Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

ab7af26dcf2a29c225a6389b0ceaee34.jpg

Had some friends over. In order to accommodate the various preferences of everyone, we ended up making a couple of prime strips with a blue cheese cream reduction, seared scallops, crab cakes with a tomato avocado salad, whipped potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and sautéed mushrooms. We ate at 9:45 as the Horns closed things out and it was awesome

• Like 6

On 11/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, irishtexan said:

ab7af26dcf2a29c225a6389b0ceaee34.jpg

Had some friends over. In order to accommodate the various preferences of everyone, we ended up making a couple of prime strips with a blue cheese cream reduction, seared scallops, crab cakes with a tomato avocado salad, whipped potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and sautéed mushrooms. We ate at 9:45 as the Horns closed things out and it was awesome

this is like the classy version of the "some of everything freezer section" plates over in the vic mackey friends' food thread

On 11/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, LongestHorn said:

Made beef bourguignon this weekend in my pressure cooker for the first time.  Found a recipe for it that stayed pretty close to the Julia Childs recipe but added a wee bit of soy sauce, fish sauce, and tomato paste.  I would have used a pinot noir, the driest of the reds, but I only had a merlot.  3 cups.  Taking the skins off of pearl onions is a pain in the ass, even blanching, but it's worth it.  To cut up the bacon bits, I put half the package (6 oz) in the freezer for an hour.  I took extra care to really dry the steak to get the best sear in the bacon fat.  I also used Better Than Bouillon because it rocks. 2 cups of that broth.  I love this thread and the plate shots, which put mine to shame   The final product looks like slop over mashed potatoes.  But it is fucking heavenly flavors.  I included the pro pic from the recipe website.

Pro tip.  Make it the day before.  And then add the buttered mushrooms before serving.  My teens don't like them because I am a bad father.  Pressure cooker destroys mushrooms, so I added them to my plate, not shown.  

7eab3097-e789-4749-9fb3-475c6228ded4-ori1bc481f3-4a84-4326-8e47-6882757591df-orif47b729d-76f6-4a5c-a6f7-0eb0d9897b49-ori6d52e8f1-11e0-48a3-acd0-266f33bf8eaa-ori4fed2ff8-3565-41eb-acf5-979d96413c1c-oride11758d-ed63-4764-9341-3cc9b732162e-oriBeef-Bourgignon-IMAGE-RECIPE-17.jpg?w=15

https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/

If you don't like the pressure cooker, the recipe has traditional or slow cooker method.

I have made this the long way and, more recently,  tried a recipe for this in the Instant Pot.  My takeaway was that the Instant Pot Version was very good, but it blew up the pearl onions.  Agree that that part is the biggest pain about making the recipe.  If I did it again (the short way), I'd just chop an onion or two and be done with it.  If I made it in the Dutch Oven, I'd peel them damned pearls. 

No way am I posting this on the gumbo thread.  For one thing, I haven't a shred of coonass in me.  Beyond that, it's not a traditional gumbo.  Call it "gumbo inspired".

I had a huge-ass hambone left over from Thanksgiving and a bunch of turkey.  I made a stock out of the hambone (typical ingredients), and more or less followed an Emeril recipe to turn the stock into a turkey & sausage gumbo. 

I rolled my own loose "andouille" by sauteing fresh ground pork with garlic, red pepper, cayenne, paprika, thyme and S&P.  I made a roux with equal parts butter and flour -- I stopped short of a full dark roux out of beginner's fear that I would scorch it.  Lesson learned, it was fine, just not as rich as it might have been.  Added stock, trinity + garlic, cayenne, parsley and scallions.  Tightened it a bit with a corn starch slurry (okra or file would have been more traditional).  Served over white rice.

Other than the lack of a truly dark roux, I don't know how it could have been better.  Holy shit this stuff is good.  I''ll eat a quart between now and Monday morning.  Mmm.

Turkey-Andouille-Gumbo.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ERhine said:

There’s a lot going on in that post. I’ll focus on two issues (out of a number):
1. You added stock before adding trinity?
2. Do you understand what andouille is?

1.  no, I typed that backwards.  I cooked the veggies in the roux to soften them up before adding the stock.

2.  yes.  I didn't smoke it.  I did however cheat by using hickory smoked salt.  

Like I said -- not a coonass, not gumbo. 

3 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Ok. Not as offensive. But still suspect. Probably should have put gumbo inspired in caps. If it was good, no worries.

I'm not sure I could have been more clear that I knew this was not a gumbo, but whatever.  I don't know how it's "suspect".

At any rate, it's tasty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’d argue that I’d eat it. And you’d gotdamn well lose if you argued against me.

It’s not something I really make - got a recipe?

It’s super easy. Just pound out a chicken breast until it’s about 3/4 inch thick. Fry it up like a chicken fried steak - flour, egg, panko and Italian bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mixture. Then ladle a little red sauce over the top and top with provolone slices and shredded mozzarella. Pair with angel hair.

It’s super easy. Just pound out a chicken breast until it’s about 3/4 inch thick. Fry it up like a chicken fried steak - flour, egg, panko and Italian bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mixture. Then ladle a little red sauce over the top and top with provolone slices and shredded mozzarella. Pair with angel hair.

Forgot to mention that you have to bake/broil it after topping with cheese if that wasn’t obvious.

Also, make your own red sauce and don’t buy that store bought shit. I sauté half a diced yellow onion, two large garlic cloves, some fresh basil, Italian seasoning, salt, teaspoon of sugar, 28oz can of crushed Marzanos and a splash of red wine. Simmer that shit for an hour.

Chicken parm looks legit -- I seem to recall it's usually served on the pasta with the sauce over everything, but hell, I don't know.  I always enjoy it when I have it but it's one of those things that I don't often think of.

Saw a guy on the Food Network who made a righteous looking chicken parm sammich.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Saw a guy on the Food Network who made a righteous looking chicken parm sammich.

Same concept, but fried pork.  One of the best sandwiches I've ever had.   Little beer bar in Montreal old port area.

990-BE8-CA-02-E6-46-F9-B542-1908-E85-DA0 

C8-ADB624-A562-43-D8-8-C98-21172203-DFEB

Fucking imgbb.

Edited by Anastasis

Basically homesick texan's recipe with addition of some ground beef to the gravy and sub out cheddar for processed cheese.  I looked to see if anybody had published arrendondo's recipe, but googles yielded nothing.  Would be interested to see some other recipes.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

Basically homesick texan's recipe with addition of some ground beef to the gravy and sub out cheddar for processed cheese.  I looked to see if anybody had published arrendondo's recipe, but googles yielded nothing.  Would be interested to see some other recipes.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

Thanks. This was the result (no onions - wife hates them). Turned out great! Would have made them with bigger tortillas next time since these were a little small.

a9a497fa36d1c1c061e0b679b282ce1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1