New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

was there over Thanksgiving. our 7th trip...

oysters - Felix's...or Mr. Ed's (on Bienville), they have charbroiled jalapeno oysters, so goooood

sazerac - French 75 (bar attached to Arnaud's)

brunch - COMMANDER'S PALACE...5 star service with a side of snark, brunch is reasonable...and 25 cent martinis. for $.75 you can be nicely toasted by 1pm 😁 reservation recommended. we do this every trip, it's a blast!

Edited by mchookem

Question about Jacques-Imo’s . 20 years ago (pre-Katrina), I used to frequent a restaurant off of Oak St. but I can't remember the name. It had great food and I think a small dining room in the front and then you would go through the kitchen and it had patio seating and plastic sheets to enclose the patio from the neighborhood. There was a bar (maybe the Maple Leaf) that was nextdoor.

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

It's going to be a muledick party at Willa Jean. Don't think it will be brunch menu though.  Still good food to be had on lunch menu.

I had the same thought so I called and they said it would be brunch. She actually said they were doing brunch everyday for 12 days after Xmas. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Question about Jacques-Imo’s . 20 years ago (pre-Katrina), I used to frequent a restaurant off of Oak St. but I can't remember the name. It had great food and I think a small dining room in the front and then you would go through the kitchen and it had patio seating and plastic sheets to enclose the patio from the neighborhood. There was a bar (maybe the Maple Leaf) that was nextdoor.

I don't know about the patio/plastic sheets, but the rest of it describes J-I's, so that's it.

Edited by hobbs

2 hours ago, hobbs said:

I don't know about the patio/plastic sheets, but the rest of it describes J-I's, so that's it.

Cool. Thanks. It was kind of an unknown when I went to graduate school at Tulane. However, it was one of my favorites. For a student, it was still somewhat affordable but the food was up there with the best. I figured it would have died after Katrina because it wasn’t in a touristy area.

Edited by Bevo

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Cool. Thanks. It was kind of an unknown when I went to graduate school at Tulane. However, it was one of my favorites. For a student, it was still somewhat affordable but the food was up there with the best. I figured it would have died after Katrina because it wasn’t in a touristy area.

It's still damn good and a fun atmosphere.  Alligator cheesecake and the fried chicken are solid.

Recommended:

Turkey and the Wolf - Chicken salad torta was unique and delicious. Less of a chicken salad than a spread made of refried red beans mixed with a spicy peanut salsa.

Molly's Rise and Shine - This is the breakfast offshoot of Turkey and the Wolf. I ordered the breakfast chalupa because it featured the refried red beans and peanut salsa that I enjoyed so much in the torta. Base layer on the chalupa was like an egg salad spread with cotija cheese. Outstanding.

Pontchartrain Hotel - Andouille and duck gumbo and pimento cheese spread were both excellent. Eggs benedict variation was top notch. Rooftop bar was vibing.

Carousel Bar - I could drink a bucket of their pineapple rum cocktail, and the shrimp and oyster poboy sliders were on point.

Popeye's - After several drinks at the Carousel Bar and a hand grenade on Bourbon Street, the 2 piece and biscuit with a side of red beans was the perfect meal.

District Donuts and Sliders - Brown butter cake donut ball was near perfect variation of a traditional old fashioned donut.

Ambivalent:

Maypop - Interesting SE Asian / Italian / Creole fusion place, but ultimately not my cup of tea. 

Peche - We tried all the apps and the Brussels sprouts, but I was not overly impressed with any of them. Fish entrees were decent.

Cafe du Monde - Beignets at the to-go counter were hot and crispy, but they probably would have been anywhere. Wife's first time in New Orleans, so she needed to cross it off her list.

Disappointing:

Commander's Palace - Shrimp and tasso hennican saved this meal. Everything else was a big disappointment.

Joey K's - Debris poboy was okay but the red beans and jambalaya were crap. Should have pushed for Coop's or Willie Mae's.

Shaya - Good pita and hummus, but the sandwiches were bland and the fries were total dogshit. Crispy halloumi salad was flavorless.

Pho Kang - We picked the nearest pho place within walking distance. I was hopeful that the Vietnamese scene would be as good as it is in Houston. Maybe it is, but this place was not.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

If your group wants beignets, go to Cafe Beignet on Royal St.  Much shorter wait and they are just as good.  You can also get other breakfast food there  Had a pretty good andouille omelet the last time we went.

