Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Interesting...so you think he'd be better for offense? That would be ideal b/c we have some options at b-backer in '21. 

For Texas specifically, that's where I like him. On the DL, I think we'll recruit better ahead, during, and behind him, and I'm not sold on him at b-backer where he might get too big, and where we might have better guys for anyone; his upside there is something like Roach, while we're recruiting Bama odd defensive front types. On offense, I think he can be something like a rich man's Caleb Bluiett. Of course, we already have two TE types committed in the class, although Davis could potentially be an Epps outside WR type, a LJH big slot, or even play defense. 

He's only just starting his junior season and his body could still take different paths, so I reserve the right to change my mind with more data 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Are we talking Rover, then?

I guess I've never mentioned it, but I don't give much of a fuck about the naming conventions this staff uses for defensive roles. I have too much shit I'm trying to keep up with and that doesn't make the important list. I can't tell you if it is a rover or not.

They use one LB in this multiple defensive base 3-4 as mostly a pass rusher, they have a pure MLB function, a hybrid SAM-type function, and then a guy they use to impact slot while still enforcing run stops on the outside. That's what I frequently see, at least. Sometimes several of those roles get meshed into DB responsibilities. Brown, Thompson, Overshown, and Foster all show up in some capacity taking on traditional LB responsibilities at times. They like Hullaby to satisfy some the same in a purer OLB sense. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

For Texas specifically, that's where I like him. On the DL, I think we'll recruit better ahead, during, and behind him, and I'm not sold on him at b-backer where he might get too big, and where we might have better guys for anyone; his upside there is something like Roach, while we're recruiting Bama odd defensive front types. On offense, I think he can be something like a rich man's Caleb Bluiett. Of course, we already have two TE types committed in the class, although Davis could potentially be an Epps outside WR type, a LJH big slot, or even play defense. 

He's only just starting his junior season and his body could still take different paths, so I reserve the right to change my mind with more data 

If we're being honest, he'd probably be a better fit in a 4-3 defense. I'm surprised A&M isn't more in it especially now that Daeshon Hall showed out in the preseason. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I've never mentioned it, but I don't give much of a fuck about the naming conventions this staff uses for defensive roles. I have too much shit I'm trying to keep up with and that doesn't make the important list. I can't tell you if it is a rover or not.

They use one LB in this multiple defensive base 3-4 as mostly a pass rusher, they have a pure MLB function, a hybrid SAM-type function, and then a guy they use to impact slot while still enforcing run stops on the outside. That's what I frequently see, at least. Sometimes several of those roles get meshed into DB responsibilities. Brown, Thompson, Overshown, and Foster all show up in some capacity taking on traditional LB responsibilities at times. They like Hullaby to satisfy some the same in a purer OLB sense. 

Got it. The OLB but not B-backer just threw me off. I consider Mac and Rover as ILBs but some consider Rover to be OLB, so I wasn’t sure. I think Orlando calls the position you’re referring to the F-Backer, but I had forgotten all about it because Orlando’s almost never used it at Texas. 

I’m all for Hullaby to LB. I think he has the frame and athleticism for it.

if he does go to LB, then we don’t have a TE for 2020 and with Wiley’s position being up in the air, I wonder if they’ll look for a JUCO or late riser at TE.

2 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I'm surprised A&M isn't more in it especially now that Daeshon Hall showed out in the preseason. 

Lulz. As if Hall’s play in the preseason will have any sway whatsoever on Sanders.

aggy probably isn’t as high on him because they want DEs to be 285+ and Sanders doesn’t profile to that size.

Mike Roach: Recruiting battles that shaped the Texas-LSU game

The matchup between Texas and LSU will have the attention of the entire country on Saturday night. Aside from it being a marquee matchup between two prestigious programs, it could also be an important battlefield in the ongoing war of recruiting between bordering states. LSU frequently dips into Texas for recruiting purposes. Likewise, the Longhorns have found success in Louisiana over the past few years.

