Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I knew a San Francisco girl whose dad bought her into SMU. She spent her spring break money home from Mexico on a boob job and then got daddy to buy the flight anyway. As an outside observer, I didn't hate it to be honest.

I've worked with a lot of SC kids, similar stories.

23 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ryan Brauninger

9:53p 

Staff

Back from vacation and have been able to pick up a few pieces of intel on some big names across greater Houston. 

I'll start with 2022 North Shore CB Denver Harris who I was able to speak with face-to-face a few days ago. The potential 5 star corner gave me the impression that he's nowhere near ready to make a decision, and he didn't want to give too much away in terms of which way he was leaning or even what schools were standing out to him. When I brought up A&M, he continued to kind of beat around the bush in regards to where the Aggies stand for him early on. He did say more than once that he really likes Jimbo Fisher and enjoys talking with the head coach. He also said he's happy to see A&M commit and teammate Shadrach Banks back moving around on the football field after he lost most of his junior season to injuries. Denver said he and Banks like to talk trash to one another during one-on-ones, and he likes the challenge of covering Shadrach because he knows it makes him better. Overall, I didn't get the greatest Maroon & White vibe off of Harris, but there's still a ways to go in that one.

Moving on to 2021, I spoke to a source today regarding DE Tunmise Adeleye. It sounds like A&M and Terry Price have continued to stay in that consistent communication mode that they've been in since even before he backed away from his pledge to Ohio State. Tunmise has a long-standing relationship with TP, and that bond continued despite him committing elsewhere. That being said, my source said he'd put the odds somewhere around 75% that the former Katy Tompkins standout ends up in Gainesville - which coincides with everything we'd heard in the last week. Tim Brewster has been one of the lead recruiters for Florida in this one, and the Gators have really upped their pursuit and priority for Tunmise in the last month or so. They view him as an immediate impact, difference maker, and, with the uncertainty at Ohio State regarding the future of the football program and their future plans for Tunmise, it opened the doors for Dan Mullen and company to make this big move. I'm hoping to have more specifics from the A&M side soon to see exactly where the Aggies currently sit in this one. 

Lastly, I can say that the Texas smoke around CyFair RB LJ Johnson Jr is somewhat warranted, but it hasn't stopped the longtime target from talking with various members of the Aggie staff. One source told me today that they'd be surprised if LJ made any type of decision in the immediate future, but the kid does keep a lot of things close to the vest. Our recruiting team did hear that LJ spoke with Jimbo Fisher at length earlier this week, as well. 

I'll be real curious how aggie recruiting does if their money guys have truly stopped or reduced spending. Does Adidas reduce or stop spending all together this year, that feeds the trainers. They have some guys on the books, that roster is not going to deal well with a 6 win season and no payments. They can all go to their home states for that.

Edited by Goodman
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I've worked with a lot of SC kids, similar stories.

Totally. It's working hard to be the Duke of the West, and a lot of their newer grads reflect that, but they'll always take that certain group of moneyed kids to do the big college version of keeping the lights on.

But every major college does that. I had a high school classmate who was a really solid dude but an unenthusiastic C+ kind of student. Got into Harvard. Turns out his family (the Ayalas) pretty much run the Philippines.

Can't depend on it too much. Apparently Iowa is really struggling without their usual cohort of wealthy Chinese kids. https://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/2019/11/11/international-student-enrollment-drops-university-iowa-again/4169992002/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

Staff

Back from vacation and have been able to pick up a few pieces of intel on some big names across greater Houston. 

I'll start with 2022 North Shore CB Denver Harris who I was able to speak with face-to-face a few days ago. The potential 5 star corner gave me the impression that he's nowhere near ready to make a decision, and he didn't want to give too much away in terms of which way he was leaning or even what schools were standing out to him. When I brought up A&M, he continued to kind of beat around the bush in regards to where the Aggies stand for him early on. He did say more than once that he really likes Jimbo Fisher and enjoys talking with the head coach. He also said he's happy to see A&M commit and teammate Shadrach Banks back moving around on the football field after he lost most of his junior season to injuries. Denver said he and Banks like to talk trash to one another during one-on-ones, and he likes the challenge of covering Shadrach because he knows it makes him better. Overall, I didn't get the greatest Maroon & White vibe off of Harris, but there's still a ways to go in that one.

