Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We will have to score 50+ in 2 weeks against OK State.

Hopefully see atleast some minor improvements in the secondary over the next 2 weeks but I’d be willing to bet anything that LSU O is much better than Ok State O and any O we will see the rest of the year. 

24 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Good game.  LSU was better and more experienced.

Our young secondary will improve.  Thrilled with what we were able to do offensively, LSU should be the best defense we play all year by a wide margin.  Secondary will grow up.

Exactly, the offense we trotted out tonight plus week to week improvement from the defense and hopefully more health + steadier play from the running game we should be able to win every remaining game on the schedule, not saying we will but outside of OU we should be favored in all our remaining games. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

LSU is good. So is Texas. Difference was a couple of stops and drops.

Yep. That and a few poor coaching decisions on our part. I think our margin for error was a little smaller than LSU’s and we wasted more than our margin by the end of the first half, unfortunately. A little bit better execution and we could’ve won, but this will happen. 

I still see a lot of progress happening in this program.

• Like 4

Mike Roach: Recruit Reactions to Texas-LSU game

Texas lost a tough matchup to LSU on Saturday night in DKR. Though they came up short, the environment was high-energy for the recruits in attendance. So what did they think about the visit? Horns247 has you covered.

QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins - "It was a great experience. The atmosphere was electric. Texas wasn’t able to pull out the victory, but they showed a lot of fight."

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview — “We were in there. We just have to capitalize.”

TE Donovan Green, Dickinson (2022) – “The experience was amazing, and the fans were into the game the whole time. UT is a great school.”

ATH Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan – “It was very fun. Great atmosphere and great people. It still feels like home.”

S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin – “There was a lot to learn from.”

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor - "The loss of course hurts but the offensive line played amazing tonight. I think UT proved that they are tough enough to go toe to toe with the SEC or any other team."

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints – “I thought it was a great visit. You can’t win them all, but I’m excited to see how they will bounce back.”

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis – “I thought that both teams played well, but it came down to some no-calls and not executing as well as we would have liked to in the red zone at the beginning of the game. It was a tough loss, but I know that they will learn from it.”

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (2022) – “I loved the hospitality from the coaches and staff as usual, the crowd’s energy was super lit. I’ll definitely be back soon. Wish they could have pulled off the win, but it was still a great time.”

WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Hightower - "It was a great atmosphere with great people. Texas played hard and fought til the end."

LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney - "It was a great experience, but I wish we would have came out with a win."

DE Ethan Downs, Weatherford (Okla.) - "That atmosphere was amazing! The fact that the longhorns never quit and it was a dogfight till the end kept the place electrified the entire time! Great job by both teams. I was impressed."

DL Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove - "I thought they played really good and the fan base was awesome tonight."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Yes. Just like it was last year against Clemson for aggy.

Don’t be a pussy. The LSU team that showed up tonight can beat anyone in the country and were just flat-out better than us. Doesn’t mean we, and recruits (recruiting forum), can’t find hope in the fact that this game is a building block. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Don’t be a pussy. The LSU team that showed up tonight can beat anyone in the country and were just flat-out better than us. Doesn’t mean we, and recruits (recruiting forum), can’t find hope in the fact that this game is a building block. 

He’s not. aggy’s game against Clemson last year was a big recruiting win for them. They even got a 5 star to commit out of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The best teams can pressure QB's without blitzing a lot.  Texas hopefully gets Collins...

https://247sports.com/Player/Alfred-Collins-46047351/

Yeah the 2020 DL class should go a long way in helping that. Our mediocre DL recruiting has caught up to us, at least in terms of pass rush. They’re pretty solid in run D tho.

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Ringo would start here from Day 1.  Just saying.

Yep. I was coming here to point this out. Ringo is now the single most important recruit in the entire 2020 cycle for Texas. You have to get great CBs to play in Orlando's system. They had one at UH that was drafted in the 1st round. He doesn't have them at Texas so far, or Washington isn't turning them into good enough.

