Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The NCAA has been done.  They are a joke.  The only thing people learned in regards to Cam Newton is how to better cover their tracks and that in the end, the methods they were using were fine.  

The NCAA is just a reflection of its membership. It isn't an independent organization. I don't know why the majority of schools that don't want to aggressively cheat, don't accept the costs that come with that and stand up for their own rules. I guess they get paid too no matter how much some schools cheat and no one wants to upset the apple cart. But in the end the cheating will lead to changes that the member schools don't want, like players getting paid. All it will take is a few players who got paid big bucks by their SEC handlers to set the market and the courts aren't likely going to side with the bungling NCAA turning a blind eye to the fact that the market already exists.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, NorLa Horns said:

While making Mike Roach full time seems like a no brainer, and he did kind of address this in the last podcast they did. I dont know if he'd step away from the full time gig hes got. it sounds like a solid money situation and I dont think 247 has the bank to move the needle.

Well. Happily, this didnt age well. 

Mike at Night: Easter eggs before spring evaluation starts

—Each year it seems like a different program is able to make significant in-roads to Texas. The Longhorns not only have to battle regional opponents like LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, but they also have to contend with national powers like Alabama and Ohio State. Georgia appears to be targeting the state early on in this cycle, and they’ve found success with a few in-state prospects thus far. In the last week, the Dawgs landed commitments from Jalen Kimber and Akinola Ogunbiyi. They also hosted Kelee Ringo over the weekend, and they aren’t likely to go away soon.

—Kimber was a loss for Texas. Jason Washington prioritized Kimber and recruited him very hard since the time they offered. Kimber wanted to take his time with the process, but his father told me that Jalen was so taken with his visit to Georgia that he decided to commit. Kimber is now going to work recruiting for Georgia, and he carries a lot of respect with other recruits in his class. Ogunbiyi wasn’t really a target for Texas. I was told that Ogunbiyi explored making a flip to Texas during the spring, but the Longhorns wanted him to hold off as they were confident with some other targets on their board.

—Georgia is going to continue to present a challenge to the Texas staff. They sit high on the list for Zachary Evans, Dameion George, Chad Lindberg, and Kelee Ringo, and they are likely to stick around for the long haul in those recruitments. Despite a Sugar Bowl victory over the Bulldogs last year, Texas must still contend with a Georgia program full of strong recruiters two years removed from a National Championship appearance. These are high leverage recruitments, and they are always going to attract the best competition. The Texas staff dealt with this last year when recruiting prospects like Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, but they also won out on some high-stakes recruitments with Jake Smith, De’Gabriel Floyd, and Bru McCoy.

—Georgia is also making the state a priority in 2021. Offensive linemen like Donovan Jackson, Bryce Foster, Reuben Fatheree, and others have talked up interest in Georgia. The Bulldogs will play in College Station in 2020, and they’ll look to make the most of their opportunity to showcase their program in front of the state’s top prospects.

—We will go into more detail about where things stand with some targets in the stampede, but Texas is facing some negative recruiting on the defensive back front. Oklahoma is surging in DB recruiting. That’s mostly due to the fact that prospects know they have the chance to be part of a defensive re-build in Norman, and less about any negative pitches, but other programs have tried their best to play up on some negatives in the Texas program. They are also seeing it on the defensive line where Texas plays a 4i. It’s not a sexy position to high school linemen and, schools have specifically pitched that defensive linemen in an attempt to win them over.

—This staff proved adept at adapting to changing dynamics and still closing with a strong class over the last two years. They are aware of what’s being used against them in this cycle, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they had some tricks up their sleeve in the coming months. Things may seem slow now, but I haven’t detected real panic from the staff when it comes to recruiting.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: Easter eggs before spring evaluation starts

Hide contents

—Each year it seems like a different program is able to make significant in-roads to Texas. The Longhorns not only have to battle regional opponents like LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, but they also have to contend with national powers like Alabama and Ohio State. Georgia appears to be targeting the state early on in this cycle, and they’ve found success with a few in-state prospects thus far. In the last week, the Dawgs landed commitments from Jalen Kimber and Akinola Ogunbiyi. They also hosted Kelee Ringo over the weekend, and they aren’t likely to go away soon.

