Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

But, that wasn't one of the reasons he gave. He stated DB coaching, mom, and doubts about our upcoming season.

Most kids aren’t going to publicly admit the depth chart is a worry, it’s basically saying you fear you may not be good enough.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So if Texas DB's have a good season and Florida takes a step back, an in-state Texas player like Jahari  is a flip candidate... staying closer to home is often a recruiting advantage.

Unless the easier road to playing time at Florida is a big draw to him. If that's part of the reason he's heading there in the first place, then a good season by our young DBs + whoever replaces him as a verbal isn't going to make him come to his senses.

But that's "IF" the depth chart is part of it. There's a case to be made, but I don't think we "know" that. 

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So if whenTexas DB's have a good season and Florida takes a step back, an in-state Texas player like Jahari  is a flip candidate... staying closer to home is often a recruiting advantage.

FIFY

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So if Texas DB's have a good season and Florida takes a step back, an in-state Texas player like Jahari  is a flip candidate... staying closer to home is often a recruiting advantage.

Fuck any player that leaves an offer from Texas behind in order to go play at Florida. If that’s where he commits, I’ll happily cheer against him with a vehement pettiness for the duration of his career. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Fuck any player that leaves an offer from Texas behind in order to go play at Florida. If that’s where he commits, I’ll happily cheer against him with a vehement pettiness for the duration of his career. 

I can't imagine having any strong feelings about post-Urban Florida football, but more power to you.

Just now, texifornia said:

I can't imagine having any strong feelings about post-Urban Florida football, but more power to you.

That’s the point. Florida is a shit place to choose over Texas. Making that decision is fucking stupid and easy to cheer against. I don’t give one fuck otherwise about UF. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

is Florida DB development really been better than ours? Can’t think of a good Florida, in the NFL, CB since like  Joe haden? 

And didnt they run off their west coast CB in like 3 months?

Their depth chart is wide open after two CBs left, including the kid from Cali that was there for 2 months.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Meh, FL is a good school and a fun place to go.  Damn good in fact.  Latest USN rankings have them @ 35.  We're @ 49.  Aggie is a negative number.  Still trying to sort that one out....

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Meh, FL is a good school and a fun place to go.  Damn good in fact.  Latest USN rankings have them @ 35.  We're @ 49.  Aggie is a negative number.  Still trying to sort that one out....

Exactly, it's fine. No strong feelings either way.

9 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

is Florida DB development really been better than ours? Can’t think of a good Florida, in the NFL, CB since like  Joe haden? 

And didnt they run off their west coast CB in like 3 months?

Torrian Gray probably has a stronger track record than Jason Washington when it comes to producing NFL draft picks at DB.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of Mack’s recruits were 5 star types, and I think a lot were more technically sound out of HS. So it lends to the question of us Giles any good, or does he just do good with good talent. 

I wasn’t at the age to pay super close attention to the development of the DL during Giles’ first stint at texas, but in looking at his DLs at UH and here the last two years, it’s hard to see how Giles shouldn’t at least be considered solid at coaching his position. 

UH’s DL performed well both years under him, even before they got Oliver, and our DLs have been pretty good under him, even last year when we were lacking some depth and talent.

Poona had his best year by far under Giles, Omenihu developed, Nelson got better. Hager sucked, but Jesus Christ himself could’ve come back to coach the DL and Hager’s play still would’ve been more antichrist than savior. 

I agree it’ll be interesting to see how guys recruited for, I mean, by Giles develop, but barring them absolutely bombing, I think Giles has to be given an above average grade for coaching his position.  And some of the guys recruited by Giles already seem to be developing, like Ossai and Coburn.

Taquon Graham will probably be the best immediate test case. He’s going into his third year under Giles and has the physical tools to be great, but it hasn’t fully clicked for him yet.

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We should clean up at WR and LB.

Are you trying to say you think our WR depth chart is wide open?

Idk if I can agree with that. I haven’t seen any WR recruits say on the record that’s the reason they committed to Texas.

• Like 3

Hate to do this on a potential day of celebration, but Super K says it's going to be Florida for Jahari Rogers.