When both teams take the field on Saturday, the opposing coaches will be game-planning against players they once envisioned on their own rosters. Caden Sterns was once Ed Orgeron’s first commit, while K'Lavon Chaisson was thought to be headed for Austin for the majority of his recruitment and would’ve been the first five-star prospect to commit to Tom Herman at Texas. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college football program and both teams are in constant competition for the top recruits in the region. With a star-studded list of underclassmen recruits headed to Austin to take in the game, both teams will have the opportunity to showcase their programs and land a victory in the ongoing war for high school prospects.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at what might have been if some of these recruitments went the other way.

Caden Sterns, Safety, Texas

Caden Sterns was actually the first prospect to verbally commit to Ed Orgeron once he was named the LSU coach. After committing, Sterns was fairly quiet until he made a surprise visit to Austin. Opting to stay closer to home, Sterns flipped his commitment to the Longhorns. After a stellar freshman season, Sterns entered his sophomore campaign with high expectations. LSU is fairly loaded in the secondary, but Sterns playing next to Grant Delpit would make for a frightening combination of ballhawks on the back end.

K’Lavon Chaisson, Outside Linebacker, LSU

K'Lavon Chaisson was a priority for Tom Herman and his staff during the transition class immediately following his hire. Even after Charlie Strong was fired, all signs pointed to Chaisson ending up in Austin. Despite telling several Texas commits he’d be a Longhorn just days before National Signing Day in 2017, the elite edge prospect chose LSU. He would have been a perfect fit in Todd Orlando’s defense at the B-backer position and Texas later found a similar type of prospect in Joseph Ossai. Still, adding Chaisson to this defense would allow them to be even more multiple and athletic than they already are.

Malcolm Roach, Defensive End, Texas

It’s not often that Texas is able to land a prospect from Baton Rouge and when they do it’s usually because LSU didn’t offer. When Texas landed Malcolm Roach, they were able to find a gem on the defensive side of the ball with tremendous versatility. LSU certainly has enough talent on the defensive line, but Roach would be another weapon to deploy in their odd front. So often, we hear the narrative about athletes with extra motivation playing against Texas because the Longhorns didn’t recruit them. This week, Texas will be on the opposite end of that narrative.

Derek Stingley, Cornerback, LSU

Derek Stingley was never really going anywhere other than LSU, but Texas was able to host him for an official and finished in his top three for all intents and purposes. One of the best cornerbacks to come out of high school over the last decade, Stingley enrolled early and wasted no time earning a starting spot in Baton Rouge. If Texas were able to win him over, they’d be playing him opposite of Jalen Green. The second cornerback position is probably the biggest question mark on the Texas defense and a duo of Green and Stingley would be about as dangerous as any combination in the country.

Jalen Green, Cornerback, Texas

For a period of time, LSU was the leader for Jalen Green. If they were able to win him, Texas would be without their high-ceiling corner going into this game. LSU holds the advantage at cornerback in this matchup, and Green would be a bigger loss for Texas than a gain for LSU. With Texas set to face a wide-open spread attack this Saturday, Green will be relied upon to be a huge part of stifling their attack.

Damone Clark, Inside Linebacker, LSU

Damone Clark actually came close to flipping his commitment to Texas before National Signing Day, but he ultimately chose to stay home with the Tigers. Clark impressed early in camp, and he’s on the two-deep at linebacker. Texas has numbers at the linebacker position, but they lack a player like Clark with the size to play the run and the athleticism to stick on the field in the Big 12. In what was a fairly wide-open race this spring and summer, Clark could have factored in for early playing time.

Keaontay Ingram, Running Back, Texas

LSU made a push for Keaontay Ingram and his ability to be a high-volume workhorse back would fit well in the SEC. Fortunately for the Longhorns, they won out with Ingram and he’s one of the most important players for Texas offensively. Ingram would be a factor in LSU’s young running back depth chart, but like Jalen Green, his absence would have created a large deficit for the Longhorns if he ended up in Baton Rouge.

