The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Stupid Deal of the HOUR today, each hour a new deal at musiciansfriend. They no longer seem to show the past deals, though, so you have to check.

One of the Guitar Center Daily Picks is this Blackstar Fly 3 Acoustic for $40. I didn't even realize the there was an acoustic version. Hard to imagine it would sound that good through 3-inch speakers, but the Fly 3 regular one is pretty dang cool as a desk top or by the chair amp.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar/Fly-3W-Acoustic-3W-1x3-Acoustic-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-Blonde-and-Tan-1500000320915.gc

Looking for some advice. I've had this guitar sitting around and wondering if it's beyond repair or not. 
20230527_125401.thumb.jpg.1c4cd04a12641eab600ad9bb73418494.jpg20230527_125357.thumb.jpg.073c0febd69100383a7467215069d0be.jpg20230527_125351.thumb.jpg.d8f28b0a89ba58c9b758fa6037c0d640.jpg20230527_125344.thumb.jpg.8eb879a35a0b2ff5b61cbdc3da0f1556.jpg
It would certainly cost more to pay someone to repair it than the guitar is worth (maybe $300) but I'm wondering if I should just toss it or it's something that a hobbyist might want to try and fix. 
The fretboard and body are intact so I'd hate to just throw it in a dumpster but cest la vie I guess. 
I really liked it before the, um, headstock snapped off. 
Try this!

FB_IMG_1685401885179.jpgFB_IMG_1685401893457.jpg
  • Like 1

Stupid deal of the hour at 7pm central until 8, Martin Special 000 for $699.
Slightly tempted but I'm storing up for some photo purchases. But if the made it in a cutaway it would be more like 50/50. Somebody buy it for me.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

I wish I had caught this. If I had a version of my 000-28 I could take camping, beach, etc.... I dodnt even know these were a thing.

If someone is looking for a beginner or beater/campfire guitar (and you can get past the tuners), these D'Angelico's are a very good buy at $400 and a STEAL at $200.   They play really nice...the neck is really great for smaller hands but isn't too small and the preamp in these things sounds fantastic.  A friend of mine tried a stint in Nashville as a songwriter, then got his law degree and is now a pastor of a Baptist church but his true love is still music.  He has shelved all of his high dollar acoustics in his church band for one of these.  Every time I talk to him, he sings the praised of this thing. 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

D’Angelico Premier Lexington CS.   

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

Since people seemed to like my last post about theory, I'm gonna share this.  I'm getting ready for some solo live performances this summer, so I am putting some backing tracks together that I (or you, @G650) can play/improvise over. These have a fair amount of intention in them that illustrates some music theory on the guitar.  I am making them where I can pull from 4-5 scales at different points in the song to be interesting listening to a solo perfomance while also being able to fallback to a pentatonic scale that works over everything in case I get into trouble playing the changes.  First the backing track, then the theory.  This one is a jazzy/bluesy piece centered around Em and at 90bpm. 

Now the theory:  You can play Em pentatonic or the blues scale over everything, thats your life raft.  Otherwise, the bulk of the song shifts between E aeolian (natural minor) and E dorian, with the only difference between the two being the flat 6th and 6th (see scale charts below).  Neither of those notes are in Em pentatonic, so thats why it works over both parts, and if playing modes, you just have to change one note of the 7 you are playing all over the fretboard to "play the changes" in a jazz fashion.  When you hear just the piano, dorian works.  When the pad comes in, aeolian works.

Dorian

image.thumb.png.10cc2e6b3b2ca2e9fdae01779e6bcf30.png

Aeolian

image.thumb.png.638ba6fe7fb5e4707d87b983855e58b4.png

I throw in an E major curve ball in the last few chord progressions and you can play E mixolydian over that chord.  This is similar to E dorian, but we shift the minor 3rd up to a major 3rd.  Otherwise, it's the same scale.  Again, just change one note out of your 7 to play jazzy changes.  The minor 3rd even works here because blues has trained our ears to accept that over a major chord.

image.thumb.png.7d07ed13ad203d71e3ccfb8b9acd0d7e.png

This interesting/informative to others?  If so, I have another track along these lines I can do a similar post for.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I’ve talked about Spark Amps here before. I have the regular spark, the mini and now I just picked up the go.

I think it’s great. Perfect for travel (or taking to my office daily).

It’s also of course a Bluetooth speaker and works with the app, giving thousands of tones.

dd2d63345150ebe1b01e74cbbac3b913.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

Anyone have experience with Rainsong or other acoustics that are weather proof/resistant?   Looking to take a guitar on some songwriting hikes around here and want something that isn’t going to be damaged by rain.