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Yeah the 2020 DL class should go a long way in helping that. Our mediocre DL recruiting has caught up to us, at least in terms of pass rush. They’re pretty solid in run D tho.

The thing you have to realize, Orlando's scheme is not going to get guady sack stats from the DL, they are coming from the B and DB's. I do think Orlando needs to come up with some even fronts, especially on 3rd and 17 when you can run a 4-1-6 and not have to send 4 blitzers.

29 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

lsu had 13 players "cramping up" during the game. That should tell the recruits about their conditioning and work ethic alone.

Or tell the recruits that they're okay with faking cramps. Like come on, no one on LSU's offense cramped up? Or either side of the ball on Texas? It gets a little fishy when one guy goes down and he's back in one play later. Or when two go down, but one guy sees that someone else is already "cramping up" so he gets right up and he's just fine.

50 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Shit has been going on for years. Fix the rules already

What do you propose?  NCAA isn't going to do anything that gives the appearance of jeopardizing player safety.  It sucks to be sure, just don't know what you can do.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

2 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

What do you propose?  NCAA isn't going to do anything that gives the appearance of jeopardizing player safety.  It sucks to be sure, just don't know what you can do.

you answered your own question.  letting possibly injured players return to the field so soon puts them in unnecessary danger.  need to evaluate them for at least a series, possibly a quarter. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

If you go out for an injury that causes an injury timeout, you cannot come back in until the next series.

Plenty of time to evaluate the player and ample time to rehydrate so the player doesn’t feel forced to go back into the game.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. I was coming here to point this out. Ringo is now the single most important recruit in the entire 2020 cycle for Texas. You have to get great CBs to play in Orlando's system. They had one at UH that was drafted in the 1st round. He doesn't have them at Texas so far, or Washington isn't turning them into good enough.

This is a question of mine. He's great at recruiting, but how good is he really at developing? Not saying he isn't, but I am a little skeptical. Stingley was pretty good last night and a true freshman. Really wish they'd put Jamison back on defense early to mid-last season. It was clear he wasn't making an impact on the offense and he lost all that development time.

15 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

This is a question of mine. He's great at recruiting, but how good is he really at developing? Not saying he isn't, but I am a little skeptical. Stingley was pretty good last night and a true freshman. Really wish they'd put Jamison back on defense early to mid-last season. It was clear he wasn't making an impact on the offense and he lost all that development time.

Maybe we should give these kids more than a couple of games before we start questioning development. Maybe sometimes we should just tip our hat top the other team..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Maybe we should give these kids more than a couple of games before we start questioning development. Maybe sometimes we should just tip our hat top the other team..

Lol. “These kids” have been in the program 2-3 years and all played more than “a couple of games.” 

It’s a fair question at this point, but I’d say it’s unclear so far.

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol. “These kids” have been in the program 2-3 years and all played more than “a couple of games.” 

It’s a fair question at this point, but I’d say it’s unclear so far.

Who are you talking about?  Green , Sterns, Cook, Jamison have all been here less than two years. Jamison was in the offensive meeting rooms last year. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Who are you talking about?  Green , Sterns, Cook, Jamison have all been here less than two years. Jamison was in the offensive meeting rooms last year. 

Those guys are all second or third year players. Sterns is a safety, so Washington doesn't even coach him. Wahsington has now had two full offseasons with Cook and Boyce. Boyce is still terrible and Cook appears to have regressed based on every report and his losing the competition with Boyce. Green is a great athlete, but his technique in coverage and tackling is still poor. He was a QB in HS, so he gets a bit of a pass, but still not where you would hope.

Those guys are all young, so it's too early to make any definitive conclusions, but you'd like to have seen more development at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

This is a question of mine. He's great at recruiting, but how good is he really at developing? Not saying he isn't, but I am a little skeptical. Stingley was pretty good last night and a true freshman. 

Yes, those LSU coaches must be really good at “developing”. I know, let’s just recruit a bunch of kids who are in the Top 3 in the entire nation and see if we can develop them like Stingley.  I am not saying that Washington can do this, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1