Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

One thing Fillinger will have to work on is consistently using his good length to keep OL at bay.  There are several highlights in that clip where he lets the OL get into his pads before pressing them off.  That's all well and good when you're massively stronger and bigger than everyone else, but it doesn't translate to the next level.

But compare this clip, where he lets an OL get all the way into his chest:

_-LTb1.gif

With this clip, where he keeps his arms fully extended, then rips past the OL (and enjoy the hell out of seeing the OL get shucked to the ground):

q_7sv-.gif

There's a caveat here that this is a common problem among high school D-lineman, so this isn't a huge concern with Fillinger.  Some coaches/evaluators describe it as DL who "catch" the OL before making a move, which is what Fillinger does sometimes.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

One thing Fillinger will have to work on is consistently using his good length to keep OL at bay.  There are several highlights in that clip where he lets the OL get into his pads before pressing them off.  That's all well and good when you're massively stronger and bigger than everyone else, but it doesn't translate to the next level.

But compare this clip, where he lets an OL get all the way into his chest:

_-LTb1.gif

With this clip, where he keeps his arms fully extended, then rips past the OL (and enjoy the hell out of seeing the OL get shucked to the ground):

q_7sv-.gif

There's a caveat here that this is a common problem among high school D-lineman, so this isn't a huge concern with Fillinger.  Some coaches/evaluators describe it as DL who "catch" the OL before making a move, which is what Fillinger does sometimes.

The biggest different I noticed was the OL who got under his pads was a lot shorter than the one who didn't. When you're as tall as Fillinger and playing HS football, it can be an issue getting position when you're playing significantly shorter linemen who also do a good job of staying low themselves (both offensively and defensively).

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

The biggest different I noticed was the OL who got under his pads was a lot shorter than the one who didn't. When you're as tall as Fillinger and playing HS football, it can be an issue getting position when you're playing significantly shorter linemen who also do a good job of staying low themselves (both offensively and defensively).

Maybe.  Although I can't tell much height difference between the dude in clip 1 vs. the dude in clip 2.

One thing that I'll throw out is that in the second clip, Fillinger has an assignment--he's run a "TE" stunt with DE lined up outside him.  Because of that, he knows his first move is a press, and his second move is to disengage and loop outside the end, who is crashing inside the tackle.  I could hypothesize from the highlight video that Fillinger is really good when he has a specific job/stunt to perform.  In times that he's asked to read and react, he is a step slower to respond, losing the benefit of his length.

Examples:

On the first clip, there's no stunt or assignment--he appears to just have B gap responsibility and, once he sees pass, he begins to pass rush.  In the time he uses to react to the play, though, he stands up and runs into the guard, who he then has to press back off of himself as he makes a pass rush move.

_-LTb1.gif

The second clip is the TE stunt.  He knows exactly what to do, and he executes it violently:

q_7sv-.gif

Here's some other plays from his highlights where he clearly has a rushing assignment--to show how well he plays when

Here's him running the T portion of an NT twist.  Watch how well he uses his hands here to ward off OL who try to lay a hand on him:

-hX87C.gif

Here, he's running a pretty simple "Blood" stunt from the B gap into the A gap.  Look at how well he uses his hands here (although his pad level leaves something to be desired as he's splitting the Center/Guard):

Gt2Wp_.gif

And here are two other plays where has no obvious assignment other than to play the B-gap:

This one is against the same guy as the TE stunt.  It's quintessential high school talent domination, where he runs up on the kid and presses him back.

XLeADH.gif

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 8

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Maybe.  Although I can't tell much height difference between the dude in clip 1 vs. the dude in clip 2.

One thing that I'll throw out is that in the second clip, Fillinger has an assignment--he's run a "TE" stunt with DE lined up outside him.  Because of that, he knows his first move is a press, and his second move is to disengage and loop outside the end, who is crashing inside the tackle.  I could hypothesize from the highlight video that Fillinger is really good when he has a specific job/stunt to perform.  In times that he's asked to read and react, he is a step slower to respond, losing the benefit of his length.

Examples:

On the first clip, there's no stunt or assignment--he appears to just have B gap responsibility and, once he sees pass, he begins to pass rush.  In the time he uses to react to the play, though, he stands up and runs into the guard, who he then has to press back off of himself as he makes a pass rush move.

_-LTb1.gif

The second clip is the TE stunt.  He knows exactly what to do, and he executes it violently:

q_7sv-.gif

Here's some other plays from his highlights where he clearly has a rushing assignment--to show how well he plays when

Here's him running the T portion of an NT twist.  Watch how well he uses his hands here to ward off OL who try to lay a hand on him:

-hX87C.gif

Here, he's running a pretty simple "Blood" stunt from the B gap into the A gap.  Look at how well he uses his hands here (although his pad level leaves something to be desired as he's splitting the Center/Guard):

Gt2Wp_.gif

And here are two other plays where has no obvious assignment other than to play the B-gap:

This one is against the same guy as the TE stunt.  It's quintessential high school talent domination, where he runs up on the kid and presses him back.

