OU Recruiting 2020: Everybody Hurts Sometimes

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Definitely going to have to play zone and not blitz 5 very often. We don’t keep any discipline in our rushing lanes when we blitz and Hurts will run all over us if we do. We need to play stout against the traditional run game and make Hurts go through multiple progressions in the pocket and rally to him when he runs. 

It's going to look a lot like what we did against okie light. We'll have more success against the qb run, especially on the edge, but the dline will need to play well again to penetrate and help the lbs. As long as we bracket lamb like wallace, Hurts will have to go through his reads all day which should force at least a couple punts. We should expect a good game for either Rambo or Haselwood and Calcaterra. As long as the offense does what the offense does, I'm pretty confident in our ability to beat them twice. The key will be Coburn and Roach disrupting vertically against a young oline who has looked dominant against their unbelievably soft schedule so far.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's going to look a lot like what we did against okie light. We'll have more success against the qb run, especially on the edge, but the dline will need to play well again to penetrate and help the lbs. As long as we bracket lamb like wallace, Hurts will have to go through his reads all day which should force at least a couple punts. We should expect a good game for either Rambo or Haselwood and Calcaterra. As long as the offense does what the offense does, I'm pretty confident in our ability to beat them twice. The key will be Coburn and Roach disrupting vertically against a young oline who has looked dominant against their unbelievably soft schedule so far.

There’s no way we can bracket Lamb like we did Wallace. That extra defender was available because we could stop the run with 5. That won’t be possible against OU. Plus, Lamb isn’t as dangerous as Wallace and OU has more high quality options it can turn to after Lamb.

We’re going to have to expose our DBs in coverage more against OU than we did okie lite, but if we can take away Hurts’ first option, he hasn’t yet shown the ability to process all the way through his reads to find the mismatch. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That extra defender was available because we could stop the run with 5.

We can still keep one high and play the run with 6, but we stopped the run in most instances because of great dline penetration. Neither of the blou backs are Chuba, either. And Hurts isn't Sanders. I just rewatched that game and the missed tackles are a result of bad angles against superior speed. Land thieves don't have that speed in the backfield, so we can make up space a bit quicker. I wouldn't be surprised to see TO sell out to stop the pass if we have early success against their oline. Their RPO game catching the safeties out of position is the only thing I'm remotely concerned about addressing from their offense. Hurts doesn't have Burrow's arm or Sanders' legs. WRs making plays is the only way they can beat us. 

They are putting up video game numbers. We have no idea how easily they will score if we take something away from them, because they have 3 RBs averaging over 8 YPC and a QB who has thrown for over 15 yards per attempt and averages one TD every 7 throws (spreading them to 6 different receivers). Our best chance, IMO, to win is to be the stereotypical Herman team-- tough for every second of a big game. Show their new starters and remind the upperclassmen how brutal the game of football can be. It works to our benefit in this regard that they haven't yet played anyone with a pulse. Scheme and execution matter, but if they feel like tapping out, even if only here and there, we are more than half-way to a win.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

They are putting up video game numbers.

Against Houston, South Dakota, UCLA, and Tech. 

It's a hell of an offense, but no one has had the horses to move Hurts off his spot, or overwhelm the line to save their lbs on the run. This is not the best team Riley has had, that was last year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's a hell of an offense, but no one has had the horses to move Hurts off his spot, or overwhelm the line to save their lbs on the run. This is not the best team Riley has had, that was last year. 

I just don't know how you say that definitely at this point of the season, one way or the other. On one hand, they look ridiculous on offense but they are playing ridiculously bad competition. Same holds true of their defense -- it looks miles better, but again what can you judge from the competition? We just aren't going to know anything about them until Dallas.

I will say that while Hurts may be the least dangerous of the throwing threats of the three QBs they've had recently (and that isn't necessarily a slight against him, the other two were fucking witches), he is by far the most likely to provide the general intangibles and leadership you ideally look for in a QB. If you are going to go to war and your options are world's largest douchebag behind door #1 and entitled midget pussy behind door #2, I think I would be inclined to go with the slightly less talented guy residing behind door #3.