Moving on to 2021, I spoke to a source today regarding DE Tunmise Adeleye. It sounds like A&M and Terry Price have continued to stay in that consistent communication mode that they've been in since even before he backed away from his pledge to Ohio State. Tunmise has a long-standing relationship with TP, and that bond continued despite him committing elsewhere. That being said, my source said he'd put the odds somewhere around 75% that the former Katy Tompkins standout ends up in Gainesville - which coincides with everything we'd heard in the last week. Tim Brewster has been one of the lead recruiters for Florida in this one, and the Gators have really upped their pursuit and priority for Tunmise in the last month or so. They view him as an immediate impact, difference maker, and, with the uncertainty at Ohio State regarding the future of the football program and their future plans for Tunmise, it opened the doors for Dan Mullen and company to make this big move. I'm hoping to have more specifics from the A&M side soon to see exactly where the Aggies currently sit in this one. 

Lastly, I can say that the Texas smoke around CyFair RB LJ Johnson Jr is somewhat warranted, but it hasn't stopped the longtime target from talking with various members of the Aggie staff. One source told me today that they'd be surprised if LJ made any type of decision in the immediate future, but the kid does keep a lot of things close to the vest. Our recruiting team did hear that LJ spoke with Jimbo Fisher at length earlier this week, as well. 

“Somewhat warranted.” These guys and their fucking tells. Also, the uncertainty of Ohio State’s football program? Do these dipshits believe that recruits think Ohio State is permanently shuttering their program? Only they’re that stupid right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

For Looch to say this Harris must’ve physically shit directly on an aggy jersey during the interview

I'm sure you, along with most of the rest of us, are completely shocked a big time Texas kid for 22' outside of Dickinson or Katy has pretty much zero interest in aggressive.

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

Staff

So LJ spoke at length with Fisher earlier in the week and then shortly after all the Texas smoke started happening.

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Supposedly teasing good 2022 news for us today

"While it's looking very likely that Ewers will indeed commit to Hermensa soon, Coach Fisher isn't as high on Ewers as all these tu biased services and has his sites set on multiple other targets from the great north east"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Aggy AD admits they're a little fucked financially

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork is in the business of college football and he appeared on ESPN broadcaster Marty Smith's podcast to discuss the economic aspects of what he and other athletic directors are facing across the college sports landscape.

Bjork tried to put some perspective on the economics of college football, noting that the money paid in from the sport was the only way that schools could create opportunities for student-athletes because A&M does not receive subsidies from other sources such as the state of Texas. 

"It gets reported that we had a $212 million budget in the latest public reports that's off of fiscal year 2019," Bjork said, "and that's a little bit inflated in terms of what we operate on because it included some debt service for Kyle Field. Our normal operating budget...we're in the $165 to $170 million operating budget to pay the bills, to pay the scholarships, those sort of things.

"Football alone makes up about $110 million alone of that budget and so there's really no formula that if you don't have football how do you make that up? I don't have a binder with me, in my desk Marty, that says here's the plan, the blueprint, for making it up. It's monumental. It could be catastrophic. That's the sheer numbers."

Bjork has already had to adjust that budget based on the fact that the Aggies' nonconference schedule of four home games would not be played. Although one of the lost games will be offset by moving the game with Arkansas from AT&T Stadium in Arlington to College Station, it's far from enough to compensate A&M for the revenues lost of not playing the other three contests."

"We knew that there would be an impact of not playing the seven games,"he said. "We knew we would be playing here at Kyle Field. We took our normal operating budget and reduced it by about $16 million (already reported by Bjork). We knew that we wouldn't sell as many tickets, that we wouldn't have as many sponsors, our licensing revenue is down, we just protected ourselves.

