Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

33 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

IMG or bust?

If the bust in your scenario is not play a senior year of football and still be one of the most sought after recruits in the nation, then yes it's IMG or bust.  It sucks given that his intentions were likely noble, but this doesn't affect his long term football options one iota. 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I laugh at aggy saying that Q Johnson didn't have any good offers: Oklahoma, TCU, Virginia Tech, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston

Last I checked, every one of those schools with exception of Va Tech knows a thing or two about elite receivers. 

Fuente is now the HC at VaTech.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

North Forest (neighborhood and school) is a shitshow and his home life is apparently not awesome. Kid had good reasons.

CSB

I went to Spring High when the whole region was transitioning from boonies to upper middle class suburbia. It's strange to read that North Forest is a shit show and that my old haunts around Ponderosa Forest and 1960 has changed so much.

When I got my license, you could drive 1960 from Kuykendahl to I-10 in fifteen minutes. There were like two lights, a couple of 4-way stops, and absolute darkness. Good place to be in high school back then.

No ill will towards Demas. A year is an eternity at that age. I hope he stays focused and does well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

CSB

I went to Spring High when the whole region was transitioning from boonies to upper middle class suburbia. It's strange to read that North Forest is a shit show and that my old haunts around Ponderosa Forest and 1960 has changed so much.

When I got my license, you could drive 1960 from Kuykendahl to I-10 in fifteen minutes. There were like two lights, a couple of 4-way stops, and absolute darkness. Good place to be in high school back then.

No ill will towards Demas. A year is an eternity at that age. I hope he stays focused and does well.

wonder if he is an EE? would at least make it go by faster..like you i feel bad for the kid

Just now, Beau Vine said:

can't participate in varsity athletics for a year.  Unless there are sport-specific rules I'm not aware of, he can participate on JV teams.

Correct. As has been pointed out, this is quite common and has nothing to do with tee yew. It often seems unfair. 

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If the bust in your scenario is not play a senior year of football and still be one of the most sought after recruits in the nation, then yes it's IMG or bust.  It sucks given that his intentions were likely noble, but this doesn't affect his long term football options one iota. 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Wasn't implying he was going to bust in college, only whether he could play his senior year.  If he was really transferring to get to a better school and get away from problems in his home this decision really sucks.  Kid has to be crushed right now.  Hopefully he can keep his head on straight and stay in shape.

1) He had to of known this was a very real possibility. It’s absolutely common. 

2) Looking for a better life is admirable.  Sounds like that has happened, with a minimal effect  

3)sucks but this dude has done nothing but shit on UT for the last 12 months in camps, very much affecting our recruiting.  Finding it hard to shed a tear for an aggy that takes every chance to shit on UT. 

Looking foward to his criminal underuse in Ritzbits archaic offense.  

• Like 8

Ethan Pouncey will be at the Florida/Miami game. The rules are similar to Texas/OU where the teams aren't allowed to have contact with recruits at the game.

Edit: I should add that he's going with a contingent of recruits/teammates from his HS.

Edited by Machinator

Roach note on Jordan: "It's been a pretty slow day, so i don't have a ton for Mike at Night. I did see West Mesquite RB Ty Jordan in action today. I spoke to him for a bit after practice, and it sounds like his decision could actually come during the season. Jordan said he's had some thoughts about doing it before the season, but he's not entirely sure on a timeline yet. Ty told me that Tennessee, USC, and Utah are the other schools in the mix for his decision. I still feel good with my Texas crystal ball."

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They forced 25 turnovers in 13 games and you think forcing 1 turnover in a game is an outlier? That's not how this works. Then you combine that with the fact that they recovered 8 out of 10 opponent fumbles (instead of the expected 5) and you have a team that forced 22 "expected" turnovers in 13 games.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree that 1 turnover is an outlier for a team that expects to force 1.7 turnovers per game.

Also, since it's pertinent, Texas forced 20 turnovers in 14 games, but only recovered 8 out of 23 opponent fumbles. So our expected turnovers were actually 23.5 turnovers in 14 games, which works out to (you guessed it) 1.7 expected turnovers per game.

Explain it to me like I'm five.

• Like 2

Ethan Pouncey will be at the Florida/Miami game. The rules are similar to Texas/OU where the teams aren't allowed to have contact with recruits at the game.
Edit: I should add that he's going with a contingent of recruits/teammates from his HS.

That’ll be 15 mins from his house and Orlando is a pretty big Gator/Canes town so I’d go to that game if I was him too
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kicking around London for a few days and now caught up on over 400 posts while on a train (Surly first class cabin of course) for a few hours. Some good tidbits and above average entertainment. Advantage aggy.

Piccadilly line?