• Like 3

He’s not a better leader for that team than Mayfield.
He’s an experienced guy who is used to playing with great advantages. He has always looked dominant against overmatched opponents and underwhelming against just about everyone else.
He’s gonna be able to take a beating if we rough him up, but he won’t be going Burrow on us if we can get pressure.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We can still keep one high and play the run with 6, but we stopped the run in most instances because of great dline penetration. Neither of the blou backs are Chuba, either. And Hurts isn't Sanders. I just rewatched that game and the missed tackles are a result of bad angles against superior speed. Land thieves don't have that speed in the backfield, so we can make up space a bit quicker. I wouldn't be surprised to see TO sell out to stop the pass if we have early success against their oline. Their RPO game catching the safeties out of position is the only thing I'm remotely concerned about addressing from their offense. Hurts doesn't have Burrow's arm or Sanders' legs. WRs making plays is the only way they can beat us. 

This is way off. TO always takes away the run first and “selling out to stop the pass” would get us killed in the run game. Hurts is a damn good runner and he’s way more of a threat to run designed plays than the previous two QBs. We’ll have to account for him in the run game in a way we haven’t had to in OU’s offense before. Overall, their run game is way more of a threat than you’re making it out to be. Hurts is a better runner than Sanders and OU’s OL is way better than okie lite’s. You can’t play the run with as light of a box and you have to have a man for Hurts running. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You have no clue if this is true. You’re assuming the offense has weaknesses that haven’t been shown yet and If their defense goes from god awful to below average this year, then it very well may be the best team he’s had.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He’s not a better leader for that team than Mayfield.
He’s an experienced guy who is used to playing with great advantages. He has always looked dominant against overmatched opponents and underwhelming against just about everyone else.
He’s gonna be able to take a beating if we rough him up, but he won’t be going Burrow on us if we can get pressure.

I'm going with Mitch, at this point we can't say shit definitively. Burrow wasn't going to go Burrow on us either because he was a shittier version of Ehlinger in every regard all game week and leading up to the game. Right until he wasn't and he became a fucking surgeon all over the field in the face of pressure. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:27 AM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Nah, they'll turtle against OU like they aways do. Every team gets up for us and then folds against OU. 

The KSU game is the reason why Gundy turtled against us. Sanders is a really good athlete right now, but he makes a lot of bad decisions. Maybe he will be better at the end of the season, but the kid that played against Texas/KSU will make more than enough mistakes for OU to roll in that game.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is way off. TO always takes away the run first and “selling out to stop the pass” would get us killed in the run game. Hurts is a damn good runner and he’s way more of a threat to run designed plays than the previous two QBs. We’ll have to account for him in the run game in a way we haven’t had to in OU’s offense before. Overall, their run game is way more of a threat than you’re making it out to be. Hurts is a better runner than Sanders and OU’s OL is way better than okie lite’s. You can’t play the run with as light of a box and you have to have a man for Hurts running. 

I think you're overstimating OU's OL and running game.  I also think you're understimating the pressure OU's QB counter scheme put on defenses with Kyler.  And you're understimating the benefit of having Hollywood Brown standing at the LOS, ready to go from 0-60 the moment the ball is flipped to him in the flat.

This is Riley's worst offense at OU--and it's not close.  No idea whether the D is any better or not.  Sure didn't look like it against an outmatched UH team that has since repeatedly shit the bed.

Hurts is and will always be a threat to beat us with his legs, because he can get the hard yards that Kyler/Baker would never try for.  But this offense is significantly less lethal than any other OU offense of the past four-ish years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I think you're overstimating OU's OL and running game.  I also think you're understimating the pressure OU's QB counter scheme put on defenses with Kyler.  And you're understimating the benefit of having Hollywood Brown standing at the LOS, ready to go from 0-60 the moment the ball is flipped to him in the flat.

This is Riley's worst offense at OU--and it's not close.  No idea whether the D is any better or not.  Sure didn't look like it against an outmatched UH team that has since repeatedly shit the bed.

Hurts is and will always be a threat to beat us with his legs, because he can get the hard yards that Kyler/Baker would never try for.  But this offense is significantly less lethal than any other OU offense of the past four-ish years.

I agree that it looks that way to you.

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Definitely going to have to play zone and not blitz 5 very often. We don’t keep any discipline in our rushing lanes when we blitz and Hurts will run all over us if we do. We need to play stout against the traditional run game and make Hurts go through multiple progressions in the pocket and rally to him when he runs. 

Stunt or fire zone to create inside pressure and flush him.  He's got speed but not much quickness outside the pocket so good angles by the spy and secondary should usher him out for short gains when he scrambles.  Just can't let him break straight upfield or let him out with time to set his feet and throw.

