Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

This seems like a great place to discuss aggy’s next shitty QB for several pages.

Whatever brings us to 1000. I agree with you, though. It seems kind of aggie to complain about his ranking. Who gives a fuck, besides S. Austin's mom?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, I do think the vast majority of failures at ranking football players by the services are because of reliance on camp performances. The recruiting services aren't the only people guilty of this, the NFL does it all the time at the combine.

I honestly don't give a single shit about Haynes King, not even based on where he committed. But when your #1 QB in the country looks that bad in an actual football game, you screwed up. Particularly if the reason he's #1 is because of things he did in shorts in drills that can be prepped for but don't have four to five 270 pound linemen coming after you with bad intentions.

Camps aren't football. The recruiting services frequently lose sight of that.

This is correct, but they have to over rely on them, because there isn't enough staff to watch millions of hours of game tape for all the HS players in the country.

Though Hamilton and Burton both said something that was interesting in the podcast this week in regards to Texas,  that somewhere in the UT bat cave there are analysts watching game film of 2022 prospects and this wasn't done much at all under Mack Brown.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Whatever brings us to 1000. I agree with you, though. It seems kind of aggie to complain about his ranking. Who gives a fuck, besides S. Austin's mom?

I don’t think most people are complaining about his ranking. I’m certainly not. The idiocy of his ranking spoke for itself last night. It just shows how arbitrary/untrustworthy rankings are.

Lots of $9.95ers have no idea what football players look like and are influenced by so many other factors. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is correct, but they have to over rely on them, because there isn't enough staff to watch millions of hours of game tape for all the HS players in the country.

Though Hamilton and Burton both said something that was interesting in the podcast this week in regards to Texas,  that somewhere in the UT bat cave there are analysts watching game film of 2022 prospects and this wasn't done much at all under Mack Brown.

Yeah it was a good listen, especially for the Earl Thomas, Deion Beasley and Shawn Witherspoon story.  They said that Mack's step son was the recruiting director lol. Gerry Hamilton should have a pod just on recruiting stories from years past..Texas edition.

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

not that it would have made a huge difference, but having an actual RS year couldn't have hurt him at all. reminder that Mack burned his RS so he could attempt 13 passes and run it 20 times as one of the most raw QB to be at Texas in the last 20 years.

literally, going into the bowl game he had attempted 7 passes and 12 rushes

fucking Mack and terrible roster management. 

10047206615_54ba9e9acb.jpg

Have a question regarding 9.95 and camp overlooks. Especially toward undersized offensive lineman. With the cosmi rise, hookfin and karic evaluations, are the undersized but lengthy offensive lineman undervalued in general? If not are the future projections a little dated regarding their upside without consideration to modern college strength and conditioning programs? 

We keep taking the right 260ish guys and they are becoming 300 lb beasts and its impressive. 

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

Have a question regarding 9.95 and camp overlooks. Especially toward undersized offensive lineman. With the cosmi rise, hookfin and karic evaluations, are the undersized but lengthy offensive lineman undervalued in general? If not are the future projections a little dated regarding their upside without consideration to modern college strength and conditioning programs? 

We keep taking the right 260ish guys and they are becoming 300 lb beasts and its impressive. 

Yes.

34 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think most people are complaining about his ranking. I’m certainly not. The idiocy of his ranking spoke for itself last night. It just shows how arbitrary/untrustworthy rankings are.

Lots of $9.95ers have no idea what football players look like and are influenced by so many other factors. 

They are writers who may or may not have ever played a down of football. They generally don't know the game very well so their own evaluations don't mean much. They get things right because if they see Alabama and Clemson and tOSU fighting for a recruit, that recruit is probably pretty good. Then if that same recruit is big and runs fast at the camps, his rankings go up even higher. The writers also do okay when they look at skill position players who are big and have good production their junior season. The writers generally are pretty dreadful when they have to project. So if you look at King, he was rated pretty high because he was productive as a Junior. Then he went to camps and he looked big and fast. He may have even thrown well to open receivers. What is surprising to me is that he must have thrown pretty well in 7v7. You would think that if a guy throws well in 7v7, he would throw well in games.

20 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Also, I think this has to do with the trust Herman has in Yancy.  Our previous S&C coaches could not grow these kids like Yancy has been able to do.  Was it Herman or Hand that said they actually look for athleticism and frame first being underweight isn't much of a concern?

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

IT rounds up the class, position by position:

QB: Two and 'cue, imo. They're done. What a haul, and yes, Ja'Quinden Jackson should be viewed as a quarterback.

