Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ringo's teammate that plays CB just got Fong'd to OU and an OU modĀ put in a pick for a CB from KC, Missouri.Ā Ā 

Rogers may be a possibility.

Not sure how many they will take, but seems like Watts ends up at OU as well.

Looks like Major Burns was Fong'd to blOU as well.

IT

With the Spring game just over a week away, we'll take a closer look at the early confirmed visitors. With so many major programs holding this event on the same day, the prospects you see arrive in Austin next Saturday could be a valuable data point in the class of 2020 and beyond. Or it might not be, but that'll be for us to discover.

Of note: this list is premature. It will grow by next Saturday and we'll update accordingly. The 2021 class is a group to watch.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS): This is a no-brainer. Mr. Card will be on deck helping persuade the prospects into (don't stop) believing Texas is the move.

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite - UOV: The lighting-in-a-bottle running back can do a little of everything at 5-foot-8, 180. Texas is in it, but we're unsure how hard they're pushing at this point.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves (TEXAS): One of the three hogmollies verbally pledged to the Horns in 2020, Garth will be on hand to cheer on his former quarterback as well as recruit. He might also catch Ludacris. We cannot confirm that.

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge - UOV: The stateā€™s top defensive lineman has liked Texas from the jump, but allā€™s fair in love and war, and in recruiting, that means A&M, OU, and LSU are on the prowl. There might be speed bumps, but we still like Broughton to UT.

OL Chad Lindberg, LC Clear Creek - UOV: Heā€™s coming back to Texas. He'll Roll Out to the 40 Acres for spring game weekend, big Luda style. Texas is in good shape. He's a big part of consensus building and he's bought in to a degree.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington High - UOV: Once an OU lean, the Sooners might have other prospects higher on their board, namely Ryan Watts. The plus+ level athlete is a catch and one of the options UT is considering. They like him and he's a take. Good eval.

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe (AZ) - UOV: This is huge for myriad reasons. A Five-star tailback will see Texas for the first time, he fits the scheme (6-foot, 205) and will probably play early wherever he inks. If UT gets him back for an official visit, this gets really real. Hearing of a big Texas bounce would not surprise.

DB Jahquez Robinson, Sandalwood (FL) (ALABAMA)- UOV: Another elite corner with uncommon length and athleticism. Comically a three-star, he's committed to Alabama but more so as a place holder. Yes, you read that right. His family is pushing Florida and LSU, you know, pseudo-DBUs. He also likes Georgia. Donā€™t let the rating fool you, the market is all-knowing.

RB Tahj Brooks, Manor - UOV: Most underrated running back in state for 2020, Brooks will be a productive back at the D1 level. Texas keeping him warm might pay off in December. He's a big UT fan. Get the OL and ancillaries right and this dude will be a Zamboni.

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (2021) - UOV: You must recruit him as a nerd and jock. I say that endearingly. Conner is a well-rounded young man.

We'll add more names and commentary. OU is making this their big weekend. Herman and staff are keeping their powder dry but also not conceding the day. It's a fun dynamic, but it's not a sprint.

TFB Open Post:Ā https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-5th-7th/

Jahquez Robinson Visiting Texas
ā€“ Super K

A few weeks ago I went out to Jacksonville (FL) to see 2020 Alabama CB commit, Jahquez Robinson.

At the time, Robinson was planning on taking an official visit to Oklahoma for their Spring Game, which, as you know, coincides with the Texas Spring Game.

Recently, he let me know that he will no longer be attending the OU Spring game and is instead attending the Texas Spring game.

Robinson actually told me via text that Texas is actually in his top three.

This is one to keep an eye on because based in my in-person conversation with him, I came away with the belief that a school could overtake Bama in this recruitment.

Vernon Broughton Visiting Texas
ā€“ Super K

Top defensive lineman, Vernon Broughton has a few visits coming up. His mother tells me that they will be at both the Texas A&M and Texas Spring Games.

Both Spring Games are the same day but according to his mother, Broughton plans to attend both.

She also tells me that he may take a return visit to LSU this weekend.

As weā€™ve previously noted, Vernonā€™s mother used to coach basketball at LSU.

Right now, in my estimation, LSU, Texas A&M and Alabama pose the most significant threats to Texas.

