Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think we get Foster and Jackson but they’ll come later in the cycle. Those are the kind of guys you land after you already have the core of a #1 class locked up. This staff is starting to build a consensus in the state, and I think both those guys will eventually realize that and hop on. 

The 2020 OL better come in ready to show out because potentially the 2021 guys could pass them.  I think Karic is the next Cosmi and I think Majors can be a starter after 2, maybe 3 years, in the S&C program ( he's an EE ).  I could definitely see Parr getting passed/depth guy if Jackson and Foster end up here along with Conner.  Garth will all determine how he comes back from the injury.

Foster looks like a Guard that only comes around so often.

Sorry for 2021 talk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The 2020 OL better come in ready to show out because potentially the 2021 guys could pass them.  I think Karic is the next Cosmi and I think Majors can be a starter after 2, maybe 3 years, in the S&C program ( he's an EE ).  I could definitely see Parr getting passed/depth guy if Jackson and Foster end up here along with Conner.  Garth will all determine how he comes back from the injury.

Sorry for 2021 talk.

Yeah. Garth getting hurt sucks for him. He’s going to be playing catch up with guys like Byrd and Brockermeyer right on his heels. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. All the 2020 guys seem like they need a couple years, but most of the 2021 guys seem like they could potentially earn a starting spot pretty early.

• Like 2

I can't believe we've finally reached a point where guys like Hayden Connor, Christian Jones, Logan Parr, Jake Majors,  Isiah Hookfin, or Jaylen Garth aren't thrown immediately to the wolves as FR directly on the 2-deep, much less RS. I can't believe we have reached a point where we have the kind of athleticism and talent that guys like that could be career backups. Living through the OL at Texas post-2005 has been a fucking beating. It's hard to not be gunshy about it but goddamn we are stacking a VASTLY different type of talent. Thinking that those guys could be passed by this crazy ass 2021 class? Fuck. 2008 me would've throat punched my mom for any 2 of these guys. 

• Like 6

I can't believe we're even having a debate about taking Ty Jordan. We don't have a running back on the roster with that kind of track speed right now. He was a take a year ago, he was a take in the spring, and he's certainly a take now.

Not 2020 strictly, but we (i.e., the staff) need to start mulling grad transfer options at OT. Scouts have not missed what Cosmi did against Chaisson.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sorry for 2021 talk.

No way anyone should think we are getting Foster after what happened in August until he signs, it will be a Princess Bride hike.

tenor.gif?itemid=10271988

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I can't believe we're even having a debate about taking Ty Jordan. We don't have a running back on the roster with that kind of track speed right now. He was a take a year ago, he was a take in the spring, and he's certainly a take now.

Not 2020 strictly, but we (i.e., the staff) need to start mulling grad transfer options at OT. Scouts have not missed what Cosmi did against Chaisson.

Next year Reese Moore and Christian Jones should be ready to compete for that LT job. Hopefully Hand is liking what he sees and we're not dependent on the transfer portal for an OL starter for the third year in a row.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

start mulling grad transfer options at OT

you’ve said this twice now.  have you heard things that would imply nobody on the roster right now could handle right tackle if cosmi leaves and kerstetter moves to LT? we have a lot of talent stockpiled.  if none of them are good enough to start at tackle in 2020 I’d be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Next year Reese Moore and Christian Jones should be ready to compete for that LT job. Hopefully Hand is liking what he sees and we're not dependent on the transfer portal for an OL starter for the third year in a row.

But what if Cosmi stays?

tenor.gif?itemid=3520545

Edited by Post Oak

1 minute ago, futureman said:

you’ve said this twice now.  have you heard things that would imply nobody on the roster right now could handle right tackle if cosmi leaves and kerstetter moves to LT? we have a lot of talent stockpiled.  if none of them are good enough to start at tackle in 2020 I’d be surprised. 

I think that 2020 is one of those "window" years where you can't rely on faith that one of our incubating tackles will go from "promising" to "championship-caliber" at LT. If someone makes a Cosmi-like leap around bowl practices then maybe we develop someone from within, but at the very least we should be keeping our options open.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It’s an interesting thing to watch. I had this debate in the off-season one of my buddies that works in scouting-ish type of shit. Is Cosmi in need of coming out? He’s got a shot to be projected in the first this year, but he’s not going to be the first tackle taken unless he really fucking crushes it. He has a shot to be the first tackle taken next year though. He could get hyped and built up and be the senior LT blocking for a senior QB on a team squarely in the CFP hunt. I don’t know. It’s fun to watch. 

23 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

What do you propose?  NCAA isn't going to do anything that gives the appearance of jeopardizing player safety.  It sucks to be sure, just don't know what you can do.

Maybe they can implement a cramp protocol, and the injury timeouts can be sponsored by Midol.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I can't believe we've finally reached a point where guys like Hayden Connor, Christian Jones, Logan Parr, Jake Majors,  Isiah Hookfin, or Jaylen Garth aren't thrown immediately to the wolves as FR directly on the 2-deep, much less RS. I can't believe we have reached a point where we have the kind of athleticism and talent that guys like that could be career backups. Living through the OL at Texas post-2005 has been a fucking beating. It's hard to not be gunshy about it but goddamn we are stacking a VASTLY different type of talent. Thinking that those guys could be passed by this crazy ass 2021 class? Fuck. 2008 me would've throat punched my mom for any 2 of these guys. 