Bummer, but DL is more important than corner in this cycle. Especially with Crawford already in the fold.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How realistic is this class which excludes a late blooming lb and a RB flip? Besides those, is a corner all that's left to add? Eaton?

https://ibb.co/HGjjd9d (can't embed it)

Am I missing or too bullish on anyone besides Wilson? I left off Achane in favor of QJ.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How realistic is this class which excludes a late blooming lb and a RB flip? Besides those, is a corner all that's left to add? Eaton?

https://ibb.co/HGjjd9d (can't embed it)

Am I missing or too bullish on anyone besides Wilson? I left off Achane in favor of QJ.

To embed an imgbb link, hit "HTML full linked" from the drop down Embed Codes menu, and you should see the address you need to copy in the middle of all the extraneous fluff.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wasn’t at the age to pay super close attention to the development of the DL during Giles’ first stint at texas, but in looking at his DLs at UH and here the last two years, it’s hard to see how Giles shouldn’t at least be considered solid at coaching his position. 

UH’s DL performed well both years under him, even before they got Oliver, and our DLs have been pretty good under him, even last year when we were lacking some depth and talent.

Poona had his best year by far under Giles, Omenihu developed, Nelson got better. Hager sucked, but Jesus Christ himself could’ve come back to coach the DL and Hager’s play still would’ve been more antichrist than savior. 

I agree it’ll be interesting to see how guys recruited for, I mean, by Giles develop, but barring them absolutely bombing, I think Giles has to be given an above average grade for coaching his position.  And some of the guys recruited by Giles already seem to be developing, like Ossai and Coburn.

Taquon Graham will probably be the best immediate test case. He’s going into his third year under Giles and has the physical tools to be great, but it hasn’t fully clicked for him yet.

Are you trying to say you think our WR depth chart is wide open?

Idk if I can agree with that. I haven’t seen any WR recruits say on the record that’s the reason they committed to Texas.

I don't know about wide open, but like Florida, we lost a California guy after like 2 months and we may or may not have an equal replacement for CJ.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I don't know about wide open, but like Florida, we lost a California guy after like 2 months and we may or may not have an equal replacement for CJ. 

At least lost ours because our coaches are hardasses, not because we forced him to room with Captain McRapey.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Gainesville is Waco but in Florida. 

Except in Gainesville, Chip and Jo would be cousins who hooked up in county jail. Jo was locked up for throwing alligator piss at her ex-boyfriend, who left her for his babysitter/girlfriend and Chip for screaming "Santa isn't real!" at kids during a Christmas festival.  Now they give advice on the best prison tats and wall art for your jail cell and have 3 kids and 5 pythons, all of whom play together unattended in their backyard. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Roach: Stampede [Defensive Targets]

Spoiler

The mid-summer checkpoint is upon us, and the 2020 recruiting cycle has officially made its way into the second half. As we did in the spring, The Stampede will reset the recruiting board and evaluate some secondary options at positions.

DEFENSIVE LINE

DE Jalen Logan-Redding, Columbia (Mo.) Rock Bridge

Texas took the opportunity to evaluate Logan-Redding during the spring, and he was no stranger to campus this year. The Missouri native visited Texas three times during the year, and he worked out at camp during the summer to allow the staff to see him up close. Logan-Redding has the Longhorns in his top group of schools, and I feel they can land him if they continue to push.

DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

Collins is one of the top targets on the Texas board, and the Longhorns have been recruiting him as such since they offered last fall. Collins is down to a tight group of finalists that he plans to officially visit during the fall. The Longhorns will be facing off against Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and LSU.Collins is a local prospect with ties to Texas, and he visited several times throughout the spring and summer. The fall will lead to some momentum swings after each visit, but as of now I feel that Texas is in the lead for Collins.

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor

Umanmielen has been a bit of a tough read during this cycle. If you look at it on the surface, Umanmielen has been to Texas more than any other school over the last year. The local prospect was a regular visitor during the spring and summer, and the proximity to home makes sense for the Longhorns. Umanmielen has said in the past that he would like to play in a four-man front, but he admitted that it wouldn’t be the ultimate deciding factor. Reading between the lines, Texas A&M and Oklahoma seem to pose the biggest threat, and Texas will have to pitch him on the right fit to land him.

DE Van Fillinger, Draper (UT.) Canyon Corner

Texas identified Fillinger during the spring and brought him on campus during the summer. Early indications are that Michigan leads for him, but Texas made an impression during his two visits in the summer. This could come down to the way things play out with the Longhorns’ primary targets at the position, but I’m told they could gain position if they push.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge

Broughton is set to decide today, and as we’ve said, there is some confidence in Texas going into the decision. I checked with sources Sunday on Broughton and was told that the video was done but the ending would be kept a surprise until the reveal. The Longhorns have been running in the lead the longest, and I’m sticking with my pick for Texas.

