Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I felt like Texas should've pulled the trigger on Kelvontay Dixon even when Ringo was a possibility but looking at it now - I'd really like to have him. 

To me, this is the biggest head scratcher of the class so far.  He could fit in as a slot, RB, WR or DB. His brother is about to become a star here, and he's visited about 1000 times. I just don't get this (non) recruitment at all.

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

The IT guys seem to be hinting that Pouncey is the next guy up at corner 

For the longest time Wells kept on hinting that he was a take for Bama and would end up there. Nahlin also hinted today that Texas may look at Jacobe Covington (Ringo’s teammate). 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

To me, this is the biggest head scratcher of the class so far.  He could fit in as a slot, RB, WR or DB. His brother is about to become a star here, and he's visited about 1000 times. I just don't get this (non) recruitment at all.

guessing they think they can flip him later and have higher targets individually at each position?

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You seem to be in the know on dixon and all, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else, so questions in relation to Texas:

Are you the person I'm thinking of: ? (if Yes, continue on. If No, sorry, but continue on and humor me anyway)

Chances he'd flip: ?

Chances they'd even try to flip him: ?

Is kelvontay Ingram's cousin or brother?

35 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Why is this? Is he consensus not that good? Does Rivals have him significantly lower?

22 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Thanks

So what if someone says "Rivals seems to be underrating him by not even having him ranked nationally"?

I'm not talking about what other sites rate him, but obviously Rivals is stupid and underrating him likely because he's never been to a Rivals camp or performed poorly at one and that's all they based their grade on.

my opinion of him is from what I see on his film and have seen posted on other boards. He seems to be a bit of a fallback option for other programs, although I can't say that for sure as I haven't paid a ton of attention to him because he wasn't a top UT target. For instance, he's visited UF quite a bit, but it looks like they're gonna take Rogers over Pouncey. Idk if they'll still have a spot for Pouncey or if they have him higher than Rogers, but that's what it appears for now, as they already have 2 other CBs in their class before Rogers. Maybe they'll trapdoor someone for Pouncey. 

I think Pouncey is a 4 star talent, but I don't see the physical attributes of a top 100 player for him.  Maybe Fud's right on Bama taking Pouncey, but that would surprise me based on his film and how other schools have recruited him.

28 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It looks like Texas, as well as TCU, is willing to wait and see if there are some late-risers at the CB spot this year. It's simply not a particularly talented group - and very few of them match the physical criteria we've seen under this staff. (excluding Lorando Johnson for obvious reasons). Outside of Crawford and Kimber there isn't a guy that you look at in state right now that screams take. Hell, the fact that Texas is recruiting Rogers as hard as they have is an indictment of this class because he's a project. Baylor and Tech have already taken reaches at CB and it's July. TCU went OOS to secure a good scheme fit. I felt like Texas should've pulled the trigger on Kelvontay Dixon even when Ringo was a possibility but looking at it now - I'd really like to have him. 

yeah, I don't mean struggling as in we won't end up landing good/similar players. I just mean that we've been missing on some top targets at DB moreso than past years.  I definitely think we can get equivalent talent to replace Rogers. Washington, maybe not quite as much, especially when you consider that we play 4 safeties at a time on the field and would probably want at least a three man class, but we've recruited safety so well the last two years, it's almost impossible to not drive someone off because of the depth chart. 

Agree on Dixon. He always should've been a take because he could work at so many different positions, and now that we've missed on Mookie, Omeire, likely Achane, and are starting to move down the board at WR, I don't see how he's not a take. Hopefully, the staff gets back around to him soon and he wants to play with his brother enough to get over the fact that we've slow played him for so long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Y’all think CTJ will become our Rover?  He’s not exactly small.

We are going to have three "hybrid"-type athletes in this class between JQJ, Hullaby, and Chris Thompson Junior, so it's not outlandish to think one of them ends up at LB. However, they need to set the floor at the position by taking someone who learned how to play it in high school.