"Well now, that we're only playing five football games based on out current scheduling model, that's going to be another $12 to $20 million reduction on top of the $16 million. We'll save some money, we'll save some expenses, but you're talking about real numbers, livelihoods, laying people off, reducing salaries. We've been spared that so far even with the $16 million reduction. We haven't had any salary reductions or lay anyone off or furlough anyone. Going into this next phase, those things have to be on the table."

And even then, that's not the worst case scenario. Bjork indicated that football and men's basketball bring in positive cash flows but otherwise as he put it, "football drives it".

"Then, if you don't play, then it becomes catastrophic where we're just trying to do all of the right things to protect our players, public health, and be able to operate in all of this," he said.

In fact, the athletic department is not the only one with livelihoods at stake given the lack of football either. Bjork notes that it's a burden that he shares even if he is not directly responsible for it. 

"It's the economic driver and then it drives the local economy," he said. "I talk to local business and hotel owner and they're all going 'Ross, keep fighting. We need football"

• Hook 'Em 2

Regarding ""It gets reported that we had a $212 million budget in the latest public reports that's off of fiscal year 2019," Bjork said, "and that's a little bit inflated in terms of what we operate on because it included some debt service for Kyle Field. Our normal operating budget...we're in the $165 to $170 million operating budget to pay the bills, to pay the scholarships, those sort of things."

So does that mean b/c we are all in "hard times" they get to just not pay their debt service? all $47M of it?

"A&M does not receive subsidies from other sources such as the state of Texas" .... right! this can't be true.

51 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Regarding ""It gets reported that we had a $212 million budget in the latest public reports that's off of fiscal year 2019," Bjork said, "and that's a little bit inflated in terms of what we operate on because it included some debt service for Kyle Field. Our normal operating budget...we're in the $165 to $170 million operating budget to pay the bills, to pay the scholarships, those sort of things."

So does that mean b/c we are all in "hard times" they get to just not pay their debt service? all $47M of it?

"A&M does not receive subsidies from other sources such as the state of Texas" .... right! this can't be true.

When Johnnie Sharp is done with those books, they won't be able to count to 10 without pause.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, SydneyCarton said:

@jordanaggie Sir, see above. 

I'm not sure what kind of response you wanted on this, but I think both are significantly underwhelming.  Other than Green, our highest ranked guys (Blanton, Reed and Matthews) have been big letdowns, IMO.  I don't think our change to zone blocking did the group of prior recruits any favors, but OL has not be a strong point, that's for damn sure.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder if our depth is working against us? Also,
Jimbo strongly prefers experience.

He would compete for carries in '21 against spiller, ainias, achane, and 3 more power backs. Unless he is awesome, he plays STs as a fish. Figure spiller and ainias probably declare or transfer after '21.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

The Life of Jimbo really doubled down ::

Okay, but you also have to view this class in context. There are three qb’s listed in the top 20, all 3 we passed on. Didn’t offer McCutchin. Didn’t pursue Quay Davis. Didn’t even offer Clayton Smith. Didn’t pursue Byrd. Fighting for Foster and LJ. Didn’t really go after Wheaton. Bowman and Sanders never really considered us as well as Brockermeyer, who we all know was never even considering us. So that leaves us with three viable misses in Jojo, Jackson, and Jackson. What is 3/20? I don’t think it’s a matter of us needing to recruit better, rather our interests lay vested in other prospects. We’ll see 2022, I would imagine a majority of our targets come from Texas.

nathan fillion hd GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Imagine trying to comfort yourself by pointing out that Jimbo didn't even offer Clayton Smith. 

7zkK.gif

I like how they ignore the fact all the ones they lost out to Texas on and would absolutely take commitments from: Conner, Sanders, Ibraheem, Thomas, Harris + Coley offering Davis shortly after arriving.