—Kimber was a loss for Texas. Jason Washington prioritized Kimber and recruited him very hard since the time they offered. Kimber wanted to take his time with the process, but his father told me that Jalen was so taken with his visit to Georgia that he decided to commit. Kimber is now going to work recruiting for Georgia, and he carries a lot of respect with other recruits in his class. Ogunbiyi wasn’t really a target for Texas. I was told that Ogunbiyi explored making a flip to Texas during the spring, but the Longhorns wanted him to hold off as they were confident with some other targets on their board.

—Georgia is going to continue to present a challenge to the Texas staff. They sit high on the list for Zachary Evans, Dameion George, Chad Lindberg, and Kelee Ringo, and they are likely to stick around for the long haul in those recruitments. Despite a Sugar Bowl victory over the Bulldogs last year, Texas must still contend with a Georgia program full of strong recruiters two years removed from a National Championship appearance. These are high leverage recruitments, and they are always going to attract the best competition. The Texas staff dealt with this last year when recruiting prospects like Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, but they also won out on some high-stakes recruitments with Jake Smith, De’Gabriel Floyd, and Bru McCoy.

—Georgia is also making the state a priority in 2021. Offensive linemen like Donovan Jackson, Bryce Foster, Reuben Fatheree, and others have talked up interest in Georgia. The Bulldogs will play in College Station in 2020, and they’ll look to make the most of their opportunity to showcase their program in front of the state’s top prospects.

—We will go into more detail about where things stand with some targets in the stampede, but Texas is facing some negative recruiting on the defensive back front. Oklahoma is surging in DB recruiting. That’s mostly due to the fact that prospects know they have the chance to be part of a defensive re-build in Norman, and less about any negative pitches, but other programs have tried their best to play up on some negatives in the Texas program. They are also seeing it on the defensive line where Texas plays a 4i. It’s not a sexy position to high school linemen and, schools have specifically pitched that defensive linemen in an attempt to win them over.

—This staff proved adept at adapting to changing dynamics and still closing with a strong class over the last two years. They are aware of what’s being used against them in this cycle, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they had some tricks up their sleeve in the coming months. Things may seem slow now, but I haven’t detected real panic from the staff when it comes to recruiting.

So 9.95er's..... what are the negative recruiting things being said about Texas by jawja and others besides Horns using the 4i??

I'm sure no playing time for a freshman DB is part of the negative crap...... Kind of funny we just beat their asses and yet kids still listen to jawja's shtick.

IT

LATHAN RANSOM

At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, the four-star from Salpointe Catholic (AZ) is one of the top safeties in the nation for a reason. He's highly instinctual with the athleticism to track and smack. He's also got a frame that can hold more muscle without losing quickness. With almost 30 offers in hand (Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU to name a few), Ransom has been on the road recently checking out potential programs.

He hit OU for its spring game and is hitting Baton Rouge this weekend for an official visit. He then will head to Ohio State the weekend of June 21st. In between, the Longhorns will get a trip in May.

“I have a great relationship with Coach Naivar, every time we talk, we have great conversations. I’ll see Austin next month. I'll OV to LSU this weekend, then I’ll be trimming my list in July.”

Texas, LSU, and Ohio State stand out to Ransom right now, but he doesn't seem in a hurry to make a decision, which helps UT.

Ransom loves that Texas has invaded Arizona for signees like Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock, and targets like Bijan Robinson and Jonah Miller.

“I like it a lot,” Ransom said. “The 2020 class is Arizona is one of the best in the nation, and has given Arizona more exposure.”

ROAD TRIPPIN...

After Texas coaches Herb Hand and Stan Drayton got a head start last week, the entire staff is on the road today.

- Drayton's priorities are Zach Evans, Jase McClellan, Ty Jordan, and Camar Wheaton, and all will be seen soon.

