New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

On 3/10/2019 at 6:50 PM, kevwun said:

Flying in late Thursday also.  Breakfast at Brennan's on Friday and dinner at Commander's Palace that night.  Lunch at Domenica on Saturday and then we have a wedding at Hotel Monteleone that night.

I subscribe to your lifestyle. 

Commander's is a classy joint. I still think it's the best server service in the country. The wife and I went for a special occasion, and they really did a nice job on short notice. If you don't order the turtle soup with sherry as an appetizer, you're doing it wrong.

We ended up eating at gw fins last night instead of cp. a 3 Bloody Mary brunch yesterday followed by a day of drinking meant we had to cancel our reservation. Went to fins late and ate at the bar. Their blackened swordfish is excellent. Also they have royal red shrimp right now. They are a deep water variety and taste a lot like lobster. Worth getting if you ever see them on a menu somewhere.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, kevwun said:

We ended up eating at gw fins last night instead of cp. a 3 Bloody Mary brunch yesterday followed by a day of drinking meant we had to cancel our reservation. Went to fins late and ate at the bar. Their blackened swordfish is excellent. Also they have royal red shrimp right now. They are a deep water variety and taste a lot like lobster. Worth getting if you ever see them on a menu somewhere.

Love royal reds!!!

Thanks, it’s on my list. Would welcome a report. 
Pretty good selection of raw oysters. We had the chicken fried oysters (not pictured) and the seaworthy roll (crawfish roll).

Roll was good, fried oysters outstanding, very solid cocktails. We'll go back for a late night meal. ee774f2a3b2d08a7e30238434bdde0ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got here last night (Thursday) for Jazzfest. 

Have a three year old and and 7 month old in tow, so not as crazy as years past. We have an AirBNB in Midtown. 

Went to Parkway Tavern on @Brisketexan’s recommendation for a good spot with kids. Did not disappoint. 

Doing family stuff today, like the aquarium, today, Jazzfest tomorrow.

Had Domenica for lunch, hitting Zasu for dinner, Brennan’s for breakfast before the festival Saturday. 

Going to have the 3 year old on my own on Sunday and don’t have plans yet; but it will probably involve kid friendly food. 

Flew in Tuesday night, Weds am Lunch was Acme vs Felix, Felix won. Acme just doesn’t take the care in shucking oysters and the last two times I’ve been there they were over cooked and had bits of shell

Weds night was one of my favorites, GW Fins. We ate all the apps, red shrimp, tempura wings (fish throats), pork belly, raw snapper. Was outstanding. 

Thursday the storms had us hunkering down. Then drove to Biloxi and on the way hit the Lost Cajun in Slidell, which was excellent.

Then fished 2 days in the Chandeleur Islands.

Then drove back to NOLA this morning, ate at Stanley for breakfast. Spent the day at the WW2 museum and then had at early dinner at GW Fins  and flew home.

it was a damn good week. 

Was there last weekend for Jazzfest.

The best new place we tried was Piece of Meat, up in Mid City. Worth the trip, even if you’re staying in the Quarter. The owner used to be the butcher at Cochon, but opened her own place about a year ago.

d866282c6d60c7c529e2c7cf8094205a.jpg

Here’s what we had -

Boudain Egg Rolls:

8f0d10aafcd9ef399a6a003b5e40f422.jpg

JoJos with buffalo sauce and blue cheese:

7c127a3c78726723f5ba029e36857be6.jpg

Fancy Chicken Salad:

afb402dbea8ee205d760ac2fdc3a1eb6.jpg

The Wolf’s Bologna:

1e80fafaedef7d636a404984a89ea780.jpg

Biscuit and Gravy:

3fb722f519fe949b71d06430c7673fc2.jpg

Grilled Cheese for the Kiddo:

0ce170c6d77aa266802a64ac6d9e5ce7.jpg

Some adult beverages:

3c758c243c092b0d481ce26235549953.jpg

It was all outstanding. Highly recommend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to NOLA on Tuesday for 5 nights. First time in 2 years. Booked it back in September, so didn’t even realize we were gonna be there during the holiday weekend. 

Last time we were there, we had a group, so we had a lot of tours and kitschy group stuff. Could never get anybody on the same page for meals, so we had to settle a lot on what we could get into at the time. Despite being my birthday trip, I never really got to do what I wanted to do, although I don’t think I paid for a drink all week. 

This time, just the wife and I (no pics). Doing our own thing. Booked The Westin Canal Place on points.  While the wife hits Spa Atlantis the first morning, I’m gonna grab a shave and haircut at The Rooster Club. A good Sazerac soon to follow. Hopefully, a vacation frame of mind will settle in  

Reservations made for Arnaud’s, Mr. B’s, and GW Fins. 

Possibly a trip to Collette one night. 

BUT...the big thing...front row for Paul McCartney on Thursday night. 

Should be one helluva trip. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Cancel Mr. B’s. It’s fallen hard.

Add Doris Metropolitan and Irene’s. 

Thank me later.

My thoughts exactly on Mr. B's.  

I was increasingly disappointed my last two trips. 

Last time everything was just blaaah....Food was mediocre and service was off.   Too many other great options to compromise there. 

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Last time everything was just blaaah....Food was mediocre and service was off.   Too many other great options to compromise there. 

Hmm...might need to rethink then. I did cancel Arnaud’s and booked Irene’s instead because I forgot my suit-bag at home. 

6 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Same for us, which is sad considering how great it once was.  I don't feel the need to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

GF and I got back last week after a 5 night stay. It was the first time visiting Nola for each of us. We had an incredible time and will most likely be going back for at least a weekend every year for the foreseeable future.