49 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I like how they ignore the fact all the ones they lost out to Texas on and would absolutely take commitments from: Conner, Sanders, Ibraheem, Thomas, Harris + Coley offering Davis shortly after arriving.

It's classic stuff. They are sitting at the 17th class in the country and 6th in their own conference but haven't really missed on anyone. Things going exactly according to plan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

@Lobwedgephil Liucci just posted a recruiting heads up.

Need info

Was just preparing them for Ewers. 

Spoiler

Liucci

12:05p 

Staff

AG

Sounds like the Horns could be getting some big news on the '22 recruiting front today. We'll see if it comes to fruition but could make things interesting on multiple fronts. Stay tuned.

Liucci

In reply to Mike Cee •  12:17p 

Staff

AG

Mike Cee said:

Bobby Taylor?

No. Not Bobby.

Liucci

In reply to Stormblitz II •  12:19p 

Staff

AG

Stormblitz II said:

They're getting Ewers

Keep fighting for Ty Simpson and we'll be alright.

Ty Simpson is elite elite. There are some strong ties with A&M there but they're going to have to fight off everyone in college football who matters outside of probably LSU (they have legacy kid Howard committed and he's a total stud, too), OU (signing the nation's No. 1 this year) and wherever Ewers winds up.

Liucci

In reply to AGinNB •  12:23p 

Staff

AG

AGinNB said:

If it's Ewers then maybe Milroe goes to Bama and then we lead for LJ again...

If that's the case, Milroe would likely say all the right things but, damn, it will be interesting to see where the push comes from for the Katy Tompkins QB. If it's Bama, you have to think things would escalate at some point along the way. And, yes, the Horns' recent momentum surge with LJ has a LOT to do with Milroe's recruitment of him.

Liucci

In reply to DisappointedAg •  12:24p 

Staff

AG

AginCal said:

Why would Ewers want to go to sip? Their OL is trash. I could understand OU.

DisappointedAg said:

Everything I've seen shows me he was raised a sip like Ehlinger. 

He was.

Liucci

In reply to AginCal •  12:26p 

Staff

AG

AginCal said:

That place is a train wreck. I'm surprised he isn't seeing what the Brockmeyers saw.

Well if they play football this year, it's two seasons until he signs so who knows. Texas could go unbeaten or 9-1 with a rematch vs OU in the Big 12 title game with Ehlinger and this year's schedule, which could be one of the easiest in NCAA history (depending on teams like Ok State, TCU and Iowa State) or they could go 7-3 and Herman would absolutely be on the hot seat entering 2021 and he'd be doing so while replacing a top 3 QB in school history with a first-year starter. 

Liucci

In reply to amskier1 •  1:00p 

Staff

AG

AGinNB said:

If it's Ewers then maybe Milroe goes to Bama and then we lead for LJ again...

amskier1 said:

Just out of curiosity, why would Milroe go to Bama and sit behind 5* Young? He possibly never plays there whereas, if he goes to Austin, maybe no guarantee but, he has a real shot to play as a true fish and if he does and does well, he could possibly buy himself a second year to hold off Ewers until Ewers is able to adjust to college and the D schemes he will face. I don't see him holding off Ewers more than 1 year if he can do that but, if he gets to play 1 year that is better than none at Bama. Also, it seems if he goes to Bama doesn't that just make it easier for LJ to follow him?

I'll be sure to pass this along to Coach Herman so they can prepare.

Liucci

In reply to Billy Moose •  1:03p 

Staff

AG

Billy Moose said:

This is awful news. The only silver lining is that most of the top talent is in Houston next year and Ewers is in DFW. Aside from that, this absolutely sucks. We need games to start so we can start whooping ass and Herman can go 6-4 and show what a fraud he is.