- Orlando wants to see Prince Dorbah and Brennon Scott in DFW. He'll also hit East Texas this week to see Pleasant Grove's 2021 DL duo Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris, along with Texas High's 2021 LB Clayton Smith. At some point, he'll hit the west coast to catch Sav'ell Smalls and Justin Flowe, two of the top linebackers in the nation. Smalls (6-foot-3, 227 pounds from Kennedy Catholic in Burien, WA) and Flowe (6-foot-2, 225 pounds from Upland, CA) are both five-stars with virtually every school chasing their signature.

- Naivar's priorities are Bryson Washington and Xavion Alford this week, then hop on a plane to Arizona to check out Lathan Ransom (read above). Duncanville's Chris Thompson will also get a visit soon. On Washington, he's taking his OV to Austin on June 21-22, with an announcement planned for July 4th. Watch OU here because they're the biggest threat.

- Warehime will make his ETX rounds to watch Kitan Crawford, Lyrik Rawls, Jamarion Miller, and Kelvontay Dixon, Keaontay Ingram's little brother. He also wants to pop into Dallas to see Jaden Hullaby, then Temple for Quentin Johnston. John Tyler's Crawford is getting close to a decision, so the Texas TE/special teams coach will see him on Tuesday.

- Mehringer wants to catch Troy Omiere in Houston, but also wants to catch Cali's Johnny Wilson, who recently visited Oregon and is high on them. Like most of the out-of-state targets, getting them to Austin for an UOV by late July is the key.

- Beck will make an Arizona sweep, starting at Saguaro, where he once was a coach and currently employs former Texas DB Bryant Westbrook, to see Kelee Ringo, then over to Salpointe for Tosh Baker and Bijan Robinson. He'll also put eyes on Duncanville's Ja'Quinden Jackson.

- Washington is starting in Florida with a visit to Jacksonville to lay eyes on Jahquez Robinson, the 6-foot-2, 175-pound corner with 4.45 speed (Opening). Robinson has mentioned visiting UT this summer, but there's some work here for the Alabama commit with 29 offers. His three-star ranking is a joke. Washington will stay OOS until next week, when he'll check out Dallas, ETX, and Houston to put eyes on Jahari Rogers, Kitan Crawford, and others.

- Hand already watched Nate Anderson, the rising OL prospect from Frisco Reedy (Eric with more down the page), but he'll also check in on Prosper's Jake Majors and the Fort Worth All Saints OL duo of Tommy and James Brockermeyer, then a Houston swing for North Shore's Dameion George, the golden triangle for PNG offensive tackle/Texas pledge Jaylen Garth, back through San Antonio for Logan Parr.

- Alfred Collins, Princely Umanmielen, and Vernon Broughton are all on the docket for UT's Oscar Giles. He'll likely hit St. Louis and Louisiana for the OOS DL contingencies like Joe Moore (Cardinal Ritter College Prep, MO), Jacobian Guillory (Alexandria, LA), and Jaquelin Roy, University Lab, in Baton Rouge, LA.

ALFRED COLLINS

One of the recruitments where Texas benefitted from the shuffling of spring game schedules was 2020 Bastrop Cedar Creek DL Alfred Collins.

Collins, the son of a former UT women’s basketball player, was able to return to Texas’ campus to see the Orange-White game on April 13.

“It was good,” Collins said of the visit. “Atmosphere was extremely hyped. I liked it.”

Texas may be the school Collins is most familiar with. In a February interview, Collins said he grew up “always being at UT.”

The Orange-White game didn’t change a whole lot for Collins. He said there wasn’t a lot of new things for the staff to show him, but he once again mentioned the crowd Texas was able to pull to the game.

“There were a lot of people there,” Collins said. “A lot of people.”

However, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are in this recruitment. When asked what schools he mentioned being factors all the way to his decision, Collins mentioned those two regional schools along with UT.

Collins said he recently made a trip to Oklahoma, and didn’t have concrete return plans yet for either of the Texas schools nor any out-of-state colleges.

When asked what the next step in his recruitment would be or when he would like to decide on a school, Collins said he believed his decision would come during the fall.

