Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Stingley enrolled early and participated in their bowl practices last year and was apparently the best CB on the field then, too, so let's not go sucking LSU coaching dick, sith.  

We have 5 stars in our DB room as well but they look lost and soft. 

Josh Thompson is a guy who showed promise as a freshman but hasn't developed much since. 

Jason Washington is a good recruiter but I'm not satisfied with the development of his unit. 

Only Kris Boyd improved under his watch and that was barely discernible. Davis stayed the same, Locke got worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, williemackgarza said:

Only problem is youd think if our guys were elite, just young they woulda came up with even just a few plays/ tips, pbus, ints.. I just havent seen that this year much

All we needed was one fucking stop. Couldn't do shit. Not a player along the entire dline can get a pass rush.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, Rhinotx said:

I can’t imagine my parents letting me get a full sleeve in high school. 

You probably can't imagine it because you probably grew up under vastly different circumstances in regards to your home life than Jerrin

Any more info on all the recruiting visitors at DKR on Saturday??

Hell of a game -- difference in a Texas win or loss:

• dropped TD pass by Ingram 
  • poor Texas offensive possession late 2nd qtr after LSU field goal
  • lack of Texas pass rush
  • bad defensive call by Orlando on 3rd and 17 

The Stampede: Inside scoop from Texas' major recruiting weekend

The Texas staff didn’t get the result they wanted on Saturday, but it sounds like they had a pretty good day on the recruiting front. The Longhorns even walked away with a 2021 commitment from Denton Ryan ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly collection of recruiting intel, we take a look at some of the big recruiting storylines coming out of the weekend.

Horns add to 2021 class

When I went to Denton Ryan for practice a few weeks before the season started, I got a strong impression that Ja'Tavion Sanders was leaning hard to Texas. I returned from that visit and entered a crystal ball pick for Sanders in favor of Texas. Sanders often said that his family grew up rooting for and watching Texas, and his fit as an edge rusher is perfect for the b-backer position.

Add in the fact that his teammate and friend Billy Bowman was already a member of the class along with the fact that Ryan has some pro-Longhorn coaches on staff, including former Texas fullback Alex De La Torre. There were strong impressions given that Sanders was coming to the LSU game with the intention of committing, and we heard early on Saturday that it was done.

As if we needed any further confirmation, the commitment went down at midfield and our own Jeff Howe witnessed it at the time. Sanders is now the highest ranked player in the 2021 Texas class, according to 247Sports Composite. His No. 43 national ranking is almost 30 spots higher than Jalen Milroe, who was previously the top ranked player in the class.

The class itself ranks No. 2 nationally behind Miami (12 commits). The momentum isn’t likely to slow either, but we’ll get to that later on in this article.

New offers

The Longhorns also took advantage of the big game environment to put out a few 2022 offers. Tom Herman started offering prospects on the field before games last year (Logan Parr and Jake Majorswere two prospects who were offered in the same way). The move makes an impression on kids, and it sounds like Saturday night was no different.

TE Donovan Green, Dickinson – The Longhorns pulled the trigger on Green after he blew the competition away at a Texas camp this summer. Green said that the experience was was unforgettable, and he also mentioned that he grew up loving Texas.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain – The Houston-area running back was also offered before the game, and he called the experience “unreal.” Capitalizing on the energy around a big game with an offer typically provides a boost, and Blue said that he was blown away by the experience.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek – Banks called Texas his dream school when he posted the offer, and the 6-foot-4, 285-pound offensive tackle called the atmosphere electric. Banks joins Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry as a priority target for Herb Hand in the ’22 class.

Atmosphere

When hosting a large group of elite recruits, it’s usually optimal if you win. However, if you can’t win, make sure the energy is up and you have a good showing. Despite the defensive struggles for Texas, most of the feedback I got from recruits was extremely positive. One of the bigger themes of that feedback centered around Texas looking like they belonged on the field against the best teams in the country, but the other big theme was the atmosphere.

A high school coach who was at the game called the pre-game energy “nuts.” He also added that despite the heat, the gameday experience and product on the field made it enjoyable. A recruit’s father that I spoke with called the energy “electric” and said that the game “felt more like a bowl game than a non-conference matchup.”

Five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer said that he loved the atmosphere and was glad he could be there to experience the game in person. Four-star 2021 defensive lineman Tunmise Adeleye singled out the student section for keeping the energy high and going nuts the entire game.

What’s next?