RB: They want two for sure and Ty Jordan is certainly the most likely to join Bijan Robinson. We mention team speed on defense but these two make it a requirement for defenses to have.

TE: It looks like they'll take a pass for the cycle and already have two (or three) committed for 2021. After this season the future of the position is very bright.

WR: We've heard they may only take two at receiver but we *think* that number might be three, especially if Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji keeps balling like he is. He's looking less a project by the game. They like LV Bunkley-Shelton as well and since they don't project to the same position it isn't either/or. Or is it, depending on numbers? That's where BPA (best player available) comes in. They may borrow from here to strike it rich elsewhere.

OL: Four is the number and it has been met. Greedy eyes are directed towards the next cycle.

DL: Alfred Collins is the biggest remaining target on the board. If Texas gets him it would place the 2020 d-line haul second to only the 2018 defensive backfield as the best positional groups of the Herman recruiting era. Collins visited OU last weekend and per the usual, writers who cover that team came away feeling like OU is in it. I believe they believe that. I believe OU coaches believe that. I don't believe he'll end up there. As for timeline, don't know and don't care. All I care about is how I feel about it long-term and I still feel good.

LB: I've been vocal that I like the long-term prospects of the position. I've also been vocal that I don't really know who the short-term prospects are at the position. If I'm calling the shots Jaden Hullaby is a linebacker. That guy is showing some serious athleticism at quarterback and you know how I feel about offense being a tool for evaluating linebackers. I think he has some mental traits -- spatial awareness -- for it too. Prince Dorbah should not be viewed as a B-backer, he should be viewed as a linebacker. If Ossai can play Rover, and he clearly can, then my book on Dorbah is he can too. Should they push for Len'neth Whitehead? Absolutely. He's a stud, but I'm not sure I'd reach just to fill numbers. Gbenda and Tillman have star potential. Mitchell and Johnson surely won't be hindered by athleticism. You might bet Floyd back. Hold fast, imo, unless it's a BPA. Whitehead qualifies for that status. So does Josh White but I talked to him and he seems solid to LSU. UT needs mama to help. A JUCO isn't out of the realm of possibility but I think that would be short-sighted and reflective of this year where he can't help rather than next year where he's unlikely to.

DB: Texas needs the young corners to develop rapidly. Kitan Crawford will require some seasoning, Ethan Pouncey will require physical development, Josh Eaton will require both. Immediate help isn't on its way, but the future beyond that is bright. The staff didn't have the assembly line here. Blame 2016 and 2017, not 2018. The corners will improve over the course of the year. At safety, the staff has two similar players in Jerrin Thompson and Xavion Alford. Fortunately each provides versatility as field safeties or nickels. Both are cerebral and instinctive. Would they take another? Yes, but he has to be good. DB is done unless they get a clean flip, somehow win over Kelee Ringo, or get antsy at corner and look JUCO. A JUCO CB should be dependent on how the current group develops.

To be fair, it's not possible to project those 3* lineman. Their ability to reach their frame potential is entirely incumbent on the school that they ultimately choose.

If Karic went to aggy for example, they would balloon him up and slow him down so he can contribute meaningfully to fatball as a 2nd year player. When Karic goes to Texas, he will add 40 lbs of good weight, improve technique and have the opportunity to start in his 3rd or 4th year in the program. In scenario a, the potential is never realized as he chose the wrong school for his development and the sites are right to grade him a 3*. In scenario b, they critically undervalued his potential. So, as a ratings guy, do I want to project now? Or do I want to wait until they've chosen a destination and adjust after the fact? Enter BOMC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

QB: Two and 'cue, imo. They're done. What a haul, and yes, Ja'Quinden Jackson should be viewed as a quarterback.

RB: They want two for sure and Ty Jordan is certainly the most likely to join Bijan Robinson. We mention team speed on defense but these two make it a requirement for defenses to have.

TE: It looks like they'll take a pass for the cycle and already have two (or three) committed for 2021. After this season the future of the position is very bright.

WR: We've heard they may only take two at receiver but we *think* that number might be three, especially if Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji keeps balling like he is. He's looking less a project by the game. They like LV Bunkley-Shelton as well and since they don't project to the same position it isn't either/or. Or is it, depending on numbers? That's where BPA (best player available) comes in. They may borrow from here to strike it rich elsewhere.

OL: Four is the number and it has been met. Greedy eyes are directed towards the next cycle.