NATE ANDERSON

The Frisco Reedy offensive lineman is someone I've been keeping in contact with since January. Even though the staff's targets are identified I figured Anderson might join the fray and in the last week he has. Herb Hand stopped by to see a practice and exchange contact information and this weekend Coach Hand sent him a text letting Anderson know he wants him to visit. A visit will be made after Anderson and his family figure out what day works best.

Anderson called me on Saturday while on a break from every teen's dream job -- working party boats on Lewisville Lake. He has an interesting story as a former lacrosse player who just spent his first year on the offensive line. That makes for an intriguing prospect.

We've finally solved #3.

1. Play lacrosse
2. Play football
3. Hit a growth spurt
4. $$$ in the form of a scholarship

"Last year was my first year playing offensive line. We had a tackle get hurt and my coaches brought me in the office and told me, 'you're not going to like this but we need you at tackle,''' said Anderson. Amazingly it's very difficult to tell that was his first year playing. That's testament to coordination and coachability.

Being his first year playing the position he's being recruited for, his process is just now starting to take off.

I asked him if he had a dream school growing up. He replied, "I grew up liking A&M, my grandpa is in the Corp of Cadet Hall of Fame but with recruiting I'm wide open." He would reiterate that point later on.

My read is this recruitment will boil down to who recruits him the hardest between Texas, OU, and A&M, though he will take a summer visit to USC.

I asked him about each regional school:

"I visited A&M about 3-4 weeks ago. I knew Coach Henson when he was OSU but I went and saw him and Coach Fisher. Coach Henson says he wants to offer me but the offer has to go through Fisher."

A&M needs pure tackles and at 6-4.5 and 270 pounds Anderson has good enough length. Where he excels is in foot quickness.

"Coach Hand came by my practice and talked to my coaches and me for a few minutes. He says he wants to get me up there for a visit. He actually just texted me a little earlier today."

If Texas landed Anderson it would have two sure-fire tackles and then another possible one in Chad Lindberg.

"Coach Bedenbaugh (OU o-line coach) sends me graphics of all the rings and players he's put in the NFL. They haven't offered yet."

None of those three schools have offered yet but he's certainly the caliber of prospect you would see on the roster.

It will be interesting to see who offers first. Though Anderson is just now getting the recognition his tape deserves, he doesn't want the process to play out too long.

"My coaches told me I'll have a busy spring and to not rush anything." Anderson wants to take officials this summer and then make a decision before the end of the season. Right about now you're probably thinking that isn't the ideal timeline for Texas and you might be right.

One positive selling point for Texas is Anderson wants to study business.

UPCOMING VISITS

It hasn't been the busiest spring when it comes to commits for this sometimes embarrassingly impatient fan base. That just allows for more excitement from this point forward.

The next big visit weekend will be the weekend of May 3rd as Chad Lindberg, Chris Thompson, and Vernon Broughton use officials. The list for that weekend could be as high as 10, though some current commits may be part of that number as they come in to help recruit. Texas is in good shape with each of three named.

Bryson Washington is still scheduled to take his official visit the weekend of June 21st. Texas will host cornerback Kitan Crawford that weekend as well.

Texas and OU took radically different approaches in the Washington recruitment. Texas wants Washington to visit as close to his July 4th announcement as possible. OU tried to sneak him from under the staff's nose. Right now is the tense period where we wait to see whose gamble pays off. The longer this goes with Washington not committing to OU, the closer we likely get to him committing to Texas. My prediction is Texas wins a very close one.

As we've been saying recently, we like Crawford and Jahari Rogers for the corner class. Justin posted in the Prospect Board that Texas will be by to see Florida corner Jahquez Robinson today. Robinson would be more of a long-play take. Currently committed to Alabama, he has family pushing him towards LSU and Florida, so at least they like DBUs. I hear Robinson likes, wait for it, yep you guessed it, Georgia. He'll be a tough pull but he is pretty emphatic he'll use an official visit to see UT. Absent an unofficial as well I don't give UT much of a shot.