Regarding Dixon, Texas slowplayed him when he was all Texas. It irritated the family after awhile. Traylor watched it unfold and carved him off from our class. Traylor had been recruiting him since 8th grade and it didn’t turn out to be a particularly difficult effort. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that the surest way to get Texas to not offer you and push for your commitment is by acting as though you’re really interested. Herman basically doesn’t want to deal with anyone that he doesn’t work for, or something. 

Hamm Lite with the non-update update ::

I would have just added to yesterday's thread since there isn't really much new info but that one was majorly derailed and locked. Try to not attack each other on this one as everybody has made their feelings known already.

Broughton and his family have played things close to their vest but, just as I posted yesterday, I believe it will be Texas. I can't say with 100-percent certainty but, if it is A&M, it would come as a suprise to people on both sides.

The added info from today is that an announcement is likely to come mid-afternoon. I believe he is going to announce through Twitter.

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe Fud's right on Bama taking Pouncey, but that would surprise me based on his film and how other schools have recruited him.

I have no idea if he'll be a take for Bama. It's difficult to tell most of the time with them. 

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not talking about what other sites rate him, but obviously Rivals is stupid and underrating him likely because he's never been to a Rivals camp or performed poorly at one and that's all they based their grade on.

my opinion of him is from what I see on his film and have seen posted on other boards. He seems to be a bit of a fallback option for other programs, although I can't say that for sure as I haven't paid a ton of attention to him because he wasn't a top UT target. For instance, he's visited UF quite a bit, but it looks like they're gonna take Rogers over Pouncey. Idk if they'll still have a spot for Pouncey or if they have him higher than Rogers, but that's what it appears for now, as they already have 2 other CBs in their class before Rogers. Maybe they'll trapdoor someone for Pouncey. 

I think Pouncey is a 4 star talent, but I don't see the physical attributes of a top 100 player for him.  Maybe Fud's right on Bama taking Pouncey, but that would surprise me based on his film and how other schools have recruited him.

yeah, I don't mean struggling as in we won't end up landing good/similar players. I just mean that we've been missing on some top targets at DB moreso than past years.  I definitely think we can get equivalent talent to replace Rogers. Washington, maybe not quite as much, especially when you consider that we play 4 safeties at a time on the field and would probably want at least a three man class, but we've recruited safety so well the last two years, it's almost impossible to not drive someone off because of the depth chart. 

Agree on Dixon. He always should've been a take because he could work at so many different positions, and now that we've missed on Mookie, Omeire, likely Achane, and are starting to move down the board at WR, I don't see how he's not a take. Hopefully, the staff gets back around to him soon and he wants to play with his brother enough to get over the fact that we've slow played him for so long.

I agree that Washington and Naivar seem to be struggling a bit the last two cycles. Can't really deny the fact they have both missed on a lot most their top targets the last two years, especially Naivar. Williams, Richardson, Catalon, Washington, maybe Ransom, maybe Alford. Kimber, kind of Ringo, maybe Rogers, Jones. Maybe they really got a big boost from the first year bump and Houston connections in 2018, but I think they're good recruiters and good coaches regardless. Washington especially. 

I also think they're in a weird spot of having to sell guys on joining a full depth chart without also being able to show NFL success yet. It's not like Bama DL where you can say "come sit for 2 years then go in the first round." 

That said, we're obviously fine at DB. They are both really good at evaluating and recruiting Plan B and C guys and there are also many more of those guys than DL or LB. 

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hate to lose in state prospects to any school, but I will never understand losing 4/5* kids to Florida. I would imagine California feels the same way about losing their kids to Texas, except Austin is great and Gainsville is a shithole

Gainesville is awesome. Great island vibe, beautiful place and people. It happens.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do you have anything else to offer about it?

Since IT didn't spoil it, I assume it's meant to be kept hush hush. I will say, it's not a position coach leaving. 

EDIT: It's a positive for the staff member leaving, so don't want to spoil their news, but its a "semi" negative for us. 

Edited by ajfranz95