Chasen Hines, Offensive Guard, LSU

When Chasen Hines came out of Marshall, all signs pointed to Texas. Hines instead chose LSU, and though he came very close to flipping to Texas in the summer, he ultimately decided to stay with the Tigers. Texas and LSU originally recruited Hines as a defensive tackle, and both decided that he might make a better offensive lineman during his senior season. Hines did a nice job transitioning to the offensive line in college, and he’s making a push for playing time. Texas is breaking in two new guards this season and Hines’ presence would make it possible to redshirt Parker Braun. Hines could also provide a bit more physicality to a line that’s built for speed.

Anthony Cook, CB, Texas

Once Anthony Cook’s recruitment started trending away from Ohio State, LSU emerged as the biggest threat for Texas to land him. Down the stretch in his recruitment, Cook’s official visit to LSU caused some nervous moments for the Longhorns. Cook is part of the position battle at the second cornerback position, and he’s probably the best bet if he can find the form he played with last season. Cook will have the opportunity to lock down the second cornerback position on Saturday.

Tyrion Davis-Price, Running Back, LSU

Tyrion Davis-Price visited Austin as a committed prospect during the spring and his presence would be welcomed at Texas this week with razor-thin depth at the running back position. Davis-Price is the sledgehammer compliment to Keaontay Ingram’s slash and dash style, and Texas would be in a better position from a depth standpoint if they would have flipped him. Davis-Price’s physical style would mesh well with the Longhorns’ desire to wear defenses down with a physical backfield.

Rumors Evans got crosswise with his teammates and coaches after last week’s game and has been suspended. 

It’d probably be better if we stopped perpetuating rumors.

That being said, there’s a story being vetted right now that seems likely to make it to publishing soon. I rarely have a chance to post “insider knowledge”, but I was with him at a mutual acquaintance’s bday dinner tonight... Pretty respectable source (national recruiter/writer) writing about a recruit with a... let’s say “bestialital” past that happens to be a silent to Aggy. Lot more to the story, but I’m too drunk to taste this chicken. Buckle up!

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That being said, there’s a story being vetted right now that seems likely to make it to publishing soon. I rarely have a chance to post “insider knowledge”, but I was with him at a mutual acquaintance’s bday dinner tonight... Pretty respectable source (national recruiter/writer) writing about a recruit with a... let’s say “bestialital” past that happens to be a silent to Aggy. Lot more to the story, but I’m too drunk to taste this chicken. Buckle up!

How do you vet something that someone would have done as a juvenile?  Anything criminal would be sealed, right?  And anything else would just be heresay. 

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

weak effort

20 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How do you vet something that someone would have done as a juvenile?  Anything criminal would be sealed, right?  And anything else would just be heresay. 

Gave y’all the teaser, but that was my first question too. You’ll hopefully know the answer soon enough. Shockingly that isn’t the weirdest part of the story. 

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Gave y’all the teaser, but that was my first question too. You’ll hopefully know the answer soon enough. Shockingly that isn’t the weirdest part of the story. 

Are you saying a recruit with a history of bestiality isn't the weirdest part of the story you're teasing?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Tell the writer to wait till he commits to aggy before publishing the story

• Like 2

Steve Wiltfong: Biggest recruiting weekend of Tom Herman era at Texas on tap

Texas coach Tom Herman said it was an “excellent, excellent atmosphere inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for Saturday’s season opening win over Louisiana Tech. One could imagine it should be even better for this weekend’s showdown as the ninth-ranked Longhorns welcome in No. 6 LSU.

Herman and his staff are hoping that juice will rub off on the recruiting section for this one as they welcome in what one source says will be the largest recruiting weekend at Texas during the Herman era to date. Every recruit ticket is accounted for. Upwards of 60-plus prospects expected on campus are bonafide offerrable or already holding an offer type kid.