LINEBACKERS

LB Josh White, Cy Creek

White committed to LSU in the spring, but he plans to take some official visits during the fall. Texas remained in contact throughout the spring and summer, and is expected to get White on campus for a game this season. He will be an important target down the stretch as the state runs low on linebackers.

LB Len'Neth Whitehead, Athens (Ga.) Athens Academy

Whitehead is probably a long shot at this point, but he’s showing enough interest in Texas to name the Longhorns as a school that will definitely get an official visit from the four-star linebacker. Georgia is the heavy favorite with Whitehead playing high school ball in Athens, but Texas will have an opportunity to make an impression on him if the Longhorns get him in during the fall.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne

Scott originally wanted to take his visits during the summer, but time constraints with the dead period means he will push a few to the fall. Todd Orlando has been all over Scott during his recruitment, and the four-star linebacker told Horns247 that Orlando is the assistant he has the best relationship with.Kansas is making a big push, but everything I’ve heard to this point is that Texas has the edge.

Secondary Targets: There are really no prospects on the radar right now that could be credible backup options. If Texas misses on the primary guys, I think it’s safe to say we’ll see some new evaluations done during the fall.

CORNERBACK

CB Kelee Ringo, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro

Ringo is one of the top overall players in the country, and he’s naturally attracting attention from the best schools in the country. Texas was the perceived leader in the spring, but Georgia made a big push and took the edge heading into the summer. Texas will get another chance to host Ringo during the fall, but it’s going to take a big effort to re-take the lead in this recruitment.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington

Heading into the summer, I would have told you that Rogers was one of the most likely guys to commit to Texas. Texas did a great job turning the tide in his recruitment, but Florida came on strong during the last few months. This is a very close race, and there are some external factors proving to be obstacles in the Longhorns' path. The level of confidence fluctuates daily from people I speak with, so this race is starting to get interesting.

CB Ethan Pouncey, Winter Park (Fla.)

Pouncey was offered during the summer, and Texas has a natural link with his brother, Jordan Pouncey, currently on the roster. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has been building this relationship over the last month, and I would look for Texas to turn up the heat a little bit once the season is underway.

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur

There was a time where it seemed Eaton was very close to committing to Texas, but he decided to push his timeline and that seemed to stall a lot of momentum in his recruitment. Eaton since planned to commit on signing day, but now he’s saying it will be in the summer. If the Longhorns land Rogers, they will likely chase Ringo to attempt to put a cherry on top of the class.

SAFETY

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic

Ransom gave Texas some optimism after making multiple visits during the summer. Ohio State seemed to take a lead following the last OV weekend before the dead period, and I haven’t heard anything to sway me from predicting the Buckeyes.

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville

Thompson got the most out of his recruitment during the spring and summer, and is set to make a decision on Aug. 1. Texas has been the logical landing point for Thompson, and the Longhorns slugged it out with all of his other contenders during the summer. Auburn is the main source of opposition to the Longhorns right now, but I’m sticking with Texas as the pick come Aug. 1.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

Texas recruited Alford hard throughout the spring and summer, and sat near the top of his list for most of that time. Of late, there are whispers that Alabama is taking a lead in this recruitment, and everything I’ve heard leads me to believe that to be true. It’s not the end for Texas though. Alford swung back and forth with a few schools this spring, and I believe Texas could still get back in it for him eventually.

Secondary Options: Texas had a big group of safeties it was working on, so the staff will be almost starting from scratch with any backup safety options. Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson is a prospect who could be on the radar should Texas need to go further, but this is likely a case of identifying other targets in the fall.

Edited by Dummy

2 hours ago, Fud said:

He's looking up at Cook, Green, Kenyatta, Jamison, and Crawford on the depth chart, and could be a Boyce type who gets passed up by the class behind him. There's also a non-zero chance we land Ringo. While I'd like to have him, he's replaceable in this class. 

Listing Ringo is just laughable. It’s non zero only because 0.0000001% is technically non zero. 

