing babies.

smdh

Edited by Anastasis

Unless it involves screeching about the INHUMANE SLAUGHTER OF THE BEAUTIFUL PEACEFUL DEER BY THE FACIST CITY COUNCIL on nextdoor.

Oh, and no shit, the last nextdoor thread I saw on that topic devolved into some guy throwing bombs about abortion and democrats killing babies.

smdh

Dude the next door crowd is unrelenting regardless of political persuasion. I can’t even.

But no comment on deer - my girlfriend would make us quit the golf and tennis club if she knew what they do to the deer. Me? Not sure I care.

Side note are you living out here now??

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

WilCo is going to be interesting to watch the next few cycles. It's growing like wildfire, and a lot of these newcomers are from places like California, New York, Michigan, etc. The Ronald Reagan Corridor (Parmer) from 1431 out to 3405 is a giant cloud of construction dust and the homes are selling as fast as they can put them up. Not cheap little cracker boxes, either. 

The interesting thing is the Republicans still own the major intersections. If you stop at a red light, you'd think there were no Democrats running for office out here, but turn into the neighborhoods, and its a different story. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

It's not just that they are losing those moms.  It's that they, or at least Trump, are giving those moms a reason to vote against the GOP.

It's one thing to ignore a voting bloc or take them for granted.  It's an entirely different thing to give them a reason to vote for the other guy.

And for a current events example of this - witness Dannie Goeb out there blaming school shootings on abortion or doors or whatever.  That is not the kinds of things those moms want to hear.

Edited by atomheartbevo

It's not just that they are losing those moms.  It's that they, or at least Trump, are giving those moms a reason to vote against the GOP.
It's one thing to ignore a voting bloc or take them for granted.  It's an entirely different thing to give them a reason to vote for the other guy.
And for a current events example of this - witness Dannie Goeb out there blaming school shootings on abortion or doors or whatever.  That is not the kinds of things those moms want to hear.

It’s not what we want to hear. We end up tipsy on wine cussing his tone deaf ass out and throw our hands up and say we’ve had it.

Last time I was in Lakeway almost Every house had a thin blue line support for the police sign or light in the yard. It comes across as very conservative.

It’s not every house, but it is a conservative community especially the older crowd but it’s a rapidly turning community from retirement to school aged families. Also police support among affluent whites families is probably an entirely different issue than gun violence or other social issues.

Trump won by 10 points, yes its conservative. But it’s like the rest of these burbs. Fractures apparently everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

It may comfort you to feel that, but you’re sadly mistaken. I’ve known him for years. 

That makes a lot of sense. You know what they say..Birds of a feather, shit in each other's mouths forever. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pods said:

That makes a lot of sense. You know what they say..Birds of a feather, shit in each other's mouths forever. 

I’ve never heard that particular aphorism. VMW is a great guy that can become overly impassioned at times, which he will readily admit. 

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Ted-Cruz-wouldn-t-talk-to-kids-in-March-but-he-12935341.php

Ted Cruz getting bitched out in the Chronicle by a Cooper (Woodlands private school) sophomore

My senator wouldn't talk to kids in March, but he was willing to mourn them in May.

Goddamn, what a line.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There is very, very little that any politician has said in the last year and a half has said that's made me say "you're gotdamn right, and that's fucking worth fighting for."  But that just did.  I choose the Shining City on the Hill, not fucking Sauron's fortress:

latest?cb=20120626234618

I know that his odds are tough, but dammit, what he said above is the essence of what we're fighting for here.

• Like 3