Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

I stopped watching at halftime.  Has he improved at all in the second half?  I still can't figure out why they are throwing at all.

his dad is the coach.  the game is nationally televised. he wants to get pub for his son.  not his fault his son is ass my dude.  well, maybe it is.

Haynes King goes 8 for 18 for 110 yards and 3 INTS against a mediocre opponent. On national TV. How is he the #1 QB? The freaking announcers are showing a pretty pass for a TD even though it didn't count. That's all they had to work with, bless their heart.

I look forward to how Looch and his minions spin this.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Haynes King goes 8 for 18 for 110 yards and 3 INTS against a mediocre opponent. On national TV. How is he the #1 QB? The freaking announcers are showing a pretty pass for a TD even though it didn't count. That's all they had to work with, bless their heart.

He's here to play big boy football, hand in the dirt kinda stuff.  The numbers sometimes won't SEEM like they're good.  I think he acquitted himself just fine.  

• Haha 1

Mike at Night: Examining 2020 wide receiver recruiting

—It sounds like the brief flirtation Texas had with Rockwall WR and Ohio State commit Jaxon Smith-Njigba is going to pass without much fanfare. Things almost got really exciting before the LSU game though. I was informed by sources near the four-star wide receiver that he was setting up a visit to Austin, and he was circling returning for an official visit. I was asked to keep this quiet until things could get finalized. I checked in a few times during the week and was told that Smith-Njigba was still figuring things out. Near the end of the week, I was told that the visit was off and the confidence was gone. Despite efforts to keep the visit as quiet as possible, Ohio State caught wind and shut things down. Smith-Njigba instead made a trip to Ohio State. Unless things change dramatically once again, I’d expect both sides to go their own ways.

—Business could be picking up for Texas and Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. The three-star wide receiver is off to a monster start this season with 8 catches for 279 yards and 4 touchdowns. Fouonji visited Austin for the LSU game, and I’m told he came away impressed with the passing performance Texas was able to put on. When Texas offered in the summer, it didn’t seem like Fouonji had much interest. He was further along with the staffs at Oklahoma State and SMU who had been recruiting him for a long time. I checked back in with sources this week, and it seems that there may be something there with the lanky speedster. It sounds like he will likely official to Austin during the season.  Billy Embody of our LSU and SMU sites caught up with him and will have a full update tomorrow you'll want to tune into.

—I spoke with sources near Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra wide receiver LV Bunkley-Shelton. Bunkley-Shelton was also impressed by the aerial performance the Longhorns put up against LSU’s vaunted secondary talent. Bunkley-Shelton wants to return for an official visit this fall, and he’s also trying to set up an unofficial visit to take in the Texas/OU game in October. So far this season, Bunkley-Shelton has 9 catches for 107 yards and 1 touchdown.

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: Examining 2020 wide receiver recruiting

Hide contents

—It sounds like the brief flirtation Texas had with Rockwall WR and Ohio State commit Jaxon Smith-Njigba is going to pass without much fanfare. Things almost got really exciting before the LSU game though. I was informed by sources near the four-star wide receiver that he was setting up a visit to Austin, and he was circling returning for an official visit. I was asked to keep this quiet until things could get finalized. I checked in a few times during the week and was told that Smith-Njigba was still figuring things out. Near the end of the week, I was told that the visit was off and the confidence was gone. Despite efforts to keep the visit as quiet as possible, Ohio State caught wind and shut things down. Smith-Njigba instead made a trip to Ohio State. Unless things change dramatically once again, I’d expect both sides to go their own ways.

—Business could be picking up for Texas and Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. The three-star wide receiver is off to a monster start this season with 8 catches for 279 yards and 4 touchdowns. Fouonji visited Austin for the LSU game, and I’m told he came away impressed with the passing performance Texas was able to put on. When Texas offered in the summer, it didn’t seem like Fouonji had much interest. He was further along with the staffs at Oklahoma State and SMU who had been recruiting him for a long time. I checked back in with sources this week, and it seems that there may be something there with the lanky speedster. It sounds like he will likely official to Austin during the season.  Billy Embody of our LSU and SMU sites caught up with him and will have a full update tomorrow you'll want to tune into.

—I spoke with sources near Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra wide receiver LV Bunkley-Shelton. Bunkley-Shelton was also impressed by the aerial performance the Longhorns put up against LSU’s vaunted secondary talent. Bunkley-Shelton wants to return for an official visit this fall, and he’s also trying to set up an unofficial visit to take in the Texas/OU game in October. So far this season, Bunkley-Shelton has 9 catches for 107 yards and 1 touchdown.

If efforts were made to keep the visit quiet, then why the fuck did we all hear about it?  It’s a crock of shit, I don’t give a fuck who pays 995, they report things that should be kept quiet and that’s a detriment to our recruiting 

25 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

If efforts were made to keep the visit quiet, then why the fuck did we all hear about it?  It’s a crock of shit, I don’t give a fuck who pays 995, they report things that should be kept quiet and that’s a detriment to our recruiting 

If OSU was telling him they would pull his offer if he went to Texas on a visit, I would tell Day to pound sand. This whole secret shit is hysterical.

