Spiderman Far From Home

BigDHornfan

4 hours ago, ajax said:

Who greenlit that trailer? My god. After Endgame did a great job of not spoiling anything we get this shit?

And I guess Michelle is officially Mary Jane. She goes from the bubbly popular girl to a surly, laconic nerd girl with no friends.

I think you may be Katfidding the two girls.  Parker took the bubbly, popular girl to the dance.  MJ was always surly and was the one on his decathlon team with the attitude and sarcasm.

I think they're intentionally avoiding the Gwen Stacy path as it was used in the previous iteration.  Also they intentionally went with a person of color, but if the series went long enough (doubt it does), they could always move away from her and to a more traditional MJ (Mary Jane) as this MJ stands for Michelle J.  I doubt they make this choice but it's possible and with multi-verses, anything is possible now!!!!

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think they're intentionally avoiding the Gwen Stacy path as it was used in the previous iteration.  Also they intentionally went with a person of color

That and Stacy was kinda prominent in the animated Spidey that Sony put out.  

I think you’re overthinking the person of color thing.   Zendeya is the biggest star to come out of the Disney Channel in recent years, who was available for this, and who was a huge crossover hit.  When she was hired, she was actively producing and starring in a Disney series as well.  Her hiring felt completely driven by Disney accountants - try to suck in her fan base that grew up watching her (2010-2018) on the Disney Channel.  

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think you’re overthinking the person of color thing.

I think asking why a stormtrooper is black?!?!?? is overthinking a "person of color thing". I don't think laughing at or objecting to stuntcasting a traditionally white character is overthinking it.

Neither do I think asking why they wrote her character to be so unpleasant is overthinking it, although the question might be a little meta for one specific movie. When I was a kid, the female heroine archetype was Princess Leia. Now we want boys to aspire to win the affections of the sarcastic, distant embodiment of a "whatEVER" Tweet. That is a transparent writer self-insert fantasy, and as soon as I can tell that a character is doing or saying something because the writer thinks THEY SHOULD in arial black all caps, it breaks my concentration and I lose interest in the diversion. 

"Dead To Me" on Netflix is the most clever new show I can remember seeing recently and it suffers a little from that, to give a non-superhero-comic book-movie example.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, ajax said:

Who greenlit that trailer? My god. After Endgame did a great job of not spoiling anything we get this shit?

And I guess Michelle is officially Mary Jane. She goes from the bubbly popular girl to a surly, laconic nerd girl with no friends.

Would've been better with Kristen Stewart!!

sorry, couldn't help my self. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That and Stacy was kinda prominent in the animated Spidey that Sony put out.  

I think you’re overthinking the person of color thing.   Zendeya is the biggest star to come out of the Disney Channel in recent years, who was available for this, and who was a huge crossover hit.  When she was hired, she was actively producing and starring in a Disney series as well.  Her hiring felt completely driven by Disney accountants - try to suck in her fan base that grew up watching her (2010-2018) on the Disney Channel.  

Don't think so.  Zendeya happened to be a convenient casting for Disney with her crossover appeal, no doubt, but the genre suffers from a lack of diversity and this was an easy way to insert some.  I'm sure Disney saw it as a win-win.  Leverage a known asset and appeal to a broader demographic.

The same was done with the character of Ned, also known as Edward Leeds.  Tweak the character a little and make him a better reflection of what a New York HS may look like and it works.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I like Zendaya a lot. They're finally making the story of William and Ellen Craft into a movie and I'm pumped that she's starring in it.

I also like her character Michelle from Homecoming. I just don't see Michelle J as a love interest and replacement for Mary Jane. She insults him and puts in down all the time, so he falls in love with her?

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, ajax said:

Best MCU movie other than Endgame. It still sucks that they put actual spoilers in the trailer but this movie is great. Best MCU villain other than Thanos.

And you have to stay for both after credit scenes. They're not throwaways, but actual critical plot points.

Some more thoughts...

Peter and MJ have great chemistry here. Also love their term for Spidey sense.

Jake Gyllenhaal was really, really good. The entire supporting cast was good.

I was relieved to find out that Angourie Rice is 18 years old, so Chris Hansen can stand down.

Edited by ajax

This movie was way better than Endgame. Endgame wasn't a great movie, but that's not necessarily a black mark against it. It's tough to make a great movie as the last one in a series; everyone knows basically where it's headed, you're not developing any new characters or relationships, etc.

That being said, I think I'm getting all Marveled out. This was honestly a very good movie, and if I'd seen it 5 years ago I would have called it great. Guess I'm approaching my MCU give-a-shit limit.

• Like 1

This movie was way better than Endgame. Endgame wasn't a great movie, but that's not necessarily a black mark against it. It's tough to make a great movie as the last one in a series; everyone knows basically where it's headed, you're not developing any new characters or relationships, etc.
That being said, I think I'm getting all Marveled out. This was honestly a very good movie, and if I'd seen it 5 years ago I would have called it great. Guess I'm approaching my MCU give-a-shit limit.

I hit that wall somewhere around Ant Man.
  • Like 1

I just got back from seeing it with the kids and we really enjoyed it.  I was getting kind of burned out on the Marvel movies, in fact I haven’t even seen End Game, and this movie kind of rekindled my interest.  Of course End Game is now totally spoilers for me.  The post credit scenes kind of confused me, but most things do.  Speaking of post credit scenes, what’s up with them, they seem to be making you sit through credits that get longer with each movie.  I think they are playing a long game and eventually we’ll be sitting for 30 minutes just to see a CGI Stan Lee giving us the finger.

