Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night: What's next for safety recruiting?

With the loss of Chris Thompson, let’s take a look at where the safety board stands for Texas in 2020.

— It’s important to note that the Longhorns are not likely to give up on Thompson until he signs his LOI. Don’t expect to see a backup option offered right now. I don’t see Texas reaching for a prospect just to fill a slot. Thompson had a unique fit, and there isn’t really a candidate to go after next.

— A few people have asked about The Colony DB Christian Gonzalez. Texas evaluated Gonzalez during the spring, but chose not to offer at that point. Gonzalez is deciding tomorrow, and wants the opportunity to play cornerback at the next level. I really like him as a high-ceiling prospect, but he doesn’t bring the physicality to his game that Texas looks for in defensive backs.

— Next up for Texas is Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson. Sources still expect the East Texan to side with the Longhorns when he makes his commitment, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that announcement comes soon. Thompson can play a few different positions in the secondary, but he’s either going to be a field safety or nickel at the next level. TCU is the other school Texas is battling with for Thompson, but I expect him to be a Longhorn commit before the season starts.

— Texas is also focused on recruiting Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. Alford has the same type of versatility as Thompson, and the Longhorns have been putting in a lot of work. When we spoke with Alford during The Opening Finals, Alabama was the school generating the most buzz. After checking in last week, it sounds like Alabama’s momentum may be fading and Texas is still hanging in there. The bottom line is the momentum on Alford swung several times over the course of the last year, and there could still be some twists and turns down the road.

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Besides the sheer elation of landing Bijan because he’s the football love child of Alvin Kamara and Lesean McCoy (no! bijan’s 40 is like .06 slower than McCoy / @Katfid54), getting to laugh at all the Zach Evans drama from afar because we already have a 5 star RB is really going to increase the amount of entertainment I derive from the 2020 cycle. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1