Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

How long have you been around. Aggy says they kicked ass when they win a recruiting battle and they state they did not really want the person when they lose the battle. Hell they just hit the Aggy standard quotes short cut button when it happens on their keyboard.

Did you miss their collective pants pissing when we stole Alford from them?

The amusing part is he’s like the seventh best safety we’ve landed in the last three classes 

6 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Probably around the same time you stumble into some adjectival originality, you pedant.

ctj loves to play the hits.  he also piggybacks on my talent evaluations because he has no real insight or connections and knows everyone here will buy his bullshit. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As a sidenote, they’ve got a kind of moneyball thing going on with McKnight and certain physical metrics. Wingspan is one of them. They think other physical traits are being overrated and therefore some guys are being overranked and overrecruited as a result. Pure 40 speed alone will not get you recruited to Texas with this staff.

This has been a thing in the NFL for the last decade or so. Seattle only taking DBs with certain wingspan, New England only taking guys with certain shuttles at certain positions. Various teams taking QBs odd their boards without big enough hands. Etc. 

College has been late to adopt. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

This has been a thing in the NFL for the last decade or so. Seattle only taking DBs with certain wingspan, New England only taking guys with certain shuttles at certain positions. Various teams taking QBs odd their boards without big enough hands. Etc. 

College has been late to adopt. 

I also think the wingspan element is what drew Seattle to Poona Ford. 

In looking at the rankings, it’s surprising how high the player average is for Texas, simply because they’re passing on some guys that are definitely ranked higher than other guys they’re taking. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They like the Eaton dude as a raw materials guy that they can mold into excellence. Guys coming out of places like Aldine MacArthur and Houston Heights aren’t maxed out like guys coming out of Katy High or Lake Travis might be. It’s like finding raw guys out of Louisiana or Florida and coaching them up. 

Eaton has a big wing span and they like his physical numbers. As a wild card, great. I’d rather have lottery tickets like him than Brock Fitzhenry or Dustin Miksch as the 23-25 players in a class. 

That considered, I think our expectations on this board, at least, are properly tempered. If he turns into a starting CB, that’s the balls. If not, he can absolutely contribute on special teams athletically.

As a sidenote, they’ve got a kind of moneyball thing going on with McKnight and certain physical metrics. Wingspan is one of them. They think other physical traits are being overrated and therefore some guys are being overranked and overrecruited as a result. Pure 40 speed alone will not get you recruited to Texas with this staff.

Fuck you for making me remember that Dustin Miksch exists.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Why would he admit that?

This isn't unusual - Texas/Herman do that with players all the time.  We talk about 'keeping player X warm' all the time on this site.  

A&M was trying to keep Eaton as a backup option - but Texas decided he was good enough to take right now.  Given their track records - I'm betting Herman got this one right.

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

ExcitableImperturbableAuklet-size_restri

Two #33251 posts on page 666……hmmmmm

now 3 counting this one

Edited by Wishbone

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The idea that aggy would say 'no thanks' to any CB with a pulse is less believable than anything in the Weekly World News.

60c764dda67dade1ee4c56924bfcdbff--world-

That's a nice lead story, but it lacks the panache of "The Amazing Race of Mole People Living in the Sewers of Mexico City."   I wish WWN was still in publication.

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Gonna need a .97+ player (JSN or higher) to offset Ty Jordan.  If class average is your metric

I think he'll be a top 250ish player when its all said and done. He's got higher upside than a lot of the RBs ranked ahead of him like EJ Smith Devon Achane etc

Edited by RedSox4life

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The idea that aggy would say 'no thanks' to any CB with a pulse is less believable than anything in the Weekly World News.

60c764dda67dade1ee4c56924bfcdbff--world-

x

x

x

1, not sure about the really small ones (but probably would)

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

DB - 3:00, 6:40
WR - 4:00
Bonus: LVBS v XA - 5:00 & 6:06

Eaton looked okay, Alford looked better.  LBS has flypaper hands.  Let's get Grimes' cousin in the 2021 fold because Grimes looked great.  Would love to flip Washington and Ringo, not surprising how good they looked.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

They like the Eaton dude as a raw materials guy that they can mold into excellence. Guys coming out of places like Aldine MacArthur and Houston Heights aren’t maxed out like guys coming out of Katy High or Lake Travis might be. It’s like finding raw guys out of Louisiana or Florida and coaching them up. 

Eaton has a big wing span and they like his physical numbers. As a wild card, great. I’d rather have lottery tickets like him than Brock Fitzhenry or Dustin Miksch as the 23-25 players in a class. 

That considered, I think our expectations on this board, at least, are properly tempered. If he turns into a starting CB, that’s the balls. If not, he can absolutely contribute on special teams athletically.

This  lines up with some of my thoughts about Caldwell and Watson from last year.  They both have good frames and what looks like arms down to their knees.

39 minutes ago, RedSox4life said:

I think he'll be a top 250ish player when its all said and done. He's got higher upside than a lot of the RBs ranked ahead of him like EJ Smith Devon Achane etc

Well I don't see the ranking services getting past the 5'7"... A good season sees him getting a courtesy bump to .89 or maybe .90... I mean I'll take it.  Ending with a .93 average will still require a few more .95+ commits though 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

I appreciate that whenever TFB makes the videos, they are usually 1) high-quality and 2) posted on time.

Right.  If I had an atomic clock for a heart I would care about being on time as well.   I personally suck at being on time for anything.  

A&M did pass on him. A&M passing on him and Texas deciding that they’d take him is right around when things started changing on the Alford front 

Aggy can’t afford to take him. They need early production from every corner take. Not being consistent depth as a freshman corner would label Eaton a bust in CS. In Austin, he’s a high ceiling prospect with time to fill out and learn - a luxury take.

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Eaton looked okay, Alford looked better.  LBS has flypaper hands.  Let's get Grimes' cousin in the 2021 fold because Grimes looked great.  Would love to flip Washington and Ringo, not surprising how good they looked.

Who is Grimes Cousin?