23 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't know jack about OU's relative strength or weakness compared to previous seasons, but I do know you play the run first, but you don't do it with "a heavy box". 5 guys are plenty.

Will it work? Dunno. But I ain't skeert.

OU's most dangerous running play is the Counter Trey.  It's slow developing by definition with a huge OT pulling all the way across the formation.  That's why ISU defended OU so much better than than they did vs Texas.  The 3 defenders coming up from depth in run support need time to get there.  Counter Trey gives them that time.  Tight zone and power/iso don't.  Texas can probably play base dime with the Joker coming downhill right into the pulling guard's inside hip.  See what he's kicking out for.  In the Army we used to call that reconnaissance by fire.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Already got a flip pick from Billy Embody.

- Embody's notes

"This one has been in the works for a bit now, but Covington (La.) OLB Edgerrin Cooper picked up an LSU offer. I’ve put my Crystal Ball on LSU."

"My bet is Harris/Cooper as far as OLB guys.
Touched base with Cooper. We’re talking tomorrow. Says a ton going on right now, but excited about the offer."

Am assuming he means he expects LSU to get both Harris and Cooper.

(In other words - Embody predicting errybody.)

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Losing Watts makes blOU depth chart better for Josh Eaton... gonna be even more of a dogfight with Texas.

I don't know if losing a commitment ever really makes a school look better for a priority recruit. Most competitive people want to be a part of something on the upswing.

Edgerrin Cooper is OU's third highest rated defensive commit

He'd be 10th (last) in Texas' class, or 11th if you want to count Collins

I'd love to flip Washington; that would really fuck up their shitty defensive class 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I'd love to flip Washington; that would really fuck up their shitty defensive class 

Their defensive recruiting was bad before losing Watt and maybe Cooper. If they lose both of them, then that is one of the shittiest defensive hauls in a top 10 or 15 class ever. With Cooper, they only have 5/17 commits on defense and only 2 are 4 stars. They have one ATH (Graham) who could be either CB or WR, but with Riley, I’ll bet he’s a WR first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

They are going after several JUCO DL.  They lose Gallimore, Overton, and Mann after this season.

23 hours ago, texifornia said:

I don't know if losing a commitment ever really makes a school look better for a priority recruit. Most competitive people want to be a part of something on the upswing.

I usually agree with yah @texifornia but in this instance your statement is too extreme and therefore incorrect.

Lots of players want to start at blOU as soon as they can.  Eaton may really like that blOU has one less player in their depth chart with Watts leaving.

58 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I usually agree with yah @texifornia but in this instance your statement is too extreme and therefore incorrect.

Lots of players want to start at blOU as soon as they can.  Eaton may really like that blOU has one less player in their depth chart with Watts leaving.

Going to suck for him. He needs a RS season for as raw as he is technically.  

Lol this is Alan Hale, an OU247 mod. This is some sad sad stuff.

Spoiler

The OU - Texas games usually manage to spawn the unexpected. In some ways due to the intense rivalry that generally gives the underdog a dose of ‘super powers’ like a can of Popeye spinach. The underdog can gamble, the favorite must play it safe. And then there’s the curious but accepted ‘referee factor’ that favors the Horns nine times out of ten. Where was the instant reply when Keith Stanberry left 10 feet of skid marks in the endzone? (Heck, where were the refs? Right, standing 3 feet away).

But let’s fast forward to now.

On Saturday, the Longhorns found themselves in a dogfight on the road at West Virginia, only leading by one score entering the third quarter. Austin Kendall, (our former back-up since traded to West Virginia for Jalen Hurts), coughed up four oskies to the Horns Saturday, (and usually a turn-over results in a 3 - 7 point swing). Yet despite four gifts, UT was only able to squeeze out an 11 point win after West Virginia jumped out to a 14-7 lead.

Texas coach Tom Herman praised his defense for making key plays when West Virginia had a chance to retake the lead after halftime. That came as the Longhorns' offense sputtered, punting on four of its first five drives in the second half while also having to overcome an Ehlinger interception.

''We knew this was going to be a really tough environment,'' Herman said. Note to PeeWee: Morgantown is tough, but it ain’t the Cotton Bowl.

However the Sooners, who were as lethargic as the weather in Lawrence, didn’t exactly blow the doors off anyone, (although it was a much better outcome than last year, when OU allowed 40 points in a 15 point win). A few missing starters on the O-line will have Bill Bedenbaugh checking the medical reports on the hour as the Sooners O-line missed numerous blocking assignments, but somehow managed to overcome a laundry list of penalties and beat a Kansas team that may not be as good as the Mountaineers.

