Tacos

elguapo

I doubt that since Mr. Gatti's location down the street just folded.  But I suppose it's possible, there is a marked lack of pizza joints in that area.  All I can think of is Austin Pizza behind that Walgreen's and then Marye's which is geared towards adults and dine-in (maybe they deliver during Covid, but that's never been their niche)  

The lease terms on that location though, it'll likely end up going to a national chain with a large franchise presence.  They'll take their time with the TI buildout and open it late spring when the pandemic is winding down.  the impervious cover ratio plus cut-thrus, won't be anything with a patio which is a shame.  

Maybe west Austin will get  lucky and it'llbe a Burger King. 

I thought it was a Carl's Jr.?  Pos rep for the salty humor exchange.  

I thought Carl's Jr. built that as a groundup ~12 years ago and then it turned into Raising Cane's about 6-8 years ago.  I'm getting old, I forget.  

I'm well East of there but that whole area has always baffled me when it comes to restaurants/dining.  Particularly the taco situation.  

The RC building itself was originally a Carl's Jr. Before it was there, that was a parking lot that served the Mr. Gatti's that was building connected to the Jack Brown/TIff's Treats/Thundercloud/CBD Oil store that faces south. They demo'd the Gatti's building when the built the Carl's Jr. And screw Burger King. Bring back a Popeyes to Westlake!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

The RC building itself was originally a Carl's Jr. Before it was there, that was a parking lot that served the Mr. Gatti's that was building connected to the Jack Brown/TIff's Treats/Thundercloud/CBD Oil store that faces south. They demo'd the Gatti's building when the built the Carl's Jr. And screw Burger King. Bring back a Popeyes to Westlake!

Yeah dude, I wasn't serious about a Burger King.  I just can't picture that Mr. Gatti's but I do remember when Carl's Jr. was a parking lot or just an empty lot I guess.  Drove by that old Taco Bell today on the way through that part of town where the snooty people live (I do like that west Austin keeps it probably more weird than South Austin these days, area is looking rough from a retail/commercial standpoint).  Anyway, the Taco Bell has gotten the whitewash already by the property management team to make it more appealing to a prospective tenant.  It's gonna have to be fast-food just because they can't increase the physical footprint of the building or put in a patio.  I doubt a Popeye's goes in the same parking lot, 15' from a Raising Cane's.  I know it's a different product, but they both appeal to the working folks of that area and offer way too much similar shit.  I'm racking my brain trying to think of what local chains could go in there, Taco Ranch/P. terry's maybe (though there's a P. Terry's down the road but it's a quite a trek).  Somewhere that appeals to drive-thru soccer moms, high school kids on lunch break, all the workers and tradesmen in the area, et. al.  That's who used to make Taco Bell work.  But so much of that whole West Woods strip center is one lease mistake after another so I'm sure the space will end up being not an exciting fast casual dining option, but rather another mattress store or a larger Subway sandwich shop.  

The play at West Woods is to wait out the grocery restriction which runs underneath it for another 3-4 years.  

Why spend a lot of time and money chasing quality tenants today when you’re just a few years away from landing a Whole Foods or CM, or relocating Trader Joe’s down the street?  You basically increase your rental rates 20% overnight with a bunch of national credit tenants who suddenly have to be in the shopping center.  

Was talking with the "d" in that property mgmt/partial ownership team there.  Didn't realize the restriction was just 3 yrs away.  That's almost a more difficult position though because one could be tempted to just hold onto the Stein Mart end-cap and wait for Trader Joe's to relocate or for an Aldi to penetrate the market.  Whole Foods, however, would be the most desirable candidate.  I don't see that location being able to support a Central Market just because of Westgate plus that 'Westlake Market' HEB half pretending it's a Central Market anyway.  Eanes ISD is in a preliminary conversation about taking it on as a fitness center/some indoor practice overflow.  A boutique dine-in movie theater is also a possibility, just two screens and a front lounge for folks not staying for the show.  

Anyway, I like your idea.  If you have any mode details on the underneath restriction, lemme know or post here.  Nothing insider, just like bouncing around ideas.  

6 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

The Tumble 22 on Lake Austin Blvd is, what, 3 miles from that site?

i suppose it is relatively close distance wise, but travel-time wise it doesn't feel all that close (esp. if coming from west of that center in WL).  i would agree it probably would not make much sense from their perspective.    but, there is also a thundercloud by that lake austin tumble 22 and a thudercloud in that center in WL. 

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

a better run and cleaner Popeye's would be awesome.  the one that shut down over by Honey Ham was a dumpster fire.  or even better, a Tumble 22!