— I heard some really positive things around Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson.Coming into the weekend, I had Jackson pegged as a guy who was likely headed out of state. Ohio State and Stanford are the two teams to watch, but I think Texas is squarely in the mix coming out of this weekend. In fact, I think the Longhorns are probably right towards the top with the other two programs I mentioned. This recruitment will likely stretch out for a while, but I like the move that Texas made this weekend.

— I checked in with some sources near West Mesquite running back Ty Jordan. I thought there was a good chance that Jordan might pull the trigger over the weekend, but it didn’t happen. From what I was told, Texas is still the favorite in this one, and Jordan has been more concerned about taking care of some family business than recruiting. He’s slated to return in a few weeks for an official visit, and I think Texas secures him with a good trip.

— I’ve heard that Texas is making some positive progress with 2021 Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson as well. I think it’s still fairly early in this recruitment, but Texas seems to be working its way into a strong position for the four-star runner.

— It sounds like there’s going to be another big visit weekend in two weeks when the Longhorns host Oklahoma State. I’d expect a decent-sized group of recruits on campus mixed in with a few official visits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Any more info on all the recruiting visitors at DKR on Saturday??

Hell of a game -- difference in a Texas win or loss:

• dropped TD pass by Ingram 
  • poor Texas offensive possession late 2nd qtr after LSU field goal
  • lack of Texas pass rush
  • bad defensive call by Orlando on 3rd and 17 

Texas really did more to lose the game, than LSU did to win it. Not to take anything away from Burrow and their WRs, they played at an elite level, but you change a few things on that list and it's a 7 point Texas win.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas really did more to lose the game, than LSU did to win it. Not to take anything away from Burrow and their WRs, they played at an elite level, but you change a few things on that list and it's a 7 point Texas win.

There's a long and sad list of great QB/RB performances our defense has wasted over the decade.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I could get on board with a Johnston, LVBS, and Fouonji WR class 

Have you heard anything more with where we stand with him?

It seems like his recruitment has gone pretty quiet lately with every school, not just Texas. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

The Texas staff didn’t get the result they wanted on Saturday, but it sounds like they had a pretty good day on the recruiting front. The Longhorns even walked away with a 2021 commitment from Denton Ryan ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly collection of recruiting intel, we take a look at some of the big recruiting storylines coming out of the weekend.

Horns add to 2021 class

When I went to Denton Ryan for practice a few weeks before the season started, I got a strong impression that Ja'Tavion Sanders was leaning hard to Texas. I returned from that visit and entered a crystal ball pick for Sanders in favor of Texas. Sanders often said that his family grew up rooting for and watching Texas, and his fit as an edge rusher is perfect for the b-backer position.

Add in the fact that his teammate and friend Billy Bowman was already a member of the class along with the fact that Ryan has some pro-Longhorn coaches on staff, including former Texas fullback Alex De La Torre. There were strong impressions given that Sanders was coming to the LSU game with the intention of committing, and we heard early on Saturday that it was done.

As if we needed any further confirmation, the commitment went down at midfield and our own Jeff Howe witnessed it at the time. Sanders is now the highest ranked player in the 2021 Texas class, according to 247Sports Composite. His No. 43 national ranking is almost 30 spots higher than Jalen Milroe, who was previously the top ranked player in the class.

The class itself ranks No. 2 nationally behind Miami (12 commits). The momentum isn’t likely to slow either, but we’ll get to that later on in this article.

New offers

The Longhorns also took advantage of the big game environment to put out a few 2022 offers. Tom Herman started offering prospects on the field before games last year (Logan Parr and Jake Majorswere two prospects who were offered in the same way). The move makes an impression on kids, and it sounds like Saturday night was no different.

TE Donovan Green, Dickinson – The Longhorns pulled the trigger on Green after he blew the competition away at a Texas camp this summer. Green said that the experience was was unforgettable, and he also mentioned that he grew up loving Texas.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain – The Houston-area running back was also offered before the game, and he called the experience “unreal.” Capitalizing on the energy around a big game with an offer typically provides a boost, and Blue said that he was blown away by the experience.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek – Banks called Texas his dream school when he posted the offer, and the 6-foot-4, 285-pound offensive tackle called the atmosphere electric. Banks joins Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry as a priority target for Herb Hand in the ’22 class.

Atmosphere

When hosting a large group of elite recruits, it’s usually optimal if you win. However, if you can’t win, make sure the energy is up and you have a good showing. Despite the defensive struggles for Texas, most of the feedback I got from recruits was extremely positive. One of the bigger themes of that feedback centered around Texas looking like they belonged on the field against the best teams in the country, but the other big theme was the atmosphere.