DL: Alfred Collins is the biggest remaining target on the board. If Texas gets him it would place the 2020 d-line haul second to only the 2018 defensive backfield as the best positional groups of the Herman recruiting era. Collins visited OU last weekend and per the usual, writers who cover that team came away feeling like OU is in it. I believe they believe that. I believe OU coaches believe that. I don't believe he'll end up there. As for timeline, don't know and don't care. All I care about is how I feel about it long-term and I still feel good.

LB: I've been vocal that I like the long-term prospects of the position. I've also been vocal that I don't really know who the short-term prospects are at the position. If I'm calling the shots Jaden Hullaby is a linebacker. That guy is showing some serious athleticism at quarterback and you know how I feel about offense being a tool for evaluating linebackers. I think he has some mental traits -- spatial awareness -- for it too. Prince Dorbah should not be viewed as a B-backer, he should be viewed as a linebacker. If Ossai can play Rover, and he clearly can, then my book on Dorbah is he can too. Should they push for Len'neth Whitehead? Absolutely. He's a stud, but I'm not sure I'd reach just to fill numbers. Gbenda and Tillman have star potential. Mitchell and Johnson surely won't be hindered by athleticism. You might bet Floyd back. Hold fast, imo, unless it's a BPA. Whitehead qualifies for that status. So does Josh White but I talked to him and he seems solid to LSU. UT needs mama to help. A JUCO isn't out of the realm of possibility but I think that would be short-sighted and reflective of this year where he can't help rather than next year where he's unlikely to.

DB: Texas needs the young corners to develop rapidly. Kitan Crawford will require some seasoning, Ethan Pouncey will require physical development, Josh Eaton will require both. Immediate help isn't on its way, but the future beyond that is bright. The staff didn't have the assembly line here. Blame 2016 and 2017, not 2018. The corners will improve over the course of the year. At safety, the staff has two similar players in Jerrin Thompson and Xavion Alford. Fortunately each provides versatility as field safeties or nickels. Both are cerebral and instinctive. Would they take another? Yes, but he has to be good. DB is done unless they get a clean flip, somehow win over Kelee Ringo, or get antsy at corner and look JUCO. A JUCO CB should be dependent on how the current group develops.

So it sounds like they are down to Jordan, 1-2 WR, Collins, and maybe a JUCO LB.

You stay on Ringo until the end, which I guess should be telling considering the need at the position and him not being mentioned.

I don’t think most people are complaining about his ranking. I’m certainly not.

Not only are we not complaining, we find the ranking just delightful.

As long as he's a five star, Aggy will keep him regardless of how he plays this year, and make no contingency plan. Any poor performance will be discarded bc clearly he has talent since he's a five star, and when "Jimbo the QB whisperer" gets a hold of him we'll all see his true potential.

Inevitably they'll lose patience and throw him to the wolves too quickly when they fail to beat bama, and then scratch their heads trying to understand why a five star recruit looks so bad.

But it will be ok, bc they have another five star qb recruit committed who has some issues on film, but just wait until Jimbo gets ahold of him...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
3 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:
A 5 star talent at qb in high school should elevate his talent around him. Especially in games where you are 6a and playing nothing but 5a schools to this point.

Tyrone Swoopes won 2 games one year as probably the biggest athlete in the district.

What I remember about HS-era Swoopes is that he had a rocket arm but absolutely no touch. The kids that tried to catch his balls were knocked over and some of them wanted nothing to do with some of his passes. It was comical.

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So it sounds like they are down to Jordan, 1-2 WR, Collins, and maybe a JUCO LB.

You stay on Ringo until the end, which I guess should be telling considering the need at the position and him not being mentioned.

I think we would take a TE (HS, Transfer or Juco) if we find one that we like and can get in.

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Not only are we not complaining, we find the ranking just delightful.

This is certainly where I am. My only quibble might be, as Huck noted, the propensity for reliance on measurables to be so universal. But as it applies to this aggy in particular, hey...

f5e716f55dcb97fb9432c8886e656da7.gif

I was trying to remember the last time somebody at a skill position with little to no (or poor) film turned out to be better than expected based purely on measurables / combines / camps. NFL running back Chris Johnson is the only one I can think of, but even he had at least had a breakout season his final year in college -- not enough to suggest what he was going to do in the NFL, but still, pretty good.

