Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Thought VB might've committed since there were like 4 new pages on the thread, but I should've known that instead he won't be committing at all today, Rogers will be committing elsewhere, and it's being rumored that we'll lose one of the best recruiters on the staff.  Classic Surly right there. 

I realize Samples is super green and would never get a position coach job at UT with his resume, and I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but when compared to what we're getting out of the combined total of Warehime, Meekins, and Mehringer, it's hard to say canning one of those two and moving Samples to co-WR coach would really be a worse idea, even if Samples isn't ready to be a WR coach on his own right now.  Hell, Mehringer basically did the same thing as Samples, except he had one year of co-OC/QB coach at Division 1-AA James Madison, before becoming Herman's WR coach at UH, and it's pretty fucking obvious Samples has Mehringer beat in the recruiting aspect of the job. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thought VB might've committed since there were like 4 new pages on the thread, but I should've known that instead he won't be committing at all today, Rogers will be committing elsewhere, and it's being rumored that we'll lose one of the best recruiters on the staff.  Classic Surly right there. 

I realize Samples is super green and would never get a position coach job at UT with his resume, and I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but when compared to what we're getting out of the combined total of Warehime, Meekins, and Mehringer, it's hard to say canning one of those two and moving Samples to co-WR coach would really be a worse idea, even if Samples isn't ready to be a WR coach on his own right now.  Hell, Mehringer basically did the same thing as Samples, except he had one year of co-OC/QB coach at Division 1-AA James Madison, before becoming Herman's WR coach at UH, and it's pretty fucking obvious Samples has Mehringer beat in the recruiting aspect of the job. 

Hell, I know it is wishful thnking, but I have to think that UT would aim higher. Like get rid of Warehime and Meh and bring in a young, energetic DE coach and Beaty.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hell, I know it is wishful thnking, but I have to think that UT would aim higher. Like get rid of Warehime and Meh and bring in a young, energetic DE coach and Beaty.

I'm not saying promoting Samples is the best option, just that it doesn't seem worse than how we're currently using our staff spots.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not saying promoting Samples is the best option, just that it doesn't seem worse than how we're currently using our staff spots.

considering that bringing in elite recruits is arguably as important as any single thing on a staff I think you could say it’s the best option. 

11 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

The only person I recall indicating VB's video dropping today was 6Figs, the best in the business.

Perroni said this afternoon "The added info from today is that an announcement is likely to come mid-afternoon. I believe he is going to announce through Twitter."

Then added an hour ago: "Update: Nothing new regarding his actual decision, but the timeline could be pushed back. Broughton had been planning to announce at about 3 p.m. However, he says he hasn't gotten the finished video yet. Whenever he does, he plans to tweet it - whether it be tonight or tomorrow or whenever."

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Didn't Roach explicitly say the video was done?

Yeah. He updated at 4 PM with "UPDATE: I spoke to someone who told me the video hasn’t been sent to Broughton yet. Once he gets it he will drop the news."