The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This could go in any number of threads, but this seems an appropriate one.  Here is my theory on what is happening, especially with regards to Americans, but also around the world to some extent.

I really think that the internet and specifically social media have had a dire effect on the global psyche.  I really think a ton of people have disconnected from reality.  They treat it like it's a TV show, which sort of makes sense when you think about it.

You know when you get into your phone and the world continues around you, but those few minutes you completely zone out the real world?  It's a real thing.  I think it has destroyed some people's sense of reality.

It's extraordinarily dangerous.

Gee.... ya fucking think?

17 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Spouting off obvious untruths is no longer a mark of shame, because even basic historical and contemporary truths are not recognized. We seem to have a stable set of about 30% of Americans, 35% of white Americans, who are oblivious to political realities and incapable and unwilling to come to terms with any of our key social problems. The increasing control over public education by right-wing fanatics is entrenching ignorance and intellectual laziness in future generations. It does not bode well for the future of American democracy."

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/opinion/new-research-on-trump-voters-theyre-not-the-sharpest-tools-in-the-box/ar-AAVoNEA?ocid=sapphireappshare

I think this writer has been reading the collected works of Brisket:

" I wonder, though, at how much of this feeling has to do with the fact that white, straight people with American passports are now feeling the same sort of societal precarity that has long been the norm for people without those privileges. Climate catastrophes do not affect everyone equally, not even in close — but they do affect us all. People with means will still get abortions no matter what state they live in, but they will have to grapple with longer travel times to obtain them, and the particular trauma of being unable to obtain a D&E after a miscarriage. And trans kids and people are part of rich families, of working class families, of every type of family! You can’t buy your way out of a law that says that giving your kid gender-affirming care is a punishable crime.

Put differently: white people who have faced little adversity in their lives are beginning to grapple with what it means to suffer without cause, for reasons utterly outside of your control, in a way that feels abjectly unfair, with little or no recourse. All of this reminds me of the chorus of this is not who we are that rang out following the January 6th attack on the Capitol — and the equally strong chorus that responded this is exactly who ‘we’ are — you just haven’t previously been made to pay attention."

https://annehelen.substack.com/p/what-if-this-is-just-the-way-things?s=w

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

All of this reminds me of the chorus of this is not who we are that rang out following the January 6th attack on the Capitol — and the equally strong chorus that responded this is exactly who ‘we’ are — you just haven’t previously been made to pay attention."

Yea, verily.

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I think this writer has been reading the collected works of Brisket:

" I wonder, though, at how much of this feeling has to do with the fact that white, straight people with American passports are now feeling the same sort of societal precarity that has long been the norm for people without those privileges. Climate catastrophes do not affect everyone equally, not even in close — but they do affect us all. People with means will still get abortions no matter what state they live in, but they will have to grapple with longer travel times to obtain them, and the particular trauma of being unable to obtain a D&E after a miscarriage. And trans kids and people are part of rich families, of working class families, of every type of family! You can’t buy your way out of a law that says that giving your kid gender-affirming care is a punishable crime.

Put differently: white people who have faced little adversity in their lives are beginning to grapple with what it means to suffer without cause, for reasons utterly outside of your control, in a way that feels abjectly unfair, with little or no recourse. All of this reminds me of the chorus of this is not who we are that rang out following the January 6th attack on the Capitol — and the equally strong chorus that responded this is exactly who ‘we’ are — you just haven’t previously been made to pay attention."

https://annehelen.substack.com/p/what-if-this-is-just-the-way-things?s=w

tldr - American exceptionalism is a lie.

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

tldr - American exceptionalism is a lie.

The problem is....it's not entirely a lie.  The mythological version of it?  Yep.  

But the real, down-and-dirty true version of it -- a Republic with a unique history, a principled declaration of independence, and a groundbreaking written constitution that was both brilliant and flawed, but smart enough to include a mechanism acknowledging its flaws and shortcomings?  Add on to that our good fortune of geography, and our unique blend of various cultures (much of which makes us better....some of which makes us worse)?  Yes, the United States is exceptional, and there's a lot of proof in that pudding.  But ignoring the large chunks of shit still swimming around in that bowl  (e.g., the original sin of slavery, and then the compounded sin of Jim Crow and the ongoing effect on a huge percentage of our American brothers and sisters...as just one example) is our real problem.

