Fish

SimonBolivar

We had a thread about cooking and consuming fish on the scat board, but we need one for here. I grew up not eating anything from the sea between the ages of 5 and 28 (allergic to crustaceans) until I found out the magic of oysters. My love of fish has been coming slowly and I'm trying to get myself to eat it at least 3 times a week. Lately I've been in a Thai style coconut milk mood with mahi-mahi and salmon. Other than that I'll do some tuna steaks. What are your go to recipes and species? Where are you getting your fish from? 

I really started liking scallops a few years ago.  Good tasting and pretty healthy with a shitload of protein.  I get jumbo scallops, lightly dust each side with flour, and sear in butter and olive oil on high heat for about a minute or so on each side.  Maybe drizzle a bit of truffle oil after they're out of the pan.

For fish, I mainly stick to neutral tasting fish, and cook a lot of halibut and sea bass.  Like scallops, nothing fancy beyond pan searing. 

• Like 1

i'm old school.  good fish doesn't need to be covered in any sauce.  fish is like steak, if it's fresh and cooked right, it don't need nothing but salt and pepper.

shit like catfish, talapia, yea that stuff needs to be fried or covered in sauce. 

or you can bake or steam whole fish.  imo that's the best way to eat fish.  but again, the fish matters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

How is rainbow trout? I'd assume very similar to salmon?

I find it pretty flavorless.  Not like salmon at all.  Best grilled whole, stuff the cavity with butter, herbs, tomatoes, anything really.  We eat fish once a week minimum, often more than that.  And I'm a fish snob and will only buy it at the local fishmonger Fish King or Whole Foods.  Grocery store fish sucks.  Of course, fresh caught yourself fish is the best, no matter what it is.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I really started liking scallops a few years ago.  Good tasting and pretty healthy with a shitload of protein.  I get jumbo scallops, lightly dust each side with flour, and sear in butter and olive oil on high heat for about a minute or so on each side.  Maybe drizzle a bit of truffle oil after they're out of the pan.

For fish, I mainly stick to neutral tasting fish, and cook a lot of halibut and sea bass.  Like scallops, nothing fancy beyond pan searing. 

Man, I liked scallops, but the two worst food poisoning incidents of my life were due to scallops. I can't hardly look at them, now. It's a shame.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

How is rainbow trout? I'd assume very similar to salmon?

For my two cents, I don’t care for it or any trout for that matter.  Perhaps I have not ever had it prepared right but always seems bit fishy and/or mushy.  This includes saltwater trout too.

1 minute ago, Shaddie said:

Cmon people

Yellowfin tuna caught 30 minutes ago and 1st mate cuts out some nice sashimi from it. No goddamn wasabi. Just a little lime. 

Then rare grilled tuna steaks with peppercorn crust. That is a life well lived. 

Best fish I've ever had was on a fishing boat in Playa del Carmen.  Caught a mackerel and within 20 minutes had turned it into ceviche.  Holy shit, I still think about that meal.  Then we had the hotel give us a tuna extravaganza (they prepared it 3-4 different ways) with the tuna we caught that night.  Amazing.

30 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Haven’t had the guts to try eyes. Anybody done that yet?

Eyes you say?

The deeper the fish live, the larger the eye (to gather more light). So, deepwater fish at top:

ZPgCaXMzPv7F3AdPIAGPoDbfrMps0ZR8BSRKa1Y0

Have very large eyes. And very large eyeballs (eyeball taken out on left, it's larger than a standard marble and larger than the entire eye of most fish):

S8F9DgICgZAv87145oBeRpa-QLyJm-Hlh-4EvLNL

Aftermath, I call it Fish:Deconstructed

MICsIni7dJXpbDOP87L4ioJ8ojMfR91ShKUwh1FR

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Eyes you say?

