Jump to content
Sbbruin

"The Office" appreciation thread

Recommended Posts

One of my favorite movies because I think I associated with it.  I graduated Texas in mid 90s and ended up working in a cube in Austin with a shitty boss for a few years after graduation.  I did just enough to get by and get experience so I could go get jobs I liked.  I also think I lived in those same apartments. 

Edited by tjhooker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PilotsError said:
17 hours ago, 52-80 said:
between the 2 shows, this is the greatest scene ever.
 
 
 

Really?

the abject desperation.  the utter awkwardness.  the physical hilarity.  yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

One of my favorite movies because I think I associated with it.  I graduated Texas in mid 90s and ended up working in a cube in Austin with a shitty boss for a few years after graduation.  I did just enough to get by and get experience so I could go get jobs I liked.  I also think I lived in those same apartments. 

I think you're looking for the Office Space thread.  lol

PS were your apartments called Morningwood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwight and the fire drill is a favorite of mine.

Without question the greatest open ever and the scene with the CPR dummy from the same episode is my favorite of the series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I think you're looking for the Office Space thread.  lol

PS were your apartments called Morningwood?

Damn it.  You're right but also a reason I like The Office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I went to Steve Carells birthday party at a restaurant in Santa Monica weeks before the final episode came out. A girl I was dating worked on the show and got me a copy of the final script with him in it and the entire cast signed it for my birthday. I was worn to secrecy to not reveal it.

 

I hung out with Stanley and Phyllis most of the night, they were very cool and funny. Met everyone but Pam and Jim who I never saw there. Chatted up Angela quite a bit about Baylor, she’s a little hottie.

 

Steve was nice as hell, great time. I’ve got that copy around here somewhere if anyone wants to see it / csb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mileslong said:


Without question the greatest open ever and the scene with the CPR dummy from the same episode is my favorite of the series

I forgot all about that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

BTW, I went to Steve Carells birthday party at a restaurant in Santa Monica weeks before the final episode came out. A girl I was dating worked on the show and got me a copy of the final script with him in it and the entire cast signed it for my birthday. I was worn to secrecy to not reveal it.

 

I hung out with Stanley and Phyllis most of the night, they were very cool and funny. Met everyone but Pam and Jim who I never saw there. Chatted up Angela quite a bit about Baylor, she’s a little hottie.

 

Steve was nice as hell, great time. I’ve got that copy around here somewhere if anyone wants to see it / csb

 

Definite /csb. 

Edited by Zepol87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Britney Bitch.

Kevin went to SMU in the early 90's.  Good friends with a friend of mine.

Love the episode when Holly meets Kevin and Dwight tells her he is "special". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kyle said:

Without question, maybe the best. Back when we could laugh at our differences.

Dinner Party is the best. The argument for second best could be made, and Diversity Day would probably be my choice for that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I lost it when Creed died his hair.

Probably my favorite Creed moment was when he unknowingly walked into the middle of the Murder Mystery, doesn't say anything, then sprints out to his car and leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Michael goes to Benihana to get over his break up with Jan (I think), and proceeds to take 2 Asian waitresses back to the office Christmas party but cant tell them apart. He marks on one of their arms with a sharpie so he knows one from the other. Just brilliant writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, orange dream said:

It's Britney Bitch.

Kevin went to SMU in the early 90's.  Good friends with a friend of mine.

Love the episode when Holly meets Kevin and Dwight tells her he is "special". 

i-do-the-numbers.jpg

On 9/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, lateshow said:

Probably my favorite Creed moment was when he unknowingly walked into the middle of the Murder Mystery, doesn't say anything, then sprints out to his car and leaves. 

This was also good.

thanks-im-playing-alittle-hooky-from-wor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I didn't mind the later seasons. I thought the way they wrapped it up was pretty good actually.

I stopped watching the original run after Carell left and they spent what seemed like months trying to find the new boss, but I recently re-watched all the episodes (over a couple of months) on Netflix. It was surprising to me how much the show actually stayed funny throughout the run and the "new" characters were much stronger than I remembered. Really good writing and performances throughout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite endings of all time and the song Creed sings gets me every time. I love the Nard Dog’s quote about wishing there was a way to know you are in the good old days while you are in them. That part really gets me for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

One of my favorite endings of all time and the song Creed sings gets me every time. I love the Nard Dog’s quote about wishing there was a way to know you are in the good old days while you are in them. That part really gets me for some reason. 

don't know the nard dog quote, but reading that reminded me of this one:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

don't know the nard dog quote, but reading that reminded me of this one:

 

Naturally I fucked the quote up but here it is  I love it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Jim and Pam moved to Austin. Fit right in with the self-absorbed assholes that populate this place, now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, Vic Mackey said:

The British version was fucking terrible. Nothing redeeming about it. How many people quote and post moments about that shitty version? No one. There aren't any.