Here's what we did/where we ate/drank. There were others but this is fairly comprehensive:

• Peche
  • Cemetery Tour (St. Louis No. 1)
  • Killer PoBoys
  • Cocktail Tour (Antoine's, Brennan's, Broussard's, Carousel Bar)
  • Drago's
  • Cochon Butcher
  • Spotted Cat
  • Willie Mae's Scotch House
  • Cafe du Monde
  • Jackson Square
  • WWII Museum
  • Central Grocery
  • Port of Call
  • Pat O'Brien's
  • Preservation Hall
  • Commander's Palace

We also went and saw the two Banksys that remain out in the wild. That was cool. Main thing that was on our list that we missed was  getting a Ramos Gin Fizz at The Roosevelt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be in New Orleans next week for two days/two nights, the book ends of a fishing trip to Delacroix. We have dinner reservations at La Petite Grocery and I'm thinking the WWII museum, as I'll be with some olds who will probably love that shit.

Ramos Gin Fizz at the Roosevelt is also on the list.

Just got back from a 3 day trip to New Orleans. I'm appreciative of all the great recommendations on this thread. We've resolved to do 2-3 days a year in NO every year from here on out, since we only scratched the surface.

We ate at: Commander's Palace, Cochon, Brennan's, Ruby Slipper, Herbsaint, Cochon Butcher, Mother's (quick breakfast near our hotel, and not nearly as memorable as the rest). Fantastic food and drinks. Looking forward to trying out more.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I don't understand why Mother's is so popular.

I think it's a combination of price, huge menu and solid (never great, never terrible) food at a place that's been around forever. 

Not a bad option for those who just want some grub.  Not a good option for those of us who appreciate a better culinary experience and don't mind spending a little extra.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:10 AM, kevwun said:

I don't understand why Mother's is so popular.

It's not worth waiting in line for but I typically stay nearby and it's a good go to for 1st breakfast. I wake up earlier than my group and there's never a line around 7am. I usually go get a blackened ham biscuit to start me off right for the day. Cheap, easy, delicious. But definitely not in the same category as a Commander's, Brennans, Herbsaint, Cochon, etc.

Spent a few nights in NOLA en route to and from Miami from Texas, 2 nights in April and 2 at the end of May. Happy to share just a couple thoughts about food/drink places. 

Muriel's Jackson Square, FQ - Jazz brunch was fun in a historic setting, food and drink was just okay. 

Sylvain, FQ - Just wandered in off the street looking for some dinner and wanting to avoid the more toursity parts of the Quarter. Tables were full for the night, but squeezed into the bar. Had a delicious crisp duck breast and more than a handful of Sazeracs. 

Domelise, West Riverside - fantastic no-bullshit po'boy shop. Got a massive fried shrimp and fries. Didn't need the fries. Definitely a place for the working class on payday. Highly recommend. 

Commander's Palace, Garden District - great setting, wonderful service, food was great but not the best I've ever had. Get the white chocolate bread pudding for dessert. 

Seaworthy, Warehouse District - good oysters, great punch-inspired cocktails (I emailed them after asking for the spec of their Kumbaya mezcal drink and they obliged), good food but small portions.

Willa Jean, Warehouse District - great brunch. Had the hangover bowl and was full for the entire day. 

Gianna, Warehouse District - good Italian food with a NOLA spin. Wasn't blown away, but definitely satisfied. 

And of course, I stopped at Cafe du Monde both times late at night because the crowds are thin and $3 gets you a lot of beignet. Don't forget cash. 

Enjoy! 

Edit: Also forgot the highly forgettable drink I had at Loa Bar at the International Hotel despite being hyped up. Toasted Bird Seed Old Fashioned was meh. Fiancée didn't finish her drink. 

Edited by Eggo
forgot a forgettable drink

6 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i'm not reading the whole thread, so i'll ask straight up...any of you fuckers been to the Pelican Club?  

Yes, went about 5-6 years back. Really enjoyed it. I don't remember any thing specific, but I remember enjoying the meal, the ambiance, the service, etc. 

Didnt go the last few times we were in NO because we wanted try new places, but Im having a hard time believing Mr Bs dropped that bad. If you would have asked me for the best bowl of gumbo, they would be near or at the top of the list.

Sad if true and hope they right the ship

Spent about 30 hours in New Orleans on our way to some fishing down in Delacroix. Hadn't been in a few years and was so good to be back.

Carousel Lounge – great oyster/shrimp po boys and a fantastic piña colada, great people watching and a fun bar, though the table service sucks. Think there was one server for the whole place and it took forever to get our drinks. 

Longway Tavern – great courtyard and $5 drinks at happy hour, a block off Bourbon but tucked away from the riff raff. Wanted to try the food but didn't want to fill up before dinner. Felt like a mostly locals-only hangout in a good way.

Chart Room – everything a dive bar should be. Good conversation w/ a mix of locals and had three barflies all mistakenly recognize me.

La Petite Grocery – highlight of the trip was the blue crab beignets. The turtle bolognese was outstanding and the cheeseburger was very good. One of my favorite meals ever in New Orleans.

Curio – solid breakfast on a nice patio overlooking the Quarter

Cochon Butcher – always a must-stop for lunch. Didn't venture away from the muffaletta, even though I feel like I should branch out. A damn good sandwich, though I realize there are better in town.

WWII Museum – the film narrated by Tom Hanks was awesome. The rest of the museum was great too and thorough as hell, but the film was for sure the highlight.

Fishing in Delacroix was fantastic. Limited out (5 redfish apiece) within 20 minutes on our first day and had fun chasing bass and drum the rest of the week. The proximity to New Orleans is great and our group loved it.

• Like 1