For the recruiting services, though, their "camp warriors" are almost always busts. Somebody up thread mentioned Swoopes, and I think he's a perfect case in point. QBs who lead their 2A team to 2 wins in a season are not 5* material, sorry, no matter what they do at camps. They have a really hard time evaluating OL, of course, so I give 'em a break on that one, but for QBs, RBs and WRs, their love of the camps in preference to game film is just silly.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

This is certainly where I am. My only quibble might be, as Huck noted, the propensity for reliance on measurables to be so universal. But as it applies to this aggy in particular, hey...

f5e716f55dcb97fb9432c8886e656da7.gif

I was trying to remember the last time somebody at a skill position with little to no (or poor) film turned out to be better than expected based purely on measurables / combines / camps. NFL running back Chris Johnson is the only one I can think of, but even he had at least had a breakout season his final year in college -- not enough to suggest what he was going to do in the NFL, but still, pretty good.

For the recruiting services, though, their "camp warriors" are almost always busts. Somebody up thread mentioned Swoopes, and I think he's a perfect case in point. QBs who lead their 2A team to 2 wins in a season are not 5* material, sorry, no matter what they do at camps. They have a really hard time evaluating OL, of course, so I give 'em a break on that one, but for QBs, RBs and WRs, their love of the camps in preference to game film is just silly.

King did lead his team to a state championship. He's no Swoopes. 

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They did mention Ringo, but they've been pretty negative about Texas' chances since early in the summer.

In fact, Nahlin pretty strongly alluded yesterday that Ringo has already received the bag. His quote was something like, "That would need to take a drastic return in events". 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

In fact, Nahlin pretty strongly alluded yesterday that Ringo has already received the bag. His quote was something like, "That would need to take a drastic return in events". 

if so, he should be looking at a Cali school to sell his likeness and/or name gear. 

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

King did lead his team to a state championship. He's no Swoopes. 

It's not really a comparison, though. I'd agree King is a QB who should be playing such for an FBS school; however, while his numbers suggest championship caliber, and his team succeeded a year ago, it's still an open question whether his performance on the field justifies the ranking. This week, the answer is no. Next week may be a different story altogether.

But the fact that aggy is squirming over it is, without question, funny.

Meanwhile, Texas is done recruiting the position until the 2022 class, and I couldn't be happier about it.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

A redshirt would only have helped if we switched him to TE immediately.  Since that wasn't happening I'm glad we got him off the books as quickly as possible.

People called me racist for suggesting he was a tight end. He is in the NFL as a tight end, those bunch of racist bastards. 

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Meanwhile, Texas is done recruiting the position until the 2022 class, and I couldn't be happier about it.

They will add a project late in the '21 cycle if they stick with RJ at RB and to give JQJ or Card the option of changing positions when one is 3rd string their 2nd year. 

QB depth

2020: Sam-Casey-JQJ-Card

2021: Casey-JQJ/Card-Milroe-2021x

2022: Casey-JQJ/Card-Milroe-2021x-2022x

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

What I remember about HS-era Swoopes is that he had a rocket arm but absolutely no touch. The kids that tried to catch his balls were knocked over and some of them wanted nothing to do with some of his passes. It was comical.

It can happen. QBs need to use some touch also. I was catching a pass from a former UT QB, quick slant that was off target, dived for the ball and it dislocated and broke my ring finger. I guess I should have worn gloves but drilling the ball and being off target from 10ft away is kind of stupid. That is a way to throw picks.

54 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They will add a project late in the '21 cycle if they stick with RJ at RB and to give JQJ or Card the option of changing positions when one is 3rd string their 2nd year. 

QB depth

roschon_johnson.0.jpg

4 hours ago, NoName said:

that is kind of the entire point of The Opening, Elite 11, All Star game practices, etc

I thought the point was to get trainers, and coaches, and shoe companies paid, and to then get high school athletes and their "trainers" to meet with agents who can help guide them to agencies and shoe companies a few years down the line when they go pro.

• Like 2

Did the team portion have anything good?

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's not really a comparison, though. I'd agree King is a QB who should be playing such for an FBS school; however, while his numbers suggest championship caliber, and his team succeeded a year ago, it's still an open question whether his performance on the field justifies the ranking. This week, the answer is no. Next week may be a different story altogether.

But the fact that aggy is squirming over it is, without question, funny.

His numbers vs. out manned 5A teams so far are very underwhelming.

38 for 68
55%
588 yards
5 ints
1 passing touchdown

Opponents combined record this season 1-6

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the aggy horde is okay with Manbun. Seems like in their worldview, they signed someone at QB who is a sip fehg.

That's old aggy. New aggy is still dorky, dumb, and dull, but they are dorky, dumb, and dull with a lisp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

QB depth

Wrong sir, according to famous insider LotusHorn Casey Thompson will beat out Ehlinger for the starting job next year #TrusttheLotus

• Like 2