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

So including this game Haynes King is 38/68 (55 C %) and has 5 interceptions 3 games into the season. All against lower level competition. His QB rating was awful coming into this game at 81.9 so no telling where it is now after this abysmal performance. 

There's no reason King should be a 5 star. 

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wasn’t King pretty bad against Lufkin too? Why is he rated so high and how did Longview win the state title last year?

dude did very, very, very well at camps this summer - he was already at 109 on 4/30 but jumped (rankings history) pretty quickly as a result of those camps

Composite

• 4/30- 109
  • 5/31 - 108
  • 6/15 - 79
  • 7/31 - 78
  • 8/15 - 25

His Top247 ranking saw some huge jumps since NSD2

• 1/31- 313
  • 2/15- 319
  • 2/28 - 43 (276 spot jump!)
  • 3/15 - 31
  • 5/31 - 32
  • 7/31 - 19

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Longview lost 15 starters to graduation, maybe the team made King look better than he is. He's got a lot of physical development to do. He's going to need 1-2 years in a real college weight program.

i mean, the entire reason he had that big jump was because of his results in the camps - he went from a solid 4* guy to a 5*, top 20 guy in the country guy as a result of that performance - which had nothing to do with the team around him

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i mean, the entire reason he had that big jump was because of his results in the camps - he went from a solid 4* guy to a 5*, top 20 guy in the country guy as a result of that performance - which had nothing to do with the team around him

A 5 star talent at qb in high school should elevate his talent around him. Especially in games where you are 6a and playing nothing but 5a schools to this point.

Edited by Dondrysdale1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

So his ranking as a football player went up based on things he can do when he's not, you know, playing football?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

A 5 star talent at qb in high school should elevate his talent around him. Especially in games where you are 6a and playing nothing but 5a schools to this point.

i mean, they lost something like 15 starters over last year - that is kind of a big deal in HSFB...

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So his ranking as a football player went up based on things he can do when he's not, you know, playing football?

*sigh*

you aren't new around here, come on.

if you think the only thing that should go into ranking high school football players is what they do during games you probably don't need to follow recruiting basically ever. 

that is kind of the entire point of The Opening, Elite 11, All Star game practices, etc - see top tier guys compete against each other and other top competition nationally plus get actual standardized ratings/results instead of the hand timed 40 that Jim Bob recorded at your local middle school field.

if you want to totally ignore what happens at those events, then more power to you, just don't act like they do not matter at all. 

his ranking went up significantly because he played excellently in individual drills, practices and 7 on 7

i get shitting on him because of where he committed, and his ranking is almost guaranteed to go down some but come on man.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, they lost something like 15 starters over last year - that is kind of a big deal in HSFB...

*sigh*

you aren't new around here, come on.

if you think the only thing that should go into ranking high school football players is what they do during games you probably don't need to follow recruiting basically ever. 

that is kind of the entire point of The Opening, Elite 11, All Star game practices, etc - see top tier guys compete against each other and other top competition nationally plus get actual standardized ratings/results instead of the hand timed 40 that Jim Bob recorded at your local middle school field.

if you want to totally ignore what happens at those events, then more power to you, just don't act like they do not matter at all. 

his ranking went up significantly because he played excellently in individual drills, practices and 7 on 7

i get shitting on him because of where he committed, and his ranking is almost guaranteed to go down some but come on man.

On the flipside, TJT is a bad high school team. Throwing it where Kitan isn't should have been a dominant strategy for a bluechip QB.

King's got a lot to work on, but the kid is a mid 4-star based on being a camp star and what I'm assuming was playing really well during the state championship run.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

On the flipside, TJT is a bad high school team. Throwing it where Kitan isn't should have been a dominant strategy for a bluechip QB.

King's got a lot to work on, but the kid is a mid 4-star based on being a camp star and what I'm assuming was playing really well during the state championship run.

It couldn't have just been the state championship run. His TD/Int ratio was 42:4. He should have thrown as many picks last night as he did all last season.

The camps "validated" his gaudy junior season numbers. He should trend downward if he keeps playing like this, but he probably won't because they don't like to admit they were wrong this late in the game.

He'll probably enroll at A&M with sky high expectations around him.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, I do think the vast majority of failures at ranking football players by the services are because of reliance on camp performances. The recruiting services aren't the only people guilty of this, the NFL does it all the time at the combine.

I honestly don't give a single shit about Haynes King, not even based on where he committed. But when your #1 QB in the country looks that bad in an actual football game, you screwed up. Particularly if the reason he's #1 is because of things he did in shorts in drills that can be prepped for but don't have four to five 270 pound linemen coming after you with bad intentions.

