Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Tank couldn’t resist jumping in the pool today. Had the shake off while I was taking his pic. Dudes a bowling ball and can’t swim...luckily I’ve got an 8” ledge he owns.
95313de808746ff7cfaf6b628091d5b6.jpg

Awesome. My bully got a little wound up last summer and sunk right to the bottom when he jumped in the pool. Not much of a fan of getting in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

The dogs got into an actual fight for about 30 seconds and Rocket, despite being a good 40 lbs bigger than Edgar, came out on the losing side and had to get a couple of staples in one of his legs. And in case you were wondering, yes, the now 101-lb dog can still fit in the recliner with me even while wearing a cone.

56a00a1502a128e23f708f63d3d2410a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

We have another foster now.  She had 6 pups about a week before the rescue got her to us.  They are lab/german shephard/among other breed mixes.  The mom is extremely scared of men.  My wife and youngest boys don't have any problems, but she has a deep fear of me and my older boys.  At this point I'm not pushing the issue.  I just throw treats in her direction when I walk by.  She still growls every time I am in the same room.  When we first got her she even snapped at me.  I feel bad for her, but I think the way I'm doing it is probably best.  I do not talk to her at all, just the treats.  Any advice? 

I'd really like to work on this while we have her, but it's been a week now and she still growls at me and the older boys just the same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, You don't know me said:

We have another foster now.  She had 6 pups about a week before the rescue got her to us.  They are lab/german shephard/among other breed mixes.  The mom is extremely scared of men.  My wife and youngest boys don't have any problems, but she has a deep fear of me and my older boys.  At this point I'm not pushing the issue.  I just throw treats in her direction when I walk by.  She still growls every time I am in the same room.  When we first got her she even snapped at me.  I feel bad for her, but I think the way I'm doing it is probably best.  I do not talk to her at all, just the treats.  Any advice? 

I'd really like to work on this while we have her, but it's been a week now and she still growls at me and the older boys just the same.

That poor mama. I hate to think how she's been treated to act like that. How old is she? Honestly, I don't think she's ever going to love you, but I do think you can make some headway by giving her treats and continuing to be deferential and non-threatening.

6 minutes ago, austingirl said:

That poor mama. I hate to think how she's been treated to act like that. How old is she? Honestly, I don't think she's ever going to love you, but I do think you can make some headway by giving her treats and continuing to be deferential and non-threatening.

The rescue said that she's not much more than a year old.  It's just horrible.  I can't even walk by without her growling at me. 

Thanks, guys. He was my first “adult dog” and was a damn good one. Loyal and kind. Loved when kids came to the door on Halloween. A goofy yet lovable personality. When my kid was a baby rolling on the floor, he’d sit next to her as if watching over her. Gone but will never be forgotten. My family had two dogs when I was growing up, and my future wife had one when we met. I loved all three, but there is something different about owning a dog its whole life. We got this one and one of his litter mates shortly after we got married. His sister is coping well (I think dogs know when another pack member is sick and that eased her transition); she sat up in their bed as if waiting for him the first night and has been soaking up the additional attention since. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, Dutch said:

Thanks, guys. He was my first “adult dog” and was a damn good one. Loyal and kind. Loved when kids came to the door on Halloween. A goofy yet lovable personality. When my kid was a baby rolling on the floor, he’d sit next to her as if watching over her. Gone but will never be forgotten. My family had two dogs when I was growing up, and my future wife had one when we met. I loved all three, but there is something different about owning a dog its whole life. We got this one and one of his litter mates shortly after we got married. His sister is coping well (I think dogs know when another pack member is sick and that eased her transition); she sat up in their bed as if waiting for him the first night and has been soaking up the additional attention since. 

I'm so sorry. May he have endless tennis balls to chase through endless fields. And this always makes me smile. And cry a bit, but mostly smile.

spacer.png

• Like 1