The deeper the fish live, the larger the eye (to gather more light). So, deepwater fish at top:

ZPgCaXMzPv7F3AdPIAGPoDbfrMps0ZR8BSRKa1Y0

Have very large eyes. And very large eyeballs (eyeball taken out on left, it's larger than a standard marble and larger than the entire eye of most fish):

S8F9DgICgZAv87145oBeRpa-QLyJm-Hlh-4EvLNL

Aftermath, I call it Fish:Deconstructed

MICsIni7dJXpbDOP87L4ioJ8ojMfR91ShKUwh1FR

Name checks out.  You must be Asian af to be eating that.  What happened to the damn filets?

as for the eyes, no thanks.  I find rainbow trout to be too small and bony.  i'm a big fan of rockfish, black drum, turbot for affordable sustainable species.  snapper is damn tasty too and not too expensive.  halibut, sea bass, and grouper and melt in your mouth tasty but too pricey for me for a regular thing.

is fish king the dude from palacious at the farmers markets?  I've bought about everything he sells over the years, but have kind of sworn off him now that I've tried it all, as his portions are too small for the money.  quality seafood, central market, or occasionally my regular heb as something interesting. 

I have shitloads of recipes but am with the one poster that says keep it simple.  butter or olive oil and blackened seasoning is incredibly delicious.

On 12/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, Shaddie said:

Trick for crappie. 

Put yellow mustard on fillets then do cornmeal crust. Sounds weird but ther 0 mustard taste and corneal sticks better. 

This is how my coonass grandmother taught me to fry fish-  yellow mustard.  It makes any cornmeal fried fish better.  We always  fry catfish when we boil shrimp or crawfish and I still use yellow mustard every time. 

Does Long John Silvers count? 

Never been much of a fish/seafood eater but that has changed somewhat the last 15-20 years, have always liked shrimp but Lobster is my new like, especially since moving up North.  Haddock is popular up here along with cod, I like both, love catfish.  Don’t eat near enough of fish/seafood as I should. 

On 12/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, Shaddie said:

Cmon people

Yellowfin tuna caught 30 minutes ago and 1st mate cuts out some nice sashimi from it. No goddamn wasabi. Just a little lime. 

This, and I’ll add wahoo which I like even better IF it’s fresh. We got lucky this year and landed more wahoo than usual during our summer tournaments. Man we had some incredible meals on overnights. Ling and tripletail are others I like a lot but again I won’t eat them unless we caught it or I know it’s fresh.

Only 3 more weeks till we start our season in Costa Rica and I’ll be eating yellowfin and dorado regularly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Does Long John Silvers count? 

Never been much of a fish/seafood eater but that has changed somewhat the last 15-20 years, have always liked shrimp but Lobster is my new like, especially since moving up North.  Haddock is popular up here along with cod, I like both, love catfish.  Don’t eat near enough of fish/seafood as I should. 

Try monkfish, It's called the poor mans lobster, and when cooked correctly has a very very similar flavor.  Pretty tasty fish.

fish eyes are good.  we eat a good amount of steamed whole fish, that's the best way to eat the eyes.  recently been eating lots of monkfish, golden pompano, and something that looks like a lionfish but the name escapes me at the moment.  all of those are pan-fried with a little bit of water with the lid on.  salt/pepper/lemon.  

20 hours ago, justhookit said:

This, and I’ll add wahoo which I like even better IF it’s fresh. We got lucky this year and landed more wahoo than usual during our summer tournaments. Man we had some incredible meals on overnights. Ling and tripletail are others I like a lot but again I won’t eat them unless we caught it or I know it’s fresh.

Only 3 more weeks till we start our season in Costa Rica and I’ll be eating yellowfin and dorado regularly.

We had fresh wahoo on your boat that day in Port A when Petey was cleaning them, it was fantastic.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 12/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, Shaddie said:

Cmon people

user name does not check out

7 hours ago, Gambrinus said:

Like to pick up a large salmon fillet at Quality Seafood. Smoke with alder wood. Great for game watching parties when wives will be present and pizza not nice enough

I'm going to try smoking some salmon on Sunday.  If it turns out well, I'll probably do some more for Christmas.

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm going to try smoking some salmon on Sunday.  If it turns out well, I'll probably do some more for Christmas.

I've smoked salmon on an offset smoker, also with indirect heat on a gas grill with a smoker box with wood chips over the flame. I think gas grill with smoker box is easier for fish.