The movie you just watched

F250

Their Finest - Gemma Arterton, Sam Claflin, Bill Nighly

A British WWII movie within a movie. Plot is Arterton is hired as a scriptwriter for "morale" films and stumbles on a sweet Dunkirk story about 2 sisters which turns out to be about 90% false. But this is the movies. Claflin is the lead writer and Nighly is the pompous, yet talented "name" actor in his waning days. It jumps from realtime to scenes from the film. Really good story, well made.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Just watched Defiance, again, on Netflix. Love that one.  Pretty damn beyond impressive keeping 1200+ people alive in the damn forest for over 3 years while be hunted like feral hogs.   Damn

It is always on my netflix recommended list but I've never seen it. I'll give it a shot

• 2 weeks later...

Larceny, Inc. 1942 Edward G. Robinson gangster/comedy.  Eddie, Edward Brophy and in his best performance ever, Broderick Crawford are a trio of fresh out the pen ex-cons trying to break into a bank but wind up running a wildly successful cover business. Anthony Quinn plays the heavy. Also features a very young Jackie Gleason. Excellent.

MV5BN2E1ODgwODEtNTAyYi00YzM3LWJlZjktNzgy

Edited by RPM

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Larceny, Inc. 1942 Edward G. Robinson gangster/comedy.  Eddie, Edward Brophy and in his best performance ever, Broderick Crawford are a trio of fresh out the pen ex-cons trying to break into a bank but wind up running a wildly successful cover business. Anthony Quinn plays the heavy. Also features a very young Jackie Gleason. Excellent.

MV5BN2E1ODgwODEtNTAyYi00YzM3LWJlZjktNzgy

I will watch just about anything with Edward G. Robinson in it.

I didn't see a thread for it, so I'll post here. I rented and watched Greenland last night with my wife and another couple. It stars Gerard Butler and involves a comet coming way, way too close to earth, unexpectedly. I had low expectations but the preview looked fun. I'm not going to call it a classic or anything, but it's a fun movie to watch if you're watching it with other people. Pretty intense for a popcorn movie.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't see a thread for it, so I'll post here. I rented and watched Greenland last night with my wife and another couple. It stars Gerard Butler and involves a comet coming way, way too close to earth, unexpectedly. I had low expectations but the preview looked fun. I'm not going to call it a classic or anything, but it's a fun movie to watch if you're watching it with other people. Pretty intense for a popcorn movie.

Dad??

I was just coming here to post the same thing.  I too, rented Greenland last night.  It was one of the few movies I wanted to see pre-Covid so I didn’t mind throwing down $20 to stream.  Like most in its category, it dragged some in the middle, but overall worth the money.  And intense is the perfect word for it.  The overall “anarchy” feel of it was tough to watch unfold.  Unfortunately, it’s probably how things would actually go down in a similar event.    

I enjoyed the ending as well.  You don’t see many disaster movies with that type of ending.  

Overall, probably a B.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

1 minute ago, mininghorn88 said:

Flying in a B-17 or a B-24 is on my bucket list.

It was awesome. I had my head sticking out of the top of the plane while we were flying. I went up in the Liberty Belle. About 10 years ago, or less, it had a terrible fuel leak that caused a fire and the plane was nearly lost. It is being restored, again. That's a picture of the plane that I "stole" from their website.

2122746002__BEL0405B-17GN390THLibertyBelleleftreartaxiingl.jpg.67c1c6af860975d830bfded066614222.jpg

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It was awesome. I had my head sticking out of the top of the plane while we were flying. I went up in the Liberty Belle. About 10 years ago, or less, it had a terrible fuel leak that caused a fire and the plane was nearly lost. It is being restored, again. That's a picture of the plane that I "stole" from their website.

2122746002__BEL0405B-17GN390THLibertyBelleleftreartaxiingl.jpg.67c1c6af860975d830bfded066614222.jpg

I was prepared to fly back in 2018 out of Tyler but they were grounded because of the weather. I was out of town in 2019. Covid canceled the event in 2020. Hopefully they will make the East Texas circuit in 2021.

6 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Watched a Bogart film last week titled "We're No Angels".  HB doing comedy, who knew?  Worthy of a rewatch if I see it listed again in the guide.

You didn't tell him.

He knows already.

Excellent flick. May be Aldo Ray's best performance.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:18 PM, Mo Horn said:

Just watched the Trial of the Chicago 7. Sorkin is a genius. 

Watched that last night.  Really good, but it pisses me off when they fictionalize facts.  It was completely unnecessary in this case because everything else was so good that it did zero to improve the movie.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

Got around to “Hillbilly Elegy”.  Got horrible reviews from critics, but well received by the general public.  As someone with more than a little experience in treating addiction, I think this should be required viewing for parents.  And grandparents. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:25 PM, bmbmd said:

Got around to “Hillbilly Elegy”.  Got horrible reviews from critics, but well received by the general public.  As someone with more than a little experience in treating addiction, I think this should be required viewing for parents.  And grandparents. 

Did you read the book?