I agree with this.  Have taken several people there who want beignets but didn't need to have the du Monde experience.  All their breakfast dishes I've had were good.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, Gen. Applewhite said:

No wait at the walk-up window for Cafe du Monde. Not sure why anybody would wait for a table in that massive corral. Even if you ended up on the perimeter you're going to have a nice view of the line and/or panhandlers. Do they have anything other than beignets and coffee that might require a sit-down?

I always get them to go and eat them around Jackson square. Fuck all that noise waiting for a table. 

Would the weekend of February 14th be a shitty time to go to NOLA? I'm trying to piggy back on my wife's work trip but it appears a lot of the flights and hotels are sold out. I know they have all the parades and everything but is it enough were we couldn't get into the restaurants and bars or at least get any reservations? The whole reason we're going is to eat.

15 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Would the weekend of February 14th be a shitty time to go to NOLA? I'm trying to piggy back on my wife's work trip but it appears a lot of the flights and hotels are sold out. I know they have all the parades and everything but is it enough were we couldn't get into the restaurants and bars or at least get any reservations? The whole reason we're going is to eat.

Better hurry! We are going to the Fleetwood Mac concert and just booked out of ABIA and had very limited options, DFW was worse. Hotels were full as well and the ones in the Qtr had increased rates for that weekend. We got a room at Le Richelieu, hope it’s decent. Haven’t even started with restaurant reservations.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:47 PM, Spur08 said:

Valentine’s Day and President’s Day weekend? You’re probably fine just walking into any restaurant without a reservation.  

• Haha 1

Ok.  I've officially booked a weekend in NOLA Feb 14-17.  My wife will be there all week for her conference but will be free starting Friday around 10 AM.  I don't really know what's going on that weekend but a bunch of flights and hotels are all sold out.  I'll be staying with my wife at the Intercontinental in the business district until Friday when we check into the ALOFT off Canal.  The bad news is that I have like a 7 AM flight out of DAL, but the good news is I get into MSY around 8:30!  I'm working on narrowing a list of places to hit up while we're there (been 3x before), but welcome all new recs in between the airport and in/around the business district for lunch.  Also, I have Thursday all by myself, so I'm trying to figure out what to do other than get hammered drunk -- which is a good fallback plan.  I thought about going to a cooking class and saw the recommendation further upthread and was curious if anyone else had any experience doing a cooking class while there?  Any other recommendations of shit to do?

WW2 museum? Blow your wad at Harrahs? If I had a full day solo I'd go tour Oak Alley and Nottaway Plantation if I had never been. Just rent a car and go drive north on river road on the West Bank and see what there is to see. Stop and climb the levee periodically and just meditate for a moment.

What fascinates me about NOLA is that the city shouldn't exist at all. Without human intervention the river would have already changed its main channel back to the Achafalaya.

If I'd seen the plantations and the museums already then I'd go charter an airboat and get a swamp tour. Or maybe get a tee time at the TPC.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:36 PM, BearSchlong said:

Or if you are weary of CDM and want to get out and actually see New Orleans, head over to city park and get your coffee au lait and beignets at Morning Call. Open 24/7 every day except christmas.

F them for closing the one by Lakeside Mall near the causeway

2 hours ago, elfenix said:
3 hours ago, Your Mom said:
Anybody have a recommendation for a lunch stop on the drive from Austin to New Orleans?  Something in East TX or west LA along I-10?  Quick, casual, and cajun.  
Anywhere between Beaumont/PA and Lake Charles?

Darrell's in Lake Charles.

MF'ing this, although if you get the Special, you'll need a nap before proceeding to New Orleans.

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'll not stand here and listen to you denigrate the greatness that is a drunkenly consumed Lucky Dog.

that's because you're so hammered you've wandered halfway down the street and are currently falling for the "tell you where you got them shoes" bit

17 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'll not stand here and listen to you denigrate the greatness that is a drunkenly consumed Lucky Dog.

Way back in Mardi Gras of 95, I got one, slathered it with lots of mustard, took a bite and found it cold.

so I Swindelled it into a crowd. I bet it hit 10 people before it hit the ground. The image of that Lucky Dog skipping off people, mustard going everywhere is one I won’t soon forget.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2