Camps aren't football. The recruiting services frequently lose sight of that.

i can generally agree that they focus too much on camp performances but at a certain point it makes a difference to see guys in that position vs playing some shitty team in a 66-3 win

small thing, but he isn't the #1 composite QB in the country - that is the guy committed to Clemson (#11 overall, #1 Pro QB.) King is #25 overall and the #1 Dual Threat, slightly ahead of Bryce Young (#36 overall, #2 DT)

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

true, he is almost assuredly over ranked and will see him bumped back/down (BOMC, obviously) 

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, I do think the vast majority of failures at ranking football players by the services are because of reliance on camp performances. The recruiting services aren't the only people guilty of this, the NFL does it all the time at the combine.

I honestly don't give a single shit about Haynes King, not even based on where he committed. But when your #1 QB in the country looks that bad in an actual football game, you screwed up. Particularly if the reason he's #1 is because of things he did in shorts in drills that can be prepped for but don't have four to five 270 pound linemen coming after you with bad intentions.

Camps aren't football. The recruiting services frequently lose sight of that.

I posted this on another thread, but I watched King play 3 games last year. 

As I have been saying, King is a “good” player, but he’s no 5 star. Last year, they out-athleted everyone and he just had to distribute the ball. It’s not hard throwing to wide open receivers. He just doesn’t have the same talent advantage this year.

The kid is a game manager and nothing more. He fits what Jimbo wants to do. He is NOT the best QB prospect in the country by any stretch of the imagination. Generally, he reminds me of Shane Buechele, but he was bad last night. Once again, the $9.95ers show themselves to be a bunch of non-thinking sheep. He made them look stupid last night. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I posted this on another thread, but I watched King play 3 games last year. 

As I have been saying, King is a “good” player, but he’s no 5 star. Last year, they out-athleted everyone and he just had to distribute the ball. It’s not hard throwing to wide open receivers. He just doesn’t have the same talent advantage this year.

The kid is a game manager and nothing more. He fits what Jimbo wants to do. He is NOT the best QB prospect in the country by any stretch of the imagination. Generally, he reminds me of Shane Buechele, but he was bad last night. Once again, the $9.95ers show themselves to be a bunch of non-thinking sheep. He made them look stupid last night. 

Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that King is a terrible prospect. He's a good player and can be successful in college and really successful in the right spot. My only point is that he was closer to his correct position in the rankings after last football season and before the services started shooting him up the rankings based on things he did in a t-shirt and shorts against air defenders.

The knock is on the people ranking him, not on the player. There's nothing wrong with a kid preparing himself for these overly important camps and performing well at them. That's the kind of work you actually want to see from a prospect. Much better than showing up fat and unprepared like you don't care.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that King is a terrible prospect. He's a good player and can be successful in college and really successful in the right spot. My only point is that he was closer to his correct position in the rankings after last football season and before the services started shooting him up the rankings based on things he did in a t-shirt and shorts against air defenders.

The knock is on the people ranking him, not on the player. There's nothing wrong with a kid preparing himself for these overly important camps and performing well at them. That's the kind of work you actually want to see from a prospect. Much better than showing up fat and unprepared like you don't care.

You’re right. The $9.95ers overreacted to King being largely unnoticed until after the state championship last year and inflated his ranking in a big way. I think he’s a high 3 star or low 4 star. 

21 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Tyrone Swoopes won 2 games one year as probably the biggest athlete in the district.

I mean, have you ever BEEN to Whitewright (population ~1600)?

It looks like he went from being a top 50-80 guy in the country early on to finishing just outside the top 200 and being reclassed to an Athlete. Dude averaged like 12 yards per rushing attempt in High School, his problem was never being an athlete, it was throwing the ball...

not that it would have made a huge difference, but having an actual RS year couldn't have hurt him at all. reminder that Mack burned his RS so he could attempt 13 passes and run it 20 times as one of the most raw QB to be at Texas in the last 20 years.

literally, going into the bowl game he had attempted 7 passes and 12 rushes

fucking Mack and terrible roster management. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re right. The $9.95ers overreacted to King being largely unnoticed until after the state championship last year and inflated his ranking in a big way. I think he’s a high 3 star or low 4 star. 

i thought you were going overboard about him being largely unnoticed, but damn. dude went from being ranked in the 500s in December to being a top 100 player ~6 months later

anyway, IIRC what bumped him was how good he looked passing at the camps - athleticism was never his issue (from a 40 and shuttle perspective he is comparable to McClellan, actually slightly faster at The Opening in both areas)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

anyway, IIRC what bumped him was how good he looked passing at the camps - athleticism was never his issue (from a 40 and shuttle perspective he is comparable to McClellan, actually slightly faster at The Opening in both areas)

It’s that and I think $9.95ers felt they had egg on their faces because he had to be great to lead his team on the championship run, right?! So they took camp performances and that runnand made him a 5 star. But I think most people hadn’t actually seen him or watched him play.

He reminds me of a point guard who gets the ball to the right teammates to score versus one who scores 28 ppg.