A high school coach who was at the game called the pre-game energy “nuts.” He also added that despite the heat, the gameday experience and product on the field made it enjoyable. A recruit’s father that I spoke with called the energy “electric” and said that the game “felt more like a bowl game than a non-conference matchup.”

Five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer said that he loved the atmosphere and was glad he could be there to experience the game in person. Four-star 2021 defensive lineman Tunmise Adeleye singled out the student section for keeping the energy high and going nuts the entire game.

What’s next?

— I heard some really positive things around Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson.Coming into the weekend, I had Jackson pegged as a guy who was likely headed out of state. Ohio State and Stanford are the two teams to watch, but I think Texas is squarely in the mix coming out of this weekend. In fact, I think the Longhorns are probably right towards the top with the other two programs I mentioned. This recruitment will likely stretch out for a while, but I like the move that Texas made this weekend.

— I checked in with some sources near West Mesquite running back Ty Jordan. I thought there was a good chance that Jordan might pull the trigger over the weekend, but it didn’t happen. From what I was told, Texas is still the favorite in this one, and Jordan has been more concerned about taking care of some family business than recruiting. He’s slated to return in a few weeks for an official visit, and I think Texas secures him with a good trip.

— I’ve heard that Texas is making some positive progress with 2021 Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson as well. I think it’s still fairly early in this recruitment, but Texas seems to be working its way into a strong position for the four-star runner.

— It sounds like there’s going to be another big visit weekend in two weeks when the Longhorns host Oklahoma State. I’d expect a decent-sized group of recruits on campus mixed in with a few official visits.

HerbHand is so fucking good. Our OL is absolutely incredible this year. 

I’m still laughing at what all the butthurt Auburn fans said when he left. He’s an absolutely elite coach and an elite recruiter. He’s about to dominate the state in the best OL class we’ve seen in, I don’t know, decades? 

I know some people want the Brockermeyers to commit sooner, but I have 0 concerns about them. That family knows OL coaching and we have one of the best in the business. They can legitimately visit all the best schools in the country and come away believing their best chance for success and development is at Texas. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It seems like his recruitment has gone pretty quiet lately with every school, not just Texas. 

I’m still laughing at what all the butthurt Auburn fans said when he left. He’s an absolutely elite coach and an elite recruiter. He’s about to dominate the state in the best OL class we’ve seen in, I don’t know, decades? 

I know some people want the Brockermeyers to commit sooner, but I have 0 concerns about them. That family knows OL coaching and we have one of the best in the business. They can legitimately visit all the best schools in the country and come away believing their best chance for success and development is at Texas. 

Certainly didn't hurt seeing both Cosmi and Kerstetter hold their own, and at times dominate, a very talented LSU defense. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hand is also why I'm cautiously optimistic about Bryce Foster.  Foster's a big fan of his going back to Auburn recruiting.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

One of the strangest offer lists ever: https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Donovan-Green-125652/RecruitInterests/

Edited by Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Certainly didn't hurt seeing both Cosmi and Kerstetter hold their own, and at times dominate, a very talented LSU defense. 

Yeah. That was the biggest positive of the entire LSU game. Our OL did more than just hold up. They were great against one of the bets defensive front spin all of CFB. After two games, I think our OP may be closer to elite than good and that will be huge in avoiding upsets against teams like OSU and TCU. Teams will put up pints on us this year and we’ll need our offense to consistently sustain drives to avoid upsets.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Hand is also why I'm cautiously optimistic about Bryce Foster.  Foster's a big fan of his going back to Auburn recruiting.

I think we get Foster and Jackson but they’ll come later in the cycle. Those are the kind of guys you land after you already have the core of a #1 class locked up. This staff is starting to build a consensus in the state, and I think both those guys will eventually realize that and hop on. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

LSU had stud receivers.  We will not see any better.  We should roll the Big 12 and recruits know this or they are not watching. 

OUs receivers aren’t far behind. The games against them (should play them twice) will be similar to the LSU game, but we should be able to run against them a little better to control the game. 

I’m thinking they may be holding off on taking Jordan at this time. With Roschon looking like a legit full-time RB, our RB room will be pretty full (and studly) next year with a healthy Derrian Brown and Bijan in the mix (I can see Bijan getting major carries by OU if he’s an early enrollee).

I guess if they see Roschon being the eventual QB1 and want to get Whittington back in the WR room, then they’ll push for Jordan, but we need him more today than we will in 2020. 

Edited by EZ$

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I’m thinking they may be holding off on taking Jordan at this time. With Roschon looking like a legit full-time RB, our RB room will be pretty full (and studly) next year with a healthy Derrian Brown and Bijan in the mix (I can see Bijan getting major carries by OU if he’s an early enrollee).