For me this is the ultimate barometer of a healthy roster and program

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s an interesting thing to watch. I had this debate in the off-season one of my buddies that works in scouting-ish type of shit. Is Cosmi in need of coming out? He’s got a shot to be projected in the first this year, but he’s not going to be the first tackle taken unless he really fucking crushes it. He has a shot to be the first tackle taken next year though. He could get hyped and built up and be the senior LT blocking for a senior QB on a team squarely in the CFP hunt. I don’t know. It’s fun to watch. 

Wouldn't he be a junior next year?

• Like 2

I didn't check the roster. Yeah, he apparently won't be a senior, but he'll have the chance to finish his fourth year with the QB he came in with in the 2017 class. That's what I meant, whether RS JR or SR. Just seems unlikely to me that he leaves this year unless he really needs the money. If he'd have access to a SR year if he were to get hurt next year is probably an additional wildcard that could make him more comfortable staying.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The program could use a 1st round pick OL, it’s been a while. So either way he’s helping the program. 

I have to assume that between kerstetter, Jones, Moore, Johnson, hookfin, and shepherd that we can field 2 quality starting tackles and have a quality backup or two. 

Okafor would have a shot, as well 

Remember though that Kerstetter might be the favorite to start at center 

16 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I agree that he is a take

1. He's got talent (hands, size, and speed)

2. To keep him away from okie lite and not give them another Blackmon/Wallace/Bryant/Washington 

OSU isn't your primary competition for Fouonji IMO.

Edited by pigmeat markham

Just now, Bruh Man said:

Hopefully QJ is much more physical than CJ. 

Imagine being a projected 1st rd pick senior getting punked all game by a true freshman. SMH. 

I don’t want to get into a pissing match over this, and I don’t follow the NFL draft stuff this early, but is Collin Johnson really projected to go in the 1st? I don’t see the draft trends going towards big, slowish WRs these days. Not saying I don’t dig CJ and wish him well as a top pick, I’m just thinking he’s projecting more like a 5th-7th round pick.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t want to get into a pissing match over this, and I don’t follow the NFL draft stuff this early, but is Collin Johnson really projected to go in the 1st? I don’t see the draft trends going towards big, slowish WRs these days. Not saying I don’t dig CJ and wish him well as a top pick, I’m just thinking he’s projecting more like a 5th-7th round pick.  

No he's not.  That's mostly wishful thinking on our fan's part.  He's too slow to go in the 1st round.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No. There’s been like one terrible year early mock that put him in there. A lot of draft people probably have him as about the 7th WR right now. And that’s before he runs a 40 at the combine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I know his name popped up on at least one list suggesting he could be a 1st rounder. But I think you're completely right about his actual draft prospects. He's basically Equanimeous St. Brown, who went in the 6th a few years ago

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good gosh no. He's likely closer to a 4.7+ guy, and WRs running a 40 that high are not taken in the 1st round. Johnson is most likely a 4th round pick or lower.

• Like 1

No, the WR that NFL draft scouts are getting excited about is Duvernay. This is what Dane Brugler wrote about him in the Athletic earlier:

Entering Saturday night’s game, NFL eyes were locked on Texas WR Colin Johnson (6-6, 221, 4.56), a potential top-75 draft pick, to see how he would fare vs. LSU’s talented secondary. However, it was the Longhorns other senior wideout who proved to be the greater offensive threat vs. the Tigers. Senior WR Devin Duvernay (5-11, 209, 4.45) managed only one catch in the first half, but he broke through in the second half with 11 receptions for 137 yards and two touchdowns. Texas did a great job getting him the ball in space where he could turn on the jets and create. Before the catch, Duvernay looked like an athletic wideout with sharp footwork and steady hands. After the catch, he looked more like a running back with his run toughness and breakaway speed. Just ask LSU SS Grant Delpit, who is one of the best downhill tacklers in college football. On a wide receiver screen, he flew downhill to lay a lick on the receiver, but Duvernay lowered his pads and delivered a more physical hit, putting Delpit on his backside (see clip below). Entering the season, I gave Duvernay a sixth-round grade, but he played like a senior prospect ready to make a move up draft boards this season.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No, the WR that NFL draft scouts are getting excited about is Duvernay. This is what Dane Brugler wrote about him in the Athletic earlier:

Duvernay is likely going to have the production and testing to move up the draft boards, likely being the 1st Longhorn off the board, unless Cosmi declares. I guess if Braun continues to show out, he could sneak into the 2nd round.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Duvernay is likely going to have the production and testing to move up the draft boards, likely being the 1st Longhorn off the board, unless Cosmi declares. I guess is Braun continues to show out, he could sneak into the 2nd round.

Braun will be an interesting. He’s an absolutely incredible football player, but he’s on the small side and that usually makes guys drop. I’ll be curious to see if a team is willing to ignore the measurables and falls in love with the tape.

also, If Braun goes to the combine, It’ll be entertaining to see what his 40 time is. That guy can really run for an OL.