The Stampede: Texas staff set to hit the recruiting trail

The spring evaluation period started last week, but the Texas staff is getting out on the road in full force starting Monday. We will have updates throughout the week, but the coaches plan to see all of their major targets as quickly as possible. Since the NCAA limits the number of coaching visits during the evaluation period, the staff will have to be economical with their trips to stay in compliance while at the same time seeing as many prospects as they can. Some schools began spring football last week, but the majority will begin on Monday. A few of the Longhorns’ out of state targets will not begin spring workouts until next week.

I’m told that Texas will see its major running back targets immediately, as that position is a major emphasis in this class. The staff will see Zachary Evans, Bijan Robinson and Jase McClellan right off the bat. For Evans and Robinson, the coaches will continue to hammer away at their pitch to be feature backs in Austin. For McClellan, it may be more about gauging their chances heading into the summer.

The Texas staff will also see priority targets at Duncanville this week. The Panthers have a pair of elite prospects in both the 2020 and 2021 classes, including Ja'Quinden Jackson and Chris Thompson, who are important targets for Texas’ momentum. Thompson is slated to officially visit Texas on May 4th, and if the Longhorns can get him to shut things down, they will have a much better chance at landing Jackson. 2021 will also be in focus for Duncanville prospects Savion Byrd and Kendrick Blackshire. The Longhorns offered Byrd early, and they have made up some ground with Blackshire. With the staff ties at the Dallas-area powerhouse, Texas should be able to make some hay.

I’m also told that Vernon Broughton is a prospect that Texas wants to see immediately. The Longhorns did a great job with the entire family when they hosted him for the spring game, and they want to continue to push that momentum into the spring. Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo will also be a massive priority, but he doesn’t get started until next week. Expect the Texas staff to move nationally as they try to maintain their presence in emerging pipelines like Georgia, Florida, California, Arizona and St. Louis.

(Roach)

With the spring game behind us, Texas is turning its attention to the recruiting trail this week and is sure to head out West to visit some of its top targets. Here is some buzz I’ve gathered on recruits on that side of the country over the weekend.

— Texas should still be considered the team to beat for five-star Saguaro (Ariz.) cornerback Kelee Ringo. He has visited UT more than any other school and elected to spend his entire spring break in Austin. Ringo also has several ties to the program. With that said, Georgia is definitely a big threat. Ringo loved his recent visit there, and Georgia is building steam in his recruitment. Oregon also made a huge impression on his weekend visit. Assistant Donte Williams has formed a strong relationship with the elite level prospect. Oklahoma was supposed to get him on campus for its spring game but did not. He is working on rescheduling that visit. OU also remains firmly in the mix.

— Five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson made a visit to Oregon for the Ducks’ spring game over the weekend. While Wilson is intrigued by the idea of leaving the western part of the country, he feels extremely comfortable at Oregon. In fact, I’m told the Ducks have been making a huge impression on him as of late and are surging. Still, Texas should get Wilson on campus soon. Remember, he listed UT in his final five without ever visiting campus. Wilson has a strong relationship with the staff and loves what the program has to offer.

— Five-star Kennedy Catholic (Wash.) linebacker Sav'ell Smalls has recently made stops at Florida, Washington State and Oregon. Smalls is still working on setting up more visits, and he would like to get to both Texas and Texas A&M at some point in the near future. I’m told that Smalls remains wide open in his recruitment and is not leaning anywhere at this point in the process. The plan is for Smalls to use all of his official visits and make a late decision.

— Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe recently made visits to Oregon and Miami. Like with Smalls, I’m told Flowe is very open in his recruitment and wants to make a later decision. Texas has been a trendy pick for Flowe due to the Longhorns’ success in California and his ties to Bru McCoy and De'Gabriel Floyd. But I would pump the brakes here. Texas really needs to get Flowe in for an unofficial visit before the Longhorns should be considered a frontrunner.

— Five-star Desert Pines (Nev.) tight end Darnell Washington has made visits to Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Miami. Washington has talked about visiting Texas, and that may still happen. However, it’s hard for me to envision Washington landing in Austin. I’m told that he is likely to end up somewhere in the SEC.