It's not awful news for A&M from the sense that they lost someone anyone was expecting to be an Aggie. They were merely in his recruitment. You have to see if they were to land someone like Ty Simpson or if Klubnik were to blow up this fall before saying it was in any way terrible news for the Aggies. It's certainly one of those instances where you'd rather see Ewers land somewhere other than Austin where he could potentially revive their miserable current recruiting trend (inflated rankings aside) but, again, (hopefully) two seasons left to played between now and then.

You just can't react as if everything that happens is an absolute disaster for TAMU because it's usually not. Way more often than not, it's going to be anything but. We cry 'disaster' too much around here. 

Liucci

In reply to Liucci •  1:07p 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

amskier1 said:

Just out of curiosity, why would Milroe go to Bama and sit behind 5* Young? He possibly never plays there whereas, if he goes to Austin, maybe no guarantee but, he has a real shot to play as a true fish and if he does and does well, he could possibly buy himself a second year to hold off Ewers until Ewers is able to adjust to college and the D schemes he will face. I don't see him holding off Ewers more than 1 year if he can do that but, if he gets to play 1 year that is better than none at Bama. Also, it seems if he goes to Bama doesn't that just make it easier for LJ to follow him?

Liucci said:

I'll be sure to pass this along to Coach Herman so they can prepare.

And i'm giving you a hard time. It's certainly a point I'm sure the Texas staff is already out in front of. Still, if Bama or perhaps another legitimate power decide to make a run at him, things do get very interesting as I said. Like I said, he'll say all the right things but it will be fascinating to see where the eventual push comes from.

As for LJ, I do think Texas poses a greater threat simply because of proximity. And the Ags are still very much in that one.

Liucci

In reply to DTP02 •  1:08p 

Staff

AG

DTP02 said:

The problem with the idea about the Milroe domino falling away from tu is I'm not sure if Bama will make that final push for him. They're really good at making enough of a push to keep kids interested and make them feel wanted, but they typically have several options they're looking at and only one will be the true high priority. 

I agree with this. Which is why I'm wondering if someone else who lives inside the top-10 and in need of a QB will see an opening and predate.

Edited by Lobwedgephil
  • Hook 'Em 1

All the talent is in Houston for 2022? What the fuck?

Ewers - Dallas

Campbell - Dallas

Burton - Austin

Sylla - Houston

Harris - Houston

Stewart - Dallas

Abor - Dallas

Cooper - Dallas

Allen - Dallas

McKinzie - Lubbock

Maybe he meant all the talent in Texas that aggy has at least a chance with, and really it's Sylla, they have no shot at Harris.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, HtownHorn said:

All the talent is in Houston for 2022? What the fuck?

Ewers - Dallas

Campbell - Dallas

Burton - Austin

Sylla - Houston

Harris - Houston

Stewart - Dallas

Abor - Dallas

Cooper - Dallas

Allen - Dallas

McKinzie - Lubbock

When your coach doesn’t recruit the state you forget the different regions 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol Chin pubes is such a salty bitch “easiest schedule in NCAA history” my ass, that was y’all’s schedule until a week ago.

Haha, the caveat of "depending on teams like Ok State, TCU, and Iowa state" is doing a lot of work in that sentence. 

Sure, every sports writer in the country thinks OSU and ISU will be pretty solid teams at worst, but...what if they are actually terrible? What a joke of a schedule they have compounded by the fact that depending on teams like Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and South Carolina the Fightin' Ags will boast the toughest schedule in the history of the sport!

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
I'm old and don't know how to use the Internet so sorry if this has already been discussed. Looks like the Southlake Carroll QB may be the #1 player in the nation and the top qb recruit since Trevor Lawrence. It seems like these are the type of QB battles we need to win but it doesn't look like we are anywhere in the picture for him. In Southlake inside scoop out there. If he is the real deal, the timing of his development in '22, '23' and '24 could be perfect for our rise to a National Championship.

I've watched his tape and heard the Trevor Lawrence comparisons and I don't get it. He looks like a quality QB and will start probably wherever he ends up. But from what I've seen I don't see a Lawrence or a Fields. He looks more comparable to a Tannehill to me.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3124945/last