For lack of better words, it’s a huge, huge weekend and a tremendous opportunity for Texas to make another national statement about where the program stands after taking apart Georgia in the Sugar Bowl to cap the 2018 campaign. Many members of the 2020 recruiting class that stands in at No. 6 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings will be back on campus. Running back Ty Jordan is the major uncommitted senior set to attend. “This game has been talked about for a few years now,” Jordan told 247Sports. “A lot at stake. Anxious to see how well they move the ball on offense and how they incorporate the running back outside of running plays.”

With the recruiting cycle pushing decision timelines up to the spring and summer for many of the 2020 prospects, this game is even more about making an impression on the 2021s, 2022s and beyond in the crowd. “I’m very excited to feel the atmosphere on game day,” Bellaire (Texas) Episcopal Academy Top247 offensive lineman Donovan Jackson said.  He will walk on campus as the No. 4 prospect in Texas, the No. 8 offensive tackle in the land and No. 35 prospect overall according to the Top247 Player Rankings. “What excites me about Texas is the strong combination of athletics and education. Having it close to home doesn’t hurt either.

“I’m extremely excited to see all the coaches and just get to spend time with them,” said another Top247 prospect in defensive end Landon Jackson out of Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove, who is the No. 6 player in the state. Other priority 2021s expected include the nation’s No. 1 offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer, the country’s No. 1 running back Camar Wheaton, the No. 3 offensive tackle in the land Savion Byrd and the No. 3 athlete in America Ja'Tavion Sanders who is trending Texas in the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Herman and company will certainly be excited to see the likes of Top247 defensive end Tunmise Adeleye, Top247 receiver JoJo Earle, four-star center James Brockermeyer, Top247 running back LJ Johnson, tight end Var'Keyes Gumms along with several big-time 2022s including cornerback Denver Harris, Top247 offensive tackle Kam Dewberry and Top247 receiver Caleb Burton.

“Looking forward to seeing the atmosphere mostly and the level of play Texas will be at!” James Brockermeyer said. “The new era of Texas is what excites me, and I’m blessed to have the opportunity to go to this game,” Dewberry said. Stay locked to Horns247 and 247Sports for updates postgame regarding the biggest names and their reaction.

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How could that be possible? Back of the crowd guy, I mean @Casual Encounter, said Surly group think had been misled because an unidientified reporter put in a CB for OU. 

I thought you were smarter than that... maybe...

First, I’m not sure how you heard me from way up at the podium. My first sarcastic statement on group think was in regards to Surly not wanting him because we didn’t think he had any Oklahoma offers, which he did.

My second post, which I’m assuming you’re ultimately referring to, was a sarcastic answer of “Yes.” To your question below.

If you’re able to read carefully enough, you’ll notice that answering yes to your question is basically saying I don’t know, since it wasn’t a yes or no question. I’m just assuming you thought I was answering yes to the first part of the question which would explain your dumbass statement above, ignoring that I could have been answering yes to the second part which supported your opinion.

Has there been any report that OU is actually taking Hester, or are we just rampantly speculating off a single crystal ball from an unidentified reporter? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I thought you were smarter than that... maybe...

First, I’m not sure how you heard me from way up at the podium. My first sarcastic statement on group think was in regards to Surly not wanting him because we didn’t think he had any Oklahoma offers, which he did.

My second post, which I’m assuming you’re ultimately referring to, was a sarcastic answer of “Yes.” To your question below.

If you’re able to read carefully enough, you’ll notice that answering yes to your question is basically saying I don’t know, since it wasn’t a yes or no question. I’m just assuming you thought I was answering yes to the first part of the question which would explain your dumbass statement above, ignoring that I could have been answering yes to the second part which supported your opinion.

Has there been any report that OU is actually taking Hester, or are we just rampantly speculating off a single crystal ball from an unidentified reporter? 

This was a much longer response than I expected. I was just making a sarcastic joke the same way you do all the time.

I Don’t have some personal vendetta against you. That’s reserved for @Katfid54. I fucking hate that shitstain of a poster.