Even with erratic play and an obvious effort by KU to run clock, OU still amassed 545 yards, and Lincoln Riley noted that there was plenty of good mixed in with the bad: "What's exciting is you see glimpses of what it can be, and it's on us to turn those glimpses into longer stretches of dominant play," Riley said afterward.

So yes, the Texas defense will be tough. ‘Sam the Man’ will bulldoze his way to numerous first downs, probably a couple of TD’s as well. There will be some disgusting calls, most likely on Parnell Motley, who has the propensity to draw yellow hankies like a magnet, however, from this position, I cannot see Jalen Hurts throwing four picks.

Without the ‘Ref Factor’ this should be a three touchdown OU win, but I suspect the refs will show and we’ll have a dogfight to the finish

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Lol this is Joey Heimer, an OU mod. This is some sad sad stuff.

Hide contents

The OU - Texas games usually manage to spawn the unexpected. In some ways due to the intense rivalry that generally gives the underdog a dose of ‘super powers’ like a can of Popeye spinach. The underdog can gamble, the favorite must play it safe. And then there’s the curious but accepted ‘referee factor’ that favors the Horns nine times out of ten. Where was the instant reply when Keith Stanberry left 10 feet of skid marks in the endzone? (Heck, where were the refs? Right, standing 3 feet away).

But let’s fast forward to now.

On Saturday, the Longhorns found themselves in a dogfight on the road at West Virginia, only leading by one score entering the third quarter. Austin Kendall, (our former back-up since traded to West Virginia for Jalen Hurts), coughed up four oskies to the Horns Saturday, (and usually a turn-over results in a 3 - 7 point swing). Yet despite four gifts, UT was only able to squeeze out an 11 point win after West Virginia jumped out to a 14-7 lead.

Texas coach Tom Herman praised his defense for making key plays when West Virginia had a chance to retake the lead after halftime. That came as the Longhorns' offense sputtered, punting on four of its first five drives in the second half while also having to overcome an Ehlinger interception.

''We knew this was going to be a really tough environment,'' Herman said. Note to PeeWee: Morgantown is tough, but it ain’t the Cotton Bowl.

However the Sooners, who were as lethargic as the weather in Lawrence, didn’t exactly blow the doors off anyone, (although it was a much better outcome than last year, when OU allowed 40 points in a 15 point win). A few missing starters on the O-line will have Bill Bedenbaugh checking the medical reports on the hour as the Sooners O-line missed numerous blocking assignments, but somehow managed to overcome a laundry list of penalties and beat a Kansas team that may not be as good as the Mountaineers.

Even with erratic play and an obvious effort by KU to run clock, OU still amassed 545 yards, and Lincoln Riley noted that there was plenty of good mixed in with the bad: "What's exciting is you see glimpses of what it can be, and it's on us to turn those glimpses into longer stretches of dominant play," Riley said afterward.

So yes, the Texas defense will be tough. ‘Sam the Man’ will bulldoze his way to numerous first downs, probably a couple of TD’s as well. There will be some disgusting calls, most likely on Parnell Motley, who has the propensity to draw yellow hankies like a magnet, however, from this position, I cannot see Jalen Hurts throwing four picks.

Without the ‘Ref Factor’ this should be a three touchdown OU win, but I suspect the refs will show and we’ll have a dogfight to the finish

Pathetic Sooner trash.

How in the fuck is an OU mod talking about the “ref factor” that much? Where all these clearly biased UT calls aggy and OU losers keep talking about? I’ve yet to see hardly any of them. 

• Like 3

We’re the only team I’ve ever seen have pass plays repeatedly reviewed for OPI in front of the play- something OU has done for years. Not to mention OU’s incessant holding. And anyone who saw OU play Kansas saw Kansas get called for a late hit out of bounds when the play was still live and the player was completely in bounds  

OU fans can fuck themselves. They whine more than any winning fanbase out there. It’s 9:44, and OU still sucks!

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

OU fans are lying retards.  They use a single Keith Stanberry play in 1984 to constantly lie about the 'ref factor'.  NOBODY in the country holds more than those cheating clowns and they never get called for it.  By that I mean holding by their OL, WRs and DBs.  Every play.  STFU, retarded $ooner bitch.

• Like 5