 

Dumb take.  The British one starts slow (so does the NBC version), but once it takes off around episode 3 or 4 it's flawless.  The BBC version feels more true to life and has a depth lacking in the NBC version.  The NBC version went to shit after season 4 or whenever Pam and Jim got together.

 

And the reason you don't hear people quoting the BBC version is because you live in Texas and not Manchester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tom said:

 

Dumb take.  The British one starts slow (so does the NBC version), but once it takes off around episode 3 or 4 it's flawless.  The BBC version feels more true to life and has a depth lacking in the NBC version.  The NBC version went to shit after season 4 or whenever Pam and Jim got together.

 

And the reason you don't hear people quoting the BBC version is because you live in Texas and not Manchester.

Yep, I ended up liking the British version as much if not better in certain aspects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom said:

 

Dumb take.  The British one starts slow (so does the NBC version), but once it takes off around episode 3 or 4 it's flawless.  The BBC version feels more true to life and has a depth lacking in the NBC version.  The NBC version went to shit after season 4 or whenever Pam and Jim got together.

 

And the reason you don't hear people quoting the BBC version is because you live in Texas and not Manchester.

I have watched both. Took no time to watch the UK version because it was a total of what, 12 episodes? It was boring as hell. The US version blows it out of the water. And Monty Python is a British show and plenty of people over here talk about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have watched both. Took no time to watch the UK version because it was a total of what, 12 episodes? It was boring as hell. The US version blows it out of the water. And Monty Python is a British show and plenty of people over here talk about it. 

 

Yeah, the British version was so boring it only inspired half a dozen remakes in half a dozen languages including the one you like to watch. 

You don't have to like it, the comedy may not be your style, but it is objectively a great show and in many ways better than the U.S. version.  

I will admit there are things I prefer about the NBC version such as the background characters having a much bigger role and Dwight being funnier than Gareth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rainn wilson as dwight schrute is a virtuoso performance. he was given a role that would have been so easy to overplay and make cartoonish, and instead he produced one of the all time great sitcom characters. a seriously legendary performance. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Dinner Party, here's an oral history of the episode:

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/that-one-night-the-oral-history-of-the-greatest-office-episode-ever-629472/

 

EDIT:  And the camcorder on the tripod at the foot of the bed as Jan is giving the tour slays me every time.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the “Dwight Christmas” later season episode when dresses up like Belshnickle and decides to call off his buddy who is coming in dressed in blackface.  Too funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the British version fine, but trying to compare the two is dumb.  The British is basically a mini series with very little content.  They aren't even the same animal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Lou Loomis said:

I stopped watching the original run after Carell left and they spent what seemed like months trying to find the new boss, but I recently re-watched all the episodes (over a couple of months) on Netflix. It was surprising to me how much the show actually stayed funny throughout the run and the "new" characters were much stronger than I remembered. Really good writing and performances throughout.

Watching live vs binging is a completely different experience.  Waiting week to week you feel cheated with the bad episodes, but binging you they take up 22 minutes and you realize the good was still there.  I would have sworn up and down how awful the post Carell stuff was because I stuck with it live, but I binged everything not to long ago and I didn't think it was horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Watching live vs binging is a completely different experience.  Waiting week to week you feel cheated with the bad episodes, but binging you they take up 22 minutes and you realize the good was still there.  I would have sworn up and down how awful the post Carell stuff was because I stuck with it live, but I binged everything not to long ago and I didn't think it was horrible.

I agree. It wasn't horrible, and it did have some real funny parts. However, it wasn't near the show that it was seasons 2-5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Nobody steals from Creed Bratton and gets away with it. The last person to do this disappeared. His name? Creed Bratton."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The British version was fucking terrible. Nothing redeeming about it. How many people quote and post moments about that shitty version? No one. There aren't any.


I do it all of the time because I’m awesome and the British Office was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hate said:

 


I do it all of the time because I’m awesome and the British Office was awesome.

 

Plus the British version of The Office indirectly gave us Karl Pilkington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When The Office first ran, I kind of identified with Halpert because he was smart and funny. Watching it again years later, drives home that Jim, while not a bad guy, maybe has a little too high an opinion of himself. (Which I can understand, when you work with Michael Scott and guys like Kevin and Phyllis, etc.) But it does make me look at Jim in a different light.

The phone-call scene where Jim unloads on Pam for not recording their kid or something always makes me want to kick Jim's ass. My favorite characters are definitely Pam and Dwight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, Paper_jam said:

When The Office first ran, I kind of identified with Halpert because he was smart and funny. Watching it again years later, drives home that Jim, while not a bad guy, maybe has a little too high an opinion of himself. (Which I can understand, when you work with Michael Scott and guys like Kevin and Phyllis, etc.) But it does make me look at Jim in a different light.

The phone-call scene where Jim unloads on Pam for not recording their kid or something always makes me want to kick Jim's ass. My favorite characters are definitely Pam and Dwight.

 

1. Who told you that you were smart and funny?

2. You're right on Jim. Real smug.

3. After they get married, both Jim and Pam are awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...