17 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Roach: Stampede [Defensive Targets]

Hide contents

The mid-summer checkpoint is upon us, and the 2020 recruiting cycle has officially made its way into the second half. As we did in the spring, The Stampede will reset the recruiting board and evaluate some secondary options at positions.

DEFENSIVE LINE

DE Jalen Logan-Redding, Columbia (Mo.) Rock Bridge

Texas took the opportunity to evaluate Logan-Redding during the spring, and he was no stranger to campus this year. The Missouri native visited Texas three times during the year, and he worked out at camp during the summer to allow the staff to see him up close. Logan-Redding has the Longhorns in his top group of schools, and I feel they can land him if they continue to push.

DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

Collins is one of the top targets on the Texas board, and the Longhorns have been recruiting him as such since they offered last fall. Collins is down to a tight group of finalists that he plans to officially visit during the fall. The Longhorns will be facing off against Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and LSU.Collins is a local prospect with ties to Texas, and he visited several times throughout the spring and summer. The fall will lead to some momentum swings after each visit, but as of now I feel that Texas is in the lead for Collins.

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor

Umanmielen has been a bit of a tough read during this cycle. If you look at it on the surface, Umanmielen has been to Texas more than any other school over the last year. The local prospect was a regular visitor during the spring and summer, and the proximity to home makes sense for the Longhorns. Umanmielen has said in the past that he would like to play in a four-man front, but he admitted that it wouldn’t be the ultimate deciding factor. Reading between the lines, Texas A&M and Oklahoma seem to pose the biggest threat, and Texas will have to pitch him on the right fit to land him.

DE Van Fillinger, Draper (UT.) Canyon Corner

Texas identified Fillinger during the spring and brought him on campus during the summer. Early indications are that Michigan leads for him, but Texas made an impression during his two visits in the summer. This could come down to the way things play out with the Longhorns’ primary targets at the position, but I’m told they could gain position if they push.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge

Broughton is set to decide today, and as we’ve said, there is some confidence in Texas going into the decision. I checked with sources Sunday on Broughton and was told that the video was done but the ending would be kept a surprise until the reveal. The Longhorns have been running in the lead the longest, and I’m sticking with my pick for Texas.

LINEBACKERS

LB Josh White, Cy Creek

White committed to LSU in the spring, but he plans to take some official visits during the fall. Texas remained in contact throughout the spring and summer, and is expected to get White on campus for a game this season. He will be an important target down the stretch as the state runs low on linebackers.

LB Len'Neth Whitehead, Athens (Ga.) Athens Academy

Whitehead is probably a long shot at this point, but he’s showing enough interest in Texas to name the Longhorns as a school that will definitely get an official visit from the four-star linebacker. Georgia is the heavy favorite with Whitehead playing high school ball in Athens, but Texas will have an opportunity to make an impression on him if the Longhorns get him in during the fall.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne

Scott originally wanted to take his visits during the summer, but time constraints with the dead period means he will push a few to the fall. Todd Orlando has been all over Scott during his recruitment, and the four-star linebacker told Horns247 that Orlando is the assistant he has the best relationship with.Kansas is making a big push, but everything I’ve heard to this point is that Texas has the edge.

Secondary Targets: There are really no prospects on the radar right now that could be credible backup options. If Texas misses on the primary guys, I think it’s safe to say we’ll see some new evaluations done during the fall.

CORNERBACK

CB Kelee Ringo, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro

Ringo is one of the top overall players in the country, and he’s naturally attracting attention from the best schools in the country. Texas was the perceived leader in the spring, but Georgia made a big push and took the edge heading into the summer. Texas will get another chance to host Ringo during the fall, but it’s going to take a big effort to re-take the lead in this recruitment.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington

Heading into the summer, I would have told you that Rogers was one of the most likely guys to commit to Texas. Texas did a great job turning the tide in his recruitment, but Florida came on strong during the last few months. This is a very close race, and there are some external factors proving to be obstacles in the Longhorns' path. The level of confidence fluctuates daily from people I speak with, so this race is starting to get interesting.

CB Ethan Pouncey, Winter Park (Fla.)

Pouncey was offered during the summer, and Texas has a natural link with his brother, Jordan Pouncey, currently on the roster. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has been building this relationship over the last month, and I would look for Texas to turn up the heat a little bit once the season is underway.