I thought that Popeyes was pretty good.  But then, my college buddies and I went to the Popeyes near the OG Orange Bowl in Miami before the OU v Penn State game on New Years Day 1986.  We were about as white bread okies as you could get in about the worst part of Miami for its time ever.  And it was the best Popeyes I ever had. 

But as pointed out.  No way a Popeyes gets in with Raising Canes nexts door

Edited by ftf82

• 5 weeks later...

This is the new shit in town

How Birria Finally Took Off in One of America’s Best Taco Cities

Birria1_Site.gifBirria3_site.gif

Birria2_Site.gifBirria4_Site.gif

139790940_449420082743349_83686207735952

Taco cooks tell him, “It’s not actually birria, it’s barbacoa; be quiet, don’t tell anyone”

https://austin.eater.com/22243046/birria-tacos-quesabirria-food-trucks-austin

Edited by Michael Knight

This is funny. First I had heard of Birria tacos wasn't his week so I put the ingredients on my HEB list

Gonna make these

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-beef-birria-tacos-recipe-23105466

Then I was looking around on YT and found this guy slangin and bangin.  So this is my plan. My body and Blackstone is ready

Edited by Post Oak

On 12/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, 4th&Five said:

It was a joke because Raising Canes was a Gattis forever. 

I saw a sign in front of the recently closed down Gattis in Rollingwood this morning - something is going in there - anyone have any idea? the sign just said “something is coming / let the good times ‘roar’”

It's the Steakley family putting in a project that I no a supposed to talk about.  they're actually good people in real life and the new project is woefully disappointing but it makes some lemonade outta lemons so...fare the well...

I made them yesterday. They turned out good. I thought it was missing something I think I'll add some lime juice to the meat after I shred it. 

My corn tortillas sucked ( they had been frozen for a while ) and they tore easy. I ended up using HEB flour tortillas instead and they were awesome. Seemed to soak up more of the juice. Might stick with them.

Can't wait to try them again.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think the carnitas taco at the Un Mundo de Sabor food truck is in my top-5 tacos in Austin. At most places when you get carnitas and it's either soft and greasy with the texture of barbacoa, or it's dry and chewy because it was over cooked. The carnitas here are perfectly crispy and tender. They're in the Thicket food trailer park in South Austin. The whole menu is great. I typically get a carnitas taco, an al pastor taco, and a campechano. My wife likes the enchiladas rojas. I've had the beef flautas and they were also really good. Limited menu but the guy running it has is a magician. Check them out. 

Pics stolen from yelp. Here's the carnitas taco

Photo of Un Mundo De Sabor - Austin, TX, United States. Carnitas Taco Slow cooked pork shoulder then seared, crushed avocado, pickled red onions, cilantro ;)

Carnitas and Campechano:

Photo of Un Mundo De Sabor - Austin, TX, United States. Tacos

Enchiladas Rojas:

Photo of Un Mundo De Sabor - Austin, TX, United States. Enchiladas rojas

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/17/2022 at 4:19 PM, irishtexan said:

I think the carnitas taco at the Un Mundo de Sabor food truck is in my top-5 tacos in Austin. At most places when you get carnitas and it's either soft and greasy with the texture of barbacoa, or it's dry and chewy because it was over cooked. The carnitas here are perfectly crispy and tender. They're in the Thicket food trailer park in South Austin. The whole menu is great. I typically get a carnitas taco, an al pastor taco, and a campechano. My wife likes the enchiladas rojas. I've had the beef flautas and they were also really good. Limited menu but the guy running it has is a magician. Check them out. 

Uh, yeah.  Never heard of the place, but I'm definitely gonna try it out.

Stuffed with muenster cheese, dry red chile broth, crema, queso, fresco, pickled habanero onions, avocado, watermelon radish. Served on a bed of white rice and beans on the side.

Shout out to this thread. Was in town last weekend. Rosita's is like 1/2 block from my BIL's place and I tried it. Then we did a Shoal Creek (crawfish) --> West --> Dirty --> East day drinking extravaganza and stopped by Vaquero between Dirty and East 6th.

Both taquerias slammed, went hard, etc.

• 2 months later...

Down here for work, went to Vaquero Taquero on dirty 6th (Sabine and 6th). Hard to find a better combo of food quality, value, service, ambiance in Texas for tacos. It’s a must stop place for me every time I’m down here.  

house made tortillas, delicious Birria with consume, mole tacos etc….

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Down here for work, went to Vaquero Taquero on dirty 6th (Sabine and 6th). Hard to find a better combo of food quality, value, service, ambiance in Texas for tacos. It’s a must stop place for me every time I’m down here.  

Does it pair well with voodoo donut

18 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I generally avoid 6th like the plague but there's also one by campus on 31st.

• 4 weeks later...