I saw it and thought it was really good.  Had some very funny parts too.  I am starting to feel a bit of the overdose on the Marvel movies but for the most part, they have all been at least very good to great.

Too bad we can't get this level of quality out of the star wars franchise.

• Like 1

Good for me, not great. It was obvious that the real movie was going to start at some point and I felt myself waiting for that to happen. I’ll watch Jake G in just about anything and he was great, but the details of the real threat were a little much for me. The baby mountain goat scene was bad.

It didn’t have the joy of a great Marvel movie.

So..... that was all sorts of meh.  The dialogue lacked crispness and the jokes were stale, the villain, while played well, was all sorts of silliness and the tech was gimmicky.  This was one of the poorer Marvel movies, it wasn't bad as much as it was just stale.  Samuel L Jackson as Fury has become old hat.  I think this long break for Marvel comes at a good time.  I think after Endgame, they need a little time to catch their breath and let audiences sort of decompress.  Now, it wasn't all bad.  Holland is a huge talent.  Gyllenhall was solid.  The set pieces were cool -- reminded me of Euro Vacation kind of.  Ned and his gf were sort of funny and the best and funniest gags come at the end playing off of Raimi's original Spider-man.  Also the two post-credit scenes were interesting and set up well for the future.  Overall, this has much more charm than Webb's sort of sullen TAS or Raimi's goofy Spiderman 3, but it's got a real IM3 vibe to it.

On 7/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just got back from seeing it with the kids and we really enjoyed it.  I was getting kind of burned out on the Marvel movies, in fact I haven’t even seen End Game, and this movie kind of rekindled my interest.  Of course End Game is now totally spoilers for me.  The post credit scenes kind of confused me, but most things do.  Speaking of post credit scenes, what’s up with them, they seem to be making you sit through credits that get longer with each movie.  I think they are playing a long game and eventually we’ll be sitting for 30 minutes just to see a CGI Stan Lee giving us the finger.

Spoiler

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/05/spider-man-far-from-home-ending-explained-j-jonah-jameson-daily-bugle-jk-simmons-secret-identity-peter-parker

Outer space Bureaucracy, man....

The camera pulls out and it’s revealed that the beach is just a hologram, and Nick is actually on some kind of spacecraft, apparently commanding it while various Skrull officers are hard at work. Could this be the MCU beginnings of S.W.O.R.D. -- a.k.a. the Sentient World Observation and Response Department? Basically that’s the S.H.I.E.L.D. type organization in the comics that focuses on threats from outer space. Which, considering everything that happened in the first three phases of the MCU, would make a lot of sense…

Can someone explain the IM3 comparisons?  I don’t get it, but maybe I’m just dumb.

I liked it well enough but it’s was pretty middle of the road MCU with a bunch a generic action/plot points/character development and few high points.

Felt like GOTG2 , Antman/Wasp, Dr Strange, Black Panther level Marvel which is fine for a popcorn flick but nothing to rant/rave about.

I thought it was great,  probably the 2nd best spiderman movie after into the spiderverse. Jake Gyllenhaal was almost as good as Michael Keaton, the top 3 villains in marvel have all been from spiderman.  I dunno how someone can get tired of good movies which since ant man they've all been

2 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Definitely in my top 10 but it looks like the MCU is going to go in a direction that I'm not really interested in based on the credits scenes. 

MCU is moving to 2 storylines in the next phase.  The cosmic and the earthbound and they won't mingle.  Everyone theorizes that norman Osborne will be the earth bad but they forget there's only 1 movie left in the Sony deal.  They are gonna have all new heroes in the phase, much gayer and more feminine than the previous group. 

On 7/6/2019 at 12:19 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Can someone explain the IM3 comparisons?  I don’t get it, but maybe I’m just dumb.

Spoiler

In IM3, the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) turned out to basically be an actor playing a part of a terrorist.  The real villain was a a guy named Killian who was played by Guy Pearce, who had some sort of revenge / competitive technology motive  (i think).

In this movie the Elementals were faked by Mysterio so he could steal Tony Stark's legacy and look like a hero.

Commonality:  Both Mandarin and the Elementals were faked by someone else to manipulate the world and the hero must intervene.

Edited by Richter
  • Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Mysterio was a great villain. Loved the multiverse curve ball they threw out. The end credits were enjoyable. The JJJ cameo had me fist pumping.  For all of you complaining about being burnt out, get ready. There’s nothing on the docket for another year or so. Next one is probably the Black Widow prequel. Everything else is either in development or pre-production like The Eternals.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, Richter said:
  Hide contents

In IM3, the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) turned out to basically be an actor playing a part of a terrorist.  The real villain was a a guy named Killian who was played by Guy Pearce, who had some sort of revenge / competitive technology motive  (i think).

In this movie the Elementals were faked by Mysterio so he could steal Tony Stark's legacy and look like a hero.

Commonality:  Both Mandarin and the Elementals were faked by someone else to manipulate the world and the hero must intervene.

Additionally, both villains were ultimately people spurned or who felt "wronged" by Tony Stark.  Who felt they were his intellectual equal who were either thrown aside or not given a chance to become the predominant business icon of their time.  But more to the matter, the quality of the films were roughly in the same area.

Saw it for the third time today. So much fun. Interesting that my boy could not care less about this movie or Marvel in general, but the girl is totally obsessed with Marvel and especially Spiderman. Disney seems to be doing a great job of appealing to girls.

And I said it before but way to completely turn around MJ/Zendaya. I'm a fan now and can't wait to see her in the next installment.