Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, GotThatFire said:

For me, had he left before all the Dallas to Austin stuff he started putting out there, I'd have thought nothing of it.

If its samples, or anyone for that matter, you don’t have any of the details about when the opportunity arose. Should he have just not done his job at all because he MIGHT have an opportunity later he takes? Would that have been a sign of higher character to you? 

Just now, GotThatFire said:

For me, had he left before all the Dallas to Austin stuff he started putting out there, I'd have thought nothing of it.

In other words, the hard work and innovation which got him the attention he deserves should have never happened if he was going to leave. Would leaving had ever been an option in that scenario?

2 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

YES! EXACTLY!

If he had left after not doing a good job for his first employer then I would admire him more!

I mean the fact that in exchange for making some money he actually did a great job and increased the desirability of what his employer was selling and increased their brand value in a short time on the job makes me HATE HIS GUTS. How dare he do a good job? What an asshole.

That's why when looking for new employees I scour the ends of the earth looking for people who were shitty at their last job. That's what you want to see in an employee.

p.s. I think I figured out Giles's username.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If its samples, or anyone for that matter, you don’t have any of the details about when the opportunity arose. Should he have just not done his job at all because he MIGHT have an opportunity later he takes? Would that have been a sign of higher character to you? 

So, Giles is smarter than we think?!?

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just a reminder - Samples leaving is at best an unconfirmed assumption by the board.

But of course. Especially after reading this thread when he realizes that doing a good job and getting hired to a better position basically makes him unhirable.

• Like 1

First of all, I'd have been paying him more if his potential was so obvious. Our AD said we won't be losing staff because of money, so if he was really only making 30k, which I didn't know, to whom my disappointment is directed toward is largely misplaced here.

Then there's the fact that this impacts recruiting. Recruiting is drastically different than most other professions on the planet. Comparing this to (random job) as if all things are equal is simple bullshit. If we lose commits and fall out with recruits directly because of this, do you feel differently? 

2 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

First of all, I'd have been paying him more if his potential was so obvious. Our AD said we won't be losing staff because of money, so if he was really only making 30k, which I didn't know, to whom my disappointment is directed toward is largely misplaced here.

Then there's the fact that this impacts recruiting. Recruiting is drastically different than most other professions on the planet. Comparing this to (random job) as if all things are equal is simple bullshit. If we lose commits and fall out with recruits directly because of this, do you feel differently? 

I wouldn't blame Samples, that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

p.s. I think I figured out Giles's username.

ahh, so his username is a reference to his favorite wing flavor not a song lyric

3 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

If we lose him for an equal job, then I'll be mad at the rest of the staff because they clearly fucked something up. If he takes a promotion to be a position coach at another school, well sometimes that's just how corporate staffing works. UT will rarely promote a guy that's never been a college coach to full position coach level.

Edited by texifornia

Herman (during coach evaluations) : “Coach,  I really expect you to do a much better job recruiting your position.”

Giles & Drayton: “Look Tom, if I do a good job, other schools will desire to have me on their staff and you’ll lose me.”

Tom (after absorbing the intellect): “That’s fucking Mensa level shit right there! Here’s your extension!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

30-40k is what GAs make man. Like everywhere. Carrington had to hit multiple home runs in his role to get his big salary boost. If samples wants to be an on field  coach, he needs experience doing that job. If you want to get pissed at herman for not firing his dead weight and promoting samples, if he’s gone, well ok. Thats a different argument. But shitting on samples for taking a job offer elsewhere that would be a promotion in responsibility and a path towards him being a coach is fucking stupid. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

30-40k is what GAs make man. Like everywhere. Carrington has to hit multiple home runs in his role to get his big salary boost. If samples wants to be an on field  coach, he needs experience doing that job. If you want to get pissed at herman for not firing his dead weight and promoting samples, if he’s gone, well ok. Thats a different argument. But shitting on samples for taking s job offer elsewhere that would be a promotion in responsibility and a path towards him being a coach is fucking stupid. 

But the hashtag, tho!

Didn't BC have some supposed heavy flirtations with Oregon and LSU at one point?  In the end, it appeared to be posturing to obtain the salary/title bumps.  Always got the impression TH was in on it and needed the leverage to secure the raise for him.  If this has to do with Samples I hope it's similar in nature.

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I just dropped in to see what condition our condition was in....

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in
I watched myself crawling out as I was a-crawling in
I got up so tight I couldn't unwind
I saw so much I broke my mind

• Like 2