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There's a million things to rag on Oscar Giles about, but Charles Omenihue's development is not one of the things.

My point was he didnā€™t develop shit. Omenihue was a solid player. He was a high three star. DidĀ Giles comeĀ in and makeĀ any of our DEs noticeably better players? No, he did not. They played about the same as before he was here. Texas hasnā€™t had a pass rush from a DE in years. Probably because we havenā€™t recruited a 5 star DE in years. Weird, how that correlates. Giles being a super good position coach is just a false narrative created by Texas fans to rationalize liking Giles because of the burnt orange jacket he wears.Ā 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There's a million things to rag on Oscar Giles about, but Charles Omenihue's development is not one of the things.

I don't really want to rain on the "Giles is a developer of talent" charade, because I'm guessing I can predict the majority of the responses from the "you just don't like corch gilez!" to the "the proof is in the results - Poona and CO" finishing with the string of "not this shit again" stuff and so on from the following, but Omenihu himself gives a ton of credit to his development to his trainer in Houston. FWIW.

Regardless of all of that, the recruitment of Collins, or lack thereof, almost looks like deliberate sabotage. I know that would require more thought and energy than Giles can muster, so I know that cannot be actually true. I will hold the belief until Collins signs elsewhere on signing day that his mother and aunt are going to let him go look around and see the CFB world, if need be, and then they're going to have him sign with Texas.Ā 

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My point was he didnā€™t develop shit. Omenihue was a solid player. He was a high three star. DidĀ Giles comeĀ in and makeĀ any of our DEs noticeably better players? No, he did not. They played about the same as before he was here. Texas hasnā€™t had a pass rush from a DE in years. Probably because we havenā€™t recruited a 5 star DE in years. Weird, how that correlates. Giles being a super good position coach is just a false narrative created by Texas fans to rationalize liking Giles because of the burnt orange jacket he wears.Ā 

I think that Omenihue really emerged last year. He "developed". Now, how much of that you choose to attribute to Charles himself, his trainer in Houston, or Giles is certainly up for debate. I was only saying that Ominue is a good player, who took a significant step forward last year.Ā But otherwise I 100% agree. Our lack of a pass rush is one of the things that's holding us back from winning conference championships and competing for national championships. And it's absolutely because we haven't been able to regularly land elite DL prospects.Ā 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

I think that Omenihue really emerged last year. He "developed". Now, how much of that you choose to attribute to Charles himself, his trainer in Houston, or Giles is certainly up for debate. I was only saying that Ominue is a good player, who took a significant step forward last year.Ā But otherwise I 100% agree. Our lack of a pass rush is one of the things that's holding us back from winning conference championships and competing for national championships. And it's absolutely because we haven't been able to regularly land elite DL prospects.Ā  ļ»æ

OMENIHU. Not Omenihue. Not Ominue. Dude's played in 51 games for Christ's sake.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Our lack of a pass rush is one of the things that's holding us back from winning conference championships and competing for national championships. And it's absolutely because we haven't been able to regularly land elite DL prospects.Ā 

Unfortunately we've been whiffing on elite pass rushers since before Giles returned, going back to when Rumph was here. We were forced to play a complete non-entity in Naashon Hughes at rush end under Strong because of it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Unfortunately we've been whiffing on elite pass rushers since before Giles returned, going back to when Rumph was here. We were forced to play a complete non-entity in Naashon Hughes at rush end under Strong because of it.

Thank god for Rumlin, who let Ossai fall into our lap.

Vaughns looks like a find.

They better land Dorbah, and Tim Beck better be a prominent part of that recruitment.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thank god for Rumlin, who let Ossai fall into our lap.

Vaughns looks like a find.

They better land Dorbah, and Tim Beck better be a prominent part of that recruitment.

Yup.Ā  Ossai was all but committed to aggy until Rumlin got fired.Ā  Herman used the uncertainty of Price remaining at aggy to our advantage.Ā  We lucked out on that one.Ā Ā 

Itā€™s a good guess. Itā€™s wrong, but a good guess. I went to a Clear Brook prom and the aftermath once. It was awesome.Ā 

You went to Sam Rayburn and played football for the 1990-92 seasons. So youā€™re a Pasadena kid. It makes sense why youā€™re jealous of CCISD kids, especially Lake and Creek. Zoningā€™s a bitch, ainā€™t it?

