New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

Way back in Mardi Gras of 95, I got one, slathered it with lots of mustard, took a bite and found it cold.

so I Swindelled it into a crowd. I bet it hit 10 people before it hit the ground. The image of that Lucky Dog skipping off people, mustard going everywhere is one I won’t soon forget.

See, that’s a great story you can share with your kids and grandkids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are kicking off the New Years/Sugar Bowl trip with dinner at Compere Lapin tonorrow night. For those that have been - what's the dress code like? Open Table says business casual but the photos I've seen look a bit more casual. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We are kicking off the New Years/Sugar Bowl trip with dinner at Compere Lapin tonorrow night. For those that have been - what's the dress code like? Open Table says business casual but the photos I've seen look a bit more casual. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It’s casual. I went in June and wore shorts and a nice t-shirt. I’ll also be there tomorrow.

• Like 1

Anyone have ideas for semi-casual early dinner pre-game Tues?  We have Mr. B's at Noon.   I assume Acme and Felix's will be a ridiculous line but can anyone think of something similar in quarter or on way to stadium?  Would prefer to not eat stadium food in such a good food city.

Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles is good and quick and it's right on the side of I10.

Just left Steamboat Bill’s, good recommendation. Was a bit worried at first that I was in tourist trap hell, but the oyster poboy was legit.

Yelled “Muledick” but nobody responded. See you Surly bastards at Erin House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be there or Darell's tomorrow.  Driving in early.  I'm bringing my sons so no happy hours for us.  Our agenda is:

Darells or Steamboat Bills for lunch.

Watch the Horn's whip Georgia's ass around dinner time.

Beignets for breakfast.  

WWII museum.  Cochon or Felix's for lunch. 

Wander the French Quarter.

Aquarium

Commanders Palace for dinner.

Swamp tour in Lafayette on the way home Thursday

I FINALLY got to try the pepper jack boudin balls from Billy’s in Scott, LA.  I’ve always been strictly a Don’s, Best Stop and Sausage Link customer.
These balls from Billy’s are a fucking game changer.

Welcome to the family.

Also - green onion sausage is a winner.

My report:

NOLA:  we went there for my birthday dinner before the VT Sugar Bowl in 1995.   It was a special occasion place then and everything about that night was spectacular.  For nostalgia, we went back for my birthday dinner before this Sugar Bowl.  They overhauled the restaurant in 2017.  It's  much more casual now with pizza and global small plates.  We sat on the third floor, essentially in a storage room.  Food was pretty good (best dish was roasted octupus with "Elotes" style corn).  Service was very good.  Fun people at the adjoining 2 tops made for a enjoyable night.

Cochon:  spectacularly disappointing.  I had never been.  Based on the reviews, awards, etc, my expectations were sky high.  Maybe it was an off night, but just about everything went wrong.  Every dish came out lukewarm / room temp.  Wrong dishes were served.  Wrong wine was served (partially our fault for not paying attention).    Awkwardly long ass gaps between courses.  Signature cochon dish was an inedible salt bomb.   We didn't  complain but, to their credit, they could sense that things were not right.  Same thing was happening at the table next to us (they did complain and sent several things back).  Manager apologized halfway through the meal and they ended up comping us a few items.   Not sure I will return.

Couvant.  Opposite of Cochon.  I had no expectations.  It was a last minute table on New Year's Eve.  We loved it.  Service was great.  French bistro food, done really well.  Terrific oysters with a mignonette that had a nice crunchy bite to it were my favorite.  Skate was buttery and rich.   Good place.

Antoine's.   Still perfect.  My favorite meal.  Our server, Sterling, has been there for 52 years. He had quite a bit to say about the "young ones" that don't listen to him.   The oysters rockefeller and pommes souffle were as great as always.  And the fish dishes look simple, but are just right.  The Ramos gin fizzes to end the meal were perfect.  I can't wait to go back.

Marigny Brasserie.  Good find on Frenchman for lunch.  Sat at the bar and watched the Saints, with good gumbo and po boys.  Not a dive, but casual and good.   

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Cochon:  spectacularly disappointing.  I had never been.  Based on the reviews, awards, etc, my expectations were sky high.  Maybe it was an off night, but just about everything went wrong.  Every dish came out lukewarm / room temp.  Wrong dishes were served.  Wrong wine was served (partially our fault for not paying attention).    Awkwardly long ass gaps between courses.  Signature cochon dish was an inedible salt bomb.   We didn't  complain but, to their credit, they could sense that things were not right.  Same thing was happening at the table next to us (they did complain and sent several things back).  Manager apologized halfway through the meal and they ended up comping us a few items.   Not sure I will return.

You and I had drastically different experiences.  We had the fixed dinner on NYE.  The food, especially the mixed grill, was great, and everything was served pretty quickly with no long waiting time.  We found an outstanding and pretty reasonably priced Burgundy.  Sorry you had such a miserable experience.   

So previous trips I went to Johnny's and Domisile's for poboys. Tried Parkway this time. I can say without hesitation that Parkway has the best of the three. They load the shit out of their sandwiches.

Yep went to Johnny's on the 2nd for lunch. Had a chick tell me parkway is better, went the next day and agree. Neither is bad and you will get full but parkway was better
  • Like 1

Next time y'all are in town hit Terranova Superette for the best muffaletta in the city. Twice the meat as Central Grocery. They only make 10 on Saturday morning and when they sell out it's a seven day wait for the next batch. It's a family of old-school Italian grocers running the joint.