The US is very good.  Exceptional in some respects, even.  But we shouldn't believe our own bullshit too much, we should realize that plenty of other countries have it going on, too, and we always need to be striving to be BETTER if we are to hold on to any exceptionalism that we might actually have.

I don't hate this country.  I love it.  I am a patriot who would die for it.  But being a patriot means that you see it for what it is, and truly want it to be better.  Nothing ever got better -- or even stayed good -- by its people just sitting around crowing about how awesome it is and how dare you criticize any element of it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The US is very good.  Exceptional in some respects, even.  But we shouldn't believe our own bullshit too much, we should realize that plenty of other countries have it going on, too, and we always need to be striving to be BETTER if we are to hold on to any exceptionalism that we might actually have.

I don't hate this country.  I love it.  I am a patriot who would die for it.  But being a patriot means that you see it for what it is, and truly want it to be better.  Nothing ever got better -- or even stayed good -- by its people just sitting around crowing about how awesome it is and how dare you criticize any element of it.

Agree fully here.  Yet your last sentence is EXACTLY what the right has been doing for 50 years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don’t know why but it reminded me that ‘viral’ audio call from about a decade ago on ‘cancel the account’ 

24 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:
Ginni Thomas is batshit insane.  My god.

Well she is a Trump supporter/enabler. Probably dabbles in a little q-anon on the side as well.

Don't think there's a probably there. She does

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

Ok, a lot. I'm trying to keep myself off [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] ledge........ where we are living in a reality that a sitting US Supreme Court Justice's wife is a wacked out Q-anon believer.

Fuck me. Brisket, what can I bring as a ledge warming gift?

Not Ginni Thomas, that’s for damned sure.

35 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Ok, a lot. I'm trying to keep myself off @Brisketexan ledge........ where we are living in a reality that a sitting US Supreme Court Justice's wife is a wacked out Q-anon believer.

My suggestion would be a Lancashire Hot Pot and a dry white wine. There's already a collection of potent potables on hand.

Lots of toasts on hand while the apocalypse nears.

A bonny lad on my arm,

A buxom lass on yours.

We'll make the night air full of laughs,

While the poteen pours.

Another toast:

Here's to Ginni, the Q-Anon ninny

She seems to have lost her way.

Though a woofer, Court may get a two-fer,

If old Clarence passes away.

Poor taste, but it's never a gathering without a few gaffes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Ok, a lot. I'm trying to keep myself off @Brisketexan ledge........ where we are living in a reality that a sitting US Supreme Court Justice's wife is a wacked out Q-anon believer.

Jim Bakker: My Doomsday Food Business Is Actually A Co-op - YouTube

**Jim Bakker not included

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jim Bakker, "And Jesus opened the bucket, and said, 'Eat this all of you, for this is my body.'  Hang on, I can't get the bucket open.  I AM TWISTING IT, LORI!  If I turn it any harder, I'm gonna crack the lid god dammit!  Lori, shut up!  Yes, I am aware of the goddamn irony of the last supper and this supper bucket intended to last you past the apocalypse!  No, these fucking rubes don't understand the paradox!  What?  We're still live?  Uh, ahem.  Jesus loves you, our operators are standing by."  

Jim Bakker, "And Jesus opened the bucket, and said, 'Eat this all of you, for this is my body.'  Hang on, I can't get the bucket open.  I AM TWISTING IT, LORI!  If I turn it any harder, I'm gonna crack the lid god dammit!  Lori, shut up!  Yes, I am aware of the goddamn irony of the last supper and this supper bucket intended to last you past the apocalypse!  No, these fucking rubes don't understand the paradox!  What?  We're still live?  Uh, ahem.  Jesus loves you, our operators are standing by."  

55ec2f30b0d95206cf75fb2b64f3685f.jpg

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

An oldie but really captures the ethos of GOP lawmaking.  Leopards eating face party and whatnot 

FOvWLCAVcAIMTkY?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

An oldie but really captures the ethos of GOP lawmaking.  Leopards eating face party and whatnot 

I don’t know about the circumstances there but I’m pro raw milk. We’d make better cheese without the regulation against it. France doesn’t have it and they aren’t suffering a health care crisis over it.

Remember several years back when a bunch of Republicans were freaking out because they thought Obama was going to kill our domestic cheese industry?

Good times.