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur

There was a time where it seemed Eaton was very close to committing to Texas, but he decided to push his timeline and that seemed to stall a lot of momentum in his recruitment. Eaton since planned to commit on signing day, but now he’s saying it will be in the summer. If the Longhorns land Rogers, they will likely chase Ringo to attempt to put a cherry on top of the class.

SAFETY

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic

Ransom gave Texas some optimism after making multiple visits during the summer. Ohio State seemed to take a lead following the last OV weekend before the dead period, and I haven’t heard anything to sway me from predicting the Buckeyes.

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville

Thompson got the most out of his recruitment during the spring and summer, and is set to make a decision on Aug. 1. Texas has been the logical landing point for Thompson, and the Longhorns slugged it out with all of his other contenders during the summer. Auburn is the main source of opposition to the Longhorns right now, but I’m sticking with Texas as the pick come Aug. 1.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

Texas recruited Alford hard throughout the spring and summer, and sat near the top of his list for most of that time. Of late, there are whispers that Alabama is taking a lead in this recruitment, and everything I’ve heard leads me to believe that to be true. It’s not the end for Texas though. Alford swung back and forth with a few schools this spring, and I believe Texas could still get back in it for him eventually.

Secondary Options: Texas had a big group of safeties it was working on, so the staff will be almost starting from scratch with any backup safety options. Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson is a prospect who could be on the radar should Texas need to go further, but this is likely a case of identifying other targets in the fall.

Secondary Linebacker Targets: There are really no prospects on the radar right now that could be credible backup options.

This is just way too true. Scott plus a JUCO seems like our most likely outcome. Herman needs to do something about this. It's beyond clear Orlando cannot be left to recruit LB himself. This is 2 out of 3 years where he's pretty much shit the bed at the position. Not to mention, Orlando seems not only bad at recruiting his targets, but he also seems to struggle to identify who will work in his system.  He's been taking way too many guys that profile to Mac, or even profile for being too slow for Mac, like Adeoye and Juwan Mitchell. Orlando doesn't have a single realistic Rover target identified right now and he didn't take a Rover in 2018, either, and Rover may be the most important position in his defense after Nose Tackle. 

As for DB, both CB and S seem to be struggling just a bit. I think Naivar and Washington are both victims of their own success the past two years. It's not surprising that the depth chart may be pushing away a couple guys that we'd normally get, like Washington and Rogers. We'll be fine at those positions and I'd bet a dip this year leads to another ungodly DB haul in 2021. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The IT guys seem to be hinting that Pouncey is the next guy up at corner 

TFB has seemed more plugged in to Pouncey's recruitment than other sites.

It would be hard to be too upset with a CB class of Crawford and Pouncey, especially since it seems like Orlando will be pulling from the Safety pool to fill Nickel most years. 

Do you have any thoughts on Pouncey? 247 seems to be overrating him by having him at #86 in the country, but he definitely looks like a 4 star to me and a quality CB2 take. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

TFB has seemed more plugged in to Pouncey's recruitment than other sites.

It would be hard to be too upset with a CB class of Crawford and Pouncey, especially since it seems like Orlando will be pulling from the Safety pool to fill Nickel most years. 

Do you have any thoughts on Pouncey? 247 seems to be overrating him by having him at #86 in the country, but he definitely looks like a 4 star to me and a quality CB2 take.  

Not yet. Probably about time to start looking into him. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As for DB, both CB and S seem to be struggling just a bit. 

It looks like Texas, as well as TCU, is willing to wait and see if there are some late-risers at the CB spot this year. It's simply not a particularly talented group - and very few of them match the physical criteria we've seen under this staff. (excluding Lorando Johnson for obvious reasons). Outside of Crawford and Kimber there isn't a guy that you look at in state right now that screams take. Hell, the fact that Texas is recruiting Rogers as hard as they have is an indictment of this class because he's a project. Baylor and Tech have already taken reaches at CB and it's July. TCU went OOS to secure a good scheme fit. I felt like Texas should've pulled the trigger on Kelvontay Dixon even when Ringo was a possibility but looking at it now - I'd really like to have him. 

• Like 1

Just now, golfclap said:

Kelvontay Dixon

You seem to be in the know on dixon and all, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else, so questions in relation to Texas:

Are you the person I'm thinking of: ? (if Yes, continue on. If No, sorry, but continue on and humor me anyway)

Chances he'd flip: ?

Chances they'd even try to flip him: ?