I guess if they see Roschon being the eventual QB1 and want to get Whittington back in the WR room, then they’ll push for Jordan, but we need him more today than we will in 2020. 

Probably not. Jordan’s mom is really sick. That’s the more obvious and likely explanation.

14 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I’m thinking they may be holding off on taking Jordan at this time. With Roschon looking like a legit full-time RB, our RB room will be pretty full (and studly) next year with a healthy Derrian Brown and Bijan in the mix (I can see Bijan starting by OU if he’s an early enrollee).

No fucking way. In 2020:

Whittington - Injury history and body type prone to strains

Derrian - Recovering from a stroke

Ingram - 1/Junior

Robinson - 2/Freshman

RJ - We'll see

Young - 3/Senior

Kirk - Graduating

At a minimum they will want to be 4 RBs deep. Stunting the growth of a QB and relying on injury prone dudes to be 3 and 4 is a disaster. They must get Ty on board, and when they do, he'll immediately be the #3 back depending on what happens with RJ

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
Smart ass
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fuonji? Texas has begun to push, mostly out of the blue, and I think he's a great take if they land him. If you were asking Fud about LVBS or whatever the fuck from Cali, I think UT boards are far too sanguine about both UT's current pursuit and the likelihood of getting him.

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. That was the biggest positive of the entire LSU game. Our OL did more than just hold up. They were great against one of the bets defensive front spin all of CFB. After two games, I think our OP may be closer to elite than good and that will be huge in avoiding upsets against teams like OSU and TCU. Teams will put up pints on us this year and we’ll need our offense to consistently sustain drives to avoid upsets.

Sydney sock here? This post isn't English.

10 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Texas is not holding off on taking Jordan. He will announce on his own schedule and no one actually involved with the program has an issue with that.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No fucking way. In 2020:

Ingram - 1/Junior

Robinson - 2/Sophmore

RJ - We'll see

Young - 3/Senior

Kirk - Graduating

At a minimum they will want to be 4 RBs deep. Stunting the growth of a QB and relying on injury prone dudes to be 3 and 4 is a disaster. They must get Ty on board, and when they do, he'll immediately be the #3 back depending on what happens with RJ

Bijan will be a sophomore next season?  that’s pretty cool. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No fucking way. In 2020:

Ingram - 1/Junior

Robinson - 2/Sophmore

RJ - We'll see

Young - 3/Senior

Kirk - Graduating

Yes, if you are completely writing off Whittington and Brown, then we need to sign Jordan. I’m not writing them off.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Fuonji? Texas has begun to push, mostly out of the blue, and I think he's a great take if they land him. If you were asking Fud about LVBS or whatever the fuck from Cali, I think UT boards are far too sanguine about both UT's current pursuit and the likelihood of getting him.

Sydney sock here? This post isn't English.

I was talking about LVBS and I agree on where we’re at with him.

lulz. Just reread it and holy shit that was bad. Typing while walking is a bad idea, I guess. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

Bijan will be a sophomore next season?  that’s pretty cool. 

I thought it was more noteworthy that Whittington won’t even make it on the RB depth chart next year, but to each his own.

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yes, if you are completely writing off Whittington and Brown, then we need to sign Jordan. I’m not writing them off.  

There's a difference between writing off and not counting on. I expect both to be back next year and to play well at the University of Texas. I do not want to rely on their healthy production to keep the rb room at its par

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No fucking way. In 2020:

Ingram - 1/Junior

Robinson - 2/Sophmore

RJ - We'll see

Young - 3/Senior

Kirk - Graduating

Whittington games played the last three years: 11, 13, 14.

Please tell me more about this extensive injury history.

6bd83b6a28b3bf7da31d10f6f4fe2e2c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

From a roster management standpoint, you HAVE to write Brown off. Obviously, everyone hopes he will be medically cleared and plays again with the greatest of success.

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I wouldn't write either of them off. However, there's a good chance that Brown is available to practice next year without getting cleared to play in a real game. And Whittington might not be a RB as much as a utility RB/WR/etc.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Whittington games played the last three years: 11, 13, 14.

Please tell me more about this extensive injury history.

6bd83b6a28b3bf7da31d10f6f4fe2e2c.jpg

So what's the argument here? I was responding to whether the coaching staff is slow playing Jordan. Based on what we've heard, that's not true and I was pointing out why it's not wise. Is your position that we are fully stocked at RB and none of the guys in that room have injury concern?