(Holland)

It seems like there is a period every spring where recruiting slows down and targets go off the board to other programs. Despite that happening, Texas has been able to close with elite recruiting classes in the last two cycles. Over the last few weeks, the Longhorns have seen some movement at the defensive back position. The secondary has never been an issue for Texas in recruiting. The Longhorns signed a historic haul in 2018, and they followed it up with a talented group in 2019 class. The Longhorns haven’t landed a defensive back in 2020, but the picture is starting to become clearer. Let’s look at where things stand with their top targets.

Kelee Ringo — The five-star Saguaro (Ariz.) cornerback is one of the top overall players on the board for the Longhorns. Texas hosted him multiple times in the last sixth months, and he recently made a weeklong unofficial visit. At the time of the visit, sources were very bullish on Texas’ chances, and not much has changed on that front. Ringo recently visited Georgia and Oregon, and he will likely have a national recruitment that stretches out over time. Texas already has a strong relationship built, and seeing him this spring will re-enforce that.

Jahari Rogers — No player came away from the spring game more impressed with their visit than Arlington’s Jahari Rogers. The four-star cornerback was thought to be a lock to Oklahoma early in the cycle, but the aggressive recruiting style from Texas swung the momentum. Rogers still plans to take some official visits to other programs during the spring, but Texas sits in a strong position. He’s a smart kid and he’s not about the hype of his recruitment, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him shut things down early.

Ryan Watts — Texas got Watts on campus shortly after offering, but the Longhorns never really established any more presence in his recruitment. During that time, Oklahoma was able to grab his attention, and they landed a commitment from him yesterday after his strong spring game visit with the Sooners.

Joshua Eaton — I believe that Texas was very close to gaining a commitment from Eaton following his offer on junior day, but increased attention from other programs caused him to slow things down. Texas got Eaton back on campus for the spring game, and he raved about his visit. He told Horns247 that he wanted to take visits and make a signing day decision, but he could realistically pull the trigger at any time. Oklahoma and Oregon seem to be threats, and Texas A&M is in there as well.

Kitan Crawford — The John Tyler athlete recently cut his list of schools down, and Texas was a finalist. Sources in Austin have been very high on Crawford’s skill, and I’m told that Texas views him as one of the best overall prospects in the state. I don’t expect his recruitment to go a long way, and I’ll have a better idea of where things stand once I see him in a spring practice session.

Chris Thompson — The Longhorns have been a constant in Thompson’s recruitment, and he will be one of the first players they see this week. Texas is set to host Thompson for an official visit during the spring, and there is some optimism in Austin that the staff can get the four-star safety in the fold before the fall. Thompson has always been high on Texas, while he recently took visits to LSU, Auburn and Clemson. Thompson is the best chance to build some instant momentum, and his influence will help Texas in its efforts recruiting the Dallas area.

Lathan Ransom — Texas is really trying to get something going here, but I don’t see the Longhorns as a serious player at this point. That could change if they are able to get Ransom on campus, but I’m told that Oklahoma feels very good about its chances to land the elite safety following his spring game visit. Ransom has some ties to Austin, and the Longhorns have had success in Arizona, but I don’t believe there is a ton of reason for optimism right now.

Bryson Washington — This one could potentially hurt for the Longhorns. Texas was a heavy favorite in the spring, and there were whispers that Washington was close to shutting things down. Washington left Norman after his spring game visit and began formulating a commitment video. That would almost certainly spell doom for Texas, but the Longhorns still have a shot. They are set to host Washington on an official visit in June, and they could turn the tide if he makes it to that visit. As of right, now my money is on the Sooners. I’m told that Lincoln Riley is making a big impact in this recruitment by personally establishing a relationship with Washington.

Xavion Alford — There was some panic a few weeks ago when crystal balls came rolling in for LSU, but Texas stemmed that momentum by getting Alford in for the spring game. In speaking with Alford and sources around him, I’m told that LSU is the biggest threat to Texas at this time, and that lines up with what we heard earlier in the spring. Alford plans to stay patient, and Texas has the chance to continue chipping away for him.