IMG_1297.jpeg

Edited by Goredho

Anyone have experience with Rainsong or other acoustics that are weather proof/resistant?   Looking to take a guitar on some songwriting hikes around here and want something that isn’t going to be damaged by rain.
IMG_1297.jpeg.3133f4163b5091805a5f2b4bb74ae934.jpeg

Depends on what you want to do with them I think. I know some guys that play rainsongs for solo gigs. They like them because then neck never needs adjusting. I don’t think they sound all that great plugged in. My tech says they aren’t made very well. For a campfire guitar they are probably great.

For a really good carbon guitar I’m told McPherson is the way to go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

Adorama through slickdeals:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16693988-fender-limited-edition-70th-anniversary-esquire-electric-guitar-1499-free-s-h

Fender Limited Edition 70th Anniversary Esquire Electric Guitar, Maple Fingerboard, Lake Placid Blue

SKU: FE0170532802 MFR: 0170532802

$1,499.00You Save:$500.99 (25%)

fe0170532802_3.jpg

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

Adorama through slickdeals:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16693988-fender-limited-edition-70th-anniversary-esquire-electric-guitar-1499-free-s-h

Fender Limited Edition 70th Anniversary Esquire Electric Guitar, Maple Fingerboard, Lake Placid Blue

SKU: FE0170532802 MFR: 0170532802

$1,499.00You Save:$500.99 (25%)

fe0170532802_3.jpg

Now, I don’t know shit.  But, why would one pay this price for the esq. when there are armies of Telecasters out there at that price or better?  

12 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Now, I don’t know shit.  But, why would one pay this price for the esq. when there are armies of Telecasters out there at that price or better?  

I personally wouldn't do it, but I figured there were a few out there that would perk up.

I saw one poster in the slickdeals thread he saw a video where somebody too the pickguard off one and it was routed for a neck pickup, so basically like a stock modern Tele. I don't think that's necessarily bad, but it takes away a bit from the mythos. I haven't read the specs, but it may have a more authentic repro neck shape and pickup, stuff like that, to reproduce the sound and feel. But yeah, I would just go for a regular Tele.

For some folks it might just scratch the itch.

I dont own one, but those who love them swear they are more responsive because you dobt have the magnetic pull of the neck pickup on the strings.

Paging @Deej

There's discussion about the lack of magnetic pull from the neck pickup, but I really think a lot of it is that they are so straightforward that they force you to just fucking play, and play all out. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Goredho said:

IMG_1297.jpeg

I had one for a while. I am definitely not a tech, but I found the build quality to be fantastic. They are super light weight and the neck was rock solid. It basically never went out of tune and I never had to touch the truss rod (it was set up and shipped to me from California). It would handle the lack of humidity that you have up there easily.

It was also really bright and clear. Lots of sustain.  If your budget is up for a $2k hiking guitar, you should not be disappointed. Just know that it will not be super warm. Also, I think they all have electronics if you are concerned about those getting wet. I ended up selling it to a guy that wanted to keep it on his boat in Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

The least expensive American made Tele starts at around $1400. A couple cosmetic features on this particular model drive the price up: the nitrocellulose finish and the white binding on the front and back edges of the body. And Lake Placid Blue is a somewhat limited color  

An American Tele in nitro is a steal at $1500. 

The least expensive American made Tele starts at around $1400. A couple cosmetic features on this particular model drive the price up: the nitrocellulose finish and the white binding on the front and back edges of the body. And Lake Placid Blue is a somewhat limited color  
Is that an American Fender? I read the description and didn't see it anywhere, they usually plaster USA everywhere if it is.

9 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
18 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Is that an American Fender? I read the description and didn't see it anywhere, they usually plaster USA everywhere if it is.

Yup, it’s an American Fender.

The Adorama page doesn’t mention it, but other sites that sell this guitar (like Musician’s Friend) say the country of origin is USA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topochico said:

I had one for a while. I am definitely not a tech, but I found the build quality to be fantastic. They are super light weight and the neck was rock solid. It basically never went out of tune and I never had to touch the truss rod (it was set up and shipped to me from California). It would handle the lack of humidity that you have up there easily.

It was also really bright and clear. Lots of sustain.  If your budget is up for a $2k hiking guitar, you should not be disappointed. Just know that it will not be super warm. Also, I think they all have electronics if you are concerned about those getting wet. I ended up selling it to a guy that wanted to keep it on his boat in Florida. 

Thanks, good point on the electronics.  Will see what I can find without them. 

I'm inching my way to spec'ing out my parts Tele with one pickup ("bridge"), no tone or volume, just an output jack.  I'm pretty sure Warmoth is gonna have a stroke.  YOU CAN'T DO THAT.  The hell I can't.

Apparently my wife is insistent I pay for 6 hrs (summer) and 30 hrs (fall) tuition first.  I really don't get it.  Kids' education or a guitar?  Easy choice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1