XLeADH.gif

Yah, not really making excuses for him, just know that's the case with a lot of film you watch of HS kids. Both that guard and center seem in that 5'11 to 6' range, plus he was passed off pretty well by them, never had a chance to get low when he tries to rush right. But eh, doesn't matter. He'll still need to work on it regardless 

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

uses his leverage to fight back outside to bust through a stop inside zone.

He does a great job disengaging and if he has a natural feel for that skill, pad level and extension can be taught. I mean...he's a monster.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, not really making excuses for him, just know that's the case with a lot of film you watch of HS kids. Both that guard and center seem in that 5'11 to 6' range, plus he was passed off pretty well by them, never had a chance to get low when he tries to rush right. But eh, doesn't matter. He'll still need to work on it regardless 

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He does a great job disengaging and if he has a natural feel for that skill, pad level and extension can be taught. I mean...he's a monster.

Don't want any of my comments to come across as putting Fillinger down or saying that I don't think he's a good prospect.  I'm super excited about him.  With his size and aggression, I think he's going to be what everyone thought Fitzgerald could turn into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Love the effort and intensity he plays with. He’s the perfect 4th DL take. High floor with a great work ethic and motor. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s gonna work his ass of his entire time at UT.

57 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

While true, that’s why he needs to work on his hand usage, instead of running into the body of the OL. If he engages with his hands, he can completely control the OL and there’s nothing the shorter OL can do about it. Like others have said, that’s technical stuff most HS DL don’t have down and he can easily learn that stuff once he gets to campus. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Love the way he plays. I doubt he’ll ever be an all conference level player, but he’s always going to be good in the run game and can probably get his sack numbers up to 6 or so with his high motor. 

• Like 1

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Don't want any of my comments to come across as putting Fillinger down or saying that I don't think he's a good prospect.

Wasn't thinking that at all, my man, just offering a different perspective, and I could be wrong. Most of these kids need work, wouldn't expect any different from Fillinger. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Love the way he plays. I doubt he’ll ever be an all conference level player

Fillinger, more than any currently committed 3*, deserves a 4th star IMO. He's already strong with plenty of room to add weight, has a very high motor, exhibits good football instincts that will improve as his technique improves, and his production is already where it should be for a guy playing inferior competition. Regardless of the 4th star, he reached out to the staff because he wants to be at Texas. Perhaps these are orange colored classes, but for me his floor is starting his 4/5th year and his ceiling is Robison. 

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fillinger, more than any currently committed 3*, deserves a 4th star IMO. He's already strong with plenty of room to add weight, has a very high motor, exhibits good football instincts that will improve as his technique improves, and his production is already where it should be for a guy playing inferior competition. Regardless of the 4th star, he reached out to the staff because he wants to be at Texas. Perhaps these are orange colored classes, but for me his floor is starting his 4/5th year and his ceiling is Robison. 

Yeah, I’d have him at a low 4 star and agree on that outlook for his college career.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

a) Is Draper next to a poorly-insulated CDC lab or something?

b) Playing with strep seems... unwise? I like the toughness of course.

Amoxicillin or ZPack would have probably gotten rid of both infections. They probably thought the ear infection was outer ear and gave him drops instead of an oral antibiotic.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Amoxicillin or ZPack would have probably gotten rid of both infections. They probably thought the ear infection was outer ear and gave him drops instead of an oral antibiotic.

Definitely.  I'm not a doctor.  But your mom, speaking from experience, much prefers oral.  

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

No (major) offense, but you have absolutely no idea how he was diagnosed and treated, nor what the outcome was. I know that mindless speculation is part of being on Surly, but from a medical perspective your post was less than worthless.

billymadisonmaygodhavemercy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

No (major) offense, but you have absolutely no idea how he was diagnosed and treated, nor what the outcome was. I know that mindless speculation is part of being on Surly, but from a medical perspective your post was less than worthless.

billymadisonmaygodhavemercy.gif

Strep throat is caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. The most common cause of otitis media is Streptococcus pneumoniae. The same antibiotic should take care of both infections. Shit, if he had sinusitis or a fucking tooth abscess, he would take the same antibiotics. So, if he had otitis media first, I would assume he didn't get antibiotics to treat it. Because, he would never have gotten strep throat a week later if he was on antibiotics.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Strep throat is caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. The most common cause of otitis media is Streptococcus pneumoniae. The same antibiotic should take care of both infections. Shit, if he had sinusitis or a fucking tooth abscess, he would take the same antibiotics. So, if he had otitis media first, I would assume he didn't get antibiotics to treat it. Because, he would never have gotten strep throat a week later if he was on antibiotics.

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is actually correct. Guessing you’re in a holiday inn.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just what is your medical background? I’m actually curious. Two pages back you seem to be an expert on MR scanners in PNG and here you seem to be a board-certified ENT.