One more note: If Texas loses out on some of their top targets, I’m told they are prepared to evaluate a few backup options during the spring. One name that is gaining momentum is The Colony (Texas) safety Christian Gonzalez. The 247Sports Composite four-star prospect holds early offers from Colorado, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Baylor. (Roach)

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

What are the good points?

It appears that Wescott, as he always does, wants to whine and cry and bitch about shit but he doesn't want to talk about the actual recruits or the elephant in the room with DFW recruits and the respective trainers/7on7 guys that have leverage there. Look, there are guys in the DFW area that I want to be in this 2020 class. There are some in every class but I see exactly zero reasons to fucking panic about DFW area recruiting short and long term or see anything systemic at fault. 

First, let's talk about the 4 guys that have Texas offers in 2020. Does anyone here think that Texas has a systemic issue because OU has Ryan Watts, Drew Sanders, and Micheal Henderson committed? Do you truly think that Wescott has a good point because of this trend? Do you think that if Texas had those 3 players committed that OU would have a systemic issue recruiting in DFW? 

2019? Theo Wease was NEVER EVER EVER coming to Texas. Ever. Ditto Stogner. Does anyone think this staff wanted and/or pushed for EJNO? Would anyone here trade Adimora for Jamal Morris or Ty DeArman? Do you want to trade Braun, Hookfin or Shepherd for Marcus Alexander? Trejan Bridges is fucking good but he wasn't coming to Texas. 

2018? Darrel Simpson is not a Texas OL. Anyone here want to trade AlVontre Woodard for Jaylon Robinson? Which of Sterns, Foster, or Overshown are you going to trade for Delarrin Turner-Yell? Malcolm Epps for Brayden Willis? 

I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's ass and saying everything is puppies and rainbows but I fail to see anything systemic about DFW recruiting. Fuck that guy and his constant crying. 

I haven't paid much attention to this Westcott dude. Is his a pay site?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

— Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe recently made visits to Oregon and Miami. Like with Smalls, I’m told Flowe is very open in his recruitment and wants to make a later decision. Texas has been a trendy pick for Flowe due to the Longhorns’ success in California and his ties to Bru McCoy and De'Gabriel Floyd. But I would pump the brakes here. Texas really needs to get Flowe in for an unofficial visit before the Longhorns should be considered a frontrunner.

I think he's closer to leaning towards Georgia than being "very open"

IT is getting pissy with posters after they promised a top 3 class and some of our targets are trending in the wrong direction. 

1. Declare 2020 will be a top 3 class to generat clicks

2. Passive aggressively call out paying customers for getting frustrated

4. Collect 9.95

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

IT is getting pissy with posters after they promised a top 3 class and some of our targets are trending in the wrong direction. 

1. Declare 2020 will be a top 3 class to generat clicks

2. Passive aggressively call out paying customers for getting frustrated

4. Collect 9.95

I don't remember them saying top 3 class. I do remember them saying it will be the best class they've ever covered... so the 2018 class is the standard.

I could see this being a 4th or 5th ranked class that ends up better than the 2018 class.

Edited by Machinator

I have not visited Burnt Orange Nation since Bean mailed it in and made Wescott Eberts the face of his franchise.  I have not missed it at all.  I am just glad it was not a pay site.  The re-posted content that I have seen from there is mostly Wescott zoned into in his Mack Brown  "scared to death" and "sky is falling" frame of mind.   FCB and FWE.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't remember them saying top 3 class. I do remember them saying it will be the best class they've ever covered... so the 2018 class is the standard.

I could see this being a 4th or 5th ranked class that ends up better than the 2018 class.

Nahlin said that on multiple occasions. He even got snippy with a poster who asked him if he still thought a top 3 class would happen. 

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

who are 5 stars in Texas besides Evans?

Demas and McClellan.  Good chance it'll change some.  Whittington didn't become a 5* until right at the end.  Best bets are probably Ja'Quendin Jackson and Chris Thompson.  Not sure any OL or DL reach composite 5* status.

2021 will have several. 

