Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s a CB, all the way. No school is considering him as anything else. 

He’ll either pan out at CB or transfer. 

For some reason, there was chatter here the past two weeks about him (a) not being a CB or (b) being a WR prospect. I'm not sure where that came from, but I agree that he's a CB all the way.

4 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

For some reason, there was chatter here the past two weeks about him (a) not being a CB or (b) being a WR prospect. I'm not sure where that came from, but I agree that he's a CB all the way.

I think it was mainly @Fudsaying he plays like a WR right now and needs to add physicality to be a DB. Idk that anyone has actually said he could play WR at UT if CB doesn’t work out, but maybe I missed that.

I don’t see a whole lot of potential at WR, especially when you consider the quality of guys we’ve been bringing in at that position. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think it was mainly @Fudsaying he plays like a WR right now and needs to add physicality to be a DB. Idk that anyone has actually said he could play WR at UT if CB doesn’t work out, but maybe I missed that.

I don’t see a whole lot of potential at WR, especially when you consider the quality of guys we’ve been bringing in at that position. 

He repped some at WR at the Rivals 5 star camp.  That's likely the reason for the speculation, but CB looks like his best fit 

Just now, Bear19 said:

Jimbo would have taken Eaton in a heartbeat. They did not invite him to campus to pull his offer. They invited him to pressure him into committing. He did not. So who walked away from whom?

All he said was "there will be some talk about aggy not taking him." And there will be. That's what they say nearly 100% of the time they lose a recruit to us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Jimbo would have taken Eaton in a heartbeat. They did not invite him to campus to pull his offer. They invited him to pressure him into committing. He did not. So who walked away from whom?

He could probably start for them right now.

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

DB - 3:00, 6:40
WR - 4:00
Bonus: LVBS v XA - 5:00 & 6:06

I liked (shudder) Mookie Cooper in his highlights. JSN had way too much wasted motion whether or not he was being pressed. LVBS was pretty good but he would make a lot of fakes 5 yards downfield when the DB was 10 yards off of him. That isn't very useful at all. I thought XA looked pretty good. He let himself get beat deep a little by letting players get behind him, but he looks athletic and stayed with his man pretty well.

50 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

A&M did pass on him. A&M passing on him and Texas deciding that they’d take him is right around when things started changing on the Alford front 

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The idea that aggy would say 'no thanks' to any CB with a pulse is less believable than anything in the Weekly World News.

60c764dda67dade1ee4c56924bfcdbff--world-

They have two corners committed (they think Jones is a corner) and are saving a third spot for manning. This isn’t new or secret 

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

A&M did pass on him. A&M passing on him and Texas deciding that they’d take him is right around when things started changing on the Alford front 

May be true about Alford. But you’ll never get me to believe they invited him to campus to tell them they had pulled his offer.

Just now, Bear19 said:

May be true about Alford. But you’ll never get me to believe they invited him to campus to tell them they had pulled his offer.

They didn’t “pull his offer”. They wanted to keep him warm but didn’t want to take his commitment yet, and he wanted to commit before the season started. They told him something about holding off and taking his time when he tried to commit

• Like 2

We have several Louisiana DL on the roster who LSU passed on. OU beat Mack’s ass for years with Texas kids Texas passed on. It’s not a big deal. 

I trust Herman’s staff over Jimbo’s at evaluating the fringe takes 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

They didn’t “pull his offer”. They wanted to keep him warm but didn’t want to take his commitment yet, and he wanted to commit before the season started. They told him something about holding off and taking his time when he tried to commit

Has Eaton said that? If so I certainly missed it.

7 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Why would he admit that?

This isn't unusual - Texas/Herman do that with players all the time.  We talk about 'keeping player X warm' all the time on this site.  

A&M was trying to keep Eaton as a backup option - but Texas decided he was good enough to take right now.  Given their track records - I'm betting Herman got this one right.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
In on 666

2 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

How long have you been around. Aggy says they kicked ass when they win a recruiting battle and they state they did not really want the person when they lose the battle. Hell they just hit the Aggy standard quotes short cut button when it happens on their keyboard.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

People, don't go full TexAgs. A&M passed on Eaton. Whether or not that was a good decision by Jimbo is another discussion.

Coach Mo is indeed the gift that keeps on giving. I hope he stays in aggyland for years. I have no trouble believing that they were slow-playing Eaton for Manning. That seems perfectly inline with their recent targets/takes and their evals. 

CB class of Jones, Moten, and Manning. Delightful. 1 FS that can't change direction and 2 165 pound guys. Got to give Mo credit, he doesn't have a single 6'4" CB in this class. So it appears he learned that lesson. Of course, he just let the pendulum swing all the way over to puny OU-type CBs. I think it's a good choice in the SEC West where there are no big physical WRs and RBs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From my understanding, Texas also initially wasn't pushing.  Eaton was all Texas and then basically was a silent to aggy when we had Kimber, Rogers, Ringo, Crawford all ahead of him.  We landed Crawford but missed on the rest (for now).  I don't think aggy was ready to accept his commitment either.  From what I've read, he's a freaky athlete but has a LONG way to go as far as development.  From the sounds of it, we came down the board and were ready to take his commitment and then started pushing for Alford.  Eaton and Alford took their trips together, train together, and planned on going to the same school together.  Our renewed interest in Eaton opened the door for Alford again.  Aggy thought they could still land Alford while making Eaton wait.  It backfired in that regard.   Also the lack of good 2021 CB prospects outside of the bama commit and Ibraheem probably played a role in this.

With that said... still a head to head win... hah!

Edited by victory88
  • Like 2