I have to say, though, Iā€™m a bit disappointed you described a Brook prom as ā€œawesomeā€. The only thing remotely close to awe-inspiring about Brook is the level of mass stupidity and ignorance that fills its hallways on a daily basis.

I suppose I shouldnā€™t be all that surprised though, considering Rayburn isnā€™t even the best high school in Pasadena. Going to prom at Brook must have been amazing. Like a Blinn student sneaking into fish camp at Collie Station and getting to peek at the jizz jar.
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

You went to Sam Rayburn and played football for the 1990-92 seasons. So youā€™re a Pasadena kid. It makes sense why youā€™re jealous of CCISD kids, especially Lake and Creek. Zoningā€™s a bitch, ainā€™t it?

I have to say, though, Iā€™m a bit disappointed you described a Brook prom as ā€œawesomeā€. The only thing remotely close to awe-inspiring about Brook is the level of mass stupidity and ignorance that fills its hallways on a daily basis.

I suppose I shouldnā€™t be all that surprised though, considering Rayburn isnā€™t even the best high school in Pasadena. Going to prom at Brook must have been amazing. Like a Blinn student sneaking into fish camp at Collie Station and getting to peek at the jizz jar.

Thatā€™s an angry response to a post made in jest. Iā€™m not as old as you presume either way, and Iā€™ve never hidden the Pasadena stuff. The CB prom itself might not have been awesome, but the time I had was. Either you understand that inherently or you should get out more.Ā As to the rest, youā€™re letting your childhood allegiances mark you too hard.Ā 

Thatā€™s an angry response to a post made in jest. Iā€™m not as old as you presume either way, and Iā€™ve never hidden the Pasadena stuff. The CB prom itself might not have been awesome, but the time I had was. Either you understand that inherently or you should get out more.Ā As to the rest, youā€™re letting your childhood allegiances mark you too hard.Ā 

I guess Iā€™m a shitty writer. Iā€™ll stick to Biochemistry. I tried to get creative with poking fun at Brook and Pasadena and I suppose you extracted more vitriol than humor. I moved to Texas for the first time in my life the same month I started my freshman year at Lake, so the rivalry doesnā€™t mean everything to me or ā€œmark me too hardā€. Like I said here earlier, I dropped out of Lake after 2 years to go to TAMS so Iā€™m not even an alum. I do try to get into Lake vs Brook when I can though for fun. The fight at a Whataburger following this past yearā€™s edition was insane.

Your prom is your prom man. If you had fun at Brook prom, thatā€™s all that truly matters. Sorry if comparing you having fun at Brook prom to a Blinn student gazing at the aggy jizz jar at fish camp in awe sounded more angry than a joke. Guess Iā€™ll have to be more nice next time. Otherwise Iā€™ll have to take a vacation, which would mean I would have to eat my Cheerios all by myself.

Oh, and you were right. ā€˜91-ā€˜93. I forgot the 69-14 game. nice
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

thestation4life

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

Ā 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ā 

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

I guess Iā€™m a shitty writer. Iā€™ll stick to Biochemistry. I tried to get creative with poking fun at Brook and Pasadena and I suppose you extracted more vitriol than humor. I moved to Texas for the first time in my life the same month I started my freshman year at Lake, so the rivalry doesnā€™t mean everything to me or ā€œmark me too hardā€. Like I said here earlier, I dropped out of Lake after 2 years to go to TAMS so Iā€™m not even an alum. I do try to get into Lake vs Brook when I can though for fun. The fight at a Whataburger following this past yearā€™s edition was insane.

Your prom is your prom man. If you had fun at Brook prom, thatā€™s all that truly matters. Sorry if comparing you having fun at Brook prom to a Blinn student gazing at the aggy jizz jar at fish camp in awe sounded more angry than a joke. Guess Iā€™ll have to be more nice next time. Otherwise Iā€™ll have to take a vacation, which would mean I would have to eat my Cheerios all by myself.

Oh, and you were right. ā€˜91-ā€˜93. I forgot the 69-14 game. nice

I think itā€™s pretty obvious what happened here. These two hooked upĀ at prom,Ā and theyā€™re both mad the other one never called back.