Mike at Night: Talking staff visits and a decision nearing

—John Tyler ATH Kitan Crawford sent out a tweet indicating a decision could be coming soon. I checked in with Crawford, but he said he didn’t have a date in mind. He gave me the idea that a commitment could come out of the blue. Crawford recently cut his list to a Top 3 of Baylor, Texas and Tennessee. Crawford took his official visit to Knoxville almost two weeks ago, and I’m told that things went well. However, some sources I spoke with indicated that they would be surprised if he went too far from home. My crystal ball pick is currently on Texas, and I’ve heard nothing that would change that. I will see Crawford sometime next week during spring workouts to get a better idea.

—What kind of player is Crawford? He played a few different positions including running back and cornerback for the Lions. He’s also a standout on the track. His best listed track time is 10.58 in the 100m and a 22.16 200m. He also ran on a 4X1 that holds the top two spots on the list of John Tyler track records. As a sophomore, Crawford logged a 22’4 long jump, so it’s clear that he has some dynamic athleticism. In coverage he shows natural fluidity and a feel for playing in space. As I wrote in The Stampede, there are some sources in Austin who feel that Crawford has the potential to be the best defensive back in this class.

—Craig Naivar and Oscar Giles stopped by Katy Tompkins today. Tompkins is home to 2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye, and the Longhorns made a statement by stopping by to see him right off the bat. It’s still early for the Under Armour All-American, but Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M all sit in a strong position for the 2021 star. Naivar will begin the week in Houston seeing 2020 targets including Bryson Washington before moving to DFW in the last half of the week to make a stop at Duncanville.

—Jason Washington made his way out to Florida to see Jahquez Robinson. The three-star Sandalwood (Fla.) cornerback is committed to Alabama, but he showed interest in Texas after they offered in January. Robinson has been open about the desire to take other visits, and he confirmed with me that he plans to set up an official visit to Austin soon.  Robinson is targeting the May 4th weekend to take his OV.

—While he’s in Florida, I expect Washington to see Ethan Pouncey. The four-star Winter Park (Fla.) cornerback holds a slew of offers from the elite programs in the nation, and his brother Jordan Pouncey is already at Texas. The Longhorns have yet to offer, but they could if Washington likes what he sees during an in-person evaluation.

Notes from E.J.'s final Periscope:

- This will be EJ's last chat as a Texas reporter (he's parked outside a Kroger). Doing one last chat to say thanks to everyone. Been a very lengthy, strenuous process for him and he's glad it's coming to a close. Will miss covering Texas and his Horns247 colleagues. Calls it 'bittersweet' but exciting. Was time for him to explore new opportunities. Can't yet reveal what he's doing, but it's something that 'caught his attention'.

- Over the last few months E.J. felt he hadn't been putting in 120% and realized like he didn't love covering Texas football anymore. It 'wasn't for him'. Roach will do a terrific job in his stead while he "takes the next step." Enjoyed the experience. Still employed until Sunday.

- Still very passionate about what he does. He'll still be very involved in reporting/recruiting in his new job moving forward, and he's staying in the recruiting industry. Won't be part of 247. Notes that USC247 nearly hired him away from Horns247 a couple of years ago.

- He's not covering A&M, although he talked to someone about doing so. Says it takes a very 'special' type of person to cover A&M recruiting. He recently sold his Manziel football jersey for $20. He'll miss arguing with Aggie fans in his mentions. Will still be staying in Texas until the end of the year, his new place will definitely suit him.

- Not really interested in reading sports outside of recruiting. Obviously not partnering with Hamm, that was a joke. But he wants to get a picture with him and tell him goodbye.

- Favourite UT recruit of all time was Anthony Cook. EJ related to Cook, and he reminded him of himself. Had a certain 'swagger' but was also very intelligent. They got along very well.

- Favourite recruitment to follow was actually Jordan Elliott. Was in his first year, and EJ ran into a lot of angry Michigan fans who swore he wasn't going to flip. Got Elliott's mom to admit that he was right all along after the flip.

- Not covering blOU. EJ doesn't troll blOU at all, has a lot of respect for their program. Owns a Malcolm Kelly jersey.

- EJ's cat has never been on a plane before, he's concerned about the trip.

• Like 4